Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2012, 08:55 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Wildwood , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to wxbuoy
1991 Classic 350 LE

Well, we finally did it! Picked up the classic moho on Friday afternoon after months of back and forth with the sellers. It is in fair conditions cosmetically, but appeared to be in above average condition mechanically. Has a cummins 6BT diesel engine (front) with 35K original miles and less than 300 hours on the generator (propane). Both seem to be purging like kittens.

Short term goal is to get it the 1200 miles home! Than we have 5 years to get it ready for out working retirement on the road.

We will be leaving NJ with it on Wednesday enroute Memphis TN. Workied picking it up into our Christmas trip to see the family

Will get some good picks of it later when we have had a chance to take some.
Here are two. One of the rig parked outside the in laws and the other of me driving it in rush hour NJ traffic. Was not thrilled with the crazy drivers here!

Vacillating between what have we gotten our selves into and grinning like an idiot!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	646
Size:	350.6 KB
ID:	175148  
Old 12-23-2012, 09:16 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1993 33' Land Yacht
Midland , Michigan
Congratulation on your find. Looks like you have a nice project ahead of you.

https://s1290.photobucket.com/user/gl...58808196506793
gloran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 04:17 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Hey!
Been waiting for this moment!

Congrats and relax and enjoy the drive...

The grin will not go away...
Keyair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 02:02 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Wildwood , Florida
Yeah Key so have we! was out in it for an hour today getting it ready to head home tomorrow. ran the generator and engine. Also got out the manual and learned what all the different switches on the dash did. Hopefully the trip will go smooth. I budgeted 5 days to go 1200 miles.

Will try and do some posts from the road. the 15 minute drive to where it currently sits went well as did the test drive 2 months ago. I have a full tank of diesel and we hit the road in the morning!
Old 12-25-2012, 04:07 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Cool stuff!

We did 1600 miles in 4 night 5 days without stress, so you should be fine!
Old 12-26-2012, 02:23 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Wildwood , Florida
277 down 773 to go

Stopped for the night in Martinsburg, WV. After 7 hours only made 277 miles. Started to snow around 10:30, and just got worse. Barely making 25 mph due to traffic. Roads were horrible and we were looking for a good spot to stop for the night. Stopped on the southern end of the front. Hopefully it will stop snowing this evening and they get the roads clear tonight.

The stream ran like a champ and handled very well in the less than ideal conditions. While it was clear this morning was able to climb through the Appalachian mountains with no issues at all and power to spare. Granted there is nothing in the tanks and no personal gear, but still stayed at 2200 rpm even on the steepest hills. Never down shifted. I was trying to see what the turbo and boost were running, but to much else was going to really read the gauges. Still need to figure out what each actually means as well.

Will definitely look at renewing the bell cranks and stabilizers in the coming months. A little tired and sore from steering all day. Most likely due to the conditions, but there was a bit more play than I would like.

Hopefully the picture of us parked at Cracker Barrel will upload.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	503
Size:	230.3 KB
ID:	175266  
Old 12-26-2012, 03:07 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Perfect... great pic!
Go steady and enjoy the rest!
Old 12-26-2012, 05:42 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Love to know how your Classic is holding up to snowy temps. Are you running both furnaces at night? Do you have auxiliary heater from engine for coach? Good luck with your travels. Take lotsa pix of your travels and share with us
Thanks, Derek
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:55 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Wildwood , Florida
Derek,

I have the auxiliary heater and am running that and the front heater low (65f) for driving. It is winterized and frankly a bit of a mess inside. Since wife and daughter are on this trip as well, we are staying in hotels at night. I can sleep in anything, they won't

I am sure it would do just fine but worth the $$ to keep momma happy with a hot shower and warm bed. Not to mention the tv for the latest weather reports!

Looks like tomorrow will be a much better day weather wise.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:42 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Wildwood , Florida
556 down 497 to go

End of day two. Left a little after 0600 and stopped at 3pm today in Bristol, TN where my daughter goes to college. Switched out cars and her stuff since she will be flying back from Memphis at the end of her Xmas break.

Very windy today. 25 to 35 mph the whole way down 81 and the mountains. A little sore from the steering, but she held her own better than most cars on the road and all the trucks! Had no issues at all on the steep grades. Kept having to slow down due to traffic ahead having issues going up. Easy 60 mph at 2200 rpms, with lots of power to spare. Than on the back side I just took my foot off the gas and it never got above 55 going down the steep grades. Rarely had to use the breaks. Did okay on fuels. For the first 400 miles going across pa and down rt 81 (very moutanous) and the 3 hours of 5 to 20 mph yesterday in the snow was still able to get 11.7 mpg. Which I am quite happy with.

I attached a picture from this morning before I took off. First thing we are doing when we get back is give it a good bath top and bottom to get all the dirt and any road chemicals off.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	418
Size:	323.0 KB
ID:	175295  
Old 12-27-2012, 02:09 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Wow, quite the adventure!

Nearly 12mpg in such conditions sounds very promising to me!
Best we did was 8.4mpg in steady freeway stuff.
In better conditions, I bet you will be knocking on the 15mpg door!
This info vindicates my mental direction for a BT6 in our 345.
Our 345 did better than I expected in crosswinds, but, did you check the pressures in your front airbags?
I had none in during my 1600 mile maiden voyage, as I was green and unaware I even had them! They make a difference I heard.

