Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2013, 06:38 AM   #141
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Wildwood , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to wxbuoy
Time to get off my @$$.... have had a few weeks with no progress due to weather and back issues. I have had lots of time to sit here and read/research. Sometimes I don't know if that is a good thing or not. It avoids a lot of mistakes, but makes you question every decision and keeps moving the bar higher for the end project! Between Keyair's exterior and Dad's toy interior I have become manic depressive. That would be cool! My skills Suk

Today I am going to just knock out some small projects so I can feel like something is getting done. With the warm (er) weather in the 50's finally here, I need to look at the cab side windows and make some preps to re-gasket them tomorrow, at least one anyway. I have all the stuff just need to look at them and reread some airforum posts. I am sure Keyair will be hearing from me as well

I also want to take a look at the roof vents and general condition.

I need to sand some of the wood that has glue left on it by the entrance so I can paint the OSB to help protect it.

Need to remove/stow all the tools and stuff that have built up in the moho during the demolition.

I need to measure the hose from the engine to the aux heater and water heater so I can find a source of supply to replace when I flush the cooling system on the beast.

I have to figure out how to flush the cooling system

First thing is to get another cup of java, and get over there. It is nice haveing it so close by (1 mile) but I can't wait till it's dewinterized so I can use the installed head! I don't know which is smaller my mechanical ability or my bladder. Both are causing significant delays in this project
Old 03-09-2013, 06:54 AM   #142
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxbuoy View Post

Today I am going to just knock out some small projects so I can feel like something is getting done. With the warm (er) weather in the 50's finally here, I need to look at the cab side windows and make some preps to re-gasket them tomorrow, at least one anyway. I have all the stuff just need to look at them and reread some airforum posts. I am sure Keyair will be hearing from me as well
I hope you went with this rubber/felt stuff for your sliding windows, the one with the metal makes it hard to use the windows. This stuff also is easy to slice at the back for rounding the corners.

AS1268 Flexible Flocked Lining All-Rubber | Hi-Tech Glazing Supplies
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 04:00 AM   #143
Rivet Master

Wildwood , Florida
Time passes as quickly as $$

It's been a month since my last post. Boy time and money sure goes by quickly!!

Well, a funny thing happened on the way to the airstream.... well not funny haha. Anyway after posting last time I went out to go over and my car tire was flat. Well that's not good.

Took it off, went to get it patched and back on.... There went the morning! So I got all the sanding glue clean up done. Spoke to Keyair about how to do the windows. Plan was to do them on Sunday first thing. Weather was gonna be good......

Well, I for one don't consider T-storms good, but thats what we had. Rained all fricken day! It was to rainy to seal the wood or do any other projects so it would have to wait for another day.

The next week-end we were traveling. Finally we were back. Truck was smoking like a banshee and being temperamental. with 135K and a 2003 duramax, I unfortunately knew the cause..... And we have a long trip with the trailer coming up. So I had to get it taken care of. You guessed it. It needed new injectors. Ouch! So some funds in the "fix the Moho" got diverted Since DW wouldn't let me touch the anniversary trip funds..... I cried and pouted a bit but eventually got over it.

More rain, more travels..... 2 weeks till we take the trailer (yeah we are camping some week-ends in the trailer while we fix up the Moho ) to Stone mountain Ga. So we pulled the trailer around yesterday to de-winterize it, do the seasonal maintenance etc....

Finally yesterday afternoon we were able to put the trailer back, ready to go (just add consumables) and start back on the Moho. It was a bright, warm sunny day. This was the perfect day to do the cab side windows!

I have spent weeks now reading every post that has to deal with this. Spoken to Keyair who has actually done it. Gotten all the gasket parts from Inland RV. Let's do this!

Well let me say that taking it apart was tricky, but easily manageable. Not breaking the glass was the biggest concern!

So I now had the window out (and cleaned...there was algae on the bottom ) the replacement schlegel cut to size (with a tad extra). Let's do this. For those of you not familiar with what a schlegel is it is a "U" shaped flexible channel that the window sits in and helps wx seal it. It is a German word that means impossible to install unless you have installed it before.

So after 30 minutes of failed attempts I give Keyair a call. I am in a very dark place. IF airstream made a simple window gasket this difficult, I am way over my head! I am sure if I just scrapped it now I could get $1000 for it right? At that moment I would have given it to someone offering a large Pizza and 6 pack of beer!

