Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2013, 05:15 AM   #121
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Wildwood , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to wxbuoy
Brad

Yeah I am an early riser. Slept in till 0430 today .

will check the drain when I am finally able ti get the cover off.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:00 PM   #122
Rivet Master

Wildwood , Florida
Finally figured it out

Well, got the front passenger cover off! Man what a PITA! Actually had I sat there with a beer and thought about what the PO did I might have figured it out with out Keys pictures. OK it would have taken quite a few beers!

Sooooo below in the first photo of the cover in place you will note two screws. Well what they were were attachment points for a magazine holder that slipped over the screws. The cover was not stuck in that area, but I removed them none the less. Anyway, I felt the carpet real good and couldn't detect any screw heads or such beneath it, just solid flat wood. Then I removed the vent cover thinking that might help. Notta.

So today, I went over with Keys photos in hand and looked the thing over. What I saw was that he didn't have the magazine rack screws. He also said it kinda slipped in from the bottom up under the dash. So how do you keep something that slips under something on the top in place. So I started to cut the carpet off the cover and on the very edge of the opening, where the carpet rolled over and the metal grate covered it. And there it was! A flat head wood screw! The cover must have kept coming off when they went to get a magazine out of the rack so the PO took the grate off, drilled a small hole through the carpet and into the wood and than put the wood screw in, carefully working it through the carpet so there was no trace of it when the carpet was brushed. Since the screw was a flat head and therefore flush with the wood underneath and now covered by the carpet, when the vent cover was screwed back on, there was no way to tell what was done. Heck with the vent cover off there was no way to know what was done!! You can see the location on the left upper corner of the weather stripping.

Which reminds me. I need to star a book on things I do so the next person after I have left this earth will have an idea of why things are they way they are. I will also put a copy of this thread in there

Ironic that he took so mush care to hide the screw, but put a household 110v outlet on the back bumper

Oh and check out what was written on the back!

I am now celebrating with a glass of port! Like I tell my wife, it is the small things in life that make you happy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7970 (Large).JPG
Views:	135
Size:	218.0 KB
ID:	178799   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1292 (Large).JPG
Views:	145
Size:	199.1 KB
ID:	178800  

Name:	IMG_1294 (Large).JPG
Views:	127
Size:	159.0 KB
ID:	178801  
Old 02-11-2013, 08:16 PM   #123
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxbuoy View Post
Like I tell my wife, it is the small things in life that make you happy
Well, as long as she does not say that back at ya!

LOL, thats great news!

Aside from the rot that is!
Keyair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:00 PM   #124
Rivet Master

Wildwood , Florida
Just saw this and feeling pretty good about our decision.

1991 350 LE Classic Motorhome - Airstream Trailer Classifieds - Airstreams Trailers For Sale

Granted what we are doing is not for everyone.... nor should be tried by everyone. Which probably includes us!
Old 02-12-2013, 08:16 PM   #125
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
So, what is the plan???

On mine I have the sofa on the drivers side, then dinette right opposite... which is cool, but has downsides...
I like that setup as it means that (when I add seatbelts to dinette), up to 7 people can all be grouped in that area and interact, yet watch the world go by. In this mode, we can have 9 people seated(with cockpit seats) at a pinch.
Down side is that at bedtime, it would be too personal for adults to sleep on sofabed and dinette... but ok for kids, or 2 adults and up to a couple of their kids.
I saw one 345 where the normal barrel chairs were gone, and he had a electric fireplace on that wall, with a TV above.

I guess it all comes down to who and how many you might travel with or have stay...
Interested to hear your plans or ideas!
Old 02-13-2013, 04:02 AM   #126
Rivet Master

Wildwood , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyair View Post
So, what is the plan???

On mine I have the sofa on the drivers side, then dinette right opposite... which is cool, but has downsides...
I like that setup as it means that (when I add seatbelts to dinette), up to 7 people can all be grouped in that area and interact, yet watch the world go by. In this mode, we can have 9 people seated(with cockpit seats) at a pinch.
Down side is that at bedtime, it would be too personal for adults to sleep on sofabed and dinette... but ok for kids, or 2 adults and up to a couple of their kids.
I saw one 345 where the normal barrel chairs were gone, and he had a electric fireplace on that wall, with a TV above.

I guess it all comes down to who and how many you might travel with or have stay...
Interested to hear your plans or ideas!
What a great question! One I keep asking myself!

Quote:
That was the original plan since we really didn't like the barrel chairs. We really wanted to put in some nice lounge chairs instead of the gaucho. However with the compartment underneath that sticks up into the main salon we would need to switch sides. So the entertainment stuff would be on the drivers side and the lounge chairs on the passengers side. However, this would not allow for passengers due to seating not being vehicle rated nor with seat belts... Still vacillating on this. We are still fooling with ideas now that the space is wide open and we can see what things would look like. Once I get the sub-floor finished we will be sealing it good and using dry erase markers to draw out ideas before I lay down the laminate. Still wide open and looking daily at every interior I can find on the web for ideas.

