Old 04-02-2012, 12:55 PM   #113
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Redwood City , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy

I bet it is the heavy exposure to all that aluminum. It's starting to affect me too!
Nope, that's not it either, that would be lead exposure that affects the old brain.

"We are free to go where we wish and to be what we are"
Richard Bach, Jonathan Livingston Seagall
dadstoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 03:25 PM   #114
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Are you buying that paint from China again?

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy View Post
Nope, that's not it either, that would be lead exposure that affects the old brain.

Old 04-02-2012, 04:05 PM   #115
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Huh?
Old 04-02-2012, 06:33 PM   #116
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm
Are you buying that paint from China again?

Dave
Yes, that and just about every part I have put on the MH recently!

Old 04-02-2012, 06:39 PM   #117
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Why don't you lads get together and send one of those 345 diesel pushers over to China and ask them to make copies! They are real good at that and can do it in a short time frame.
They even copied the new Ford P/U.
Chinese carmaker blatantly copies Ford F-150

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy View Post
Yes, that and just about every part I have put on the MH recently!
Old 04-07-2012, 04:12 PM   #118
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Ok, here's a new question. Since $ are tight, no camping in foreseeable future, I'm considering removing all of the interior, including the interior skin so I can remove Fiberglas insulation and replace it with something with a higher R-rated value. Has anyone ever stripped interior of their Classic Motorhome? If so, any hints or suggestions?
Thanks, Derek
Old 04-07-2012, 04:40 PM   #119
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazeevw View Post
Ok, here's a new question. Since $ are tight, no camping in foreseeable future, I'm considering removing all of the interior, including the interior skin so I can remove Fiberglas insulation Thanks, Derek
Old saying if it ain't broke don't fix might apply, if dollars are short.
Old 04-07-2012, 04:56 PM   #120
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Removing interior is all me. Home Depot credit card for rest, lol. Plans are to full-time in motorhome in 9 years. Now is good a time as any. Plus, have garage to store all of interior now....
Thanks, Derek
Old 04-07-2012, 07:35 PM   #121
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Sounds like a big job. Are you sure this is something you want to get into?

Old 04-07-2012, 10:10 PM   #122
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
WHY wait 9 years...???Retire soon, do with less, and enjoy life...gas is the big expense in our life, and, yeah, the rig is cosmetically challenged, but so am I...neither of those things bother me...getting old and saying I wish I had does...take a 'next time' trip...ya know, you pass a place and say to yourself, I'm gonna stop there next time...? 2 miles, 2,000 miles...TAKE THE TIME TO ENJOY YOUR AIRSTREAM!!! It will probably be around long after you are able to use it. Well, I might be a little biased, but LIVING in our moho has been the best thing we ever did with our life. Gravity, balance, and forward motion will get you there. m
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 03:44 PM   #123
Full Timers/Diesel power.

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapIrony-2 View Post
WHY wait 9 years...???Retire soon, do with less, and enjoy life...gas is the big expense in our life, and, yeah, the rig is cosmetically challenged, but so am I...neither of those things bother me...getting old and saying I wish I had does...take a 'next time' trip...ya know, you pass a place and say to yourself, I'm gonna stop there next time...? 2 miles, 2,000 miles...TAKE THE TIME TO ENJOY YOUR AIRSTREAM!!! It will probably be around long after you are able to use it. Well, I might be a little biased, but LIVING in our moho has been the best thing we ever did with our life. Gravity, balance, and forward motion will get you there. m
Words of wisdom from one of the best. Our first AS mo/ho was owned by a guy that was planning the big retirement trip; he'd replaced everything, the coach was in pristine shape: he had a heart attack six months before "retirement" and never got a chance to enjoy his dream. True story, let that be a lesson to all of us.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:43 PM   #124
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Wish I could afford to retire. Too young (51) so no forseeable retirement income. WAY upside down on home, owe more than I could sell it for. As for heart attack, with my Dad having bypass 15 years ago, my Dr (his Dr too) keeps up with all of that. Plus, my job does require that I walk on foot 7 1/2 miles a day. There's no guarantee's in life, but I gotta pay for Airstream first, before even beginning to think about early retirement. Just sayin.....

As for interior gut, I'm guilty of reading DarkSpeed's posting where he pulled interior skin and was greeted by fiberglass insulation settled in each pocket, meaning no insulation for the most part. More I look at my 345, I realize maybe dual pane windows might be a better investment, especially with all of the windows are in that rig!
Thanks, Derek
Old 04-08-2012, 10:47 PM   #125
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Derek,
I did not choose to retire, but my wife's neurological injury/illness kinda put me in place; take care of her, or pay someone more than I was making to care for her...the choice was not mine to make. I was 50 at the time. Having said so, I still say that giving up one home for the other has been the blessing in disguise...the enrichment you will experience far outweighs the time you continue to scrabble for...NO, I don't suggest you sell your life...just consider the alternatives to selling your happiness. Money's nice, but not the nut. STUFF IS...well... STUFF...ya can't eat it. it occupies space unnecessarily, and it costs money to keep it...I have more stuff than folks ought to own, and I will be glad to sell it to you...I simply suggest re-evaluation of priorities...I did not have that choice, but you do. Your friend on the forums, m
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:45 PM   #126
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Thanks Michael. I was put in a position 1 1/2 years ago to 're-evaluate' my place in life when I was diagnosed with the 'big C'. That's when I started looking for that Airstream I've always wanted. Took that BIG STEP on the one year anniversary of cancer surgery, by purchasing my Airstream. Figure as long as I'm looking down at the ground, instead of up at it.....baby steps.....
Thanks, Derek