Old 10-22-2012, 04:11 PM   #1009
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Well, at the weekend I did a mod on the Marker lamps to make them center pin + for the little LED's I was planning to use...

Pulled off the silver strap, cut it off, so it no longer goes under the screws, and drilled it take a bolt that I can attach a wire to.

Modded one is upper in pic.

I cannot use this mod on the 3 skin mounted markers on the rear, so will put a BA9 bulb adapter and a small 6 or 9 LED panel in them kinda like this where I can just flip the pins to get the polarity I want.

Old 10-22-2012, 04:22 PM   #1010
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
I need to get the front cap cleaned up/polished and then reseal the joints and windows before we get too much rain.

As mentioned over on the polishing thread, I have been trying some home made polish...
Black Bar melted in Odourless Mineral Spirits.

First tried it on an old oxidized alloy wheel, with a drill and small mop.

Before and after close-up.

Pleased with the results, I thought I would try a piece of the motorhome..
The storage drawer lid, that I had stripped..

Did half of it..

Old 10-22-2012, 05:02 PM   #1011
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Forgot to post this little update before...

I wanted to replace the incandecents in the interior lights before they melt any more of the fixture lenses.. Oh, and can anyone tell me where to get replacements??

Anyway, a long while back I bought these LED's to try...
Its a 1156 Base adapter with this G4 style small round warm white LED panel..

I tried them, but was not super happy with the light output... and also the light fittings indexing is not consistant...

So I had a brainstorm...
Could I wiggle two of the panels in each slot...
Yes!

Light output is still dimmer, but better than burning a hole in the diffuser..
Old 10-25-2012, 11:33 AM   #1012
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Last night I decided to build a test adaptor for the passenger side mirror.

Here is the paper template I used...
Moved the mirror down and forward, as I think I made a mistake on the drivers side... if this works I will remake it.

18g Steel bases...

Holes drilled and bases tacked.
I dicided to try this one 1" thicker(2 1/2" thick at top as apposed to 1 1/2" on drivers side)to see if it makes a difference seeing around the Awning leg...

Old 10-26-2012, 05:49 PM   #1013
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Well, it works good, but I will be remaking the drivers side now..

Bolted on the adaptor...

Then the Mirror..

The additional 1" offset creates a better view down the bodyside without the awning leg blocking the line of sight.

Approx drivers view...

Zoomed drivers view.

But I spotted something that bugs me...
Notice in the zoomed view that the mirror glasses are oddly positioned reletive to the body housing... like the upper is twisted to the left, and the wide angle is twisted to the right...
I spent some time trying to figure this out, and finally I got it!

This is caused by the mirror being mounted on the bodyside as it tapers in...
Now here is where you can see the curve affecting the mounting... at the mirror mounting point the bodyside is almost 3" inboard, and curving faster every inch.

I think I might remake both side with the forward edge 3/4" thicker to bring it back square..
Old 10-26-2012, 10:30 PM   #1014
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Steve,
I'll get a photo of where my location is for my 'stock' mirrors on my '89. No matter, your projects get more and more fascinating! Long live the poor and imaginative!
Derek
Old 10-28-2012, 08:14 AM   #1015
Airstream Driver

1997 30' Excella
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyair View Post
Well, it works good, but I will be remaking the drivers side now..

I think I might remake both side with the forward edge 3/4" thicker to bring it back square..
Angles look very similar to the stock on my 87, except the mirrors are recessed more than yours, making it less apparent.
AIR #13
PeterH-Airstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:49 PM   #1016
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Learned something new today. The factory Argosy mirror mounting location is farther forward than the 310 mount location. I need to remove the Argosy mirror mount so I can bolt one of the new mounts temporary in place to see how that location is going to work.

Click image for larger version

Name:	argosy-mirror-location.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	244.6 KB
ID:	171571Click image for larger version

Name:	310-mirror-location.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	258.4 KB
ID:	171572

I'm hoping the forward location will work out better. I'm not sure it is worth the effort to try and make an adapter plate that accounts for the upward slope of the shell AND the forward curving angle of the shell. I'll wait and see how my test works out and then make a decision.

Brad
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:10 PM   #1017
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Yeah.. Derek,
"Mater artium necessitas"

Thanks for the Input Peter, always appreciate it!

That's fun stuff eh Brad?
Who'd a thought that!

At 6' 4" my seat position is a few inches further back.
Maybe I am being too picky about moving that front edge out... ..
For the record... If I roll my eyes, its ALWAYS at myself.
Even offsetting the passenger side out by that extra inch is maybe just me being me...
Old 10-28-2012, 07:29 PM   #1018
2 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Brighton , sussex
Try a full tank on my 310 @ 280 this week.
Didnt last all that long!
Old 10-30-2012, 07:40 PM   #1019
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyair View Post
At 6' 4" my seat position is a few inches further back.
Maybe I am being too picky about moving that front edge out... ..
For the record... If I roll my eyes, its ALWAYS at myself.
Even offsetting the passenger side out by that extra inch is maybe just me being me...
My Argosy has the front bath which means the back of the driver seat is literally right up against the wall of the bathroom. I really haven't sat in it much at all (no engine and I'm not good at making vroom vroom sounds!) so I don't know how the seat/mirror placement is going to work out. I'll have to check the seat and mirror out this weekend, assuming the weather holds. We might get remnants of Sandy so it's hard to say at this point what I'll get done.