Steve talked me off the ledge.... Although he didn't quite convince me it wouldn't be fun to shove the Moho off it though! But I had a plan. Seems there was a brown gluey residue in the aluminum channel. I had to get all that stuff out of there. This of course is the channel which sections that require cleaning are not easily accessible. So a bottle of nail polish remover (acetone) and a whole bunch of scraping with a screw driver and scrubbing with a rag it was finally cleaned up enough ( I fricken hoped so anyway).

Tried it again, nodda, nothing zip. Wouldn't freaken budge! Call Steve my AA rep (Airstream advocate as he says!) Well, seems I missed a subtle trick in the process.... Put the bottom in first (while holding the glass) gently rock it back and forth (while keeping the glass from breaking) until you have worked the bottom and only the bottoms section of schlegel forward (while keeping the glass from breaking and popping into the other track which it wants to do). Once the bottom is in place start the top (while holding the glass to keep from breaking) it now becomes a tighter mess (and you are sure your going to break it). Once the schlegel is past the leading edge on top you can use a pair of needle nose pliers to help it along a bit (because you realized that you purposely added some extra in case the pliers messed up the schlegel, You would be trimming to size). This is also the point where you put the back into the track so that the bottom and back are installed and you work the remaining slack forward on the top.

Confused? I was until I did it. Once you do it it make perfect sense as they say! Actually, it is still a stupid design with a ridiculous hard to operate window!

Well below are some pictures. I will take loads more today when I do the drivers side now that I kinda know what I am doing (THANKS STEVE!)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1419 (Medium).JPG
Views:	130
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	182655   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1420 (Medium).JPG
Views:	139
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	182656  

Name:	IMG_1422 (Medium).JPG
Views:	158
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	182657   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1423 (Medium).JPG
Views:	130
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	182658  

Old 04-07-2013, 04:07 AM   #144
Rivet Master

Wildwood , Florida
Almost forgot.... The schlegel that Inland RV sent had this "joint" in it. It was right smack in a section that would be under the window on the drivers side installation! Well, knowing how hard it was to install (and operate the window) I wont use that one. Luckily I have extra piece that was ordered by the previous owner from Inland and never installed (I understand why now! ).

I will definitely be seeing if I can send it back. I would be up the creek if I didn't have the extra piece!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1424 (Medium).JPG
Views:	108
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	182659   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1425 (Medium).JPG
Views:	109
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	182660  

Old 04-07-2013, 10:42 AM   #145
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Looking good you guys!
Glad to be your Sponser!
Keyair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:16 PM   #146
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Dave,

Now that you're an expert at replacing these window seals and since you're only about 350 miles from me maybe you could stop by in a couple of weeks and help me replace mine

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:38 AM   #147
Rivet Master

Wildwood , Florida
Brad,

Sounds like a plan since I know you have mechanical skills I can use! I have the drivers side to do next week-end. Hopefully I can take a lot of pics and document the process. There were allot of tricks I learned after doing it!
Old 04-14-2013, 07:42 AM   #148
Rivet Master

Wildwood , Florida
Drivers side cab window is done!

Spent the morning yesterday removing and replacing the wx sealing system on the drivers side window. Took lots of pics and am writing up a How to guide for the next person (and me if I keep it as long as I think!).

It is not a hard job, but it is mentally tiring. The whole time you are tweaking a piece of glass back and forth that seems flimsy and way to big for the opening..... and costs allot of money! An adult beverage afterwards is definitely recommended!

Opened up all the awnings, washed them down and let them dry.

cleaned up all the tools and stowed stuff.

Filled the black and grey water tanks and drained/checked for valve operation.

put some water and enzymes with some sugar in the black and grey tanks to loosen any remnants.... (polite term for black tank poo pillars)

Filled and drained the freshwater tank. Checked for leaks. Nothing yet.

Check operation of the auto fill valve on the freshwater tank. Works but not allot of flow..... Will put on list for later (2016? )

half filled water tank with super chlorinated water (20 ppm). Gonna drive around a bit today to get it sloshing in the tank and drain. The next time I work on it I will fill it and do a Cl drop test to see if there is any algae I can't see.

The rest of today will be filled with packing out the trailer for our trip to the Stone Mountain Rally in GA.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:55 PM   #149
Athens GA

1995 28' Excella
1989 34' Excella
1986 31' Sovereign
1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Athens , Georgia
Quote:
Spent the morning yesterday removing and replacing the wx sealing system on the drivers side window. Took lots of pics and am writing up a How to guide for the next person (and me if I keep it as long as I think!).

It is not a hard job, but it is mentally tiring. The whole time you are tweaking a piece of glass back and forth that seems flimsy and way to big for the opening..... and costs allot of money! An adult beverage afterwards is definitely recommended!

