Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2009, 04:12 PM   #81
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharptalk View Post
It is a three prong cord, but the original bill of sale says 50amp.

Karen
came with a 50amp ADAPTER! bought a replacement.
sharptalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 04:15 PM   #82
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by raveson View Post
If it helps any, just replaced all 4 of mine on our 89. Zipdee canvas and install on existing hardware ran $2,200. Be sure to have the dealer get you an up to date sample before they construct the new awnings.
Just calling around for pricing right now. $1872 + tax
Old 08-14-2009, 04:18 PM   #83
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Find the two leads (hopefully) near the tank. Once you have, either connect them to make the light go off or drill two holes in the tank at the need collant level and put through bolts with rubber washers so they don't leak and attach one lead to each. The level of the liquid will complete the circut and the the light will go off.
Worked great. But how do you get a low coolant warning?

What seems to be left-
CB not working
Window gaskets need replacing
Rear passenger leveler needs repair
Blinds need to be tightened
Awning to go to a Zipdee dealer to check if it's parts or replace-Desert West Coach
Clean up

Everything worked with the electrical hookup at the house last night and the mechanic just put in new batteries an hour ago. I'll put in propane on the way home.

Question-There is a spot in one of the cargo areas on the passenger side near the back. Someone said it was to attach an air hose to fill all the tires. Does anyone know about this?

Karen
Old 08-15-2009, 11:03 AM   #84
4 Rivet Member

2012 31' Classic
1999 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Andalusia , Alabama
Karen,
In the large storage bay on the curb-side rear there is an air fitting. It will be sticking out into the bay on the rear wall, up high. This is a quick disconnect fitting. It is supplied by the rear suspension air compressor.
Hope this helps, Rob
Robfike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 12:00 PM   #85
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robfike View Post
Karen,
In the large storage bay on the curb-side rear there is an air fitting. It will be sticking out into the bay on the rear wall, up high. This is a quick disconnect fitting. It is supplied by the rear suspension air compressor.
Hope this helps, Rob
Is this for the airbags? Where do I get an adapter for it?
Karen
Old 08-16-2009, 05:42 AM   #86
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Is this for the airbags? Where do I get an adapter for it?
Karen
Karen,

Its not "for" the airbags. The compressor that fills the airbags also has a quick disconnect fitting installed (what you've found) that can be used as an auxiliary air source for filling tires, etc.

Most likely if Airstream supplied a hose with this its probably long gone. In order to make use of this connection you'll need to buy an air hose and get the proper male connector attached to one end of the hose that will allow you to plug into your auxiliary connection. The other end of the hose you can use female quick disconnect fitting to hook an air nozzle or tire chuck.

We have this in our 310 and its quite handy at times. Beats trying to find a gas station with an air compressor to fill your tires.

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 01:24 PM   #87
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
Karen,

Its not "for" the airbags. The compressor that fills the airbags also has a quick disconnect fitting installed (what you've found) that can be used as an auxiliary air source for filling tires, etc.

Most likely if Airstream supplied a hose with this its probably long gone. In order to make use of this connection you'll need to buy an air hose and get the proper male connector attached to one end of the hose that will allow you to plug into your auxiliary connection. The other end of the hose you can use female quick disconnect fitting to hook an air nozzle or tire chuck.

We have this in our 310 and its quite handy at times. Beats trying to find a gas station with an air compressor to fill your tires.

Brad
OK! I understand. I will look for the parts in my future.
Karen
Old 08-16-2009, 08:36 PM   #88
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
One other thing you can connect to that airline is an air impact wrench. I carry an electric impact and/or an air impact with me when we travel. Makes it easy to replace a flat tire along the side of the road.

Been there, done that!

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
Old 08-17-2009, 02:52 PM   #89
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
One other thing you can connect to that airline is an air impact wrench. I carry an electric impact and/or an air impact with me when we travel. Makes it easy to replace a flat tire along the side of the road.

Been there, done that!

Brad
Sounds like a good idea.

Just dropped it off again at mechanic number 4 this morning. Maybe we can use it next year.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:46 PM   #90
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Sounds like a good idea.

Just dropped it off again at mechanic number 4 this morning. Maybe we can use it next year.
The good news is once you get all these items take care of you're going to have a nice motorhome. I think you'll find it worth the wait .

Brad
Old 08-18-2009, 10:45 PM   #91
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
scottsdale , Arizona
Wink

Quote:
The good news is once you get all these items take care of you're going to have a nice motorhome. I think you'll find it worth the wait .

Brad
OK, start of the next round-

3 new marine batteries installed at mechanic 2 (Ketchum's in Scottsdale).

Mechanic 4-Desert West Coach in Phoenix

Generator was not inspected with the oil change and flush at mechanic 3 (Dana Tires in Chandler). It is not working at all even though it worked when I bought it. They want $110 an hour for labor. They think 5 hours.

