Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-22-2009, 08:36 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1971 31' Sovereign
1967 22' Safari
1958 22' World Traveler
Pardeeville , Wisconsin
Robfike...I LOVE youre towed-vehicle...Love the German built stuff...It does kill me to see it in the snow :-) I can just hear it rusting from the salt! LOL
WBCCI #10917
AIR #32349
TAC #WI-2
aircooled4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 09:25 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Tujunga , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1987_345 View Post
It states that a floor safe is standard equipment in the 1987 345. Can anyone tell me where it is?
Ours is in the closet. Look closely at the floor. You should see a circular cut-out in the carpet. And don't feel bad. I didn't find it for three years.
str8strm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 10:06 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbosa View Post
Sharptalk,

I'm a trailer guy myself, but I'm stuck at home with a broken leg right now and I've been reading A LOT of forum threads the last couple days. Yours really caught my eye. That is a sweet looking motorhome. Reading about some of the cool features you have is cracking me up. Good luck finding your central vac and floor safe.

I saw a similar looking AS MoHo driving up I-90 outside Seattle last Saturday. The double rear axles give those things quite the beefy appearance. I showed my wife pictures of your rig tonight and told her I think it would make a great tow vehicle for our 59' Overlander. She just rolled her eyes and chalked it up to the pain killers I'm taking after surgery this afternoon. Good luck with your repair list.

Norm
Sorry about your leg. Heal fast! I can't wait to get it on the road. Know where the floor safe is. The vac is probably under the bathroom sink.

Seattle is one of our destinations. We have lots of family there and my husband just got back from a long weekend there. Our daughter would like to go to art school up there after she finishes high school this year.

Our car mechanic says he is able to take over the engine work We've used him for 20 years, so I feel a little better now. I just have to get it back from the rv shop tomorrow.

Now the ucky rv mechanics are throwing me out tomorrow. Have to figure out how to get it up to Scottsdale without gas in the tank. I called and asked them to find the cabinet door that is missing from the bathroom that was there when I dropped it off and they said I was being nitpicky and to go elsewhere.

Someone suggested getting a funnel with a long neck for the gas problem. My 20 year guy says someone probably cut the hose to siphon gas out and that is why it is leaking. Probably a good call on his part.

Wait until I can post some after pictures! Anyone have any ideas about replacing th 21' awning and pricing. How about them tires too? What will it run to replace all of them.

Anyone know where the alarm system is in this thing?
sharptalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 12:49 AM   #24
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Sounds as the best thing that has happened, is getting separated from that RV 'service without a smile place'
1972 Argosy 24'...
1954 Feathercraft Vagabond
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 08:41 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by klattu View Post
Sounds as the best thing that has happened, is getting separated from that RV 'service without a smile place'
My thoughts exactly!
Old 07-23-2009, 10:52 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Service tech dreck...?

Unfortunately, there are several 'service' centers that 'service' like an old profession...we can't list them on the forums for legal reasons...
mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharptalk View Post
My thoughts exactly!
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 04:30 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapIrony-2 View Post
Unfortunately, there are several 'service' centers that 'service' like an old profession...we can't list them on the forums for legal reasons...
mike
I picked it up and took it to my mechanic today. Drove 35 mph on the freeway with it. Anyone know where I can get a replacement hickory door for the cabinet under the bathroom sink?

By the way, the rv place said they don't do tires, brakes, radiators or transmissions. Nice of them to tell me as I am walking away.
Old 07-24-2009, 07:55 AM   #28
Kenneth

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Waxahachie , Texas
I had the same problem with my MH when I got it. It had been sitting about 4 years and the filler tube for the gas tank had just weather cracked from old age. As I would fill it, fuel would run out on the ground. Once I was finished fueling it would stop. Problem was I couldn't put more than 1/4 tank in, or when I would drive it would slosh around and continue to leak. Easy fix though
1987_345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 12:28 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
scottsdale , Arizona
I found a body shop that can probably refurb the awning and maybe a tire shop that can lift a truck for tires and breaks. I'll find out next week.
Old 08-01-2009, 09:31 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
scottsdale , Arizona
Got a toad last night! Cash for clunkers 2009 Honda Fit. Now I just have to upgrade the tow hitch on the back to 10,000# and attach the Nightshift tow kit to everything. FOund the local dealer for it. Not bad pricing. $200 on the hitch and $1550 on the tow kit installed.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:48 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
scottsdale , Arizona
Another question. I was just told that I need all 8 tires replaced at $200 each. The mechanic said that I might be ok with just the 4 single axles done and leave the old tires on the doubles for now to contain costs. Any thoughts?

Karen
Old 08-03-2009, 04:16 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Another question. I was just told that I need all 8 tires replaced at $200 each. The mechanic said that I might be ok with just the 4 single axles done and leave the old tires on the doubles for now to contain costs. Any thoughts?

Karen
Karen,

As much as I would like to say go for it, I would not recommend buying just four. We ran older tires that looked to be in great shape on our previous Winnebago motorhome and as luck would have it we had a blow out on the inner dually and it tore up a portion of the floor. (not a pretty sight)

Tires, brakes and steering are the three areas of the motorhome you don't want to cut costs on for your own safety and those around you.

I know its not what you wanted to hear.

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 06:50 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
scottsdale , Arizona
Brad, understood. I also just posted this in the tire section. See if anyone knows about better pricing.

What's left on the to do list-this mechanic,
a/c electrical short
low coolant light
belts and hoses check
lighter/cb not working on driver's side

What's left otherwise-
rear hydraulic leveler not working
loose blinds
awning-need to find out if it is repair or replace
drapes & cup holders-ordered from airstream
water filter replacement filter
tow kit and upgrade trailer hitch

Karen
Old 08-03-2009, 07:35 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Brad, understood. I also just posted this in the tire section. See if anyone knows about better pricing.

What's left on the to do list-this mechanic,
a/c electrical short
low coolant light
belts and hoses check
lighter/cb not working on driver's side

What's left otherwise-
rear hydraulic leveler not working
loose blinds
awning-need to find out if it is repair or replace
drapes & cup holders-ordered from airstream
water filter replacement filter
tow kit and upgrade trailer hitch

Karen
Not sure what tires/brand you're looking for but $200 is probably about the going rate. Do a search on motorhome tires and you might find some good info. Ours are Toyo's and we're quite happy with them.

I think all of the motorhomes have problems with the coolant lights. Ours goes on and off whenever it feels like it!

If your lighter wiring is like ours it will be fed directly from a circuit breaker located under the hood on the right side vertical brace. Ours has a series of 3 circuit breakers mounted there and I think the power came from there. Then again I could be thinking of the power seat feed .

Search under my user name bkahler and look for a thread on hitch upgrades that I posted too. There are a lot of good pictures in that thread to give you an idea of whats needed.

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
Old 08-03-2009, 08:04 PM   #35
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Some good examples to go by...
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f310...ity-35737.html
1972 Argosy 24'...
1954 Feathercraft Vagabond
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 10:34 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Hello Brad,
can you add a little more info on the Toyo tires you bought? Which model etc... I'm probably going to need 6 real soon (like maybe this weekend).

Thanks,
Ken
Old 08-04-2009, 10:26 AM   #37
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Search under my user name bkahler and look for a thread on hitch upgrades that I posted too. There are a lot of good pictures in that thread to give you an idea of whats needed.

Brad
Great pictures there. I was going to upgrade to a 10,000# hitch and use the Nightshift system that someone here recommended. Total cost will be $1750.00.

We leased a 2009 Honda Fit automatic for my husband, as it is towable and our 17 year old daughter would be able to use it if necessary.

Karen
Old 08-04-2009, 10:28 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
We bit the bullet and opted for Michelins...haven't(knock, knock) had any problems...we also bit the other bullet and replaced all of them at one time...The spare is original, but as another forums member noted, you actually are rolling on two spares...the tag-axles...supplementary, but not necessary for getting to the tire shop...m
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 04:23 PM   #39
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
scottsdale , Arizona
Next question!

The electrician is coming tomorrow to add a outlet for the 345. Do I need a 50amp or a 30amp installed?

Karen
Old 08-04-2009, 05:05 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback View Post
Hello Brad,
can you add a little more info on the Toyo tires you bought? Which model etc... I'm probably going to need 6 real soon (like maybe this weekend).

Thanks,
Ken
Ken,

The tires are:

Toyo Hyparadial
Load Range F
M120Z
8R19.5
12 PR (ply?)

That's all the information that was written on the tires.

Brad