Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2013, 12:57 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Wildwood , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to wxbuoy
Was over for a little bit this morning to check out the MOHO after all the rain yesterday. have a small leak on the drivers side under the drivers window.

Ran the gene and decided to take it for a quick run to keep everything charged and lubed.

I absolutely love driving that beast! What a thrill, mo hooking ip, no un hooking and love driving over the front wheels. When I got back to the storage lit there were two guys working outside the fence on the power lines. They just stood there and stared the entire time till I shut it down and hopped in my car and drove off 😎
Old 01-11-2013, 02:20 PM   #62
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Yeah... get used to that grin...

On the subject of window leaks...

When your seals arrive... I can walk you thru the process if you need.. You have to take the sliding glass out to replace the seal.
The REALLY important part is making holes in the lower section of the glass runner U seal.
I used a propane torch and heated the tip of an old screwdriver, and melted holes. You cannot drill it because its got a wire reinforcement moulded in.
They do NOT have to line up with anything, just measure how long the lower channel is and I did holes every few inches.
Without the holes, the seal just fills up with water, and overflows into the cockpit because of the bodyside curve, the inside edge is lower than the outside edge!

As I am sure Brad will confirm, the window frame is a kinda H section, but the upper part of the H is taller and has a partial lip on the upper section... The fuzzy schlegal channel sits on that and there is still a gap of maybe 1/4" to 3/8" below it. If you look at the outside of the window frame, you can see the drain holes... my covers are long gone..
Here is a pic of the inside with the sliding glass removed and you can just about see the upper part shoulder where the seal sits...

In the outside pic, you can see the drain holes... The glass channel seal sits above the drain hole...
Keyair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:59 PM   #63
Rivet Master

Wildwood , Florida
Windows

Key,

Thanks for the info! I bet the PO didn't put holes in the H channel! I am in St Louis currently but when I get back on Sunday that is the first thing I am going to check out!

I appreciate the offer of walking me through the process! It will be a few weeks before I have the time to do it, But I will let you know. I have read some other threads on it and got a copy of the instructions that Inland RV includes with the gaskets. I still need to call them to order the stuff..... I was supposed to do that this morning before I left but got carried away and went tooling around in the beast!
Old 01-13-2013, 08:39 AM   #64
Rivet Master

Wildwood , Florida
Anyone know how the pannels running down the center of the coach with the lights is attached? I want to pull one down but am wary about breaking what ever they are installed with that is no longer available and no solution exist to reattach with out....
Old 01-13-2013, 09:33 AM   #65
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxbuoy View Post
Anyone know how the pannels running down the center of the coach with the lights is attached? I want to pull one down but am wary about breaking what ever they are installed with that is no longer available and no solution exist to reattach with out....
Dave, I assume you're talking about the center ceiling panel that runs the length of the coach inside. If so on the 345 it was one full length sheet. Personally I found it a bear to deal with when I was dismantling the 345. From what I could see when I had it out laying on the ground, Airstream precuts all of the holes, etc. and then they must have a team of people walk the panel inside and pop it up into position. It fits into tracks on each side. The tracks are basically a strip of aluminum that has the edge folded over and the top panel slips into the groove where it is folded over.

Removing it by myself I couldn't keep from creasing the panel. Years ago I remember conversations with Overlander63 (Terry) where he described pulling the panel down for access so I know it can be done. At least I think it was Terry

Bottom line is unless you really need access to that area I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole

I'm sure others have had success, but I didn't when I was working alone.

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:11 PM   #66
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
If I remember correctly, the folks who have successfully removed it used a bunch of friends and those hand pump up suction cups. They attached the cups down the centerline then everyone pulled down.

Yuck...
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:45 PM   #67
Rivet Master

Wildwood , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV View Post
If I remember correctly, the folks who have successfully removed it used a bunch of friends and those hand pump up suction cups. They attached the cups down the centerline then everyone pulled down.

Yuck...
ok kay than, it looks like I will look at other problems first...! I am fairly good ignoring things I don't want to do, after all I have been married for 24 yrs!

Well, I need to redo my priority work list so I get what I need from sotrage next week. Wish I could find some indoor storage to work on this thing. It would be nice to be dry and warm!!
Old 01-13-2013, 07:11 PM   #68
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
ok kay than, it looks like I will look at other problems first...! I am fairly good ignoring things I don't want to do, after all I have been married for 24 yrs!

Well, I need to redo my priority work list so I get what I need from sotrage next week. Wish I could find some indoor storage to work on this thing. It would be nice to be dry and warm!!
Indoor storage? Boy do I wish...
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
Old 01-14-2013, 06:47 PM   #69
Rivet Master

Wildwood , Florida
Weather here in Memphis is killing me! Between travel, rain, freezing rain, and snow it is impossible to get anything done or even looked at to see what needs to be done.

Was able to take down all the curtains 2 weeks ago. Sent one in to get dry cleaned to see if it was worth it to do the others. Pretty pricey. Must say I learned two things when they test curtain came back: 1. The curtains are white not beige. They look just like the kind we wanted to get! 2. $12 per is allot cheaper than getting new ones!

Now to take the rest over, and pay 1/2 a tanks worth of fuel to have them done.

