Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-08-2015, 06:46 PM   #301
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Wildwood , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to wxbuoy
Well We started on the bathroom this week-end. tried to gut allot of it. Left the toilet in place (1 rusted bolt ) and the vanity. Removed the light box and mirror above the window and the box that used to hide the back of the TV in the bedroom. The box stuck into the bathroom a good 6 inches. Same with the lighting above the sink. Made it feel really cramped. Opened it up a lot.

Here is what if looked like before.

Name:   18.jpg
Views: 453
Size:  26.8 KB

Here is with everything removed from the walls.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9927 (Small).JPG
Views:	198
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	233869

Finished stripping all the wallpaper. Don't know if we will put new up wall paper, paint it or get some veneer to put on the fore and aft walls. We will put a plywood patch over the hole left by the old tv box and put a mirror there.
Old 03-08-2015, 10:43 PM   #302
Rivet Master

1936 20' Clipper
1947 22' Liner
Curtis Wright
1989 37' Airstream 370
marshfield , Massachusetts
How about mirroring that entire wall with a sheet of light weight plastic reflective material. That would really open it up, and give you a mirror image of the adjacent outside wall and window. Just a thought?
streamquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 03:11 AM   #303
Rivet Master

Wildwood , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by streamquest View Post
How about mirroring that entire wall with a sheet of light weight plastic reflective material. That would really open it up, and give you a mirror image of the adjacent outside wall and window. Just a thought?
That is a possibility. However, the view wouldn't be to good when doing your business.
Old 03-15-2015, 06:21 PM   #304
Rivet Master

Wildwood , Florida
I didn't get a lot done but accomplished a lot. I was finally able to take off the one remaining rusted bolt that was holding the toilet in place after a week of spraying it with break-free. Now I can re-pipe everything with PEX and put new floor under the toilet. Carpet in a bathroom is ridiculous!

Used stripper on the walls to remove the contact cement they used to put the wall covering on. The “ceiling” wall paper is somehow attached to a metal baker that is riveted on top of the aluminum… Decided to paint with Gliddon gripper primer and will follow with a few coats of white.

Was planning on keeping the vanity top but DW decided she didn't like it.. So out it came. Kinda sad about that since the cultured marble is translucent so I was planning on putting some color changing LEDs below there to have a giant night light! She said it would have been tacky, yeah and your point is…….

Name:	IMG_9933 (Small).JPG
Views:	218
Size:	158.3 KB
ID:	234251

Name:	GOPR0005 (Small).JPG
Views:	166
Size:	434.7 KB
ID:	234252

Name:	GOPR0006 (Small).JPG
Views:	199
Size:	418.8 KB
ID:	234253
Old 03-16-2015, 07:06 PM   #305
Rivet Master

1936 20' Clipper
1947 22' Liner
Curtis Wright
1989 37' Airstream 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxbuoy View Post
That is a possibility. However, the view wouldn't be to good when doing your business.
Dave,

I'd tell you to just close your eyes, but that would obviously lead to another problem.
Old 04-08-2015, 06:31 PM   #306
Rivet Master

Wildwood , Florida
2 steps forward 3 steps back

Have done allot on the Rv with nothing (well. almost nothing) to show for it!

So with the DW's change orders in the bathroom the work in there has halted..... awaiting a new vanity top and color scheme.

Have the flooring to put down when I get a chance. Ordered recliners vice putting the gaucho back in. After being on order for 2 weeks, received a call to find out the color we finally decided on is no longer carried... Really? It was actually one of their better sellers. Oh well, Picked another color and they are back in production again. Hoping to get them before next rally at the end of the month.

I moved to work on the kitchen sink. Got what I thought was a good faucet at Lowe's. Got home and found out it hd a really weird base with twice the circumference of the original hole.... Took it back rather then re-drilling top.

Got the new one installed and hooked up. Just need to get two blanks to cover the 2 extra holes in the counter.

Re-installed the sink and held in place with clamps while the silicone dried and I was able to tighten the mounting brackets. Took my time and taped off the rim of the counter and the stainless steel sink so I could easily remove any excess silicone. worked like a champ. Will try and get a completed photo when I have time this week-end.

