Old 10-13-2015, 07:20 PM   #547
Airstream Driver

1997 30' Excella
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punch View Post
....But anyone who is thinking of using it, be sure to clean the surfaces you are going to be bonding to with acetone very carefully before doing it. All grease, algae, loose paint, old sealant and dust must be removed religiously first.
Good and sound advice. I personally like to use something Chlorax a day or 2 before I try to clean with other solvents. Mold will destroy any bond in no time.

AIR #13
PeterH-Airstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 11:59 AM   #548
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Eternabond

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH-Airstreamer View Post
Good and sound advice. I personally like to use something Chlorax a day or 2 before I try to clean with other solvents. Mold will destroy any bond in no time.
With the fact that I had several coats of tar based gray roofing paint to remove from my roof, having anything left except my sweat on roof was impossible.....Took me 3 gallons of Aircraft Stripper to get it all removed.

Old 07-02-2016, 12:02 PM   #549
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Any ideas what I need

FINALLY! Airstream is PAID FOR! Took me almost 5 years to do it, but it's all mine! Anyhow, now I have a few $$ rattling around in my pockets, and seriously want to ditch the 4bbl carb.

Any ideas which distributor we have? http://www.affordable-fuel-injection...ystem/#_form_7

Great price, and remember Raveson telling me before selling his 345, the HUGE difference in performance and mpg when he went from 4bbl to TBI.

Just need to know which distributor we have. I'll get out to see if I have any upgrades to ignition, doubtful, since at most I have heavy duty wires.

Thanks for any assistance.

Derek
Old 07-02-2016, 01:50 PM   #550
Rivet Master

2005 34' Classic S/O
2006 39' Land Yacht 396 XL
north blenheim , New York
I strongly recommend staying away from the aftermarket fuel injection systems. They were not designed for our rigs and they have a tendency to run way to rich and load up. If you want to spend endless days trying to MAP the system out, you will probably have success after you install a number of potentiometers in the system to adjust coolant temperature, throttle angle etc. only to find out you will probably end up with burnt exhaust valves because it is now to lean. Best bet for overall reliability is a fine tuned quadrajet carb....,just saying, Regards, Bob
Old 07-02-2016, 03:31 PM   #551
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmiller1 View Post
I strongly recommend staying away from the aftermarket fuel injection systems. They were not designed for our rigs and they have a tendency to run way to rich and load up. If you want to spend endless days trying to MAP the system out, you will probably have success after you install a number of potentiometers in the system to adjust coolant temperature, throttle angle etc. only to find out you will probably end up with burnt exhaust valves because it is now to lean. Best bet for overall reliability is a fine tuned quadrajet carb....,just saying, Regards, Bob

Thanks for the opinion Bob. I just remember Raveson going on and on personally to me after spending 2 trips out West. 2nd trip, still towing the Jeep Wrangler, but with TBI, commenting on how much better throttle response was. I may take your advice, or may follow Keyair's thoughts and hit the junkyard in the hunt for a 454 with TBI. We'll see, going to look at a classic Lincoln tomorrow, so maybe those extra $$ will already be gone.....lol
Old 07-02-2016, 05:16 PM   #552
Rivet Master

2005 34' Classic S/O
2006 39' Land Yacht 396 XL
north blenheim , New York
If you could find an OE set-up, use the OE computer and retro-fit your 454 with all of the sensors required for the TBI I would definitely go that way, and as long as you went that way I would even consider using the computer to control a 4L80E transmission, then you would have the perfect combination including overdrive.
Old 07-02-2016, 09:23 PM   #553
Airstream Driver

1997 30' Excella
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
The Holley aftermarket TBI on my 310 has been installed for over 10 years and has performed flawlessly. When I took it over, I found another ECU on Ebay to have as a spare. It is pre loaded with the same data and ready to be swapped out if needed. The engine is fairly new with about 20k miles, it was GM Goodwrench replacement in 2000. It always starts, has adjustments for hot starts, never pings, never diesels and runs real cool.
The only regret I have is that it does not have the self learning (tuning mode) of the newer systems.
The fine tuning of the tables is pretty complicated and I have spent my share of time learning about them and adjusting them.
Of the 3 Airstream Motorhomes I have owned, this one with the TBI is by far the best running and performing 454
Derek, you may want to ask Tevake how the system Raveson installed is performing. He has put many thousands of miles on it since he purchased it.
AIR #13
PeterH-Airstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 06:29 AM   #554
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazeevw View Post
FINALLY! Airstream is PAID FOR! Took me almost 5 years to do it, but it's all mine! Anyhow, now I have a few $$ rattling around in my pockets, and seriously want to ditch the 4bbl carb.

