Old 11-15-2011, 11:14 AM   #631
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Thanks!
Getting there slowly.
I guess I will have to make a padded board and get up there on the roof to get it finished close to the seam of the roof... just bcant reach it quite!

My equipment for today is packed, the dogs are fed and watered...
I am ready for a day of action!

Don't you just love the smell of burnished Aluminum and Nuvite in the morning?

Gooooooood Morning Airstream!

Old 11-16-2011, 08:16 PM   #632
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Two days of pretty hard slog, and a few pictures....

Pushing on getting the whole rear section polished and then sealed.

AIRSTREAM Letters...
They had to come off, so drilled out the rivets...

Anagram game anyone?

Stripped off the marker lights.. but the kerbside unit will not move... I will maybe have to drill the screws out.

And of course, the Rear camera bolts woudl not shift and sheared off...
More stuff to fix...

Finally got my ladder figured out and can reach the last section...
Ugly!

Nuvite G6 to the Rescue!

Then some Nuvite A...

Rear end is pretty much there now..

Old 11-17-2011, 10:20 PM   #633
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Gittin' Er Done!
Pretty much done with the rear cap polish.
Resealed the upper seams, rear window frame, and a bunch of other stuff...And those who have done this know its tricky and time consuming to get a neat, small, but effective bead layed down!

Absolutely NO luck pulling the soft dent out of the streetside lower rear panel... cant get the glue to stick to it!

Drilled out the broken bolts from the Rear View Camera, retapped the holes, and found new SS bolts.
Am in process of building a prettier shield/shade for it...... Before it was an ugly white box, and eyesore..
Put 2 of 5 rear marker lamps back and sealed them... The kerbside middle lamp wire has fallen down inside the skin.. I need a probe or hook to get it... I hope!
I finally managed to get the Kerbside marker lamp and casting off... it was tricky!
Too little pressure on the screw, and it slipped... to much and it started to push and dent the skin!
The streetside outer marker lamp skin need some more work, as it is dented... and the kerbside needs polishing.. so holding off mounting them for now.

Moved forward...
Stripped the pass side front side window frame and skin, and polished the whole thing from 2' above the window to wheelarch... Need to reseal the upper frame and put the window seals back in next!

Again, it was too dark to get some pics when I stopped!
Old 11-19-2011, 08:20 PM   #634
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Crummy pic of lower streetside polish...
Too dark to see it well..

Stripped the paint off the kerbside front feature, and window frame..
Needed to get the frame stripped, polished and resealed before I put the window seals in...

Good news is EVERYONE driving past in the storage the last few days is stopping and telling me how great it is looking!
That include at least 3 Motorhomes that must have been $500k!

Ok, so here is my effort at making the Camera look better...

The camera is a Voyager, so a good make methinks... just looks odd on the back of the curvy rear...

Took it off...

Took a piece of 6061 T6, and beat/bent/formed it over whatever I had to hand..
Took it to the Airstream and tried to cut/match the rear skin curvature..

This is what I ended up with...
Basic look...

Curved the front edge, and tried to get it how I imagined it..
Blocked/sanded it out.. and got it on the buffer...
Painted the Camera body Silver...

Put the Camera back on and tried the cover in place...
4/5 of the new rear marker lamps now mounted/sealed, and working!!
Cmera cover not quite correctly positioned, but I think you will get the idea...
(Still working on the seams, lights, and badge holes, so skin still a lttle unfinished/streaky and sealant beads need cleaning up...)

Opinions?

I like the basic look, but might make another with deeper wings to cover more of the camera bracket, and now I have the camera angle dialed, match the rear to teh Airstream skin better.
i am concerned that teh lamp might glare onto the Camera lens too... we will see!
Old 11-20-2011, 12:07 AM   #635
Rivet Master

1936 20' Clipper
1947 22' Liner
Curtis Wright
1989 37' Airstream 370
marshfield , Massachusetts
Key,

I can see it shining all the way from the East Coast. Looking good!! I don't know if I've ever seen the frame and vertical divider polished on the front side windows, but I really like it. That is a very cool look.

I like what you're doing with the shroud on the rear camera, and I agree that you might want to try to conceal more of the mounting bracket (maybe the power cable and grommet as well??). You've got a lot of things going on in a small space up there. I was also wondering about the possibility of glare affecting the camera. It seems as though there could be as much glare reflected down from the shield, as emitted directly up from the light. Any way to test it before proceeding? Do you have enough slack in the cable to move the camera further up the roof, and then extend a longer shroud down to the grommet, and conceal the cable feed along the edge?
The simplest problems often involve the most complex solutions, and vice versa.

Charly.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:38 AM   #636
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Thanks Charly!

As I have written before.. despite my ADD kinda jumping around on jobs...there is a method behind the madness!

Aside from the fact the clearcoat is history and the bodywork looks so much better... the polishing is born out of a need to seal the seams and joints..
Need to strip what is left of the clearcoat, remove the cracked and pealing sealant... then clean and polish.
THEN, I can get a bead of sealant down on the bedroom end bodywork joints, windows, holes, lights, and compartment frames..