I was told by mechanic 3 that the rear passenger leveler was broken. The new guy says at least 2 are broken, that the system is not made anymore and that it would take at least 25 hours-looks like manual levelers will fit the bill.

Still waiting on the fact that the ac at driver is blowing hot air and that the engine hot light is still coming on over 45mph.

First mechanic that left me hanging (RV Supercenter), put in new car stereo, tv, dvd and convection microwave, but they only work if the rv is plugged into an electrical outlet at home. Did not attach to car battery.

Zipdee 21' awning can be repaired, so far looking at 6 hours labor at $660 and a minimum of $472 in parts, cloth looks ok, but if it is original it could disintegrate in a good wind. First mechanic said it needed to be totally replaced.

Still waiting for word on whether or not all belts and hoses are ok.

Waiting to get a quote on easing up the cords so the wood blinds glide better.

CB has no wires conecting it to battery, driver and passenger lighters still not working.

Still waiting for measurements so I can order window gasket replacements.

Sewage system still needs to be flushed-first guy didn't flush as ordered, he flushed the water heater instead.

Drapes are on order from airstream, should be here in about 3 weeks along with new cupholders and external sewage drain cover.

Still need a water filter replacement cartridge for the closet unit for the kitchen tap.

Still need all locks serviced, so that they don't stick and new keys made. Has anyone converted the exterior cargo latches from turn and open with no key, to ones with locks?

Mechanic 4 says he will clean the carpets of the greasy dirt that mechanic one left for free.

Comments and suggestions please?

Thanks again all. I might have it back by Thanksgiving so my company can sleep in it.
Old 08-19-2009, 12:07 PM   #92
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Sharptalk,
I really think it would be worthwhile to go visit(or just call and talk to) the fellow I recommended in Tucson(Tom)...tell him what you want done, he'll tell you what he can do, and he will do it(my experience, and we've used him twice)...There's also a place in Farmington, NM, that has done good work, although it took about a week to accomplish.
mike
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 02:51 PM   #93
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapIrony-2 View Post
Sharptalk,
I really think it would be worthwhile to go visit(or just call and talk to) the fellow I recommended in Tucson(Tom)...tell him what you want done, he'll tell you what he can do, and he will do it(my experience, and we've used him twice)...There's also a place in Farmington, NM, that has done good work, although it took about a week to accomplish.
mike
Mike,
I just called Tom. Thanks for the tip. He wants me to wait and see what mechanic 4 says first and then he will be able to tell me what he is able to work on for me. I think he will be able to install that cold air intake to cool the engine down.

Karen
Old 08-19-2009, 03:49 PM   #94
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Nowhere , Washington
Karen, I'm enjoying following this thread and look forward to some pics when you get this rig back together. You do seem to be taking on a ton of repairs all at once though. Any chance you could put a few things off a couple months and get some trips in before Winter (I say from a glass house as I prepare for a full restoration without having made a single trip)?
Norm
Old 08-19-2009, 04:30 PM   #95
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
scottsdale , Arizona
Norm,
You are right. I was just trying originally get it in running shape, but a snowball has started to roll.

What's most important to get on the rode right now-

Generator
AC driver
Hot light
Belts and hoses checked for wear.
Driver and passenger lighters so we have battery power to run navigation system and iPods
Some window gasket replacements for driver and passenger windows.
Sewage system still needs to be flushed.
Car stereo, tv, dvd and convection microwave need to work on all power systems
Drapes
Water filter replacement cartridge
Clean inside carpet and furniture

Karen

Pictures are of moho in front of our house and the wall I attacked to get it there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6411_116676084075_546559075_2156067_6732995_n.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	85709   Click image for larger version

Name:	6411_116676094075_546559075_2156068_1735482_n.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	85710  

