Old 12-20-2015, 06:51 PM   #113
4 Rivet Member

1979 24' Airstream Excella 24
Tipp City , Ohio
I hate to tell you this but, that looks just like mine did when I started. If you don't disturb it that tubing seems to last a long time. Those fittings on the other hand get brittle with age. I fixed one. then another failed. then another, I finally broke down and replaced everything with pex tubing and brass fittings. I would fix that one the best you can and see what happens. Just be aware that you may have more problems. I would not leave the those pipes under pressure when the MoHo is unattended.

Old 12-21-2015, 03:06 PM   #114
4 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Kansas city , Missouri
I got the shower connection repaired enough to get the tank drained. I pressurize the system and begin to hear water spraying somewhere in the bathroom cabinet/wall and in the kitchen. Water also leaking from faucet base. Looks like a re plumb is in order... I hear pex is the easiest and most effective way to go about this. Good news is I found I can open some valves and drain the tank with the pump to the ground. I guess I don't have to really worry about the water lines freezing now... Any recommendations?

Old 12-21-2015, 05:03 PM   #115
Rivet Master

2005 34' Classic S/O
2006 39' Land Yacht 396 XL
north blenheim , New York
I replaced "all" the original plumbing "grey lines" in my 325. I made all hot water lines red, cold blue, and supply white. I removed complete left side out in one piece and laid it out in the garage floor and used it as a template for the new. Do yourself a favor and purchase the 10 foot straight tubes and not the rolled stuff. It is a lot easier to install. Plenty of pictures on my tag "it's never done" Regards, Bob
Old 12-22-2015, 03:29 PM   #116
4 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Kansas city , Missouri
Got something sorted with the cave. Now she is warm and off the street in front of the house. Our neighbor accused me of "breaking bad"...
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1450823382.308713.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	254369
Old 12-22-2015, 04:02 PM   #117
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Hanalei, /Chino Valley , Hawaii / Arizona
That cave is such an interesting storage place! Is there elec.to the site? Can you work on the unit in there? Seems like in the area next to the coach you could set up a little work station and go at it.

Will it stay clean in there?

I sure enjoyed you buying and first trip story. Keep it up.

Cheers Richard
Old 12-22-2015, 07:13 PM   #118
4 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Kansas city , Missouri
I can get to it and work on it 24/7. No electric to the spot it is in. We don't have a perm spot yet until he finds room. The dock it is parked in is temp until he rents the space it belongs to. I thought asking the price for the rental if I could get some other trailers or mh to split the cost. $$$$$$$$ I bet.. It is great during the winter we walk our dogs down there. It is 10 floors underground and a constant temp year round. There is a lot of dust that settles on top of anything though. I just go to the blue beacon and they wash it off for me!

Now to figure out the window seals. Probably after Christmas is over... So many projects. What to do first!

On the pex plumbing would it be better to use the easy slide in connectors, the pinchy clampy things, or the rings? I really don't anticipate the curb side to be too terrible as I think I can get to most of the plumbing without too much fuss. The other side may be more challenging . Did they run the water lines through the walls in the bedroom? The lovely upholstered wall is going away eventually anyhow so I am hoping it is just behind that but I tend to have iffy luck...
Old 12-22-2015, 09:05 PM   #119
Rivet Master

1936 20' Clipper
1947 22' Liner
Curtis Wright
1989 37' Airstream 370
marshfield , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreimer View Post
I can get to it and work on it 24/7. No electric to the spot it is in. We don't have a perm spot yet until he finds room. The dock it is parked in is temp until he rents the space it belongs to. I thought asking the price for the rental if I could get some other trailers or mh to split the cost. $$$$$$$$ I bet.. It is great during the winter we walk our dogs down there. It is 10 floors underground and a constant temp year round. There is a lot of dust that settles on top of anything though. I just go to the blue beacon and they wash it off for me!

Now to figure out the window seals. Probably after Christmas is over... So many projects. What to do first!

