We are excited to see it!

blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 05:29 PM   #198
Rivet Master

1991 35' Airstream 350
Carriere , Mississippi
Send a message via Skype™ to wxbuoy
Sound proofing in

Felicia and I Spent the afternoon yesterday field-daying (extreme cleaning) everything. Wiped every surface down, swept and vacuumed, etc. trying to get all the dirt and dust created by the constructions (o.k. destruction ) So everything would be clean to start putting things back in.

Well, got the cockpit mostly done (for now anyway). Took out the saved floor patterns and measured the areas with out wood (behind pedals and steering column).

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2298.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	306.0 KB
ID:	206234

I really hate the iphone and taking pics. They always look right on the screen, but do not orient that way when uploaded!

Cut the MLV (mass loaded vinyl) to fit and spray adhesived down. What a bugger getting all the bends and curves below the steering wheel and pedals. Although I must admit getting the fricken roll of MLV in with out messing my back up (more than it is) or popping a hernia was the hardest part. 4ftx15ftx 1/4" roll that was 4ft long and 8" wide, but weighed....120 lbs!

Name:	IMG_2299.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	289.7 KB
ID:	206235

Finally got everything cut and glued.

Name:	IMG_2301.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	317.9 KB
ID:	206236

Put the re-upholstered drivers chair back in. Well actually it was the passengers chair that has been sitting in the house in plastic for 6 months. Haven't figured out if I am going to do the same with the old drivers side (future passengers side) or get a mac-daddy comfort lounger so who ever is not driving will be able to recoup in style and comfort.

Name:	IMG_2303.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	292.5 KB
ID:	206237

Need to get some more hardware to install the seat belts. Putting in all new grade 8 vice re-using the old rusty crap.

Old 03-16-2014, 02:46 PM   #199
Rivet Master

1991 35' Airstream 350
Carriere , Mississippi
I took it for a 60 mile jaunt last week to stretch it's legs a little before leaving to drop it off. Wife and I drove 30 miles to cracker barrel to have lunch.

Was about to take it to get some exterior work done yesturday ( I don't due roof's due to back issues). When I was getting on the highway, it wouldn't come up to speed. Topped out at 45mph... Here is the thread dealing with that issue:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f159...ml#post1428846

So I have a tow scheduled for tomorrow morning... On the bright side I made it back tot he lot and didn't get stranded a few hours from home.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:56 PM   #200
Rivet Master

1991 35' Airstream 350
Carriere , Mississippi
There ain't nothing like a good tow job

Well, spent yesterday getting it towed and following it to the truck place. The shop it went to does nothing but delivery trucks, buses and motor homes.
Here it is all hooks up:

Name:	IMG_2348 (Medium).JPG
Views:	103
Size:	160.3 KB
ID:	207788

Name:	IMG_2346 (Medium).JPG
Views:	107
Size:	150.2 KB
ID:	207789

When I called Good Sam they said the would send a low boy, so I was a bit surprised when the truck showed up. I initially protested (I didn't have much to say because it actually slowed down to 5 mph by this spot on the road....)

The tow truck driver said he has towed a bunch of Airstream motor homes and lots of motor homes in general and to trust him. Yeah, trust the tow truck driver making $$ from a 3rd party payer.. Man, I was lost. Until he looked at me and said. 20 miles is nothing. I own a 325 and won't let anything happen to it.

Yup, he owed a 325 and not only knew exactly how to do it, but made sure I was in on the whole process. He asked what was wrong with it and I tell him I think it is something in the fuel system. Maybe the filters, but they only have a few hundred miles on them. Possibly the lift pump etc.

So he crawls under the moho and yells " pop on under here " So I did and He start pointing out things I want to tell the shop to look at when it is there and explains that he is inspecting the main rail for damage, welds, and structural integrity. He said it looked great and in better shape than most he has seen. He couldn't believe it was over 20 years old. So then he calls for his co worker and they take out the drive shaft to totally isolate the engine and transmission from the rear wheels.

I told him I was concerned about him lifting it since the back normally only has 16" of clearance to the trailer hitch. Again, he said don't worry and and trust me. He raises just a few inches off the ground and says he is ready to go. I was dumb founded and just stared. He said don't worry, we are going to go slow anyway.

So off we went. We got to the garage with me following and from behind if I didn't know better it looked like it was driving on it's own with really big side mirrors, a square cap and side exhaust stacks. I was digging the exhaust stack look.

Of course when we pulled into the truck shop lot everyone came out and gathered around. They have every size truck (except the 18 wheeler s which were at the shops other garage next door) and top end motor homes. And folks are starring at this one. So they unhook it, put the drive shaft back in and ask if I would like to jump in and put it in it's temporary spot 20 yards away.