How does it feel sitting out there over the front wheels? LOL... it felt odd to me for the first 500, then I started to really enjoy the panoramic view and began to feel like the King Of The Road!

Keep the pics and stories coming please!
Old 12-27-2012, 05:51 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Sure you're having a great trip in your "new" Airstream Classic motorhome. Enjoy the drive, be safe. Thanks, Derek
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:54 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Wildwood , Florida
In the bag

key,

Finally had a chance to check the front ones out today. I was really worried about the back ones from the look of them. They appear to be loosing air overnight and are on the short list of things to fix before the next outing in march/April. Front ones had only a few pounds. Filled them to 55lbs. Will let you know if there is any difference tomorrow. Road great though even with out the air in them. Didn't feel like it was hitting the stops but like you on your first trip, how would I now.

I am going to start an airstream classic buyers ride along program. Newbies can ride along for a day with an experienced owner and learn what they are looking at before they buy. Kinda like a mentoring program.

On the bright side the DW decided she wants to forgo vacations and such and put all the money into fixing up the stream!

Going to try and post 2 picks tonight. Have only been able to post one in the past. Too tired to try and figure it out!
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	718
Size:	235.9 KB
ID:	175335  
Old 12-27-2012, 05:58 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Dave,
Clearly the woman has great taste... not only proven by choosing you... but in deciding that the Airstream Motorhome will be her project too!

Rest... and post more when you can... we are with you in spirit!
Old 12-28-2012, 09:34 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Wildwood , Florida
stopped at cracker barrel for lunch/late breakfast. Posted the other pic that didn't make it yesterday. stopped after about an hour and filled up. wanted to get a better gauge of how it was doing in the mountains with out the snow. even with the bad wind from the day before. I got 13.9mpg! and i was not taking it easy. i actually had to ease off since i found myself doing 70 up the grades! my wife is now in front in the crv and not following to keep me in line LOL!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-3151542706.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	342.9 KB
ID:	175357  
Old 12-28-2012, 10:59 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
The first morning I stepped out of our 'new' rig and looked, I felt a thrill and awed sense of ownership...THIS IS REALLY OURS>>>THIS IS REALLY HAPPENING>>>
Sometimes, now, I forget that feeling when I'm up to my elbows inside the learning curve, but newer arrivals remind me that it WAS a conscious choice, it WAS the right choice, and I wouldn't trade that feeling for anything...Thanks, Dave and Felicia, for another spark...m
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:12 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
I think the spotlamp on the roof tipped up like that is hurting the aerodynamic performance of the MH, Dave...
Old 12-28-2012, 01:35 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxbuoy View Post
...i actually had to ease off since i found myself doing 70 up the grades! my wife is now in front in the crv and not following to keep me in line LOL!
Now that certainly got a laugh out of me!

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:46 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Wildwood , Florida
Last 497 miles done...

Finally got home today! Very tired and sore from all the driving, but with a great sense of pride and accomplishment.

So a quick look back:

1050 miles with no issues what so ever!

Only things I had to do was open the drain on the fuel filter for a few seconds when the "water in fuel" light cam on this morning. Took 2 minutes. And put air in the front air shocks (thanks Key!)

It isn't pretty to look at yet (but will be), but it is mechanically in great shape. Cosmetically it is a 4, mechanically it is a 9+

There is even the fancy adjustable heated mirrors that work! Although I definitely have a case of mirror envy from Key and bkahler... I can't find any option that the original owner didn't get... If he was still alive, I would send him a fruit basket for getting the turbo diesel!

Have re-racked my priority ; list of things to do; first on the list is a camera pointed out the passenger window with a remote shutter switch on the steering wheel. I would have paid anything to get a picture of the guy's face driving the sissy white hummer as I passed him doing 70+ going up a very long steep grade. It was a combination of shock and emasculation... Almost like my face when the wife called and told me to slow down going up the steep hills! Suffering from low -T? Get an Airstream!!

We have moved from 20% thrill 80% terror of what have we done to 90% thrill and 10% now what are we going to do!

Tomorrow, we are taking it to the camp ground on base to give it a good field day and clean off any road chemicals. Will post a few better shots after she has had a bath.

The guard coming onto base summed it up for us. Since we live on a secure military installation, they are very anal retentive about new vehicles coming on base. It is about 5 minutes of going over registration, proof of insurance, etc. If it is not all perfect, they turn you around.... So I roll up, ready with all the paper work, my id and what ever else they need. I stop, slide open the drivers window (I had to figure out how to open it at the last rest stop!LOL!). With the diesel thrumming away he just stares blankly up and down the beast. Finally he and the other guard look at me and say "Where on earth did you get this? I said: I just drove back from New Jersey. He looks at me and ask "where are you going with it?" So I reply; To the storage lot to park it and start the restoration. He just stares at me, grins and say "Enjoy" and waved me through. No paper check, no nuthin! They watched me the whole way up the street!

We need to have a classic rally!! We are so stoked right now.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:00 PM   #20
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Congratulations, Dave and Felicia! That is one fine looking vehicle. And from what you have said, it sounds like it's in really good shape as well; what a bonus that is!