Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2012, 08:49 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Hydraulic leveling jacks

Does anyone know where the fluid reservoir is for the leveling jacks? I've looked and looked through my owners manual, and am at a total loss.
Thanks, Derek
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:36 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazeevw View Post
Does anyone know where the fluid reservoir is for the leveling jacks? I've looked and looked through my owners manual, and am at a total loss.
Thanks, Derek
Mine is the back half of the pump. The pump unit is a round maybe 5" in dia. and 18" long. The pump is one end and the reservoir is the other end. It is a HWH system.

Cheers, Dan
Smartstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 04:51 AM   #43
Gunter

1966 24' Tradewind
1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Greenville , Ohio
My fluid reservoir is between the front bumper and the radiator. Fluid can be checked by opening the front engine access panel.
Old 01-14-2012, 05:47 AM   #44
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartstream View Post
Mine is the back half of the pump. The pump unit is a round maybe 5" in dia. and 18" long. The pump is one end and the reservoir is the other end. It is a HWH system.

Cheers, Dan
What about location of the pump for the HWH leveler system? I'm at a complete loss about this set-up. I can look under drivers front wheel and see all of the lines coming from the control panel on the floor next to drivers seat inside. Guess I just gotta get under there and follow the lines, huh?
Thanks, Derek
Old 01-14-2012, 09:15 AM   #45
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
Derek, The fluid reservior tank you're looking for is located under the dog house. Remove it & look under the floor & over the transmission. The pump is there too. I use a funnel with a long flexible tube to top it off as needed.
Ricky

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 12:43 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
3 Dog Nite, thanks for the location. Heading outside right now to look for that elusive reservoir tank.
Thanks, Derek
Old 01-14-2012, 01:51 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Univolt Wiring

Ok

So, I'm about to start the Univolt replacement, maybe not, it's kinda chilly outside today here in St Pete, FL. Not cold, but chilly, and since I'll be working on electric, will have to unplug to get to all of the wiring. Posting some pix of my set up. So, if anyone has any thoughts, ideas or suggestions for the job, I'm here!
1st, 2nd and 3rd photo, all looking at Univolt from the front of cabinets, towards outer skin.
4th and 5th photo, power panel on the left, Univolt on the right.
Thanks, Derek
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	230.2 KB
ID:	148887   Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	201.5 KB
ID:	148888  

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	217.8 KB
ID:	148889   Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	239.3 KB
ID:	148890  

Name:	007.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	240.0 KB
ID:	148891  
Old 01-14-2012, 04:03 PM   #48
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazeevw
Ok

So, I'm about to start the Univolt replacement, maybe not, it's kinda chilly outside today here in St Pete, FL. Not cold, but chilly, and since I'll be working on electric, will have to unplug to get to all of the wiring. Posting some pix of my set up. So, if anyone has any thoughts, ideas or suggestions for the job, I'm here!
1st, 2nd and 3rd photo, all looking at Univolt from the front of cabinets, towards outer skin.
4th and 5th photo, power panel on the left, Univolt on the right.
Thanks, Derek
Derek, are you sure that is a/the converter? It really looks like an inverter to me which is a whole different ball game!
Old 01-14-2012, 04:10 PM   #49
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Dean, it 'hums'.....guess it's the Univolt?
Old 01-14-2012, 04:29 PM   #50
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Seriously Derek, yours looks just like a xantrex inverter. Yours has a hard wired 120 line. Converters usually are plugged in and not hard wired. Converters (like the Univolt) convert 120 volts a/c to 12 volts to run your 12 volt lights and charge your batteries. Inverters take 12 volts from your batteries and make 120 volts (the also also charge your batteries when plugged into shore power. These are two different animals and you can not directly change one for the other.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-848894015.png
Views:	194
Size:	371.3 KB
ID:	148904  
Old 01-14-2012, 04:44 PM   #51
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
I can almost assure you that is a xantrex inverter so be careful. If you miss wire it you could be in trouble. An inverter is nice in that you can have 120 volts a/c when boondocking without running your generator. You can drain your batteries quickly though. I'm also going to bet that the inverter is not bad, but your batteries need replacing.

Funny thing is, I also have a Xantrex inverter with a remote control panel sitting in the garage. My dad had it. I think he was going to install it in the Motorhome at one time. I would have, but there really is no room in the 280 for it.
Old 01-14-2012, 05:26 PM   #52
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
I agree with Dean... that looks like a Inverter/Charger.
here is how my undercounter area looks for ref Derek, with its Fourtron Charger...

Old 01-14-2012, 06:23 PM   #53
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Looks like a Xantrex Freedom 458 or similar...

