Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-16-2012, 08:22 PM   #1

1985 32.5' Airstream 325
Victoria , British Columbia
1985 Motorhome

Has anyone had to replace the switch that activates the stairs? If so is there a replacement part #, odd part as it's a positive ground switch. Thanks
Brian Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:36 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Mac View Post
Has anyone had to replace the switch that activates the stairs? If so is there a replacement part #, odd part as it's a positive ground switch. Thanks
Well Hello Brian, and welcome!!!!
First post buddy..

Mine was not working...
Not saying that this will work for you... but it worked for me..
Sprayed some WD40 into the switch with it depressed, and cycled it a lot... and now its working!
Try that for a start!
Keyair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:57 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Not sure which step set up you have but I am in the middle of this right now. I have the vacuum operated step on my 280. The switch failed and I ordered a new switch through Inland RV. It was a factory special order so I told them to take their time and they ordered it on their next stock order. I received the switch and it looked identical to the original except that the original contacts were normally open and closed when the button was depressed. The new switch was the opposite. I called Inland who ask me to call the factory who had another conversation with Inland. Since then Inland ask me to send back the incorrect switch and that they are getting the correct switch from Airstream.

I'm surprised that they used switches that looked identical but functioned differently to operate the steps. The switch cost $21.65 just make sure you know how your switch works so you get the correct one.

Cheers, Dan
Smartstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:40 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Having removed a tree stump with my steps, and trying the erroneous maneuver to correct this error by repeating it in reverse mode, I had to grind down the super rivets, replace them with lock nuts, and finally replace the solenoids located behind the steps. the automatic switch button, spring loaded, on the hinge side of the inner door frame had been removed by the PO, but the folks at Oasis RV in Tucson, AZ replaced it. I have since tried to reconfigure the steps with a deep driveway, and did the grind off and sledge hammer 're-tooling' of the slat bars. My only other problem is an undetermined(as yet) power leak that causes the steps to drop, then 'recycle' power until the battery gives out. Simply, the switch is a spring-loaded on-off, and a bit of timely rivet application should be able to modify any 12 V spring switchThe cut off switches for house and chassis batteries should be located just in the front of the door, They have a circuit board that can go awry mounted behind the wall, but not terribly inaccessible, and the proximity to the spring-switch makes me think they may be related in wiring. I realize that you a a few miles from AZ, and Andy has been THE source...finding someone willing to do quality work on an AS moho has become a challenge...I was a body mechanic in my employed life(ER nurse), and I never got the chance to approach a client with a wrench or hammer, so it has been a continuing education to figure out these American-made beauties...I would like to have a few score in storage, but I can barely keep the one in a yard...Bill Gates...if yer out there with some spare cash and a chance at more, please call me or email your chuckles...m
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote