Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-22-2015, 06:25 PM   #281
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Nice work!! Someday you will appreciate your diagram, so will some future owner.
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 06:28 PM   #282
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Wildwood , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to wxbuoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmadmaxman View Post
You have it looking great Dave More info about your shades please. I would like to upgrade our shades, front and back.
Here y go. But hold on to you socks they don't come cheap!

OceanAir CABINshade (RAILshade) for sailboats and Airstream Trailers, from Zarcor, an authorized Oceanair Dealer, reseller.

HOWEVER, they have a metal layer in the shade that allows NO light to penetrate. You can hold it right up to a light and not see nothing.
Old 02-22-2015, 06:31 PM   #283
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
I agree with rmkrum, superb work.
martin300662 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 06:34 PM   #284
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Top notch Dave, looks really amazing.
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 08:09 PM   #285

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Very impressive!
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 02:43 PM   #286
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
That looks great!
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 03:16 PM   #287
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
Very nice job Dave, your finish work looks very shipshape.
Must be nice to step back there and see what a nice sleeping cabin you have created.
Hey next thing you know you will have one of those fancy galleys too,complete with sink, stove, etc.
But really Dave how is the rest of the interior. Have you gone that deep elsewhere?

Cheers Richard
tevake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 06:37 PM   #288
Rivet Master

Wildwood , Florida
Smile Much thanks for your kind comments!

Thanks everyone! We really appreciate all the nice comments!

It does make all the work worth it.....

Richard: "But really Dave how is the rest of the interior. Have you gone that deep elsewhere?"

Oh yeah, everything forward of the refrigerator and sink (or the hole where it used to be ) has been removed. Here is a pic from a while ago before I redid the drives seat and cockpit flooring.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8005 (Medium).JPG
Views:	147
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	232998

We are going with a completely different floor plan (or at least that is the plan, that changes constantly )

I removed all the fixtures in the bathroom tonight. Hopefully I will get a coat of epoxy down on the OSB floor to seal/stabilize it this next night or 2. I have Thursday off so I am hoping to get the piping to the sink done. That will make everything on the passengers side new.

Hoping to put in the floor next week-end and the week-end after that. and putz around with small stuff in between.
Old 02-23-2015, 06:59 PM   #289
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
1991 Classic 350 LE

Really nice work!

Keep posting the pics!

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 02-28-2015, 05:39 AM   #290
Rivet Master

Wildwood , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy View Post
Really nice work!

Keep posting the pics!

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 02-28-2015, 05:49 AM   #291
Rivet Master

Wildwood , Florida
Well, it is official..... We spent our first night in it last night! It is just a big drivable aluminum tent with really nice beds, but it is great!

Local WBCCI unit had a rally 15 mins from where we live. We decided worse case scenario we could get whatever we needed from/at the house. Took the dogs to give them an adventure and see how they would fair with the moho. Only one was camping when we had the trailer. Biggest issue seems to be the take off angle needed to climb moho steps. Beau is so long with little legs that he grounds out when trying to climb in. We have to lift him in.

Here they are this morning. Not to thrilled with their sleeping arrangements!Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1425127712.652298.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	297.7 KB
ID:	233289

Old 02-28-2015, 06:48 AM   #292

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxbuoy View Post
Well, it is official..... We spent our first night in it last night! It is just a big drivable aluminum tent with really nice beds, but it is great!

Local WBCCI unit had a rally 15 mins from where we live. We decided worse case scenario we could get whatever we needed from/at the house. Took the dogs to give them an adventure and see how they would fair with the moho. Only one was camping when we had the trailer. Biggest issue seems to be the take off angle needed to climb moho steps. Beau is so long with little legs that he grounds out when trying to climb in. We have to lift him in.

Here they are this morning. Not to thrilled with their sleeping arrangements!Attachment 233289

Well duh, they saw your beds! 😃
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 06:22 PM   #293
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Its offically a camper again! I gotta get by and see that huge thing some time.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 07:45 PM   #294
Rivet Master

Wildwood , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV View Post
Its offically a camper again! I gotta get by and see that huge thing some time.

Come on by! Although it is not much to look at yet. Planning on doing the floors next week-end.... Then the bathroom.

Old 03-01-2015, 09:19 AM   #295
Rivet Master

1994 36' Classic 36 Diesel
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Love watching your project! Keep up the great work, and very glad you had the opportunity to enjoy the fruits of your labors. Looking forward to running into you sometime.
Old 03-01-2015, 09:33 AM   #296
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
So how did it run / drive, Dave. Is the engine up to full power now?
Tho surly you had to ease it along with navigator and dogs flopping around in the empty cabin. Good on ya for getting it out and getting some fun out of the deal, much more to come!

Cheers Richard
tevake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 01:05 PM   #297
Rivet Master

Wildwood , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vycan View Post
Love watching your project! Keep up the great work, and very glad you had the opportunity to enjoy the fruits of your labors. Looking forward to running into you sometime.
Thanks! Looking forward to seeing you down the road as well.
Old 03-01-2015, 01:44 PM   #298
Rivet Master

Wildwood , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by tevake View Post
So how did it run / drive, Dave. Is the engine up to full power now?
Tho surly you had to ease it along with navigator and dogs flopping around in the empty cabin. Good on ya for getting it out and getting some fun out of the deal, much more to come!