Name:	IMG_9951 (Medium).JPG
Views:	118
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	235877

Name:	IMG_9952 (Medium).JPG
Views:	169
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	235878

Also ordered a new water heater. I removed the engine auxiliary heating lines a while ago and it needed to be replaced anyway. They no longer sell the dual propane/electric with out the engine aux heating system. Spoke to tech rep and he said to just leave the aux heating pipes (for radiator coolant) unattached and everything will work as advertised. It still gives you the option to re-connect the system at a later time.
Old 04-08-2015, 07:04 PM   #307
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Dave,

Since you bought a generic house faucet instead of an RV specific faucet be sure to check and see if it has a center outlet that is used for a sprayer. If it does have the center tap, whether you use it or not you will need to make some sort of arrangement to drain the water out of it in the winter. If you don't it will eventually freeze and split. DAMHIKT

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 07:40 PM   #308
Rivet Master

Wildwood , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
Dave,

Since you bought a generic house faucet instead of an RV specific faucet be sure to check and see if it has a center outlet that is used for a sprayer. If it does have the center tap, whether you use it or not you will need to make some sort of arrangement to drain the water out of it in the winter. If you don't it will eventually freeze and split. DAMHIKT

Brad
Thanks Brad! it does not have a sprayer per se. The novel actually detaches as the sprayer. Plan to run rv antifreeze through it and the compressed air to be sure. Made sure plumbing was accessible, drainable and able to be isolated from rest of Moho.
Old 04-19-2015, 07:36 PM   #309
Rivet Master

Wildwood , Florida
Showed some progress this week-end.

Took her out on the highway to stretch her legs. Ran like a champ!

I ran the piping to the bathroom and capped it off. Once the new sink and faucet are in will hook everything up. Fished PEX to toilet..... Not an easy job with the numerous turns you cant see. We now have PEX through out the coach. Last thing to do on the plumbing side will be the new water heater install next month.

Toilet is is ceramic and has been scrubbed top to bottom with bleach and ready for re-installation. Will hook up the water and install a new gasket and the toilet next weekend. I felt like a real Mississippian today with the toilet sitting out in the front yard drying from the scrub down and me using power tools!

Made all the final connections to the kitchen sink and pressure tested it. Kitchen is done and usable. Will continue to look for blanks to put over the 2 extra holes in the sink were the old hot water demand tap and sprayer were.

Here's a pic showing/proving we now have a working kitchen!! We are excited and it only took a little over 2 years! Celebrated with a cocktail; makers mark whiskey sour with some lychee nuts/juice.

Name:	IMG_9962 (Medium).JPG
Views:	139
Size:	178.3 KB
ID:	236629

Here's what it looked like before:

Name:   5.jpg
Views: 532
Size:  28.2 KB
Old 04-19-2015, 07:56 PM   #310
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
You should be able to get a fair sized gumbo pot on the stove now!!!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 10:13 AM   #311
Rivet Master

1994 36' Classic 36 Diesel
Colorado Springs , Colorado
So happy for you! The sink looks great, as does your new stove area setup. I see you stripped the wall paper. How do you like the 'clean' aluminum look?
Old 04-21-2015, 06:47 PM   #312
Rivet Master

Wildwood , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
You should be able to get a fair sized gumbo pot on the stove now!!!
Yes indeed!
Old 04-21-2015, 06:51 PM   #313
Rivet Master

Wildwood , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vycan View Post
So happy for you! The sink looks great, as does your new stove area setup. I see you stripped the wall paper. How do you like the 'clean' aluminum look?
We really like the new look and feel to the kitchen. That darned big microwave is not in the way if we use the stove. There is a lot more usable room. WE can keep the cutting board on the burners for a extra large prep area when we grill outside.

The wall paper wasn't stripped. The aluminum sheets were put over it and slipped up under the cabinets and just below the counter tops. Then rivets put in to keep it all in place and add a look of authenticity.
Old 04-24-2015, 06:38 PM   #314
Rivet Master

Wildwood , Florida
Keep chippping away at the to do list

Working on my punch list to get it campable by Wednesday. We will spend a long week-end in the aluminum tent in Pensacola, Fl at the Navy base.... No shower, but we have a usable kitchen and now a toilet!

