Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-12-2013, 06:40 PM   #381
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
My Quietness

It's FRIGGIN HAWT here in Florida. Too hot to even consider working on the outside or inside of Airstream. And then, when you consider I work outside (City Letter Carrier, and yes, I walk 7 1/2 miles a day delivering door-to-door) the last thing I want to do is spend more time in the heat. Still haven't hooked up 'new' A/C's either, cuz I've decided to seek more $ from my auto accident last year. If the $ comes through, the new profile A/C's are definitely on my shopping list, lol.

But, before I get anything up on that roof, I need to strip that crappy tar-based roofing paint. It's being VERY stubborn. Even with Aircraft stripper applied for an hour, this stuff won't budge. So, layer by layer, I'm getting it down to aluminum skin. Once the paint is gone, I can finally get the Eternabond on the seams up there, and get the white reflective roofing paint (with micro glass beads for R-factor) applied.

Like everything Airstream, it all takes time, just finding it is my biggest problem!

Pix of this mornings and this evenings progress.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	070.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	307.2 KB
ID:	193057   Click image for larger version

Name:	071.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	375.1 KB
ID:	193058  

Name:	072.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	263.8 KB
ID:	193059   Click image for larger version

Name:	073.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	379.8 KB
ID:	193060  

crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 03:36 PM   #382
Athens GA

1995 28' Excella
1989 34' Excella
1986 31' Sovereign
1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Athens , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazeevw View Post
It's FRIGGIN HAWT here in Florida. Too hot to even consider working on the outside or inside of Airstream. And then, when you consider I work outside (City Letter Carrier, and yes, I walk 7 1/2 miles a day delivering door-to-door) the last thing I want to do is spend more time in the heat. Still haven't hooked up 'new' A/C's either, cuz I've decided to seek more $ from my auto accident last year. If the $ comes through, the new profile A/C's are definitely on my shopping list, lol.

But, before I get anything up on that roof, I need to strip that crappy tar-based roofing paint. It's being VERY stubborn. Even with Aircraft stripper applied for an hour, this stuff won't budge. So, layer by layer, I'm getting it down to aluminum skin. Once the paint is gone, I can finally get the Eternabond on the seams up there, and get the white reflective roofing paint (with micro glass beads for R-factor) applied.

Like everything Airstream, it all takes time, just finding it is my biggest problem!

Pix of this mornings and this evenings progress.
Your air horns look shiny at the least. :-)
Old 08-20-2013, 03:17 PM   #383
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
those air horns are heading for trash bin soon. Only one works, and I've found a neat set that sound like a diesel train.

Of course, all that can wait till I get the roof finished!

Thanks, Derek
Old 09-22-2013, 08:17 AM   #384
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Advice

Ok,

About to get inside of the motorhome, get the new AirExcel's inside shrouds installed and get whatever furniture I can removed, rip out old carpet, as well as exisiting hardwood flooring.

If anyone has installed laminate, engineered or hardwood flooring, what type of installation did you use?

Floating? Glue? Nail?

Thanks, Derek
Old 09-22-2013, 12:02 PM   #385
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
You are not posting enough pics...
I wanna see how the new low profile AC's look!

As far as the flooring goes...
I would spend some hours looking at the flooring section in the Trailer forums... lots of good info there.
My gut feeling would be floating... lets face it, Airstream leak... given time and flex, it will be so.
Floating would be easy to pull up if you had to, even tho it might need to be replaced after. Downside to floating might be more noise/flexing but with our NVH... not a big issue.
I REALLY loved that Yacht style floor in the polished later model you posted with the lighter strips... very classy!
Keyair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:42 AM   #387
4 Rivet Member

1989 25' Excella
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Hobe Sound , Florida
Derek,
As to your flooring question. The best floor I've installed in my airstreams (24' tradewind, 345 and GMC) was a glued down vinyl plank by Armstrong(?). It was so good after installing it in the tradewind that I again used it in the GMC. With the 345, the previous owner put in a floating composite vinyl multi plank floor that was OK but not near as good as the glue down. Talk to you soon. Still no real interest in the 345.
Richard
raveson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:53 AM   #388
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Derek, on Photobucket...
To get the pics to display in the thread, click on the picture from the gallery, then off to the right side there is a group of 3 links...
Click on the one that says "Image"... it will say "copied" as you do that...
Return to your thread and right click and paste...
The link will show, but when you post it will appear as a pic...
Keyair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:32 PM   #389
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Has anyone ever located where to purchase the center "Airstream" logo discs for the rear axle center chrome 'caps'? Missing two and the other two are cracked. Any help would be appreciated.
Will post more pix on Wednesday, that's my day off this week, and no plans whatsoever, except to get LOTSA Airstream stuff completed!
Old 10-10-2013, 06:49 PM   #390
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Still at it with Tar-Based roofing paint. I'm getting closer each time I get up there, got another coat of CitriStrip on after work today, but today's post is about what I was able to accomplish yesterday on my day off from work.

Who knew that it would take 2 people to remove those bolts from Barrel Chairs? Anyhow, extra set of hands sure came in handy! Removed all of the carpet, as well as the de-laminating wood flooring. New flooring arrived last week, so figured it's time to get at it.

Discovered that just beyond bathroom door entry, my sub-flooring takes a big dip downward. I'm almost to the point of removing the entire interior and replacing the entire sub-floor. We'll see. Weather sure is nice here in FL, which makes for nice temps inside of the Airstream. I'll make that call this weekend.