Any ideas which distributor we have? http://www.affordable-fuel-injection...ystem/#_form_7

Great price, and remember Raveson telling me before selling his 345, the HUGE difference in performance and mpg when he went from 4bbl to TBI.

Just need to know which distributor we have. I'll get out to see if I have any upgrades to ignition, doubtful, since at most I have heavy duty wires.

Derek
Derek,

Check out this thread on TBI conversions starting at post 39 by WayneG.

I was going to buy from Affordable Fuel Injection as well but was convinced to just buy the parts myself and hire someone to do the tuning for me. You can read about my conversion to TBI here and here. Now that I'm mostly done with the conversion I'm glad I took the approach I did.

Hope this helps!

Brad
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 06:34 AM   #555
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazeevw View Post

Derek
One other thing. You will need to replace your distributor with one like this. Your current distributor has vacuum advance and the TBI units use a spark controlled distributor that handles the advance electronically.
Old 07-03-2016, 06:39 AM   #556
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmiller1 View Post
If you could find an OE set-up, use the OE computer and retro-fit your 454 with all of the sensors required for the TBI I would definitely go that way, and as long as you went that way I would even consider using the computer to control a 4L80E transmission, then you would have the perfect combination including overdrive.
That's exactly what I did. My PCM is from a 1994 truck as is the memcal which also controls the 4L80e transmission. I didn't use a factory harness, instead I opted to purchase a new harness built to handle the 94 PCM and the 4L80e.

Derek, if you chose to go this route keep in mind the Affordable Injection system doesn't control the 4L80e. That was one of the reasons I opted to piece things together from scratch. I got exactly what I wanted that way

Brad
Old 07-03-2016, 07:10 AM   #557
4 Rivet Member

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
boca raton , Florida
Holly TBI

Derek,
It's been a long time since speaking with you. Hope all is well. Three weeks ago returned from a swing cross country. Hooked up with Richard (the person I sold the AS to) for a few days in Arizona. Buss still looks great and he has maintained it well. The Holly TBI system I installed 3hree years ago is still operating without troubles. Any questions call or PM him as I'm sure he would be more than happy to give you details. In answers to the TBI, the holly kit had all necessary computers, pumps and adaptor ring for the conversion. My quad was a Rochester. Again the performance and fuel consumption will get better after install as the computer learns driving habits. May have lost your #, will try an old cell# from an old BC. If you don't hear from me today my number has not changed.
Happy motoring!
Old 07-03-2016, 09:06 AM   #558
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Hanalei, /Chino Valley , Hawaii / Arizona
I just found this thread after responding to Derek's PM. So I thought to keep the conversation going I'd drag my reply over here.
I do think that Peter is spot on in his reply.

Hi Derek, funny I just had a get together with Richard and Robin. They were on a western cruise in their Prevost and we met up at a couple of parks and caught up.
As to the TBI, it seems to be working flawlessly. The engine turns over a couple of times then springs to life, running smoothly. No pumping the throttle, rough cold start etc. probably the best function is being able to adjust to gains in elevation. The coach does struggle at making the higher steep climbs, but at least it's getting the correct mix of fuel. Can't imagine trying the big passes in Colorado with an old carb choking the engine at elevation. It's a struggle enough as is.

I do wish I had driven the rig before the change so as to have more of a comparison for you. But I have driven enough older carb engined rigs to appreciate the modern feel that comes with the TBI on my the 454.

In the engine compartment there are redundant wires and plugged hoses left over from the conversion that are slowly disappearing as I work over other systems. And see what is not needed.

I get the impression that having an experienced installer do the work might end up with a cleaner result.

i don't think a big mpg gain is likely over a good working cared engine, mainly easy starting, smoother running, better self adjusting to Ele. I seem to get around 8 mpg in normal driving.

Hope that answers your questions Derek, let me know if I missed something your particularly interested in.

Cheers Richard

Ps all of the owner of this coach have been named Richard or its only been owned by a bunch of Dicks.

A pic next to Richard's new ride made the 345 seem almost small.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	429.6 KB
ID:	265834  
Old 08-14-2016, 07:55 PM   #559
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Let the FUN COMMENCE!
Name:   ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1471222554.832125.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  53.0 KB
Old 08-14-2016, 07:56 PM   #560
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Great productive day today! FINALLY got Airstream bumper removed, found I've got to get blow torch to bracket and get it back to where it should be. Then got paint stripper applied to rest of curbside paint. Almost there!
Name:   ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1471222578.367976.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  117.3 KB
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1471222595.819164.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	269110