Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2012, 08:22 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Laurel , Maryland
Wow, that was a great story. Congratulations, I know you made the right decision on this being the one. I wish my 91 could go up hills like yours. Might have something wrong with mine? Thank you for the Christmas gift. Let me know if you ever need help while you sort everything out. Steve
t7389sg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:43 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Wildwood , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to wxbuoy
Steve,

I am sure I will be darkening your doorstep with all kinds of stupid questions! The only time I have spent in it was 20+ hours in the drivers seat over 3 days.

I am sure yours is just fine, I got a bit carried away driving... after 2 days of the worst weather I have ever driven in (snow, sleet, rain, ice pellets, high winds) going very slow and steady so when it finally cleared I just wanted to open it up a bit. Also it is completely empty, only thing in it that didn't come off the factory floor was me! The ideal cruising speed was 63mph (2190 rpms). It just seemed to "flow" at this speed. around 70 (2350 rpms) it had a vibration. Don't know if it was the tire balance or the resonance that is so common in diesels at a particular rpm. We see it on the boats all the time. There is a 50 to 100 rpm range that just doesn't feel right. So you operate above or below it. I won't obviously be going above it! And after a few glasses of cab and a good nights sleep I realize it was childish to even do it the first time. Not to mention it took my mpg down to 10 mpg for that stretch! But it was a new toy and if I was going to break it... better to do it before I got attached and dumped even more money into it...

So should I start a new thread with the work I will be doing, or just continue with this one?
Old 12-29-2012, 09:12 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Laurel , Maryland
I know if I were king of this website I would want a different thread for every project or problem. Dadstoy thread is full of fantastic problem solving ideas but you need to read hundreds of pages to find what you need. It is a good read though, just takes a while. There are a couple of these gigantic threads like that and for me the search function just takes me to the start of the thread. I do know that as you proceed, if you post a lot of pictures, you will be very popular. Everybody here loves pictures. Did you find the hidden safe yet? That was a fun treasure hunt on mine. Only took four months for me. I found a quarter in it. Woohoo. Steve
Old 12-29-2012, 10:19 AM   #24
Rivet Master

Wildwood , Florida
Steve,

Not yet... gave a quick look previous owner (who bought it from the original owners estate in April) said there wasn't one. But there is the right "key" in all the stuff he gave me. There is still a bunch of stuff from the original owner. I doubt he spent much time going through anything. So today, I am washing it outside and underside. Than inside to go through everything with a fine tooth comb to see what is what and where while I put the heaters to the test. Will drop you a PM if I can't/don't find it. I have an idea where to look though. I also need to get some picks of inside so we can start renovating it on paper and come up with a list and order of what to do.

Yeah, I have read dadstoy, Keys and a bunch of other threads before even starting this adventure! What a world of knowledge. I actually started putting stuff into a word document that I knew I would need in the future! I also need to go back to yours about the welding cables and AGM batteries. One of the "stress points" during the trip was in the morning (very cold) it didn't seem to have the CCA needed right off. It only took about a second or two of the no to slow turning before it really cranked over. No issues what so ever when it was warm. I pulled out the cummins manual for the 6BTA and saw I need a minimum of 950 CCA for this model and more in very cold weather. So off to check the batts and see what I actually have. It looked like the typical run of the mill interstate. With all that was going on over the holiday's and being under the weather health wise and literally, I didn't spend sufficient time looking into the fine details. I also figured that since we would be parking it at night and sleeping in a hotel and had a second car it would be no issue to run and get a new one when needed! I am glad it made it all the way back since I didn't want to buy another cheap lead acid batt unless I absolutely had to.

I think to deal with the thread issues I am going to just continue this one as other have. But will also do a separate blog so each subsystem can have it's own page(s) just directly copied over.

I also need to figure out what the best method of polishing will be.... one of the problems with these long threads is that so many things are tried during it, you are kind of left with no definitive direction... Nuvite vs buffing compound vs buffing compounds dissolved in mineral spirits vs ??? I also need to strip some of the clear coat/paint to see the grade of aluminum..... I would like to polish down to the black and red strip. The clear coat, black around the windows and silver paint look like crap.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:04 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Laurel , Maryland
I replaced my tired batteries with Lifeline AGM and they have served me well. They cost more than others but they are beasts and keep me with power for almost a week since I changed almost all of the lights with led's. The dark grey paint around the windows is available. I think if I ever need to restore the outside of mine I would just strip the clear coat, repaint the grey and clear coat again with out polishing. The red and grey lower decal is still available as well. I'm a fan of polished vintage Airstream trailers but I'm not sure of polished Moho. I really haven't seen one to know if I like it or not. Look forward to your posts. Steve
Old 12-29-2012, 11:53 AM   #26
Rivet Master

Wildwood , Florida
I was going to put a lifeline AGM in for the starting battery right away since the other one appears to be struggling. Will check CCA and date today to see if it is underrated or not. I am going to hold off on the coach batts till I am done with the interior and LED replacement. We won't be boon-docking anytime soon so the added $$ for new AGMs isn't necessary now. But will be replacing current ones with them eventually.

