Old 01-20-2016, 07:12 PM   #449
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
Very impressive!

I wonder how well the process would work on the plastic headliners.
There is a good thread on restoring the ABS caps (and other plastic parts) on the interior restoration forum.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f39/...ly-124989.html

Old 01-21-2016, 03:05 AM   #450
Rivet Master

1991 35' Airstream 350
Carriere , Mississippi
Send a message via Skype™ to wxbuoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
Very impressive!

I wonder how well the process would work on the plastic headliners.
From what I can tell very well. All though Krylon Fussion spray paint would most likely be just as good, but better to apply since it is being sprayed. I think this is great for high water area like shower, but does not yield perfect results to be in your face all the time.... Also spraying them would be way cheaper! My rear end cap was sprayed and it looks great. I would say there is no need for the waterproof nature of the epoxy on the end caps, but you never know with air streams!

Old 01-21-2016, 09:46 AM   #451
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Dave, next time you are up teetering on a ladder(pre wine) get some measurements of your vet stacks. Send them to me and i will cut you some pretty little caps from the strip i rolled. They look bigger than mine...
Can you tell us what epoxy you used for the shower pan?
Old 01-21-2016, 07:45 PM   #452
Rivet Master

1991 35' Airstream 350
Carriere , Mississippi
Thanks Steve! Will do.... Although I will have to get up really early if it is going to be pre-wine Week-ends = mimosa's.

I used the aquafinish kit. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o00_s00

A bit pricey, but it had everything I needed, and was far too much for what I actually painted. I could have easily done the pan and the back wall... But live and learn. It was also the only kit that stated it had a long pot time. They suggest waiting 2 hours to recoat, or if you can put the mixed can in the freezer the suggest waiting till the next day. I actually still have it in the freezer and am going to take it out this week-end and see if it is still good....

I will probably get the rustoleum or Sherwood Williams tub and tile paint for the back wall. MUch cheaper and It is not so critical that the epoxy can take standing water.
Old 01-23-2016, 08:44 AM   #453
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Thanks Dave.
I told my GF about the wine cooler... She immediately asked where we could put one. I said I would figure it out... Then she said, she had an idea... She would just drink Red until then!
Old 02-01-2016, 06:06 PM   #454
Rivet Master

1991 35' Airstream 350
Carriere , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyair View Post
Thanks Dave.
I told my GF about the wine cooler... She immediately asked where we could put one. I said I would figure it out... Then she said, she had an idea... She would just drink Red until then!
That a girl! But those mobile solar ovens get a bit warm for even reds!
Old 02-01-2016, 06:29 PM   #455
Rivet Master

1991 35' Airstream 350
Carriere , Mississippi
Finally figured out what the yellow band in post#447 was.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0351 (Medium).JPG
Views:	63
Size:	212.9 KB
ID:	256649

It is called a Push-Lok. It is designed to be used with push-lok hose.... not just standard fuel hose. The have both pneumatic and fuel types. Supposed to be a quick way to make up hoses with out clamps or crimps. Doesn't always work and you never know when it will start leaking from what I have read. So added a small 40 cent fuel line clamp that stopped the leak. Will eventually replace the fitting and hose when I do the turbo, starter and wiring covers.

Name:	IMG_0368 (Medium).JPG
Views:	56
Size:	176.5 KB
ID:	256650
Old 02-01-2016, 06:52 PM   #456
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Dave, those quick connect fittings are great for the assembly line but not so great for longevity

My guess is your quick fix will last a long time!
bkahler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 10:59 AM   #457
Rivet Master

1991 35' Airstream 350
Carriere , Mississippi
Brad,

Yeah I am kinda thinking along the same lines.... It lasted 2 years.... The clamp should last till it is time to do all the fuel lines again at the 10 year mark.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 02-07-2016, 06:20 PM   #458
Rivet Master

1991 35' Airstream 350
Carriere , Mississippi
Clean out the reno crap

Well it was finally time this week-end to clean the MoHo of all the parts and tools I have been using during the past few years for renovation work All the overhead bins were filled with small plastic containers of parts, screws and everything else I disassembled. Luckily they were all labeled...

We figured since we are past the 50% point in the project it is now time for it to be a camping vehicle first and bring parts, projects and tools into it to work vice it being a mobile renovation...