I got in and was worried 1. that it wouldn't start and 2. that if it did it wouldn't go anywhere. All the while thinking that I could really mess something up! So I crank it and it takes about 3 seconds sputters and stops. Then starts right up on the next try. It backs up real nice no issues going slow and when I get out, I commented that it had never started that poorly before.

He looked at me and said " you have a cracked rubber fuel hose"

Okay, I am game, how do you know that. Well he says; you must have done a pre-check on it and when you moved one of the hoses it got a small crack from age. So when you drove it that morning and you picked up speed, it needed more fuel, therefore more vacuum in the line to get fuel to the lift pump and it sucked in more air through the crack so the greater the demand the worse the engine would perform.

"Just now, you had some air in the line when you went to start it. not allot but like you would get with a small crack. They also look like the original fuel lines as well."

It actually makes sense! It takes the new filters out of the equation. It allows the lousy performance as the demand/load increased vice the RPMs. Since it had no issues at first going to 1800 rpms in first then second gear, but started to bog in third. Then that went to bogging in second, etc.

Well, it just went into the bay this afternoon and they will call me at lunch tomorrow to let me know what is wrong and what it needs.

Before I left the shop, I asked the tow truck driver what the tow would have cost if I had paid for it out of my pocket instead of Good Sam. He said " You know I can't tell you that. But I will say you got your money's worth,.... For quite a few years."
Old 03-18-2014, 08:21 PM   #201

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
The whole thing has got to be over the top stressful. Your MH in the hands of others, dragging it wounded all over the place...

Good luck and keep us posted!
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 11:16 PM   #202
Rivet Master

1936 20' Clipper
1947 22' Liner
Curtis Wright
1989 37' Airstream 370
marshfield , Massachusetts
Sounds like you got lucky with a sympathetic tow truck driver, although I've always been under the impression that these mohos have to be moved on flatbeds.
Also….. Just looking at the pics of your soundproofing work on the floor. Any chance you put a screw into something like a fuel line?? Just a crazy thought.

Fingers crossed for you,

Charly
Old 03-19-2014, 05:25 AM   #203
Airstream Driver

1997 30' Excella
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
[QUOTE=wxbuoy;1430033]Well, spent yesterday getting it towed and following it to the truck place.........

I don't mean to add to your worries, but you may want to check your Tag axle mounting plate for cracks after having it towed like that regardless of what the guy said. Those Tag axles are not designed to take that weight and are NLA.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	lefttmount.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	799.5 KB
ID:	207812  
AIR #13
PeterH-Airstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 05:58 AM   #204
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
[QUOTE=PeterH-Airstreamer;1430145]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxbuoy View Post
Well, spent yesterday getting it towed and following it to the truck place.........

I don't mean to add to your worries, but you may want to check your Tag axle mounting plate for cracks after having it towed like that regardless of what the guy said. Those Tag axles are not designed to take that weight and are NLA.
Peter,

Good point about the tag axle. I happen to know where a spare tag axle is sitting...
bkahler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 06:30 AM   #205
Rivet Master

1991 35' Airstream 350
Carriere , Mississippi
Peter,

Thanks for the heads up!

Brad; I may be calling you
Old 03-19-2014, 07:03 AM   #206
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Wow! Id say you were awfully lucky to have a driver who was so empathetic AND an AS owner to boot...... His diagnosis makes sense for sure, whether it ends up being the ultimate problem or not its good to have in the back of our minds. For diesel owners. I had my 310 towed, removed drive shaft also, and no problems. No tag axle either though. Good luck, interested to know what they find. Make sure they timed the drive shaft when reinstalled! Could cause vibration if they didnt.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:06 AM   #207
3 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream 310
Columbia , Tennessee
Sorry for the problem on the road Dave. After you get that Cummings up and running, you will blow our doors off :O

Sounds like you have someone that knows the Cummings and will have it purring like it should.
Many Years ago, 1972 Argosy 24' trailer
Our Toad, 96 Saturn SW2 (261,000 and still going )
cmadmaxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:30 AM   #208
Rivet Master

1991 35' Airstream 350
Carriere , Mississippi
Mayco; I have gone from a wait and see to a wait and worry. Hopefully he was right and it didn't hurt the tag. It is a learning experience for me, that is for sure.

Chris; I don't know about blowing doors off, I would be happy just keeping up!
Old 03-19-2014, 10:03 AM   #209
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Heres hoping that its something real simple!!!!! Bet it is!!
Old 03-19-2014, 01:53 PM   #210
Rivet Master

1991 35' Airstream 350
Carriere , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayco View Post
Heres hoping that its something real simple!!!!! Bet it is!!
I hope so too. I am going to hopefully find time to do a trouble shooting flow chart. I have learned allot in the last 72 hrs and want to write it down for others and my bad memory!