Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-18-2012, 01:38 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Send a message via Skype™ to Jenniflow
1986 345 MH value?

We are coming to the sad conclusion that we should sell our 345 1986 MH. We could really use some help assigning a value to it. It's the model with the two twins in the rear.

The good news is that the RV garage says that it's running fine with 78,000+ miles on it, the transmission is good, there's a lot of use left on the tires, 70% on the brakes, there's a new engine battery, no apparent oil or brake fluid leaks, or if there are some they're very slow. Also a solar panel on the roof. The stove works, the microwave works, the monitor and lights work except for one bulb that may be burned out. There are two safes on board (!). I believe they told me that the toilet, bathroom sink, and shower appear to be working, but I might have misremembered that because I don't know if they can fully test those with a leak under the kitchen sink (see below).

The upholstery is tired but not particularly damaged except for a couple of small cigarette burns, the leather seats up front are in pretty good shape. We're missing one of the barrel chairs and the other could probably stand to be reupholstered. There's no blender, the wood cabinets could use a lot of help, some of the panels are loose, some could be replaced, some could be refinished. the frames appear to be intact and unwarped.

The coach batteries are dry so we don't have a good test yet for the solar system, there is a leak under the kitchen sink, there are two soft spots on the floor (driver's side rear, passenger side behind the passenger seat), the suspension air bags need to be replaced, as does the propane regulator, and fridge (or fridge cooling unit), the carpet needs to be replaced and there could well be mold behind the paneling because there was a leak in the driver's side window over the dinette.

The rear propane heater has been cannibalized for the front propane heater (or vice versa?) Driver's side wiper motor works, passenger side doesn't and there's the fixed panel in the driver's side window now plexiglass needs to be replaced because it's almost opaque.

The trim paint on the exterior is peeling, there's a small dent in the roof near the back curve of the roof line and some superficial scratches on the curb side that could probably be polished out. The rims are rusty. There's rust underneath but the mechanic told us he scraped at a lot of the crucial places and it's superficial.

They didn't take the whole engine apart so we don't have a good picture of the belts and hoses, etc.

The generator is varnished but the a/c's appear to be working. (How they tested that I don't even know).

So my question to you is how does a person assign a value to such a thing?

Thanks for any advice on this!
Jenniflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 03:09 PM   #2
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Since you were so candid to describe a lot of the problems, its fairly easy to add up some numbers and then compare it to units sold on the open market.
You did not mention any of the awnings, the hot water heater and the 12 v/110 v system.
I can easily add up the must fix items to come out to $10,000.- or more, for parts only. If someone needs to hire a professional to do all the work, we are looking 15 k or more. Well taken care units that are fully functional with all systems go, sell for around 20,000 to 25,000.
This may give you an idea. Good luck!
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 03:35 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Thanks so much Peter. I get your drift about the order of magnitude here.

I realized that I'm asking because I'm wondering whether some of these problems are so expensive that we're not likely to get much for the coach and I could go ahead and rip the thing up without sacrificing much value. If we could get something for it I wouldn't do that.

So yes, I forgot those items, here they are:

The big awning on the curb side has about a 3 inch separation from its holder on the right side. I don't know if this can be repaired, maybe has to be replaced.
The hot water heater is working fine.
I believe the 12/v 110 system has been tested and it's working fine but I will double check today when I pick up the coach.

Also, I have heard that some campgrounds will not allow a rig this age to camp. Is that true? Do people here run up against that? Or do you have to demonstrate something about the degree of restoration of your rig?

My other main question, I guess, has to do with whether the coach is just musty and that's what I smell or whether there's mold inside the paneling that I can't see. I can't see any mold on the outside that's why I'm asking. Is it common for the floors to mold when there's a leak? If there's a leak from the windows, will there likely be mold inside the paneling and we'd have to rip that all out? I don't know whether there's much for mold to live on inside the plush paneling.

I'm just trying to get a sense of the scope of the problem and of the limitations I'll run up against camping if I get it back on the road.
Old 07-18-2012, 03:48 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
I hope you've had some great cruises in that old dear, but as Peter says, she is about at the end of her lifespan before major upgrades are necessary for trouble-free adventures. I would sell Bess (no I would not), for around 60k, given everything is fresh, a couple of times, and I have all the paperwork to prove it. Yours is prolly worth, depending on the skin condition and other high dollar items not mentioned, between six and nine thousand. One could easily sink 10-20k before she was long-haul ready. Some fools (Keyair comes to mind) can do most of their own work, but a AS expert is not only hard to find, but $$$$. You'll know when the right nutcase comes to look at her, and you'll give them a hell of a deal, knowing she's going to a good home and, hopefully, heading back to the Asphalt Sea, where she belongs.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 03:56 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Hmmmm. Yes, Mike, thanks, that sounds about right, valuewise.

But if I was crazy enough to keep her, what do you say about the mold v. musty question? Or the campground question? Those are big factors for me in deciding whether to nurse her along and work on her gradually ourselves. Do I have to do a major overhaul just to be allowed into most campgrounds?
Old 07-18-2012, 04:00 PM   #6
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenniflow View Post
Thanks so much Peter. I get your drift about the order of magnitude here.

I realized that I'm asking because I'm wondering whether some of these problems are so expensive that we're not likely to get much for the coach and I could go ahead and rip the thing up without sacrificing much value. If we could get something for it I wouldn't do that.