Do you have a source of supply for the paint and decals? I like the red and black, but the silver and dark grey paint I am not to sure of. It will also make it easy to go back to original if the shinning doesn't look good.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:09 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Awesome job on keeping us entertained with your maiden voyage!
I read the whole thing to my GF(she didnt have her contacts in... same as when she met me..), and we both giggled all the way thru.
We get it, grins and all!

As has been stated by so many owners, there is something VERY special about Airstreams... and Classic style MH's are even rarer.
And now you know too!
Even in our storage, I get comments and notes left on our girl regularly, and always super positive and complementory.
I was talking to a guy recently at storage who just bought a '88 Bounder... he was so pissed when he saw mine(warts'n'all)... He wished he had known about them! His Bounder is on a P30 chassis and showing plenty of signs of wall delamination... yuk!

Our journey into the wonderful world of Airstream Classic MH ownership started with an introduction and a bunch of newbie questions... and now its a monster thread/blog to document our slow journey toward a restoration. I know its way out of control, but its a good place to post both small and large steps forward as well as ask questions without clogging up the rest of the forum.
I suggest you keep posting here Dave, your first journey is a blast, and its nice to keep your next steps in progression!
I do however agree with Steve about good info being buried within a thread.
In cases where a gem of knowledge is discovered or a specific topic or item is concerned, its good to start a new thread, such as Dadstoy did with the "454" thread in the mechanical section.
A recent example which I think deserves a seperate thread would be the whole replacement mirror issue.

We are also working on continually updating the Sticky thread to enable anyone to find major topics at a glance... and I am happy to post a link to a thread and a post number if anyone finds something worthwhile!

On the subject of polishing...
It is not an exact sience... I have tried a bunch of methods, and each has its merits and place in the process...
The biggest issue you face is doing a part strip and polish... Its gonna be tough!

I suggest you first step, and priority is to make sure the beast is watertight...
Keyair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:13 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Laurel , Maryland
I believe out of doors mart and inland Rv both have the decal. Just for fun I add a picture from the 1991 brochure cover of your motorhome.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-501952499.jpg
Views:	527
Size:	337.9 KB
ID:	175452
Old 12-29-2012, 12:25 PM   #29
Rivet Master

Wildwood , Florida
Key,

As always you are right on the money! Part of the washing today is to put enough water on it to be able to look for any signs of leaks inside. I know I will have to get the vent cover gaskets a looks ASAP! I see some signs of a water leak in the curbside closet where I believe the vent piping through hull is. Will keep you posted. You thread was/is a wealth of knowledge!!

If you enjoyed the trip down, some day I will have to give you the "unedited version" LOL!

Well off to wash her and take a better look at what we have gotten ourselves into!
Old 12-29-2012, 02:27 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Yup, ask me how I know!

You have just driven a long way in snow... you should be able to see any leaks as fresh!

From what I see on our 345, here are the Hotspots... or is it the Wetspots!

1/ Both holding tank vent gaskets... look rearward of toilet and rearward of shower... Also I found a leak in my shower mixer pipes.
2/ Around rear of MH, in bedroom corners... Leaks from roof and rear cap joints, and tail lamp areas. Also check Fuel filler area, and any openings like access door under bed. While you are there, check freshwater tank and pipework...
3/ Along interior whole length of Awning rail, and particulaly around any mounting points(see my recent post on my thread). The Awning rail is flat front to rear, and any water rolling off roof sits in there like a gutter...
4/ Cockpit leaks, from roof joints, windshield gaskets and side window gaskets... look under carpets for floor stains or soft spots.

Good luck!
Old 12-29-2012, 05:35 PM   #31
Rivet Master

Wildwood , Florida
One problem solved; lots more popping up!

Key; Thanks for the list! Checked most of those. No overt signs of leakage, but will be resealing as soon as weather permits anyway.

Well the mystery of the slow start is solved; There was an interstate group 27 deep cycle marine/RV battery with only 600 CCA for the start battery! Cummins recommends minimum of 950 (more if cold). There were also 2 Nappa group 27 deep cycle batts as well with 700 CCA. So my plan to start the beast if the start battery failed was to through the "auxiliary start switch" in the glove compartment that ties all three batts together for a starting. That was a well thought out addition from airstream!

Need to get a new start batt now before the first trip with it.

Figured out horn(s) don't work I was so looking forward to that!

Found Original CB, need to plug it in tomorrow and give it a check.

Found original aft camera housing. Will rehab with modern camera and put back up. New version on back doesn't fit in with style (or lack there of! LOL!)

Inside/outside temp display doesn't work

heaters are acting finicky. Finally got front one working, but the back one nodda. Worked great when I inspected it in Oct and on trip back.

