Quote:
Originally Posted by Vycan View Post
nice, where can you order it?

Airstream Trailer & Motorhome Owners Community - AIR Flags

Old 08-24-2014, 08:22 AM   #521
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Starting an extended vacation today, NUMBER ONE priority is getting LOTS accomplished on the Airstream. Anyone have suggestions on how to get battery tray (storage drawers) removed?

Thanks, Derek
Old 08-24-2014, 11:13 AM   #522
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazeevw View Post
Starting an extended vacation today, NUMBER ONE priority is getting LOTS accomplished on the Airstream. Anyone have suggestions on how to get battery tray (storage drawers) removed?
First step, remove the batteries

Once the batteries are out I would put blocks of wood or something similar under the battery tray so that it doesn't drop more than an inch or so when you remove the bolts. There should be two (possibly more) 1/4" bolts on each side with nyloc nuts. Once you remove the nuts and bolts from the sides of the rails the tray should be able to drop straight down.

There is also all of the associated wiring going out the back of the battery tray and there should be a relay and a shutoff switch fastened to the back as well that you will need to deal with.

Brad
bkahler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 11:14 AM   #523
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Thanks so much Brad!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 08-29-2014, 10:18 PM   #524
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Finally got a spare moment to get of roof of Motorhome today. Got last of the Olympic Rivets set (with a dab of Vulkem on each). Got a bit too hot up there, waited till late this evening to grab Dremel and attack the stems left over. Photos are 1st attempt. When I looked east, and it was black from approaching storm, knew the last place I wanted to be was on a metal roof!

Will finally set the Fantastic Fan tomorrow, get inside to pull jackknife sofa, and poly-urethane the floor. If I can get that set up within 24 hours, will lay Fat-Mat on Sunday. Then onto the hardwood!

Derek
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	007.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	220209   Click image for larger version

Name:	008.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	181.7 KB
ID:	220210  

Click image for larger version

Name:	009.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	181.5 KB
ID:	220211  
Old 08-30-2014, 08:02 AM   #525
Rivet Master

1991 35' Airstream 350
Carriere , Mississippi
Send a message via Skype™ to wxbuoy
Nice work. Are you going to get a rivet shaver or are all your Olympics going to be out of sight? What is a fat-mat. Must have missed that in an earlier post.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:41 PM   #526
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxbuoy View Post
Nice work. Are you going to get a rivet shaver or are all your Olympics going to be out of sight? What is a fat-mat. Must have missed that in an earlier post.
With no more than I have to install, the initial purchase price of rivet shaver just isn't worth it to me. Especially when I'm hoping to retire and move into Airstream in 2 1/2 years. No more tool purchases, especially when it looks as if I'll end up giving them away, lol

As far as FatMat, I did a bit of research online, read through reviews, checked where folks had different stuff installed, texted with Keyair, but foremost, looked at weight (and of course cost), and decided on FatMat. Stuff is still heavy though. Looks as if I've got to remove all of the front carpet and seats 1st though.

FatMat = Sound Deadening
http://www.amazon.com/FatMat-Self-Ad...eywords=FatMat
Old 08-31-2014, 05:06 AM   #527
Rivet Master

1991 35' Airstream 350
Carriere , Mississippi
Send a message via Skype™ to wxbuoy
Quote:

With no more than I have to install, the initial purchase price of rivet shaver just isn't worth it to me. Especially when I'm hoping to retire and move into Airstream in 2 1/2 years. No more tool purchases, especially when it looks as if I'll end up giving them away, lol

As far as FatMat, I did a bit of research online, read through reviews, checked where folks had different stuff installed, texted with Keyair, but foremost, looked at weight (and of course cost), and decided on FatMat. Stuff is still heavy though. Looks as if I've got to remove all of the front carpet and seats 1st though.

FatMat = Sound Deadening
http://www.amazon.com/FatMat-Self-Ad...eywords=FatMat
Thanks, I hear ya on the tools..... That is our issue. We want to full time, but don't know what to do with all the tools we have collected. Haha

Will check out the fat mat. Have one layer of MLV down but still a bit loud. Well more then a bit; 94 db at highway speeds. I am sure bit more will be knocked down when carpet is in.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:27 AM   #528
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Front Cockpit Slider windows

Ok,

So just outside, about to get motorhome moved, went to open drivers and passenger sliding windows, and they are STUCK shut. Looks as if I've got TONS of rust along the lower channel.

So, here comes another project. Will call Inland RV this week, to inquire about new replacement gaskets. Anyone have any suggestions on how to get windows to move until I have the time to replace the 'fuzzy' channel?

As well, I know I've read about this type of replacement, but can't seem to find the thread now. Help???

Thanks, Derek
Old 08-31-2014, 09:42 AM   #529
Airstream Driver

1997 30' Excella
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Ok,

So just outside, about to get motorhome moved, went to open drivers and passenger sliding windows, and they are STUCK shut. Looks as if I've got TONS of rust along the lower channel.

So, here comes another project. Will call Inland RV this week, to inquire about new replacement gaskets. Anyone have any suggestions on how to get windows to move until I have the time to replace the 'fuzzy' channel?

As well, I know I've read about this type of replacement, but can't seem to find the thread now. Help???

Thanks, Derek
Derek, the rust is from the gaskets, since they have metal inside. The channel itself is all aluminum.
This is what I used on 2 Motorhomes with great success and much better moving windows.
AS1268 Flexible Flocked Lining All-Rubber | Hi-Tech Glazing Supplies
Make sure you cut small openings in the bottom lined up with the drains, so the channel can drain properly. Also to make them conform to corners properly, you make a slice on the back of the gasket every 1/4 inch for about 1" to 1 1/2"
Spray some silicon and/or WD40 in the lower channel and try to ease the window open, using only wood to pry with.
AIR #13
PeterH-Airstreamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 11:05 AM   #530
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Honokaa , Hawaii
Here's a thread on the replacement process:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f160...ment-9584.html
Old 08-31-2014, 07:37 PM   #531
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH-Airstreamer View Post
Derek, the rust is from the gaskets, since they have metal inside. The channel itself is all aluminum.
This is what I used on 2 Motorhomes with great success and much better moving windows.
AS1268 Flexible Flocked Lining All-Rubber | Hi-Tech Glazing Supplies
Make sure you cut small openings in the bottom lined up with the drains, so the channel can drain properly. Also to make them conform to corners properly, you make a slice on the back of the gasket every 1/4 inch for about 1" to 1 1/2"
Spray some silicon and/or WD40 in the lower channel and try to ease the window open, using only wood to pry with.
Anyone have any idea where to find vertical 'wiper' rubber replacment. Guessing the fuzzy schlegel isn't for use there

Thanks Derek
Old 08-31-2014, 08:38 PM   #532
Airstream Driver

1997 30' Excella
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Anyone have any idea where to find vertical 'wiper' rubber replacment. Guessing the fuzzy schlegel isn't for use there

Thanks Derek
I know that Andy at Inland can help you with the vertical fuzzy and the exterior weatherstripping.
My experience with the exterior weatherstripping is extreme shrinkage after the first big summer, especially for us southern dwellers. Leave it plenty long as you install it, avoid stretching it, instead try to compress it as much as possible.

AIR #13
PeterH-Airstreamer is online now   Reply With Quote