Inverter Charger | Freedom 458 Inverter/Charger | Xantrex

Manual here.... annd the pic looks just like yours...
http://www.xantrex.com/documents/Inv...-01_rev-2).pdf
Old 01-14-2012, 08:08 PM   #54
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Before I do any further work, I'll be certain to make sure that this is actually the Inverter. I've actually got the options list from Airstream listing all of the options. I'll check it in a few. Too blessed cold for any work out today, so tomorrow is the day!
Thanks Dean and Steve!
Old 01-14-2012, 08:39 PM   #55
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Derek, dont worry about what Airstream specced your M/H with... like many of them, its been thru a few hands.
I think this was added later, and it could be a good thing!
I looked at the specs of the Xantrex Freedom 458, and it came in a variety of outputs from 1000w thru 3000w.
The was a "D" version too, but that has a circuit breaker on the box front below the two ports, so I think yours is not a D.
The base 1000w unit had a built in 3 stage charger of 50A, the 1500w had a 75A, the 2000w had a 100A, etc.

Get a pic of the model number tomorrow, and post it.
If it is a 458, Read/download the manual as it has a troubleshooting guide.
On the front side where the red and black feed wires go, on the top LH side there is a LED status lights... see what they say?

From there I suggest you get a multimeter on the batteries and see what they are holding for charge with the M/H off the grid. Then plug it in again and see what its reading.
You had that issue with a wrongly done 220V input, so maybe that damaged the unit, or popped a fuse?

This makes things a little more complex, but if you can get this unit working again, you have an awesome charger PLUS an inverter!
Old 01-15-2012, 02:21 PM   #56
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Derak,
Based upon our phone converstaion this morning, I see you have a D inverter, because it DOES have the dual breakers on the front panel.
That means it should be a 15D, or higher.
I read a small addendum on the Xantrex site, and it looks like your unit was a pre-2001 unit... this is based on the fact you have that "Jumper -Port on the upper RH side.
Read here..
http://www.xantrex.com/documents/Inv...-01_Rev-A).pdf
Old 01-20-2012, 05:59 PM   #57
2 Rivet Member

Grass Valley, CA , California
have not had the problem with water tankyet but I am having a problem with the doorbell. Finally found the bloody thing under the couch. Checked it found it ok. Thought it might be the push button on the outside but I dont see any way to get at it.. any suggestions ?? thanks Turtle one
Turtle One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 05:11 PM   #58
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Hi all, turns out Dean (dadstoy) and Steve (Keyair) were both right about the Xantrax converter. Unfortunately, work screwed me over with this weeks paycheck, so really no need to start pulling anything, simply because there are no $'s to pay for any repairs. Ah, the joys of being a postal worker, lol. Then, to make life even more interesting, the engine starter decides to take a dump. Jeez, went up under engine, the starter is gonna be a fun one to replace! With the Banks PowerPack headers, I'm really not seeing any easy way to pull this thing. Anyone have any previous experience pulling engine starter while having the Banks headers?
Turtle, for some reason, I don't have a leak in gray water tank any longer, but I do still have the stuff for repair. When I purchased my Airstream, the doorbell set up, was sitting inside of the tv cabinet, but was told by 'previous investor' that it's location was under sofa. Maybe I should actually try and see how to get under the electric operated sofa next, huh? Guess owning an Airstream is something that is gonna be a fun experience!
Thanks, Derek
Old 01-22-2012, 07:07 PM   #59
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazeevw
Hi all, turns out Dean (dadstoy) and Steve (Keyair) were both right about the Xantrax converter. Unfortunately, work screwed me over with this weeks paycheck, so really no need to start pulling anything, simply because there are no $'s to pay for any repairs. Ah, the joys of being a postal worker, lol. Then, to make life even more interesting, the engine starter decides to take a dump. Jeez, went up under engine, the starter is gonna be a fun one to replace! With the Banks PowerPack headers, I'm really not seeing any easy way to pull this thing. Anyone have any previous experience pulling engine starter while having the Banks headers?
Turtle, for some reason, I don't have a leak in gray water tank any longer, but I do still have the stuff for repair. When I purchased my Airstream, the doorbell set up, was sitting inside of the tv cabinet, but was told by 'previous investor' that it's location was under sofa. Maybe I should actually try and see how to get under the electric operated sofa next, huh? Guess owning an Airstream is something that is gonna be a fun experience!
Thanks, Derek
Derek, just glad we spotted that inverter. Like I said, I have the exact same one sitting in the garage right next to that old piece of crap Univolt maybe I was a PI in England in a previous life (photo interpreter during the war...just watched a documentary).

Are you sure it is the starter...maybe the starter solenoid if you have one. Mine does, they were installed as aftermarket and then as OEM to solve the hot starter problem (starter engaging on its own). my dad had replaced the starter and the solenoid a couple of times

And, by the way...I WANT YOUR ELECTRIC SOFA!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-22-2012, 07:11 PM   #60
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle One
have not had the problem with water tankyet but I am having a problem with the doorbell. Finally found the bloody thing under the couch. Checked it found it ok. Thought it might be the push button on the outside but I dont see any way to get at it.. any suggestions ?? thanks Turtle one
My door bell in behind the couch. It goes "ding" not "ding dong". Can't see anyway to fix it...any ideas out there?