Anyhow, here are the pix from yesterday's adventure.....

Old 10-10-2013, 07:28 PM   #391
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Wildwood , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to wxbuoy
Quote:

Who knew that it would take 2 people to remove those bolts from Barrel Chairs? Anyhow, extra set of hands sure came in handy! Removed all of the carpet, as well as the de-laminating wood flooring. New flooring arrived last week, so figured it's time to get at it.

Discovered that just beyond bathroom door entry, my sub-flooring takes a big dip downward. I'm almost to the point of removing the entire interior and replacing the entire sub-floor. We'll see. Weather sure is nice here in FL, which makes for nice temps inside of the Airstream. I'll make that call this weekend.

Anyhow, here are the pix from yesterday's adventure.....
[/URL]

I feel your pain with the barrel chairs! Just wait till you have to remove the cockpit chairs! Oh and the inboard passenger seat belt securing bolt is an absolute thrill.... You have to remove part of the undercarriage covering for the forward vent to get at the nut.

Looks like you are making great progress!! Haven't even attempted anything exterior on mine.

By the looks of the floor by the forward barrel chair, your side window needs a new gasket. I would think twice about replacing the sub-floor unless you are going to do a small section towards the middle and have the frame marked out. Like the trailers, the shell sits on the wood sub-floor and is attached through it. That was one of the reasons I went with the WEST epoxy system to strengthen and protect the area in the rear where I had slight water damage. Since the majority was under where the new bed/water tank would be put, I laminated a piece of luan onto to make it stronger then the original floor.

Good luck! Keep us posted... Still trying to decide if I want to replace the A/C's How easy was it. Your post seems to make it out to be fairly simple and strait forward...Which on an airstream I find hard to believe!
Old 10-10-2013, 07:42 PM   #392
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxbuoy View Post

I feel your pain with the barrel chairs! Just wait till you have to remove the cockpit chairs! Oh and the inboard passenger seat belt securing bolt is an absolute thrill.... You have to remove part of the undercarriage covering for the forward vent to get at the nut.

Looks like you are making great progress!! Haven't even attempted anything exterior on mine.

By the looks of the floor by the forward barrel chair, your side window needs a new gasket. I would think twice about replacing the sub-floor unless you are going to do a small section towards the middle and have the frame marked out. Like the trailers, the shell sits on the wood sub-floor and is attached through it. That was one of the reasons I went with the WEST epoxy system to strengthen and protect the area in the rear where I had slight water damage. Since the majority was under where the new bed/water tank would be put, I laminated a piece of luan onto to make it stronger then the original floor.

Good luck! Keep us posted... Still trying to decide if I want to replace the A/C's How easy was it. Your post seems to make it out to be fairly simple and strait forward...Which on an airstream I find hard to believe!
I removed the the cockpit chairs myself as well as the damn seat belts for the couch! LOL.

Just to make you all jealous, I'm sitting here at the ranch just enjoying the motorhome and the evening and about to bbq a steak. Damn I'm glad I have all the MH work done! LOL. Wink wink!
Old 10-11-2013, 03:46 AM   #393
Rivet Master

Wildwood , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy View Post
I removed the the cockpit chairs myself as well as the damn seat belts for the couch! LOL.

Just to make you all jealous, I'm sitting here at the ranch just enjoying the motorhome and the evening and about to bbq a steak. Damn I'm glad I have all the MH work done! LOL. Wink wink!
Thinking of days like that are all that is keeping me going now! Iv'e seen the work you've done, you deserve that steak!
Old 10-16-2013, 06:37 PM   #394
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy View Post

Dean, just be careful about what you say. Statements like the above can come back to haunt you

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 02:17 PM   #395
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post

Dean, just be careful about what you say. Statements like the above can come back to haunt you

Brad
Brad, you mean the one about the work all done? LOL. We all know I telling a big fib with that one! LOL
Old 10-17-2013, 02:28 PM   #396
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Anyone has a late 80's to early 90's Classic that could snap a pic of their Isolator on front firewall? If so, possible to post a pic here?

Thanks, Derek
Old 10-17-2013, 03:59 PM   #397
Rivet Master

Wildwood , Florida
Quote:
Anyone has a late 80's to early 90's Classic that could snap a pic of their Isolator on front firewall? If so, possible to post a pic here?

Thanks, Derek
Derek,

I will run over after dinner and get one for you. I will post it on you thread.
Old 10-17-2013, 05:34 PM   #398
Rivet Master

Wildwood , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxbuoy View Post
Derek,

I will run over after dinner and get one for you. I will post it on you thread.
First: I am an idiot.... This is your thread!

Second: I took a bunch of shots and didn't know what you were looking for. So I included two general ones full size so you can see every detail. Let me know if you want different angles or are looking for something in particular.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1875 - Copy.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	386.6 KB
ID:	198146   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1877 - Copy.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	354.3 KB
ID:	198147  

Old 10-17-2013, 06:04 PM   #399
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Hi Dave,

Thanks so much for the photos. Computer decided to puke all of my files and phone is acting up. Will save these on a separate drive for sure!

Thanks again, Derek
Old 10-18-2013, 11:12 AM   #400
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Brand-new captains chairs from shop4seats.com arrived today
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-3436822869.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	223.4 KB