Old 06-15-2015, 05:26 PM   #351
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
boulder , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxbuoy View Post
I don't know about a plan coming together, but it sure felt good taking it on a 1000 mile week long camping trip with minimal issues!

As a pilot and mechanic, I'm pretty focused on the mechanical. So far we've had 20,000 trouble free miles and have had the Aluminum Falcon places most wouldn't pull a pop up with their 4x4.

Old 06-15-2015, 07:04 PM   #352
Rivet Master

1991 35' Airstream 350
Carriere , Mississippi
Send a message via Skype™ to wxbuoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kota View Post
As a pilot and mechanic, I'm pretty focused on the mechanical. So far we've had 20,000 trouble free miles and have had the Aluminum Falcon places most wouldn't pull a pop up with their 4x4.
Next MoHo Rally you have to do a mechanics corner! It has been a struggle the last 2 years getting everything to where I want it. All I really have left mechanical wise is a new tag axle and looking to beef up the tow hitch assembly so I can pull a toad.

Old 06-15-2015, 07:11 PM   #353
2 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Hebron , Illinois
What's wrong with your Tag axle?
Old 06-15-2015, 08:12 PM   #354
Rivet Master

1991 35' Airstream 350
Carriere , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans 34.5 View Post
What's wrong with your Tag axle?
The tag axles are the same style that are used on the trailers. They only last for 20-25 years before the rubber no longer functions as designed. This will translate into a significantly rougher ride and the tag not supporting the weight the way it was designed.
Old 06-16-2015, 06:33 AM   #355
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
boulder , Colorado
Quote:
Next MoHo Rally you have to do a mechanics corner! It has been a struggle the last 2 years getting everything to where I want it. All I really have left mechanical wise is a new tag axle and looking to beef up the tow hitch assembly so I can pull a toad.

I won't pretend to be a diesel expert. This is a learning experience for me which I share here. The skills I've acquired over the years, starting with growing up in my dad's machine and welding shop, have come in handy. And vice versa. Just helped my brother put this Cummins 4BT in a 83 Bronco I gave him.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1434454411.019863.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	240766
Old 06-16-2015, 04:31 PM   #356
Rivet Master

1991 35' Airstream 350
Carriere , Mississippi
It is a HUGE learning experience for me as well! Glade I didn't buy your model cause I never would have though to look under the bed for the engine

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 06-17-2015, 08:51 AM   #357
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
boulder , Colorado
Quote:
It is a HUGE learning experience for me as well! Glade I didn't buy your model cause I never would have though to look under the bed for the engine

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Definitely pros and cons to both engine locations. The advantage of the front engine is clean ram air vs dust and dirt sucked into the rear engine compartment by a big fan that runs constantly. The rear engine is very quiet up front. The engine compartment on the rear engine pretty much dictates the location of a queen bed. I really like the rear bedroom but the front engine coaches give you the option of other configurations like bunks, twins on the sides, convertible dinette... The side twins give a lot of bedroom storage under and above the beds with a nice usable area between them. The crossways queen has a more intimate bedroom feel. Your not looking over your feet to the front of the vehicle.

The engine compartment in the front is very cramped and hard to work in. The engine room in the rear is big enough to convert it to a boiler and a couple steam turbine.

Heat generated by the rear engine blows directly out the back instead of heating rest of the vehicle.

The short driveshaft of the rear engine generally runs smoother with less problems. Unless some idiot reassembles it out of phase! No drive shaft from the front allows for a more convenient installation of tanks and storage.

Lots of give and take! For me, after a couple thousand miles of driving a front engine Triton V10 around Alaska, the lack of engine noise is the biggest draw. They also tend to be more of a commercial vehicle chassis than the bread truck.
Old 06-17-2015, 07:46 PM   #358
Rivet Master

1991 35' Airstream 350
Carriere , Mississippi
Quote:
Definitely pros and cons to both engine locations.

Lots of give and take! For me, after a couple thousand miles of driving a front engine Triton V10 around Alaska, the lack of engine noise is the biggest draw. They also tend to be more of a commercial vehicle chassis than the bread truck.
Gotta agree with the noise factor! I am at 86 db but hope to improve that once I get the from cockpit redone. Put down mass loaded vinyl and will put down sound carpet mat on top of that as well. I will also be putting a layer on the engine cover as well since the turbine noise is pretty dramatic at full boost.
Old 06-17-2015, 08:04 PM   #359
Rivet Master

1991 35' Airstream 350
Carriere , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy View Post
...I love the B&W pic. Please post more!

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Dean these are for you. I like the B&W shots my self! Here are two of my favorites:

As Sir Mix-a-lot says "Baby got Back!"

Name:	AE (Medium).jpg
Views:	61
Size:	277.5 KB
ID:	240970

And the classic Silver Bullet:

Name:	AE2.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	288.4 KB
ID:	240971
Old 06-18-2015, 01:26 PM   #360
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Redwood City , California
Those are great pics! Thanks!

Quote:
Dean these are for you. I like the B&W shots my self! Here are two of my favorites:

As Sir Mix-a-lot says "Baby got Back!"

And the classic Silver Bullet:
Attachment 240971

"We are free to go where we wish and to be what we are"
Richard Bach, Jonathan Livingston Seagall
dadstoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 03:28 PM   #361
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Dave,

Ir was good to meet you in person and see your coach.

I hope we meet again!

Regards,

JD

'09 27FB Flying Cloud
'91 350 LE MH
jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 07:46 PM   #362
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:

The short driveshaft of the rear engine generally runs smoother with less problems. Unless some idiot reassembles it out of phase!
Funny you should mention this, as Shepherd57 explained to me this past weekend what this meant.

To those that don't know what driveline "in phase" means. All U-joints in the driveline must be in line with each other. If the driveshaft is installed out of phase the driveline will bind slightly promoting wear and tear on the U-joints. To fix this just remove driveshaft and rotate what ever number of spline needed to place all U-joints inline and "in phase".

I hope I explained this correctly. Allways learning and never afraid to ask, no matter how ignorant it makes me appear.

Cheers
Tony

Its a recession when your neighbor loses his job; its a depression when you lose your own. "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 08:55 PM   #363
Rivet Master

1991 35' Airstream 350
Carriere , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post

Funny you should mention this, as Shepherd57 explained to me this past weekend what this meant.

To those that don't know what driveline "in phase" means. All U-joints in the driveline must be in line with each other. If the driveshaft is installed out of phase the driveline will bind slightly promoting wear and tear on the U-joints. To fix this just remove driveshaft and rotate what ever number of spline needed to place all U-joints inline and "in phase".

I hope I explained this correctly. Allways learning and never afraid to ask, no matter how ignorant it makes me appear.

Cheers
Tony
This would be a good one for a picture or drawing. I was worried about this after they took my drive shaft out to to it, but never did figure out what they meant and my mechanic said it was good. Too many other issues at the time to delve deeper into it!
Old 06-18-2015, 09:25 PM   #364
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
boulder , Colorado

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1434680591.697196.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	241052

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1434680637.902048.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	241053

One spline out! This it the one I just rebuilt on the 94.