So yes, I forgot those items, here they are:

The big awning on the curb side has about a 3 inch separation from its holder on the right side. I don't know if this can be repaired, maybe has to be replaced.
The hot water heater is working fine.
I believe the 12/v 110 system has been tested and it's working fine but I will double check today when I pick up the coach.

Also, I have heard that some campgrounds will not allow a rig this age to camp. Is that true? Do people here run up against that? Or do you have to demonstrate something about the degree of restoration of your rig?

My other main question, I guess, has to do with whether the coach is just musty and that's what I smell or whether there's mold inside the paneling that I can't see. I can't see any mold on the outside that's why I'm asking. Is it common for the floors to mold when there's a leak? If there's a leak from the windows, will there likely be mold inside the paneling and we'd have to rip that all out? I don't know whether there's much for mold to live on inside the plush paneling.

I'm just trying to get a sense of the scope of the problem and of the limitations I'll run up against camping if I get it back on the road.
I definitely would remove the paneling under the leaky windows, just to see the extend of the damage. As for the floor, I had a Motorhome with several soft spots and dry rot. Once it dried out, the mold stopped and some chlorox got rid of the musky odor. If the damage is not to extensive, installing a wooden floor will bridge the soft spots and get rid of old carpet smell.
Like Mike says, you need to be a real motivated seller and find a real motivated buyer. Just tell the buyer, we will take good care of him/her once he/she jumps of the cliff ....
AIR #13
Old 07-18-2012, 04:07 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
As to your question concerning "no rigs under 10 years old", we've had no problems, in fact, we've parked next to some million dollar mo/hos and admired each other's coaches. That being said, if the coach (or you and the flock of barking dogs) looks lowlife, they have the right to move you on down the road.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:12 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Thanks, you guys, this is extremely helpful. Somebody's going for the cliff now, we'll see who it is, us or them.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:19 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Our short friend, Vinnie (Airslide), who is a contractor and a mod, is not that far from you. For a couple of expensive beers and some shrimp, he might come take a look at her. Give him a PM.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:37 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Thanks Mike, I just PMed him. We just drove it home from the garage and I haveta say I'm really reluctant to let this chance to do Anything At All to a vehicle like this now that it's lost so much value. It seems like a huge creative opportunity! So I'm not beat yet.

Maybe something a little steampunk ...
Old 07-18-2012, 06:04 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Thanks Mike, I just PMed him. We just drove it home from the garage and I haveta say I'm really reluctant to let this chance to do Anything At All to a vehicle like this now that it's lost so much value. It seems like a huge creative opportunity! So I'm not beat yet.

I understand, I lived in Sausalito on a houseboat at gate 5 in the late sixties.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:28 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
You did! That's great. Yes, we spend a lot of our time in a converted Army tugboat in downtown Sausalito and I'll be damned if I'm handing this rig off to Burning Man before I've had a good think about it.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:30 PM   #13
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:

Look at the bright side, we get to spend all your hard earned money with our expensive taste and bottomless advice.
Just imagine the day you open your genny department to see this :
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ev6010.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	195.5 KB
ID:	163393  
AIR #13
Old 07-18-2012, 08:19 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Genny department?

Um. Where did the genny go?
Old 07-18-2012, 08:23 PM   #15
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Um. Where did the genny go?
Generator department, your power plant...
AIR #13
Old 07-19-2012, 09:56 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH-87MH View Post
Look at the bright side, we get to spend all your hard earned money with our expensive taste and bottomless advice.
Just imagine the day you open your genny department to see this :
Is that your genny, Peter?
Old 07-19-2012, 10:06 AM   #17
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
Is that your genny, Peter?
Yes, Mike, Honda EV6010 watercooled. Great for real hot climates. I had a Honda EV4010 in my 79 Motorhome for over 10 years and really like them. When they are brand new they seem to be a bit loud, but they settle down after they break in.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f160...ing-92061.html
AIR #13
Old 07-19-2012, 10:10 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH-87MH View Post
Yes, Mike, Honda EV6010 watercooled. Great for real hot climates. I had a Honda EV4010 in my 79 Motorhome for over 10 years and really like them. When they are brand new they seem to be a bit loud, but they settle down after they break in.
A sweet install, I'd assume they are very quiet once broken-in. Honda makes nice stuff. Our propane-powered Onan is still cooking along after 1300 hrs. with problems zero other than normal service and a rotted exhaust pipe.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:42 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
To sell, or keep and repair

Just my .02 cents worth. If you're motivated, and don't mind the never ending list of 'to-do's' on the motorhome, I'd say GO FOR IT! The prices quoted previously are spot-on, considering the amount of work your AS motorhome requires.
Time, Patience and $$$$ are a requirement for Classic Motorhome ownership.
The best part about ownership, you sure as heck won't see yourself coming down the road.....
Thanks, Derek
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:23 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Talking I'm keeping it!

After much soul searching and downright stubbornness I've decided to make my coach into an inhabitable and drivable art project!

I have always wanted to do this but had trouble justifying the expense. But now that she needs so much wOrk anyway I have the excuse to do exactly what I want and I am really thrilled.

It was very funny, actually. We were just deciding to sell the motyho (as I fondly call her) and my daughter-in-law, completely unaware of this whole issue, posted on my Facebook page a picture of a an old AS trailer draped in lights with a quote saying Only Travel Makes You Richer. I looked at that and I thought, screw this crap, I'm not giving this dream up.

So thanks, all of you, for being here and inspiring me. It looks like I'll be hanging around here a lot more, reading your words of wisdom.