No point in replacing the floor sections in the bedroom if there is still water leaking down from somewhere above! Wherever its coming from, its running down the inner skin, and dropping on the floor in the rear corner, and in the kerbside wardrobe.
Having been up on the roof, and seen the gaps in the skin overlaps, and no sealant visble, I am not surprised it was leaking!

Once I am sure its watertight, then I will replace the floor sections.
THEN, I can replace all of the Water Tank/Pipes, and Electrical systems under the bed.
THEN, I can run the Genset, and AC, and have power and water!

I am using my 3.5KW portable Generator from the back of my Pickup Truck for now to feed the Airstream Electrical System, charge the batteries, and supply power for buffers stc..

THEN, I will be able to replace the horrible Carpet, and work inside in Air Conditioned comfort!

The front window frames had about 4 layers of paint on... and looked crummy, so that had to go... Polishing them seemed the simple way to go!

I want to get the frames stripped and polished, and sealed before I put the Schlegle and rubber seals in...
I dont think the 3500rpm buffing wheels and cutting paste will be kind to them!

The Camera shield is a visual improvement... but as you say Charly, it can be better!
If I remake it with the ends pulled down further, the Camera wire/grommet is still too far outboard to be covered by that simple mod... I will have to get some pieces of carboard and make a prototype!
There is enough cable to move the camera if I need to.
Looking at it yesterday, I was thinking to take shield I already made, and repurpose it UNDER the camera with a few mods, it would shield the glare from the lamp, and hide the bracket better...

Mmmm... more thinking to do!

My Parents arrive from England Monday for Thankgiving, and Christmas, so my time will be more limited.
Knowing this, I had a big push on to get it all sealed as I know we are gonna get rain soon.. I have put down paper towls inside to act as tell tales.. It will be interesting to see how successful my resealing has been!
Old 11-20-2011, 11:38 AM   #637
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
boulder , Colorado
Backup Camera

I like you camera shield. I'm thinking about replacing mine and the shield looks nice. I've got a black and white Sony (1995) that's smaller than the old ones that look like they sould have the NBC peacock painted on the side but bigger than the new ones. It oftens gets blinded by the sun at just the wrong time and is next to useless in low light. Are you happy with yours. I believe mine has 12 volts and a coax running to it. Is that compatible with the newer ones.

Remember what we said about too much polishing!

Dave...
Old 11-20-2011, 12:18 PM   #638
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Looks good, ditto on sun shading needed, looks like you have led's to light the night view, does it have close and distant position, I use my close to see hitch and tight parking, long view is about like a magnified rearview mirror with it being very hard to do exact sighting.
Old 11-20-2011, 12:22 PM   #639
Full Timers/Diesel power.

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Remember what we said about too much polishing!
I wax, don't polish, no hair on my palms.
Old 11-20-2011, 02:46 PM   #640
3 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Milton , Florida
Has anyone had experience with the cordless cameras. They seem too easy, and the screen may be too far away on a 345 to get the signal.

Audiovox makes one that will fit on your license plate, although I wouldn't put it there.

However, I do like that sun shade, good idea, as usual.
Old 11-20-2011, 02:53 PM   #641
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
I have seen them, and maybe they work well, but with the Airstream it could be a whole different matter...
Anyone ever noticed that your cellphone does not show as many Bars, or not work at all inside the Airstream?
I have, so when i am working on mine I leave it outside...

Mine worked fine on the trip home, tho its only Black/white.
It has a Day/Night button on the CRT Monitor on the dash, and seem to work well enough in the storage to see people walking past

Raining here now....
Oh what fun.. my girlfriend pointed out that the guest bathroom toilet was loose, and rocking..
I tried to tighten it, but the bolt was loose... off came the toilet...
The toilet flange was rusted to dust... the rocking had compropmised the wax seal, and a 6" section of the floorboards is mould and dust...
Guess it not just Airstreams!

Good news it that the floor is 3/4", and I have half a sheet still in the Airstream I can use!
Also gives me an excuse to go over and check for leaks!
Old 11-20-2011, 07:22 PM   #642
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Report on leaks...
Bedroom streetside corner was dry.... so far...
Kerbside Wardrobe floor was wet... still have a leak.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:01 AM   #643
3 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Milton , Florida
It looks like cordless camera experimentation is called for...guess I'll order one and check it out. Hello Amazon.com...Film at Eleven.

If I wasn't a retired AT&T Labs type, I might agree with your cell phone observation, but I have my pension to think of...LOL.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:21 PM   #644
Athens GA

1995 28' Excella
1989 34' Excella
1986 31' Sovereign
1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Athens , Georgia
Ok going to Fort wilderness Walt Disney world this Wednesday. Do I drive my 2011Ford F250 super duty pulling my 89 34' AS or my 1987 Moho? I really not sure. Help! :-)