Put the day night blind up above the sink. Ordered it from Blinds chalet. Aluminum night and white day. We really like the look in the aluminum kitchen. Picture doesn't do it justice.

Name:	IMG_9964 (Medium).JPG
Views:	144
Size:	184.8 KB
ID:	236987

Name:	IMG_9963 (Medium).JPG
Views:	129
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	236986

Ran new lines up to the bathroom vanity and capped them off until I get the vanity top and sink installed. They are at a weird angle since I left the bottom long to cut later. Bottom of the T will run forward to the hot water heater. The cut off valve you see is for the toilet. Was able to take a piece of PEX right off the coil and fish it back through and out the bottom of the base for the toilet. Put a 90 on it and a 4" peice of pex and worked it back under and up through the wood. Now there is only one hidden connecting (the 90 unde the toilet base). I hated all the hidden joints in the old set up. There was a joint behind the vanity, a "T" for the run to the toilet and 2 (90's that you couldn't see with out ripping it all out. Now there is only on and the shut off is under the sink. I will put the base collar and foot pedal back on after I get the pedestal flooring done. Pressure tested all the connections and they tested sat. The only issue was some idiot forgot to put the sprayer nozzle on before turning the water on to the toilet. I can attest to the fact that the sprayer gets adequate pressure.

Name:	IMG_9965 (Medium).JPG
Views:	197
Size:	152.7 KB
ID:	236988

Name:	IMG_9966 (Medium).JPG
Views:	136
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	236989

Speaking of hidden joints (no not that kind you folks in Colorado!) I took the floor out of the closet forward of the bathroom to make replacing the pipes to the water heater easier and look what I found. Another joint that looks like it has been leaking. The water heater is totally disconnected and after the install everything in the MoHo will be pex.... Much better!

Name:	IMG_9948 (Medium).JPG
Views:	157
Size:	218.4 KB
ID:	236990

Oh had a slight leak under the kitchen sink from the the valve connected to a 1/2" threaded pipe. Just cut it at the pex and put on a 1/2" to 3/8' shark bite sink shut off valve. No issues. Brass pex fittings are great but any pipe thread transitions should be avoided since the seem to be the week link. So get your fittings with the shark bite attachment instead of putting a threaded connection on!
Old 04-29-2015, 02:48 PM   #315
Rivet Master

Wildwood , Florida
Had a great drive to Pensacola, florida for a long weekend in aluminum tent.... Well upgraded tent with working kitchen and toilet.

Easy 183 miles. Thing handled like a dream with the new front end and new fuel filters

Stopped on the way at upholstery shop to have them do Passengers side seat to match drivers and book a time to have them do the degraded console covering.

Ran the A/C for about an hour and it started to rain inside. Opened it up and it looks like the shop that installed it buggered Up the drain line connection. Will fix tomorrow. Cool for next two days with light breeze so we don't need it.

Sitting outside listening to the Rat Pack having a glass of port. Life is good!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 04-29-2015, 09:45 PM   #316
Rivet Master

1936 20' Clipper
1947 22' Liner
Curtis Wright
1989 37' Airstream 370
Rain inside...

If the drain hose checks out, look for a crack in the plastic tray that sits between the roof and the AC unit itself. Even when it was new, that tray could never have been described as "robust".
Old 05-01-2015, 04:21 PM   #317
Rivet Master

Wildwood , Florida
Thanks! Will

So took apart the inside of the A/C cowling. The hose was pushed on about 60%of the way and had a hose clamp and tempro on it. HOWEVER, the nipple fitting it was attached too was 3/4 of a turn loose and my guess is that is where the water was coming from. The tray had no cracks that I could see. Tightened the nipple, put hose all the way on. Wrapped it with some emergency tape and put hose clamp on . Didn't have any tempro or silicone. A/C has been going all afternoon with the water coming out the hose on the bottom of the rig. I will keep my fingers crossed that that was all there was too it.
Old 05-02-2015, 03:51 AM   #318
Rivet Master

Wildwood , Florida
Pics

My previous post should have read "Thanks! Well here is what I found..."

