Old 07-21-2009, 10:32 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
On our 310 the vacuum motor is under the floor panel of the bathroom vanity. We found it because of the hose outlet port in the hallway wall next to the vanity. If yours is in the same location the floor of the vanity is removable to provide access to the motor.

The hose outlet port should be about 1-3/4" in diameter and have a little flap that covers it. When you lift the flap and stick the hose in the motor starts running.

We managed to scrounge a complete hose assembly, the vacuum hand canister and a spare motor for ours. The filters that go in the hand canister are another problem. Susan is going to end up making some replacement filters since they are no longer available.

Brad
I saw a Dirt Devil central vac at Camping World. I wonder if that will work? I will have to look in the bathroom once I get it back again.

Anyone live in the Phoenix area and know a decent mechanic to use once this part is over?

Karen

Old 07-22-2009, 09:30 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Speedway , Indiana
Sharptalk,
I put a post on the forum titled "345 trailer towing" back in 2006 where I gave all the info for where we had the trailer hitch beef-up done. The guys that did the work were great to work with. You should be able to do a search under robfike to get to the thread.
Rob

Old 07-22-2009, 11:02 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robfike View Post
Sharptalk,
I put a post on the forum titled "345 trailer towing" back in 2006 where I gave all the info for where we had the trailer hitch beef-up done. The guys that did the work were great to work with. You should be able to do a search under robfike to get to the thread.
Rob
Thanks Rob. I found it. Do you remember the cost involved?
Old 07-22-2009, 05:19 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Tujunga , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharptalk View Post
Thanks Rob. I found it. Do you remember the cost involved?
After seeing Robfike's upgrade, we had ours done. The cost was $600.
We flat tow a Mini Cooper S, but like having the ability to tow more if the necessity arises.
str8strm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 08:39 PM   #19
Kenneth

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Waxahachie , Texas
Hey there

It is great to see so many 345 owners in one thread. I accidently opened this thread up looking for something else. I posted a thread this morning regarding the sales / marketing brochure I acquired for my MH. It states that a floor safe is standard equipment in the 1987 345. Can anyone tell me where it is?
Old 07-22-2009, 09:21 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Nowhere , Washington
Nice Rig!

Quote:
As is images
Sharptalk,

I'm a trailer guy myself, but I'm stuck at home with a broken leg right now and I've been reading A LOT of forum threads the last couple days. Yours really caught my eye. That is a sweet looking motorhome. Reading about some of the cool features you have is cracking me up. Good luck finding your central vac and floor safe.

I saw a similar looking AS MoHo driving up I-90 outside Seattle last Saturday. The double rear axles give those things quite the beefy appearance. I showed my wife pictures of your rig tonight and told her I think it would make a great tow vehicle for our 59' Overlander. She just rolled her eyes and chalked it up to the pain killers I'm taking after surgery this afternoon. Good luck with your repair list.

Norm
Old 07-22-2009, 09:36 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1971 31' Sovereign
1967 22' Safari
1958 22' World Traveler
Pardeeville , Wisconsin
Robfike...I LOVE youre towed-vehicle...Love the German built stuff...It does kill me to see it in the snow :-) I can just hear it rusting from the salt! LOL
WBCCI #10917
AIR #32349
TAC #WI-2
aircooled4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 10:25 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Tujunga , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1987_345 View Post
It states that a floor safe is standard equipment in the 1987 345. Can anyone tell me where it is?
Ours is in the closet. Look closely at the floor. You should see a circular cut-out in the carpet. And don't feel bad. I didn't find it for three years.
str8strm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 11:06 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbosa View Post
Sharptalk,

I'm a trailer guy myself, but I'm stuck at home with a broken leg right now and I've been reading A LOT of forum threads the last couple days. Yours really caught my eye. That is a sweet looking motorhome. Reading about some of the cool features you have is cracking me up. Good luck finding your central vac and floor safe.

I saw a similar looking AS MoHo driving up I-90 outside Seattle last Saturday. The double rear axles give those things quite the beefy appearance. I showed my wife pictures of your rig tonight and told her I think it would make a great tow vehicle for our 59' Overlander. She just rolled her eyes and chalked it up to the pain killers I'm taking after surgery this afternoon. Good luck with your repair list.

Norm
Sorry about your leg. Heal fast! I can't wait to get it on the road. Know where the floor safe is. The vac is probably under the bathroom sink.

Seattle is one of our destinations. We have lots of family there and my husband just got back from a long weekend there. Our daughter would like to go to art school up there after she finishes high school this year.

Our car mechanic says he is able to take over the engine work We've used him for 20 years, so I feel a little better now. I just have to get it back from the rv shop tomorrow.

Now the ucky rv mechanics are throwing me out tomorrow. Have to figure out how to get it up to Scottsdale without gas in the tank. I called and asked them to find the cabinet door that is missing from the bathroom that was there when I dropped it off and they said I was being nitpicky and to go elsewhere.

Someone suggested getting a funnel with a long neck for the gas problem. My 20 year guy says someone probably cut the hose to siphon gas out and that is why it is leaking. Probably a good call on his part.

Wait until I can post some after pictures! Anyone have any ideas about replacing th 21' awning and pricing. How about them tires too? What will it run to replace all of them.

Anyone know where the alarm system is in this thing?
Old 07-23-2009, 01:49 AM   #24
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Sounds as the best thing that has happened, is getting separated from that RV 'service without a smile place'
1972 Argosy 24'...
1954 Feathercraft Vagabond
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 09:41 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by klattu View Post
Sounds as the best thing that has happened, is getting separated from that RV 'service without a smile place'
My thoughts exactly!
Old 07-23-2009, 11:52 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Service tech dreck...?

Unfortunately, there are several 'service' centers that 'service' like an old profession...we can't list them on the forums for legal reasons...
mike

Quote:
My thoughts exactly!
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 05:30 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapIrony-2 View Post
Unfortunately, there are several 'service' centers that 'service' like an old profession...we can't list them on the forums for legal reasons...
mike
I picked it up and took it to my mechanic today. Drove 35 mph on the freeway with it. Anyone know where I can get a replacement hickory door for the cabinet under the bathroom sink?

By the way, the rv place said they don't do tires, brakes, radiators or transmissions. Nice of them to tell me as I am walking away.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:55 AM   #28
Kenneth

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Waxahachie , Texas
I had the same problem with my MH when I got it. It had been sitting about 4 years and the filler tube for the gas tank had just weather cracked from old age. As I would fill it, fuel would run out on the ground. Once I was finished fueling it would stop. Problem was I couldn't put more than 1/4 tank in, or when I would drive it would slosh around and continue to leak. Easy fix though