Opened up all the awnings, washed them down and let them dry.

cleaned up all the tools and stowed stuff.

Filled the black and grey water tanks and drained/checked for valve operation.

put some water and enzymes with some sugar in the black and grey tanks to loosen any remnants.... (polite term for black tank poo pillars)

Filled and drained the freshwater tank. Checked for leaks. Nothing yet.

Check operation of the auto fill valve on the freshwater tank. Works but not allot of flow..... Will put on list for later (2016? )

half filled water tank with super chlorinated water (20 ppm). Gonna drive around a bit today to get it sloshing in the tank and drain. The next time I work on it I will fill it and do a Cl drop test to see if there is any algae I can't see.

The rest of today will be filled with packing out the trailer for our trip to the Stone Mountain Rally in GA.
Going to stone mountain? Maybe we will try to go. I will check the reservations. I will bring the 345.
Old 04-14-2013, 03:26 PM   #150
Rivet Master

Wildwood , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrtle lynn View Post
Going to stone mountain? Maybe we will try to go. I will check the reservations. I will bring the 345.
That would be cool! Although we are taking the trailer and not the MoHo on this outing Hope you can make it! Would love to see your 345 and talk polish!! (and floors, windows, piping, sealing, and what ever else is ailing me!)
Old 05-17-2013, 07:33 PM   #151
Rivet Master

Wildwood , Florida
Well, time for a little update....

Work has been extremely busy with the Mississippi River up so high.... It has been raining every weekend so I have had no chance to do anything substantial Did clean out the inside after all the demolition. Bug bombed it also. Seemed to be a lot of stink bugs in there. They are all dead now.

Took the Moho to the mechanic 2 weeks ago for him to go over every system and start a punch list. Since he knows my situation he is doing it as he has slow periods to save me $$.

Also took the co-pilots Capn's chair over to have re-upholstered. If it turns out decent we will take the rest of the stuff over.

Still undecided on what floor to put down. I lover the heavy duty vinyl but the weight concerns me. The laminates are nice but getting water on them.... choices, choices....

I am headed over to the MoHo Rally in Crossville TN tomorrow sans MoHo I am excited to see the other MoHo's Have camera ready!
Old 05-18-2013, 06:12 PM   #152
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
MoHo rally? Cool! Yesterday we passed an eastbound classic Moho on I-10 around Mobile Ala. Thats only the 2nd or 3rd I've ever seen on the road.

Y'all have fun!
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:43 AM   #153
Rivet Master

Wildwood , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV View Post
MoHo rally? Cool! Yesterday we passed an eastbound classic Moho on I-10 around Mobile Ala. Thats only the 2nd or 3rd I've ever seen on the road.

Y'all have fun!
It was cool to see the other mohos who had already done what we are planning to do!

I have yet to see a MoHo in travels! if i didnt drive mine I would swear they never move
Old 06-01-2013, 07:29 PM   #154
Rivet Master

Wildwood , Florida
Time for a little update

Well between work and the rain, not much has gotten done. I finally go the MoHo back from the mechanic. He went through every system and said it is in pristine mechanical shape and not even broken in yet. He determined the previous (in NJ) shop put on the wrong belt which was why I was having a belt squeal. He also said they installed the wrong belt tensioner for it as well. He will order a new belt tensioner since the current one is working, but he had to take off the A/C belt which was rubbing.

He flushed all the fluids, checked the brakes and shaft brake, power steering etc. He is getting me the new tensioner and having me come in when he puts it on so he can show me the easiest way to do a road side belt swap if I ever get stuck. The only thing he put on the punch list was for me to wrap the turbo and exhaust pipes to help cut down on the heat.

I feel great about the beast now since it is in as good mechanical condition as I thought. It is still an eye sore and tore up inside..... but;.....

Today went over and removed most of the stuff out of the bed room. After seeing some other units at the MoHo's in May Rally, We decided to go with twin beds. It will give us more room to move around, better storage space, and accommodate our sleep patterns. As they say everything else.... well that's what they make kitchen counters for! LOL! Which reminds me I have to beef up the dinette table.

After I removed some of the panels it looks like it was originally a twin bed model! The twins were used to make the current bed. You can clearly see the rivet holes going down the bulked head after I took off the mouse fur.