So here are a few pics of the leak and the temporary (could be permanent) fix,

Looking in through the filter cover at the drain line connection. You can see a few drops of water.... This was after the other cup of water drained on me.

Name:	photo 2.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	212.7 KB
ID:	237583

After the A/C shroud removal

Name:	IMG_9972.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	186.6 KB
ID:	237585

After the sikaflex removed showing the base of the nipple.

Name:	photo 3.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	211.6 KB
ID:	237587

And with the job completed

Name:	IMG_9976.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	219.2 KB
ID:	237586
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_9974.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	170.2 KB
ID:	237584  
Old 05-17-2015, 04:12 AM   #319
Rivet Master

Wildwood , Florida
Hot Water in the tent

Well replaced the water heater this week-end. It is an easy process if you take your time. The new Atwoods gas/electric models only come with the auxiliary engine heat ex-changer. We will not be hooking this up since it is just a lot of extra hose for there to be leaks in.

You can see it had signs of leaks on the cardboard covering.

Name:	IMG_0027 (Medium).JPG
Views:	130
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	238563

There must have been a slow drip leak that destroyed the top half of the particle board in one spot and softened it where the wood brace for it was.

Name:	IMG_0030 (Medium).JPG
Views:	158
Size:	184.7 KB
ID:	238564

I also found a bunch of these.... It looks factory original since a repair would have replaced the whole run in order to get back there with out taking out the water heater to use a crimp on. So from the bathroom sink to the water heater their were 3 places where they put connections instead of using a longer piece of pipe.

Name:	IMG_0040 (Medium).JPG
Views:	132
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	238566

Since it wasn't full thickness and a small area I used West system penetrating epoxy to strengthen everything and their filler to level the low areas.

Name:	IMG_0035 (Medium).JPG
Views:	169
Size:	247.2 KB
ID:	238565

The water heater was a 1/4" to big to fit through the opening as packaged.... so I cut the plastic band holding the 2 piece styrofoam insulation on it and it went in easily.

Name:	IMG_0043 (Medium).JPG
Views:	155
Size:	187.0 KB
ID:	238567

Here it is all wired and piped in. I red-necked the electric temporarily. I put a small piece of extension cord on it and wired it in to the water heater power supply. This way I could plug it into the outlet right above it to test operation over the electric heating element. I will run a dedicated 110v line to it when I have the chance. I may even put it on an A/B switch for the 20 amp additional plug to run the second A/C when at a campground.

Name:	IMG_0044 (Medium).JPG
Views:	131
Size:	151.0 KB
ID:	238568

I put the controls in the bathroom. I had to run an extra wire for the electric control since it was just wired for gas originally.

Name:	IMG_0045 (Medium).JPG
Views:	116
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	238569

I also went to O'riely auto parts and got replacement rocker switches for the ones that came with it. The replacements have leds that illuminate when they are turned on!

Name:	IMG_0047 (Medium).JPG
Views:	184
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	238570
Old 05-24-2015, 04:34 AM   #320
Rivet Master

Wildwood , Florida
Living room has more air stream interior then MoHo

The chairs arrived Friday from Lambright. They are the Lazy relaxer swivel wallhugger style. Laxy Relaxer Swivel Wallhugger Recliner, lambright rv Recliner, RV Furniture, Motorhome furniture, bus furniture, flexsteel rv furniture, lambright comfort chairs, rv seating

We got them from Josh at Coach Supply Direct. Not as good a price as I would have liked, but heard great things about him from others. Since we got two he did take a few$$ off. They were originally supposed to be delivered by 25 April.But with all things RV we always double the expected delivery/completion date. And people laughed when I said the RV would take 5 years to redo! Josh was extremely prompt in returning calls and updating me on status of production.

Back to the price.....Let me clearly state that although I paid more then I would have liked, I am extremely pleased with them quality and comfort wise! The ultra leather "feels like butter". The construction is top notch. It is all tubular steel construction with nylon strapping. Not the typical particle board and cheep wire mess. They are truly a high end recliner designed for an RV. Again I could have gotten cheaper chairs, but would have had buyers remorse ordering them online and seeing what I got.

These will replace the barrel chairs and we will leave the small night stand that was between them out since these came with the laptop drop tables.

Name:	chairs.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	239060