We will most likely be re-purposing the dinette area. I think we can come up with a more functional lay out that allows for a desk/work area that expands into a table eating are if needed. We are traveling this week-end so since I can't work on the moho I will be sketching out some ideas.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:25 AM   #127
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
So, the plan is not to have any optional extra sleeping quarters up front?

Do not stress about the warning stickers for seatbelts(in my opinion), as if you look at the way the others are bolted thru, it would be easy to achieve the the same mounting strength or better wherever you choose to have seating.

Places to look for ideas....

RV Furniture,Seats,RV Marine Boat Furniture Sofa Beds

RV Mods, RV Modifications, RV Upgrades, RV Tips, RV eBooks | ModMyRV.com
Old 02-13-2013, 05:41 PM   #128
Rivet Master

Wildwood , Florida
Quote:
So, the plan is not to have any optional extra sleeping quarters up front?

Do not stress about the warning stickers for seatbelts(in my opinion), as if you look at the way the others are bolted thru, it would be easy to achieve the the same mounting strength or better wherever you choose to have seating.
That is one of the issues we are thinking about. Currently we have no plans to travel with anyone. However we realize it would be wise during this remodel to put in seating for up to 3 additional people. We don't plan on using it as a party bus or any kind of bus for that matter, but realize we may want to take some family or friends along for the ride. So 3 should about do it for us. Which is one of the reasons to bring back the gaucho.

I am not worried about the mounting strength of the seat belt but the structural integrity of the seat. For instance the dinette seats would collapse under any type of force. They are designed strictly for downward force with little lateral forces taken into consideration. An accident would change the dynamic though. Which would moot the whole reason to put seat belts in.

We may just keep the barrel chairs in storage and leave the holes in place but capped so we can add seating when and if we need to. We are still looking at what we expect our needs to be and than figure out what can be accommodated.

I have actually been looking at the first link for new captains chairs for the cockpit. will order and install them when the leaks are fixed. Which hopefully will be prior to May. The week-end of Mat 17 will be it's first official outing during the rehab process.

Will be looking at the second link extensively over the week-end. Thanks!
Old 02-24-2013, 04:01 PM   #129
Rivet Master

Wildwood , Florida
The floor plans; they are a changin

Finally had a week-end that I could work on the MoHo. I have been traveling for work and other commitments on the week-ends.

Well, finally have everything out forward of the refrigerator. One big ole empty....

Took a little bit of elbow grease to pull up the wood floor in the kitchen. It is a shame it couldn't be saved, but we could not find a matching engineered hardwood. We definitely want to go back in with a laminate or engineered HW floor. The rug just gets to dirty with our outside hiking, biking and fun filled days.

We have pretty much settled on a flooring. It came down to a solid vinyl floor: Sugar wood maple http://www.metroflorengage.com/commercial/planks.asp
Or a laminate from lumber liquidators: Glacier-Peak-PoplarDream Home - Kensington Manor - 12mm Glacier Peak Poplar Laminate:Lumber Liquidators

The glacier-peak-poplar won out in the end. It really seemed to lighten up the cabinets and came out much lighter (weight wise) than the solid vinyl flooring. Also at $2.39 A SQFT with a rubber backing pre-attached, we couldn't beat the price. So for 168sqft (includes %15 for wastage) we are looking at around $400 to do the whole trailer from front to back.

Still kicking around what we are going to do as far as floor plan. We are 50/50 on whether to get the gaucho redone and re-install it or go with euro style recliners on the other side. This would make the area over the storage bid on the drivers side the entertainment center.

We knew we were going to "live with it" for a while till we figured it out.... So we are going to get some nice lawn chairs to camp with for the near future. I also have a nice desk chair we will bring on some future outings to work on a desk/computer area set up. Luckily we have a rv camp here on base, so as soon as it get warm enough to de-winterize the plumbing we will be doing week-ends there living the floor plan so to speak. I also want to wait till then to install the new floor. I want to make sure the water heater works and doesn't leak first while it is still easy to fix/replace. Also toying with the idea of doing pex to/from it while it is all easy to get to . I am sure it will need to be done someday.

So in the mean time, I am getting ready to prep and prime the particle board floor in most of the RV. I have leak in bedroom; back roadside corner. Need to investigate a little further.

Weather is starting to be a bit more hospitable, so maybe next week-end I will get up on the roof to evaluate and start sealing stuff.

I have new gaskets for the vent pipes that I need to install while I am up there.

Here are some picks o how it looks today and the flooring:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7999 (Medium).JPG
Views:	174
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	179758   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8005 (Medium).JPG
Views:	151
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	179759  

Name:	IMG_8010 (Medium).JPG
Views:	133
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	179760  
Old 02-24-2013, 05:15 PM   #130
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
That thing is soo long you could open a mobile bowling alley.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:31 PM   #131
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Dave,

Those pictures bring back not so fond memories of a 345 I had recently

On a more serious note, if the transfer switch mounted on the side of the generator compartment becomes an issue for you in your remodel you can always relocated it to a more suitable location.