So out everything went, all the cabinets were emptied, etc... There are a whole lotta parts I'm not putting back! I did manage to put together a plastic bin under the passenger side bed to hold emergency repair stuff; fuses, filters, spark plugs (generator), engine belt, pex repair parts, etc.

On a positive note, I did get the cordless Dyson mounted in the closet and hooked up to power.... So I did make progress this weekend.
Old 02-13-2016, 07:00 AM   #459
Rivet Master

1991 35' Airstream 350
Carriere , Mississippi
A successful failure....

As NASA says we had a successful failure yesterday. Drove 1.5 hrs to the beaches at Biloxi MS to go camping with the local WBCCI unit (AKA Mom and the drinking buddies ). Got everything hooked up and we noticed water leaking, not pouring jut leaking out of the bottom of the MoHo just aft of the door. Since I had been running the water I figured the cheap drain pipe assembly under the kitchen sink finally gave out.... Nope. So we shut off the water and I inspected the pipes under the sink. All dry and good. So I pulled the drawers out by the sink and under the stove and looked behind and the floor was wet coming from the shower area....

So I have a leak somewhere behind the wardrobe or at the shower hook up. I am 50/50 on a freeze crack or a fitting is bad. We did have the temps dip down in the upper 20's a couple of nights the past 2 months. However, I was real careful and blew all the lines out and the moho was on a steep incline draining down towards the drain valves.... It is all pex so I have my doubts about freezing. The other scenario... the shower connections were the only two connections I didn't make. An RV shop did those when it was in for some other work.

Now the success part... Since I did all the plumbing (except the shower control hook up ) I put in isolation valves so I could split off the shower/kitchen and the bathroom/water heater. Figuring worse case scenario I would always have a sink and toilet... Here's a picture from during the rehab.

Name:	IMG_9819 (Medium).JPG
Views:	71
Size:	222.6 KB
ID:	257222

Soooo... I just secured the water to the passengers side of the MoHo and we were back up and running sans shower/kitchen sink. Today I will pull the backing panel off the shower and the closet floor to see what the source of the leak is. It will also be a good test of my emergency repair kit since I took all the tools and spare construction stuff out of the MoHo last week-end...

The other thing you will note in the pic above is a I ran (fished/wrangled) an additional line forward on the passenger side while everything was apart and it could be done (with minimum profanity). I figured the couple of bucks for the additional pex line ($7) and an hour of my time would be well worth it if I had a failure behind everything that I couldn't get to or I wanted to put a hot water return line in so I don't waste water waiting for the sink/shower to get hot while boon docking. It is also great way to stow an extra 30 ft of uncut PEX. All I have to do is make the connections at each end and I am back up and running, or so the plan goes. Reality is often far worse!
Old 02-13-2016, 08:36 AM   #460
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Dave, great idea on the isolation valves. Its on my list to install two on the hot n cold to the shower side of the 310.
Old 02-13-2016, 11:30 AM   #461
Rivet Master

1991 35' Airstream 350
Carriere , Mississippi
Never would have guessed that...

So I went about taking everything out of the closet, removed the access panel and floor. No obvious signs of cracks, leaks or anything amiss....

So I decided to take all the drawers out of the cabinets and from under the stove so I could see everything and then be able to watch when I did a pressure test to see where the leak was coming from. When I removed the drawer from under the stove....

Name:	IMG_0376 (Medium).JPG
Views:	102
Size:	158.7 KB
ID:	257234

I guess airstream was too lazy 25 years ago to notch out the rear closet pass through a few inches higher but rather torqued the pipe up and attached it to the bulkhead. After 25 years of vibration, cold, etc, it finally gave way. This is not something that I am going to fix today... I could, but with the limited supplies and tools it would take all afternoon. And Mom and the drinking buddies taught me how to make the perfect old fashion yesterday and I don't wan't to put of the class on making classic and vodka martini's today!

So I turned off the isolation valves at the sink, re-energized the lines and now the shower is back online. The extra couple of bucks I spent on valves to be able to isolate everything are paying off huge!
Old 02-13-2016, 01:46 PM   #462
Rivet Master

1991 35' Airstream 350
Carriere , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayco View Post
Dave, great idea on the isolation valves. Its on my list to install two on the hot n cold to the shower side of the 310.
Well worth it! It payed huge dividends this week-end!