On the pex plumbing would it be better to use the easy slide in connectors, the pinchy clampy things, or the rings? I really don't anticipate the curb side to be too terrible as I think I can get to most of the plumbing without too much fuss. The other side may be more challenging . Did they run the water lines through the walls in the bedroom? The lovely upholstered wall is going away eventually anyhow so I am hoping it is just behind that but I tend to have iffy luck...
I'm fascinated by "the cave". What's this thing all about? What are the details of its origin and purpose? It sounds like an amazing space.
Old 12-22-2015, 10:21 PM   #120
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
How do you go about getting the coach 10 floors down?
Is it an old mine?
Old 12-22-2015, 11:53 PM   #121
4 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Kansas city , Missouri
1988 345 w\454

It is pretty cool. We drive in and down a ramp in the side of a hill. I think they believe it was initially started as part of a railroad tunnel. The web site is www.downtownunderground.com I think. Check the history portion. It is pretty neat. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1450853472.987649.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	254391 this is where the trailer is stored. We had the grass and awning out just for the picture. This is pre-polish...

I found a ton of paperwork in the 345. Apparently it got a new henschen tag axle in 2001 with some techy air suspension on it that connects to the other axle. The transmission was either replaced or rebuilt in 2008. New front furnace in 2008. At some point there was damage to both front wheel/hub assemblies axles and they were replaced with new parts.

Pulled the awning out when we got it to the cave. It is a bit crispy... Probably needs replaced. Along with a couple Windows... Trying to find a less expensive alternative than the $400+ that I saw on I think it was vts. Need the street side bedroom slider and the driver window slider. The bedroom window is shattered and the driver slider is lexan. Both are currently secured with lovely white vinyl tape.

We are planning to take the coach to western Kansas the day after Christmas. My dad is gonna help me find the fuel leak and repair it. I can probably persuade him to help get the steering repaired as well!

I figure I can check the tanks with a garden hose while we are out there. Easier to open the tanks on the farm than in the city. The tend to frown on the black tank openly draining on the street.....
Old 12-23-2015, 08:21 AM   #122
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
A note of caution Kreimer, a number of nice classic coaches have been lost to fires. I was relieved that you made it home without incident.
There is little magic in the fuel system, its pretty straight forward and accessible for inspection. With a lot of possible leak points that could be easily fixed once found.
I'm digging that cave! Ha I crack myself up.

Cheers Richard
Old 12-27-2015, 10:38 PM   #123
4 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Kansas city , Missouri
Made it back across Kansas! Only one hiccup. Stopped in Hays at Walmart. Engine wouldn't start. Had to hold flap in carb open to get it started. Next two days hopefully will be productive! Wanting to get fuel leak fixed, steering repaired, and perhaps the leak in the exhaust repaired. Still not using any oil at all! Surprised the hell out of me! Does anyone else find the pilot's seat uncomfortable? We also discovered the old road star flying saucer antennae on the roof still works!
Old 12-28-2015, 10:23 AM   #124
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Thats good news that the oil is staying in! Burning and leaking is not uncommon!

If it still has a Quadrajet, it might need some fettling. Might be a poorly adjusted choke, or heat soak causing vapor lock. That is a common problem after a stop, that will only get worse when the summer comes. The rear electic pump is supposed to help. GM has a whole discussion about it, and cures in the chassis manual. I think there is a link in the Classic MH sticky at the top of the thread index page.

Also, if you have the Banks kit, make sure you have a starter heat shield in place, as the headers will fry the starter alive! Not a bad idea to add one even if it has he original cast headers.

I too found the drivers seat too soft and squishy to offer any real support, and only just bearable for a few hours. I acquired some Range Rover seats that I plan to install when I get to it!

All in all, sound like a nice find!
Old 12-28-2015, 10:36 AM   #125
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyair View Post
I think there is a link in the Classic MH sticky at the top of the thread index page.
Steve, last time I checked a few weeks ago I think the links to the chassis manual were not working.
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 11:15 AM   #126
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
I just checked and you are correct Brad.
I will find it and repost.
I have it is PDF, if you want to post it on your site?