You don't need to use lawn chairs, just go buy a bunch of bean bag chairs and you can remodel easily by just moving them around

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:43 PM   #132
Rivet Master

Wildwood , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV View Post
That thing is soo long you could open a mobile bowling alley.
For gosh sakes, You better not let Felicia hear that or I am sure she will add it to the list!!
Old 02-24-2013, 06:53 PM   #133
Rivet Master

Wildwood , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
Dave,

Those pictures bring back not so fond memories of a 345 I had recently

On a more serious note, if the transfer switch mounted on the side of the generator compartment becomes an issue for you in your remodel you can always relocated it to a more suitable location.

You don't need to use lawn chairs, just go buy a bunch of bean bag chairs and you can remodel easily by just moving them around

Brad
Brad,

I had already eyed moving the transfer switch. Just need to figure out what we are putting in so I will know where I can put it

Since we are still wavering between redoing the gaucho and putting it back in or putting an entertainment center on that side not quite sure yet. We will most likely do a single bench seat with out the back more like a half round settee (flat top bean bag LOL!).

And as mush as I would love to have been bags chairs, I really am trying to forget the 70's and 80's..... But there is something about sitting in a bean bag chair with a beer....... Hmmmmm Maybe we should get some.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:15 PM   #134
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Dave...
Just in case you get bored...

PEX Water Heater Bypass | ModMyRV

Oh... and get with the times will ya...
Its a LoveSac now...
http://www.lovesac.com/sacs/allaboutsacs.html

Also, check out the TrafficMaster Allure flooring... saw on the RV2 forum its good too... available at Home Depot too...
Old 02-25-2013, 04:19 AM   #135
Rivet Master

Wildwood , Florida
Quote:
Dave...
Just in case you get bored...

PEX Water Heater Bypass | ModMyRV

Oh... and get with the times will ya...
Its a LoveSac now...
Learn About Sacs | Lovesac

Also, check out the TrafficMaster Allure flooring... saw on the RV2 forum its good too... available at Home Depot too...
Just in case I get bored.... Not likely for another 2 or three years!

Thanks for the heads up on the bypass, mine already has the bypass in it (see below) I will be replacing it thought if I redo the water heater. Anyone have any experience with the tank-less?

I can't seem to come up with a comment for the chair that wouldn't get me thrown off the forums!

The Traffic Master Allure was a finalist as well. Had great reviews and everything. Only issue was the lightest color was a bamboo and it was more towards the yellow side which made the cabinets look more yellow.... We really thought about it and the solid vinyl product you put down in you house. The samples were great, but the weight just put me off. The vinyl had the best look out of all the samples we had!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7968 (Medium).JPG
Views:	118
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	179812  
Old 02-25-2013, 05:12 AM   #136
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Good stuff Dave!

FYI...
I REALLY like the way the interior of this one is laid out with the front sofa and J couch... Just my needs in mind...
Fred's Airstream Motorhome Class A Archives - 1995 Airstream 36 Diesel (B)
Old 02-25-2013, 12:24 PM   #137
Rivet Master

Wildwood , Florida
Quote:
Good stuff Dave!

FYI...
I REALLY like the way the interior of this one is laid out with the front sofa and J couch... Just my needs in mind...
Fred's Airstream Motorhome Class A Archives - 1995 Airstream 36 Diesel (B)
That is awesome! Thanks!

That is the clean upscale look we are looking for. Cant wait to get to a real computer to check it out.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:13 AM   #138
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
I have spent a few hours looking at Fred's site for ideas.
Take a look at some of the interiors on the 370's he has archived...

Airstream For Sale | Travel Trailers & Motorhomes | Fred's Archives

On the flooring issue, I was in HD yesterday, and picked up Allure samples..
Looks nice, but its like half the thickness of the Metroflor Connect... I assume half the weight too!
Old 02-26-2013, 10:17 AM   #139
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxbuoy View Post
Just in case I get bored.... Not likely for another 2 or three years!

Thanks for the heads up on the bypass, mine already has the bypass in it (see below) I will be replacing it thought if I redo the water heater. Anyone have any experience with the tank-less?
Dave, that water heater bypass is identical to the one in the 345 I dismantled. My guess is it was installed at the factory. Unfortunately I have zero experience with a tank less-heater.

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
Old 02-26-2013, 10:27 AM   #140
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
I have spent a few hours looking at Fred's site for ideas.
Take a look at some of the interiors on the 370's he has archived...

Airstream For Sale | Travel Trailers & Motorhomes | Fred's Archives
Fred's site is definitely a handy resource!

Quote:
On the flooring issue, I was in HD yesterday, and picked up Allure samples..
Looks nice, but its like half the thickness of the Metroflor Connect... I assume half the weight too!
The more I hear about you guys talking about price and weight for your "long" motorhomes the more I like my 20' Argosy