Cheers Richard
Richard,

It ran great. No problem cruising down the highway at 70mph/2400 rpm's. I changed the secondary filter again when I brought it home from my last adventure. Filter had some crap in it, but not as bad as before. But worse then I was expecting for just 300 miles. On Thursday, I drained and chemical flushed the radiator. When I removed the Aux heater from the dinette area I isolated everything aft of the engine. The hoses were starting to deteriorate inside and the coolant with less then a 1000 miles and a year old looked "old" from the contaminants. I was also concerned with the additional 40 feet of hose and getting leaks. The diesel and radiators themselves take 5 gallons of coolant!

As far as the navigator and dogs; they went in a separate chase car. The camp ground is only 15 miles from where we live. We haven't had the navigator chair redone yet. The DW was trying to decide if she wants heated seats..... So why re-upholster it if we have to get a new one....
Old 03-01-2015, 05:12 PM   #299
Engineer Rich

1992 35' Airstream 350
Anchor Point, AK and San Antonio, TX , Alaska and Texas
Congrats!

Dave,
I just finished reading your forum feed from first post to last...congrats for hanging in there! What a journey... I would like to say that you have probably fought your way through just about every possible challenge, but we both know that would not be true...
I seek to learn from your discoveries...I am re-energizing my '92 350LE after 6 years in storage...just put new tires on it, new batteries in it, and will be getting to the rest of the mechanical maintenance list I wrote up for myself shortly...have an appointment set for a RV mechanic to go over it from bottom to top, as well...
Stated some interior work, as well...it has (had) the original carpet and pad in the rear and I started the process to replace it...I have the queen bed version (OEM queen, to boot)...pulled up the rear carpet the weekend before last and discovered a significant patch of rotted floor beneath the passenger side rear window ...believe the leak was my fault as I noted the window above was not quite completely closed (open about an 1/8"), a least I think that was the source... Anyway, the scope of my cosmetic project just got expanded and I have started the process of removing the rear 'furniture' elements...
Now to the point....I see you pulled out the carpet and pad in the rear...it appears Airstream laid the carpet down before any vertical element was installed and so it lies beneath the shower and toilet, as well (at least as far as I can tell)...did you remove the shower to pull the carpet or just cut it as close as possible? I was planning on placing a higher grade of carpet once I fixed the floor, but am having second thoughts...considering a quality, but thin wood floor...just curious what your plan was?
Warm regards,
Rich
engineerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 05:40 PM   #300
Rivet Master

Wildwood , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineerich View Post
Dave,
I just finished reading your forum feed from first post to last...congrats for hanging in there! What a journey... I would like to say that you have probably fought your way through just about every possible challenge, but we both know that would not be true...
I seek to learn from your discoveries...I am re-energizing my '92 350LE after 6 years in storage...just put new tires on it, new batteries in it, and will be getting to the rest of the mechanical maintenance list I wrote up for myself shortly...have an appointment set for a RV mechanic to go over it from bottom to top, as well...
Stated some interior work, as well...it has (had) the original carpet and pad in the rear and I started the process to replace it...I have the queen bed version (OEM queen, to boot)...pulled up the rear carpet the weekend before last and discovered a significant patch of rotted floor beneath the passenger side rear window ...believe the leak was my fault as I noted the window above was not quite completely closed (open about an 1/8"), a least I think that was the source... Anyway, the scope of my cosmetic project just got expanded and I have started the process of removing the rear 'furniture' elements...
Now to the point....I see you pulled out the carpet and pad in the rear...it appears Airstream laid the carpet down before any vertical element was installed and so it lies beneath the shower and toilet, as well (at least as far as I can tell)...did you remove the shower to pull the carpet or just cut it as close as possible? I was planning on placing a higher grade of carpet once I fixed the floor, but am having second thoughts...considering a quality, but thin wood floor...just curious what your plan was?
Warm regards,
Rich
Rich, Thanks. Glad you enjoyed it! Now you have to start one to document your work so we can follow you!!

I tried to put the good, the bad and the stupid in there so others wouldn't make the same mistake I did and could see the process or parts of it before starting.

As far as the carpet goes, it does not, to the best of my knowledge and experience with mine go under the shower nor the bathroom. There are carpet strips (spikes) around all the edges that hold it down. They also used LOTS of staples!! I mean hundreds!! The shower/bedroom bulkhead has a strip of gold colored angle at the base the the carpet is stapled on, over and around it. There are also carpet strips (spikes) to hold it at all the edges.

As far as the bathroom, same thing. However the carpet is under the leading edges of the toilet but stapled to the pedestal is sits on. It does not go under the vanity.

Unless you left the window open for years, I doubt it just happened. Usually it takes years for the water to rot the wood. It will swell up the OSB plywood and make a mess (for some reason it is not made with waterproof glue.... ) The fix is fairly simple. First take a shop vac and tool and remove all the rotted wood you can. Then STOP! Wait till the next heavy rain or stand out there with a hose on it for a long time. Check for water, If none then proceed. Is some, fix the leaks first.

You can then square off the rotted section. Pull the panel and put in a new piece. I used Epoxy and vertical biscuits to make sure I had a solid bond between the new and old piece.

Start a thread and post some pics so we can see. I have hundreds of pics I took at every step. Let me know what area you want to see and what condition and I can post it to your thread or email you.

Good Luck!.... Post some pics so we can see!