Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-19-2011, 11:26 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
scottsdale , Arizona
1987 345 Alarm

I'm debating about putting in an alarm. Should I just go with a better door deadbolt and an ignition kill switch? Or skip the whole thing?
Old 05-19-2011, 12:55 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Las Vegas , Nevada
A better deadbolt cant hurt but look how many many other ways there are to get inside.
A hidden kill sw is great as it will slow them down and the more you have to slow them down is always in your favor, such as if it's where you can leave the batt's disconnected that makes another couple locks they have to overcome even if they get inside the coach.
I like the idea of a hidden tracking device that are available now a days.
345bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 01:11 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
scottsdale , Arizona
I am waiting for pricing right now. The alternative was something wired to all the doors and windows, but this is not a million dollar rv.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 345bill View Post
A better deadbolt cant hurt but look how many many other ways there are to get inside.
A hidden kill sw is great as it will slow them down and the more you have to slow them down is always in your favor, such as if it's where you can leave the batt's disconnected that makes another couple locks they have to overcome even if they get inside the coach.
I like the idea of a hidden tracking device that are available now a days.
Old 05-21-2011, 06:43 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
I've relocated & hidden the battery disconnect switch installed by the factory. A 2nd switch has been installed. It is a momentary normally off pushbutton switch. The 2 wires run out under the dog house before tying into the ignition. This switch must be pushed while turning the key for the engine to start. Put a fake label on this switch like "Fog Lights" or "driving Lights". This will discourage a would be thief from using that switch in the middle of the night.
I've also been thinking about a manual battery disconnect hidden somewhere, but not interested in the added cost of all that extra wire.
Don't waste your money on a steering wheel "Club". The theives cut the steering wheel to get them off.
I personally use Canine Security on my MH.
Ricky

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 08:52 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
scottsdale , Arizona
Canine would be good. Do you think the 4 pound yorkie will stop them?

Actually I've got 4 dogs. 3 are smaller, the 4th is a 28 pound Australian Shepherd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Dog Nite View Post
I've relocated & hidden the battery disconnect switch installed by the factory. A 2nd switch has been installed. It is a momentary normally off pushbutton switch. The 2 wires run out under the dog house before tying into the ignition. This switch must be pushed while turning the key for the engine to start. Put a fake label on this switch like "Fog Lights" or "driving Lights". This will discourage a would be thief from using that switch in the middle of the night.
I've also been thinking about a manual battery disconnect hidden somewhere, but not interested in the added cost of all that extra wire.
Don't waste your money on a steering wheel "Club". The theives cut the steering wheel to get them off.
I personally use Canine Security on my MH.
Ricky
Old 05-21-2011, 11:20 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Canine deterrents are great. A small flock of guard flamingos can also be useful.

Cheers, Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3078.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	419.4 KB
ID:	130380   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3069.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	546.3 KB
ID:	130381  

Smartstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 11:59 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Wanna steal my Airstream, or break into my home?
Go ahead!

Having said that... an Alarm does not eat $100 a month in Kibble...
Keyair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 11:28 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
scottsdale , Arizona
Rofl!
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartstream View Post
canine deterrents are great. A small flock of guard flamingos can also be useful.

Cheers, dan
Old 05-23-2011, 11:32 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
scottsdale , Arizona
My guard dogs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyair View Post
Wanna steal my Airstream, or break into my home?
Go ahead!

Having said that... an Alarm does not eat $100 a month in Kibble...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20110326-00009.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	276.2 KB
ID:	130501   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20110427-00023.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	254.1 KB
ID:	130502  

Old 05-23-2011, 11:42 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Oakland County , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharptalk View Post
........... Or skip the whole thing?
I like the guard dog idea! Otherwise, just "skip the whole thing". How fast and stealthily can one get away driving a slow, 18,000 pound gas guzzler, anyways?

I wonder how often motorhomes are stolen compared to automobiles. Anybody out there have any info on that?
Michigan
Michigander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 11:54 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
scottsdale , Arizona
Mine is only 14,000 pounds I think.

QUOTE=Michigander;996128]I like the guard dog idea! Otherwise, just "skip the whole thing". How fast and stealthily can one get away driving a slow, 18,000 pound gas guzzler, anyways?

I wonder how often motorhomes are stolen compared to automobiles. Anybody out there have any info on that?[/QUOTE]
Old 05-23-2011, 12:37 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
I thought on installing an alarm. Is this for when the unit is in long term storage? If so, think about solar power to recharge the battery. A small portable unit placed on the large dashboard should do. Even a low discharge alarm will kill a battery. One my brother installed in his cargo van would kill his battery in 25 days without starting it once in a while.

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 02:06 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Oakland County , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharptalk View Post
Mine is only 14,000 pounds I think.
14,000 pounds is still 7 tons! Definitely a slow getaway vehicle.
Michigan
Michigander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 02:09 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
I think that most thefts would be break-in's to steal stuff from the unit... Solar Panels, laptops, TV's, cash, and jewlery, etc.
Most of these will occur when you are at a campsite, or traveling, as they know you will have this stuff with you, hence the dogs, or an NRA sticker... My friend carries a shotgun loaded with Rocksalt when travelling...
Both my dogs have weapons training, and trust me that the Black one will take your hand off at the wrist if you point a weapon at me... and at 90lb with the Black lab huge teeth and the pittbull jaw strength, he will get the job done..

A good alarm with an ultrasonic unit to protect the interior would work good when unattended, but add a small solar panel to keep the battery topped off.
If you are worried about loosing the whole unit, Lojack, or any tracking device is awesome...
Keyair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 02:28 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
scottsdale , Arizona
I'm going with an ignition kill switch and a new dead bolt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyair View Post
I think that most thefts would be break-in's to steal stuff from the unit... Solar Panels, laptops, TV's, cash, and jewlery, etc.
Most of these will occur when you are at a campsite, or traveling, as they know you will have this stuff with you, hence the dogs, or an NRA sticker... My friend carries a shotgun loaded with Rocksalt when travelling...
Both my dogs have weapons training, and trust me that the Black one will take your hand off at the wrist if you point a weapon at me... and at 90lb with the Black lab huge teeth and the pittbull jaw strength, he will get the job done..

A good alarm with an ultrasonic unit to protect the interior would work good when unattended, but add a small solar panel to keep the battery topped off.
If you are worried about loosing the whole unit, Lojack, or any tracking device is awesome...