Also took the 1991 airstream motor home owners manual into work and used the high speed scanner to scan it. Now all I need to do is find a place ONLINE to stick the 11 PDFs (one for each chapter and I am sure there will be many suggestions of where to stick them ) so I can put a link to them here and in the Classic sticky. May just start a blog to be able to stick all this stuff easily that I can't put here. I also have the Cummins service, parts and shop manual for the 6BTA in PDF as well. I am waiting for some poor schmuck to stick one more piece of paper in that scanner at work adn watch it implode!
Old 01-14-2013, 08:11 PM   #70
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Warning, Will Robinson!

Those books are the property of Airstream to my knowledge and are under a valid ©opyright, and as such, we cannot host them here.

Not only that, but we cannot allow anyone to link to a location where pirated manuals are hosted.

In fact, I believe that if you check, you will see that Airstream still sells the 1991 Motorhome Owners manual.

Now, I'm not a lawyer, but I think if you look up the "Fair Use" part of the copyright statutes, you might see that a piece now and then is OK. But certainly not the whole book.
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:02 AM   #71
Rivet Master

Wildwood , Florida
Warning taken!

Than in my personal use archives they will stay!

Thanks for the heads up! Very strange that they would enforce a copy right while they have all the manuals from 2001 and newer motor homes on their website free for down load.

Might send them a letter to see about getting permission.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:22 PM   #72
Rivet Master

Wildwood , Florida
Demo: Day 1; Ouch that hurts...

Soooo.... Finally the weather was dry and warm enough to start the demo on the MoHo. I took some starting pics, than planned on getting everything in the main salon ripped out; Yeah right! I thought it would be an easy thing to unbolt the barrel chairs from the deck, rip up the carpet and start on the gaucho.

I took out the center tv stand first. A pain in the @zz since i had to use a regular screw driver since the power one would strip the screws.

The after realizing that I couldn't remove the chairs from the posts and had to unbolt them from the deck I went to work. There was no way I could get an angle on the nuts with out raising the front levelers. So, being smart I ran down to Northern Tool and picked up some Jack stands. I was able to score a pair of 12 ton stands for $79! Awesome. No fear of laying there and having the MoHo crush me!

Of course the stand ratchet was a little tight from being brand new, sooo while working to loosen it up, the center steel brace falls and crushes my finger. Ouch! Well the only real damage was my pride and a nasty bruise.

I lefted the front and put the stands in place and realized there is no way I was going to be able to do this myself. Airstream must have used a contortionist to hold the nuts underneath while someone above turned the bolt. So the wife came over and helped while I crawled underneath (lots more room with the stands ). How the heck they got the one on top of the propane tank I am still trying to figure out!

We finally got all the bolts out and removed the barrel chair! One down and one to go tomorrow. The bright side is I got an good excuse to go to Northern Tool The bad news it only cost me a bruised finger and my ego! I attached a couple photos.

Oh by the way, when pulling up nasty dirty 20 year old carpet, a tyvek suit is recommended! Since I didn't have one I settled for the shower with laundry detergent and a tire brush!

By the way, for laughs I set up my webcam to shoot a picture every 24 seconds figuring over the course of the afternoon to watch the progress. Not alot of progress to watch, but still funny!

edit: Darn video won't upload. Any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7913.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	505.0 KB
ID:	177499   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7896.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	287.0 KB
ID:	177500  

Name:	IMG_7916.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	280.4 KB
ID:	177501  
Old 01-26-2013, 05:29 PM   #73
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Ah heck, I thought you were going to post a picture of your finger Remember it didn't happen unless you have pictures to prove it

Yep, getting the chairs out is a real pain. I ended up using vise grips on top and worked from underneath with wrenches and sockets. You'll run into the same problems if/when you decide to remove the driver and passenger seats.

Brad
Old 01-26-2013, 05:34 PM   #74
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Geez. Dave buys a perfectly good RV and all he does is start to take it apart...
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:38 PM   #75
Rivet Master

Wildwood , Florida
LOL! Yeah Bad I tried the passenger seat first! Than decided to start small and work my way up.

How's this? I know it doesn't look to bad, but the thing is twice normal size and 3 hours later I still don't have feeling in it. I am currently taking a few glasses of cab for it! Okay, maybe the loss of feeling is not entirely from the jack stand! And I am a wuss!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7918.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	190.3 KB
ID:	177508  
Old 01-26-2013, 05:40 PM   #76
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
edit: Darn video won't upload. Any suggestions?
Save it to Youtube.com and put a link to it in a post.

Not tough to do!
Old 01-26-2013, 05:40 PM   #77
Rivet Master

Wildwood , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV View Post
Geez. Dave buys a perfectly good RV and all he does is start to take it apart...
That thought has plagued me since I got it and haunted me all afternoon! What the heck am I doing!!! Who's stupid idea was this?!
Old 01-26-2013, 05:49 PM   #78
Rivet Master

Wildwood , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Save it to Youtube.com and put a link to it in a post.

Not tough to do!
I was trying to avoid YouTube.... But oh well:

Old 01-26-2013, 06:01 PM   #79
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
LOL! Yeah Bad I tried the passenger seat first! Than decided to start small and work my way up.

How's this? I know it doesn't look to bad, but the thing is twice normal size and 3 hours later I still don't have feeling in it. I am currently taking a few glasses of cab for it! Okay, maybe the loss of feeling is not entirely from the jack stand! And I am a wuss!
Looks like grease on your finger to me

Consider it a badge of honor. Does that make you feel better?!

Brad
Old 01-26-2013, 06:04 PM   #80
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
I was trying to avoid YouTube.... But oh well:

That is awesome! It was great watching the water glass & coke bottle move around on their own! Great idea, I'm going to have to do something like this.

Thanks for sharing!!

Brad