Old 02-10-2013, 04:19 PM   #113
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Dave,

I will echo what others have said about the front vent panel. Our 310 is set up to just pull out although it's not easy to remove it all the way due to the pocket on the wall side panel. It's a really tight fit but then the 310 cover has carpet wrapped around it making it a wedge fit.

Good luck!

Brad

bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:41 PM   #114
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
At mine now... no sign of any extra screws i can see. Fits in groove on underside of dash tho so pull from bottom. Will post pics when i get home.

Old 02-10-2013, 04:45 PM   #115
Rivet Master

1991 35' Airstream 350
Carriere , Mississippi
Send a message via Skype™ to wxbuoy
Key,

Would love to see the pic. I tried pulling from the bottom as well with no luck.. HAs to be factory since the original carpet is still on it and the firewall cover on the back side is undisturbed.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:21 PM   #116
Rivet Master

1993 33' Land Yacht
Midland , Michigan
On my 1993 there is a small L bracket screwed to the back side of the panel and then screwed to the floor. Reach through the vent feel along bottom backside edge to check.

http://s1290.photobucket.com/user/gl...58808196506793
gloran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:27 PM   #117
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Hope these help...

Yup... the corner of the panel is wet and rotten...

Old 02-11-2013, 04:01 AM   #118
Rivet Master

1991 35' Airstream 350
Carriere , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by gloran View Post
On my 1993 there is a small L bracket screwed to the back side of the panel and then screwed to the floor. Reach through the vent feel along bottom backside edge to check.
I thought I gave everything a good once over including the inside of the vent, but will check again after work tonight. Will let you know thanks!
Old 02-11-2013, 04:04 AM   #119
Rivet Master

1991 35' Airstream 350
Carriere , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyair View Post
Hope these help...

Yup... the corner of the panel is wet and rotten...

That looks like the exact same set up right down to the rotten wood on the corner!

I am heading over after work today to take another stab at it.....

Hopefully with pictures in hand I can figure it out! Thanks for the inside look so I have a better idea of what I am dealing with!
Old 02-11-2013, 04:08 AM   #120
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Dave, you're up early

You might want to check your evaporator drain and make sure its not plugged.

The drain should be below the evaporator unit.

Brad
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:15 AM   #121
Rivet Master

1991 35' Airstream 350
Carriere , Mississippi
Brad

Yeah I am an early riser. Slept in till 0430 today .

will check the drain when I am finally able ti get the cover off.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:00 PM   #122
Rivet Master

1991 35' Airstream 350
Carriere , Mississippi
Finally figured it out

Well, got the front passenger cover off! Man what a PITA! Actually had I sat there with a beer and thought about what the PO did I might have figured it out with out Keys pictures. OK it would have taken quite a few beers!

Sooooo below in the first photo of the cover in place you will note two screws. Well what they were were attachment points for a magazine holder that slipped over the screws. The cover was not stuck in that area, but I removed them none the less. Anyway, I felt the carpet real good and couldn't detect any screw heads or such beneath it, just solid flat wood. Then I removed the vent cover thinking that might help. Notta.

So today, I went over with Keys photos in hand and looked the thing over. What I saw was that he didn't have the magazine rack screws. He also said it kinda slipped in from the bottom up under the dash. So how do you keep something that slips under something on the top in place. So I started to cut the carpet off the cover and on the very edge of the opening, where the carpet rolled over and the metal grate covered it. And there it was! A flat head wood screw! The cover must have kept coming off when they went to get a magazine out of the rack so the PO took the grate off, drilled a small hole through the carpet and into the wood and than put the wood screw in, carefully working it through the carpet so there was no trace of it when the carpet was brushed. Since the screw was a flat head and therefore flush with the wood underneath and now covered by the carpet, when the vent cover was screwed back on, there was no way to tell what was done. Heck with the vent cover off there was no way to know what was done!! You can see the location on the left upper corner of the weather stripping.

Which reminds me. I need to star a book on things I do so the next person after I have left this earth will have an idea of why things are they way they are. I will also put a copy of this thread in there

Ironic that he took so mush care to hide the screw, but put a household 110v outlet on the back bumper

Oh and check out what was written on the back!

I am now celebrating with a glass of port! Like I tell my wife, it is the small things in life that make you happy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7970 (Large).JPG
Views:	74
Size:	218.0 KB
ID:	178799   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1292 (Large).JPG
Views:	73
Size:	199.1 KB
ID:	178800  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1294 (Large).JPG
Views:	71
Size:	159.0 KB
ID:	178801  
Old 02-11-2013, 08:16 PM   #123
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxbuoy View Post
Like I tell my wife, it is the small things in life that make you happy
Well, as long as she does not say that back at ya!

LOL, thats great news!

Aside from the rot that is!
Old 02-12-2013, 06:00 PM   #124
Rivet Master

1991 35' Airstream 350
Carriere , Mississippi
Just saw this and feeling pretty good about our decision.

1991 350 LE Classic Motorhome - Airstream Trailer Classifieds - Airstreams Trailers For Sale

Granted what we are doing is not for everyone.... nor should be tried by everyone. Which probably includes us!
Old 02-12-2013, 08:16 PM   #125
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
So, what is the plan???

On mine I have the sofa on the drivers side, then dinette right opposite... which is cool, but has downsides...
I like that setup as it means that (when I add seatbelts to dinette), up to 7 people can all be grouped in that area and interact, yet watch the world go by. In this mode, we can have 9 people seated(with cockpit seats) at a pinch.
Down side is that at bedtime, it would be too personal for adults to sleep on sofabed and dinette... but ok for kids, or 2 adults and up to a couple of their kids.
I saw one 345 where the normal barrel chairs were gone, and he had a electric fireplace on that wall, with a TV above.

I guess it all comes down to who and how many you might travel with or have stay...
Interested to hear your plans or ideas!
Old 02-13-2013, 04:02 AM   #126
Rivet Master

1991 35' Airstream 350
Carriere , Mississippi
Quote:
So, what is the plan???

On mine I have the sofa on the drivers side, then dinette right opposite... which is cool, but has downsides...
I like that setup as it means that (when I add seatbelts to dinette), up to 7 people can all be grouped in that area and interact, yet watch the world go by. In this mode, we can have 9 people seated(with cockpit seats) at a pinch.
Down side is that at bedtime, it would be too personal for adults to sleep on sofabed and dinette... but ok for kids, or 2 adults and up to a couple of their kids.
I saw one 345 where the normal barrel chairs were gone, and he had a electric fireplace on that wall, with a TV above.

I guess it all comes down to who and how many you might travel with or have stay...
Interested to hear your plans or ideas!
What a great question! One I keep asking myself!

Quote:
That was the original plan since we really didn't like the barrel chairs. We really wanted to put in some nice lounge chairs instead of the gaucho. However with the compartment underneath that sticks up into the main salon we would need to switch sides. So the entertainment stuff would be on the drivers side and the lounge chairs on the passengers side. However, this would not allow for passengers due to seating not being vehicle rated nor with seat belts... Still vacillating on this. We are still fooling with ideas now that the space is wide open and we can see what things would look like. Once I get the sub-floor finished we will be sealing it good and using dry erase markers to draw out ideas before I lay down the laminate. Still wide open and looking daily at every interior I can find on the web for ideas.

We will most likely be re-purposing the dinette area. I think we can come up with a more functional lay out that allows for a desk/work area that expands into a table eating are if needed. We are traveling this week-end so since I can't work on the moho I will be sketching out some ideas.