Brad
Old 10-31-2012, 03:21 PM   #1020
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Try a full tank on my 310 @ 280 this week.
Didnt last all that long!
I feel your pain there in the UK...

At least you get to bask in the weather tho....

Ok Brad, I guess you can be very sure of your mirror position suiting all sizes!

I brought my old mirror home with me if you need sizes...

So, a small update..
In my push to get the MH water tight for "winter", I was up on the roof.
The plan is to paint the center roof panels with white roofing paint to seal all the rivet holes and reflect the heat, but found plenty of work to do before I get to that...

The rear Fantastic-Fan lift mechanism is broken... the arm pivot broke or fell out, so now the lid cannot be raised or lowered by the handwheel inside. Need to get this fixed as it is possible that it could flip up in a wind.
I posted on the vent section and got some answers, so looks like I will need a new part.
Offending part..

Both vents need resealing, as the old sealant is cracked and split.

Spent some time trying to hack off the old sealant around the old broken/missing antenna assembly..
Yuk.

I have a new Winegard Sensar IV to put on, so will need to make some choices when I lay the template on the roof and see what the new setup will cover and what it will not. It looks like there is a patch or something already..

Had not spent so much time tripping the light fantastic up there, so spent time looking... plenty of dents in the front cap... what were the PO's doing!
Hoping to get cracking on the last bits of polishing and start sealing soon.

But of course, as soon as I plan something, I get stalled..
The genset would not start... it ran great last week...
Fuel pump is not drawing consistantly, so pulled that off for some bench tests...
Old 10-31-2012, 04:03 PM   #1021
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
'89 mirror location

Finally, I remember to take a photo of this before it too dark to do it. By taking these photos, I realize that I'm mssing some sort of trim part on passenger side. As well, passenger side is missing a screw! Something else to add to my 'buy' list.
Steve, as far as your Fantastic Fans, check with the company, I'm pretty certain their replacement policy would take care of your broken parts, at least I hope so, as mine has quit working all-together!
Good Luck, Derek
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	266.9 KB
ID:	171761   Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	268.2 KB
ID:	171762  

Old 10-31-2012, 06:17 PM   #1022
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazeevw View Post
Finally, I remember to take a photo of this before it too dark to do it.
Well, that's the third type of mirror mounting system that I've seen on Classic/Argosy motorhomes. The 86 345 that I dismantled had mounts that were upside down triangular shapes that had studs sticking through the skin and nuts on the inside of the wall. I'd have so I would prefer either of the other two styles if I had to make a choice between one of the three.

One thing I found rather interesting this evening was the configuration of the mounts for the Argosy (and I assume Classics that have this style of mount) is they are handed, road side and curb side. I had to hold them up to each other back to back to realize the back side is curved to match the contour of the shell.

Name:	74-argosy-mirror-mounts.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	323.1 KB
ID:	171771

Steve, we were discussing earlier the placement of the drivers seat and how it might impact the mirror location on the outside. If you check out the pictures below you'll see why I'm glad the mirror mount on the Argosy is 3" or more farther forward compared to the Classics. Since I can't slide the seat any farther back if the mirror had been in same location as on our 310 I would have to really turn my head to the side to actually see the mirror. My real concern now is the location of the passenger mirror and how well I will be able to see it from the driver seat. I'll temporarily mount the passenger mirror tomorrow and see what it is like.

Name:	74-argosy-drivers-seat-placement.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	293.8 KB
ID:	171772Click image for larger version

Name:	74-argosy-drivers-mirror-test.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	403.5 KB
ID:	171775

The Velvac mirrors that I have for the Argosy are the 2025 bases with turn signal indicator and the VMax heads with remote control of the flat mirror and they are heated. The mount in the picture has the turn signal removed so I can access the wiring connector. The VMax mirror definitely gives a lot of viewing area as it is 4" taller than the standard mirrors. Based on the angle I have the bases mounted at the moment I'm not sure that a 1/2" space at the top wouldn't be too much. Right now I think I have about 1/4" difference between top and bottom. What makes it so hard to determine that is the passenger side is jacked up somewhat and the left front tire is low on air.

Name:	74-argosy-drivers-mirror-test-1.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	415.0 KB
ID:	171773Click image for larger version

Name:	74-argosy-drivers-mirror-test-2.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	675.0 KB
ID:	171774

The mirrors that will be installed on the 310 are the Velvac Revolution series which have a pivot mechanism which lets you swing the mirror forward or backward for best placement. I almost wish I could use these on the Argosy but they are slated for the 310

I may have to revisit that decision

Name:	velvac-revolution.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	171777