Old 08-19-2009, 08:26 PM   #96
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Hey Karen,
Glad to hear you connected with Tom...as a future plan consideration, solar is a great alternative when you are on the road a bit more...
Cigarette lighters...fuse box in the glove compartment...?...other fuses under the bottom drawer to the right of the sink.
AC...if it hasn't been changed to R-32 coolant, it may be a bit pricey...ours only heated for quite awhile...then I was told that the cable that changed the system from hot to cold(blue to red on the dash control) could stick...you have to manually move the cable ...under the 'hood', to the left side as you face it, and behind the rubber 'facing'...toward the top...
Generator...if it is an Onan, most Cummings diesel places will work on it, but it will probably run you $100-150...if it needs a carbureator redo, $450...I think Camping Whirled will do them, also...
Water filter...we have twin beds, so our 'house' filter is located under the curbside bed...requires a plastic wrench to remove the housing(should be readily available at any big box store, or any big box RV center)...the filters are pretty universal.
Belts and hoses...just go ahead and replace all of them, then carry spares(probably ought to carry spare fuel filters, extra fuel line, and fuel pump)...there is a small fuel filter right next to the carbureator and one between the gas tank and the fuel pump...
We're taking out the front carpet, at least up to the cockpit, as it's a dirt and stain magnet, and for almost full-timing, a real pain...
Sewage...Black-1/2 cup of Dawn with several gallons of water, let sit for a week, add 10 pounds of ice, and immediately drive a winding and bumpy road...drain, and repeat as needed...Gray-we flush with a strong clorox solution...fill the kitchen sink with water, add 2-3 cups of bleach, drain into the tank, take the same twisty, bumpy road(you can do both tanks at the same time)...remember to empty and flush the black tank first, as there will be residual flow-back up the gray tank line...
Curb...if that's all the damage you did with a 16,000 pound vehicle, be V E R Y happy!!!
mike
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 09:26 PM   #97
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
scottsdale , Arizona
Mike,
Tom spent the time on the phone with me when I called in the middle of the afternoon!

Being a green girl, I would love to transfer to solar at a later date.

I know the fuse has been replaced, but I am not sure that the lighters work since I can't play in it.

I will pass the ac info on to the mechanic. Vents also do not stay put with the bouncing of the moho while driving.

These guys wanted $550 for removing the generator repairing it and putting it back in, not including parts. Unfortunately I told them to go ahead with it because they wouldn't check any further until I said they could fix it. My bad.

What brand filter do you like to use for the water? I don't even know if the kitchen sink/bathroom sink plumbing works yet.

Do you have the 345? Could I get a list from you or another 345er as to what to purchase-which belts, hoses, filters?

I replaced the marine batteries last week just because I didn't know how old they were.

I would love to put a wood or vinyl floor in eventually as I love dogs and at least 2 or 3 will be with me when we travel (small breeds-2 are still quite young).

LOVE the advice on how to flush the tanks!

Thank you for the compliment on the garden wall.

My 17 year old daughter was out last night with the Scion xD and someone tapped the back bumper reversing and there is a nice crack in it now.

Anyone with a 345 with all those windows across the back? I need the measurements of all the curtains and number of panels there are for Airstream to make the replacement curtains for the whole moho. Any help would be appreciated as it is not handy for me to get them from mine. Here is what Airstream asked for-

What I need is the description of the window location.
Measurement between top and bottom tracks on each window.

If you have the old drapes – I need the following info:

Number of panels on each window
Number of pleats on each panel
What tabs are on the top and bottom of each panel (G or T)
Also the snap locations.

If you do not have the old drapes.

I need the measurements of the length of the track on each window.

Karen

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	!cid_E495E01E408D486D961DB9ECA5BC0084@Brewer.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	85732  
Old 08-20-2009, 06:38 AM   #98
4 Rivet Member

1989 25' Excella
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Hobe Sound , Florida
345 trouble

Karen,
I have tossed my 2cents in a couple of times. Was in your area a couple of months ago and had good experiences with the AS dealer in Tuson and after a major brake failure got repaired in Prescott. I think the name of the place was Infinity RV. It sounds to me like the machanics you hve been delt don't know what thay are doing. We have had some of the same things repaired since we purchased our 1989 345 4 years ago and from your descriptions of the necessary repairs done, you need a good machanic. Example: The rear "levelers" I assume you mean the controllers for the rear air bags, can be repaired with standard parts available not only from AS, but many places. We had to do the left side last year. Your gen should be looked at be an ONAN dealer or certified machanic. Some of the parts are costly, but repairable. We run with the gen on and use the roof air for cooling on the run. Have been told that it uses less fuel and does not put extra strain on the engine as you need all you can get in the higher elevations. Even after 4 years of repairing this and that, there is always something to do, but the enjoyment of a 345 is well worth it.
raveson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 10:37 AM   #99
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Karen,
Example: The rear "levelers" I assume you mean the controllers for the rear air bags, can be repaired with standard parts available not only from AS, but many places. We had to do the left side last year. Your gen should be looked at be an ONAN dealer or certified machanic. Some of the parts are costly, but repairable. We run with the gen on and use the roof air for cooling on the run. Have been told that it uses less fuel and does not put extra strain on the engine as you need all you can get in the higher elevations. Even after 4 years of repairing this and that, there is always something to do, but the enjoyment of a 345 is well worth it.
Rear levelers are the hydraulics for leveling once parked.

What have you paid for Onan repairs?

Will follow your advice for cabin air once the generator is repaired. They blow nice and cold.

Karen
Old 08-20-2009, 10:39 AM   #100
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
scottsdale , Arizona
Hey Mike,
Our 20 year old son just moved to Tucson in July and I can now give him the name of a good mechanic! Forgot about that, but now he can stop driving up here for service.
Thanks again.