Old 10-10-2011, 10:33 PM   #491
Rivet Master

1936 20' Clipper
1947 22' Liner
Curtis Wright
1989 37' Airstream 370
marshfield , Massachusetts
Hi Key,

I can see that you've got the fever for sure. It is like a drug. The more you polish, the more you want to polish. Looks fantastic!! Be aware that the thin black plastic belt-line strip molding is NO LONGER AVAILABLE, so use caution when you're polishing around it. If you plan on polishing the aluminum molding that contains it, you might want to slip out the plastic for safe keeping.
Just when I thought I was done with the polishing on my coach, your recent display of polished drawer fronts inspired me to strip the black paint that covered my drawers, and everything below the rub rail. What an improvement. The total shape of the body is much more apparent now that everything is shiny. The whole coach appears to sit a bit lower as well.
I am a bit bugged by the look of the vertical line of separation where the aluminum rocker panels meet the rear banana wrap. I'm thinking of adding a bit of aluminum sheet to carry the shiny look up, over, and around the rear bumper trim. I'll post some pics of my silver duct tape mock-ups so you can see what I mean.

Charly.

Old 10-11-2011, 06:57 AM   #492
3 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Milton , Florida
I looks great. The first 345 I looked at South Florida was polished and gave me the bug. I was told that once you polish you can not clear coat, because the it does not stick to a polished surface. Does this mean that polishing becomes a yearly ritual?

Old 10-11-2011, 09:11 AM   #493
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Yesterday, I was cutting and placing pipework for the water tank and bedroom replumb, and had enough, so decided to do some "Feelgood stuff".

I need to clean and buff all of my window and seam joints, so I can run a bead of sealant around before the next rain... lets get this thing watertight!

Charly, my plastic strip is long gone, so I dont have to worry about it!
In fact, I spoke to a friend of mine about it, and he says he has some stuff that will work as a replacement.
Planning to paint the banana wraps etc in a very light bright silver metalic..

There is about 4 layers of paint on that mid body strip, and its a combo of acrilic, and other paints, and its just a bear to get off... PITA!

Controlling the 8" Buffer on the edges of the windows is hard work, so I need to get some 4" pads for my angle grinder for those.
That section I posted took me about 2 hours... and I am stiff in all the wrong places this morning!

My clearcoat was so bady decomposed, in some areas i had not stripped, it just buffed off!
Not sure what the timeframe is Navy, but I had no choice... here in CA, and as inland as I live, I bet it will be a few years.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:25 AM   #494
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Talking of water ingress...
Here is the HUGE gap that water was running over on my rearmost kerbside compartment... its is right where the water gushes down from the awning rail, and was about 3/16 wide..

I tapped it flatter with a bodywork hammer...

And another in the rear corner, before and after..

And here is a pic of that D seal I used on the drawer compartment.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:32 AM   #495
Full Timers/Diesel power.

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
Hmm, not sure that weather seal is going to work, let us know. I use Parbond religiously on all my seams. Being full time, it's amazing how the coach racks and the seams open up again. MEK or acetone is a good prep before applying the Parbond.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:40 AM   #496
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
That is the weather strip I used on the pull out drawers Mike, I could not find the details, as I left the package at the Airstream last week!
Old 10-11-2011, 09:57 AM   #497

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
Get that bad boy on the road, we want to see you in Ajo come December!
Old 10-11-2011, 10:22 AM   #498
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Mike,
WHERE in Ajo do you land...? We stop there a couple of times a year...mike
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 11:50 AM   #499
Rivet Master

1936 20' Clipper
1947 22' Liner
Curtis Wright
1989 37' Airstream 370
marshfield , Massachusetts
Key,

When I was stripping the black paint off my rockers, it was the primer beneath it that was a real bear to remove. Multiple coats of Jasco were having little effect. It was lacquer thinner that really did the trick. Maybe it'll work for you.

Charly
Old 10-11-2011, 01:56 PM   #500

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapIrony-2 View Post
Mike,
WHERE in Ajo do you land...? We stop there a couple of times a year...mike
We land at "Shadow Ridge R.V. Park". Usually get down there around the 15th of November and stay until both roof airs don't get it (mid April). Send a PM when you think you're heading that way and we'll pull some strings for you. Perhaps a good spot for a group mo/ho meeting? I'd be glad to pull it together.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:20 PM   #501
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Mike, didn't you post how to 're-wire' rear A/C so you could run both A/C's at the same time? Think I've lost all of my saved links since I had to reformat my hard drive. I'm going looking now, but if you've got the directions and the post saved, sure would love to read and print your directions.
Thanks, Derek
Old 10-11-2011, 07:21 PM   #502
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by navyspook View Post
I looks great. The first 345 I looked at South Florida was polished and gave me the bug. I was told that once you polish you can not clear coat, because the it does not stick to a polished surface. Does this mean that polishing becomes a yearly ritual?
Navy, did you look at the one on East Coast of Florida? One with the Mercedes emblem on the grill? How was it? I've instilled some aluminum fever here on the west coast of Florida, and that one is the only one that I know of, besides the one in Albany, GA.
Thanks, Derek
Old 10-11-2011, 07:27 PM   #503

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazeevw View Post
Mike, didn't you post how to 're-wire' rear A/C so you could run both A/C's at the same time? Think I've lost all of my saved links since I had to reformat my hard drive. I'm going looking now, but if you've got the directions and the post saved, sure would love to read and print your directions.
Thanks, Derek
I was going to post a new thread because my lovely wife wiped my bookmarks and I've lost that valuable info, also. Help, forum members!
Old 10-11-2011, 08:05 PM   #504
3 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Milton , Florida
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazeevw View Post
Navy, did you look at the one on East Coast of Florida? One with the Mercedes emblem on the grill? How was it? I've instilled some aluminum fever here on the west coast of Florida, and that one is the only one that I know of, besides the one in Albany, GA.
Thanks, Derek
Derek,
Yep, that was the one. It had some very nice work done, but was still a project. The rear bedroom was just one big king sized bed. He had put in a Honda 3K Gen set in, you really need 6K to run both AC's. He did a lot of work on the engine, but small stuff, like steps, w/s washers, etc, not working. Polished outside was nice tho...long drive for me and a good lesson.
Bill