Woodja and Cmadmaxman are getting me some measurements and pics.... I thingk I am going to go with Keyair's idea of two smaller water tanks vice the 80 gallon one. I feel it is to much weight (600+ lbs) on one side of the coach. Plus we just need enough water to flush the toilet when we travel. If we are going to boon dock or something, we can fill up the second one as well.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bedroom demo.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	284.4 KB
ID:	187135  
Old 06-02-2013, 11:11 PM   #155
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
The twins are a good idea. Mine has a queen with very little room on the sides and foot of the bed. Twins are not an option as the engine is under the bed. I'm going to move the bed aft and give up the storage under the foot of the bed.
Kota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 03:15 AM   #156
Rivet Master

Wildwood , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
The twins are a good idea. Mine has a queen with very little room on the sides and foot of the bed. Twins are not an option as the engine is under the bed. I'm going to move the bed aft and give up the storage under the foot of the bed.
Please post some pics when you do! If my diesel was back aft I would happily keep the queen.... It has to be so much easier to work on!! I am sure the noise difference is great as well. I am still in my adolescent phase where the thrumming of the diesel make me grin But will be putting additional sound proofing in for the wife. Which by the way when she complains that you can't hear her over the noise of the engine, the wrong comeback is "I love that engine".....
Old 08-04-2013, 06:19 PM   #157
Rivet Master

Wildwood , Florida
re posting to keep this thread up to date.

Well I have finally had time the last few weeks to work on the moho on a limited basis. We were too busy the first part of the summer going camping then the 25th anniversary in July... So finally back to the grind stone.
Here is a shot of what I have done so far. The bedroom is completely empty and the mouse fur stripped off the walls and overhead. We are waiting for some special order wall paper (textured vinyl that looks like brown leather). Don't say a word... sometimes you just have to say "yes dear"!

I plan on coating the floor with WEST epoxy to seal it. The only problem is I am in an infinite loop trying to decide between 30" mattress and 32"....

The blue chalk lines are laid out at 32" which is perfect match to the hallway and would allow 1" either side for sheets, blankets, etc... and a 22" isle. How ever, If I tweaked it out 2" on each side I would get a 32" mattress and still have a 18" mattress. However with the curve of the back end I would have a gap of 13" at the head of the bed.... Unless I angled the heads of the bed together like they do on boats. that would make the head narrower but the berths wider. Allowing me to slide the mattress forward so I have the 13" of space at the foot of the bed, and still plenty of room to change, etc.

Anyone have any thoughts? I kinda like the boat idea....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	GOPR0777 (Medium).JPG
Views:	156
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	192461   Click image for larger version

Name:	racks.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	199.7 KB
ID:	192462  

Old 08-04-2013, 06:37 PM   #158
Rivet Master

Wildwood , Florida
West Epoxy

Well as you cab see by the previous post, I have some staining (from water fill pipe) and a tad of de-lamination of the OSB flooring. It is only about th top 1/16" in the dark colors are and a spot about the size of a coffee cup towards the top that is messed up to about an 1/8" to 1/4".

Spent allot of time thinking about replacing the whole section, but I came to the conclusions that by patching in a new pices of plywood I would damage the structure far more than if I left it alone.

So I got some WEST epoxy and coated the whole area with 2 coats. The OSB sucked in all of the first coat! After the second coat it was hard as a rock!. I than put some high deisty filler powder in the 3rd batch to level the whole thing. I plan on going back tomorrow night and epoxy bond a patch of 1/8" Luan that I cut to size over the treated area. Over kill I know, but it is going to be under the new twin bed and may have water on it again, so why not. Also it gave me a chance to play around with the west epoxy syste. That stuff it very $$$$ but it is amazing and the best epoxy system I have ever used!

Later in the week I am going to go to Lowe's and get some "Restore" deck paint. to pain the rest of the OSB to fill the OSB and lock it down. Not to mention water proof it. I was contemplating using WEST epoxy, but that would cost about $00 to do the whole thing!

Will post some pics later when I get eh patch in place.

Starting to get into the grove now that our trailer is sold.... We had to sell it cause all we did is go camping and not work on the MoHo!! Not to mention the money can be out right back into the MoHo
Old 08-05-2013, 05:21 AM   #159
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
.... We are waiting for some special order wall paper (textured vinyl that looks like brown leather)..........
Conventional vinyl wallpaper does not work on interior walls and ceilings.Besides the adhesion problem, it will shrink during the heat of 1 summer.
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:03 PM   #160
Rivet Master

Wildwood , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH-Airstreamer View Post
Conventional vinyl wallpaper does not work on interior walls and ceilings.Besides the adhesion problem, it will shrink during the heat of 1 summer.
Hmmmm hadn't thought about the shrinkage issue. It requires a special glue instead of just the standard wallpaper paste/glue. I am hoping that the product we ordered will work... If not, It's not the first time (nor the last) that I have had to redo something....