Entrance door is slightly askew. Top hinge seemed loose. Tightened but didn't really fix. also small gap at bottom.

water tank appears to be clean and never used.... Will take closer look tomorrow.

Figured out the keypad lock. Funny story. At our last sto pon the trip home, the wife asked what the key pad did. I told her it locked/unlocked the deadbolt. She off course asked what the number was. So I told her (having read it in the manuals margin) Sooo before I know it she punches it it and yup it locked the dead bolt! Well, cool... But when she put it in again, it didn't open!! So after a few minutes of panic and repeated trying the number, the keys and everything else... It finally clicked open! So with a sheepish smile Felicia just said " I am going to go back to the car now." LOL!

Took down all the curtains so they can be dry cleaned. They are not to bad, so we will see what can be done. Luckily no prior smokers.

I also seem to have a unique floor plan. My manual shows the corner queen, east west queen and twins for the 350. Mine has a middle fore aft queen with walk around on both sides. There are no external access doors in the bedroom.

Still need to look into the belt squeal on the engine. The truck shop that went over it before I picked it up replaced the alternator, and tension pulley. The new belt they claim is the correct one, but stated the splines are mismatched. It is either a 6 or 7 ribbed belt and doesn't quite match right.

When they replaced the tension device with a new one from cummins, the bracket was reversed by cummins so it rubbed the A/C belt. They took the A/C belt off. Not to worried about it but would like to get it figured out.

Here is a pic after her bath today. Did the outside and spent a good amount of time underneath spraying down everything with clean water. got all the road grip and chemicals off the running gear etc!

Now we just have to name her!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	side.jpg
Views:	676
Size:	384.0 KB
ID:	175495  
Old 12-29-2012, 10:22 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Laurel , Maryland
There may be no external doors in the bedroom but you can bail out the rear window if you have to. I've actually practiced that a couple of times. Not as easy as I thought it would be but would be handy if you wake up and there's a fire.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:30 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Laurel , Maryland
I thought I would share this product with you since you have the original manual for your Airstream. I got this to protect the binder since I often carry it to and from the motorhome. http://www.hoggans.com/canvas-produc...ail.asp?id=40A it fits it perfect even with extra pamphlets and the sort. Steve
Old 12-30-2012, 02:27 AM   #34
Rivet Master

Wildwood , Florida
Thanks Steve, will be ordering one myself. I need a spot to start keeping things organized.

I don't have the original manual but a print out of it anyway (actually 2 copies in one big a$$ binder). When I get a chance I an going to put it in the scanner at work if anybody wants/needs a PDF copy of it.

Anyone have an idea of how the wood flooring is installed? nailed, screwed, glued.... We want to rip out the carpet and wanted the same type floor from front to back. All of my tools are at our house in Southern MS since we are working in Memphis and staying in a small rental. So next trip home I am going to bring back just what I need.

Thinking about a floating floor... The carpet get's way to dirty way to fast with our in and out.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:16 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Good info!
I wanna see lots of pics!
Very interested on how that BT6 fits in there, what trans you have and a million other questions!
I suggest you get a photobucket account, as I personally prefer the way the pics appear in posts... larger format without having to click on them... but maybe its just me!

I think the loose door hinge is common and I am sure I have seen posts about it before.

Glad you are looking watertight!
If/when you need to do your sewer vent stacks, I suggest you take a look at the mods I did to mine...
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f455...ons-82910.html
Old 12-30-2012, 11:18 AM   #36
Rivet Master

Wildwood , Florida
Key

Will get picks of engine later today. will also get photo bucket account. I copied the section about the stack gaskets from ur thread months ago just incase! u are a wealth of info !

Let me know what picks u want and from what angle. I have the 6 BTA. b series. turbo charged with after cooler. I was told it is the Allison tranny but need to check myself first.

checked all the lights at O-dark-thiry this morning. spot light is killer! I pointed it forward when I secured it for better aerodynamics!
Old 12-30-2012, 02:54 PM   #37
Rivet Master

Wildwood , Florida
Engine for Key

Key,

Here ya go. A picture of the 6BTA. Needs some cleaning and some paint, but runs like a Banshee! I am going to pull it out the next nice week-end and change all the fluids and filters as a precaution/ starting point. And I crawled under it as well. It has an Allison tranny!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7787.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	388.0 KB
ID:	175553  
Old 12-30-2012, 03:16 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
wxbuoys
Can you measure length of your 'doghouse' cover? Indenting if modifications would have to be made to my engine compartment and doghouse cover if I were able to find a Cummins motor.
Thanks, Derek
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:37 PM   #39
Rivet Master

Wildwood , Florida
Derek,

Sure thing. Need to go back over to check something else out. Will post when I get back.
Old 12-30-2012, 04:56 PM   #40
Rivet Master

Wildwood , Florida
Derek,

The dog house is approximately: 33" fore to aft, 29.5" side to side and 12.5 high.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7786.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	306.0 KB
ID:	175585