Old 10-10-2011, 05:52 AM   #477
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
I still have no ABS lid in place, but that was fine, and allowed me to test this little D seal $4 mod.... and thats for enough seal to do both drawers 4 times over!
It did a great job...

Before I did this, you can see where the water ran down the bodyside, and is drawn into the gap... and pools on the top of the drawer lid.
It was wet, but you can see where it dried.
After, no water got in at all!

Make sure you drop the ends of the seal to allow the water to run off..
[/QUOTE]
Steve,
Really liking the 'D' seal, where did you find it? Think I'm going to head to West Marine today, seems like every time I google something, they are listed as a supplier. Being on the 'West Coast' (Florida) we have all of the boat supply houses you could want. Guess those guys are all about LED's now too. Love to get new clearance lights and back-up LED lights for the Airstream.
Thanks, Derek

Old 10-10-2011, 07:31 AM   #478
3 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Milton , Florida
Steve,
You may not view yourself as an expert, but you're about 18 months ahead of me on the newbie learning curve and what you've found the hard way has allowed me the easy way. Didn't mean to hi-jack the thread, but everything your unit has needed, mine has also.

Derek,
You're right, West Marine has become my second stop after the RV shop, altho I can usually find it cheaper on the web, once I find it there. Led's are the way to go and the boat suppliers seem to push weather proof more than RV guys (no surprise).
Bill

Old 10-10-2011, 07:50 AM   #479
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Weather seal strip was from Home Depot...
Looked at the website, and could not find the same, but here is one very similar... It is "D" or "P" Shaped, and grey... the strip tears down the middle making a single seal... I am sure mine was about $4 for the roll... Will look at the bag or reciept... left it in the AS.
3/8 in. x 17 ft. All-Climate P-strip Weather Stripping-02576 at The Home Depot

What I have learned, others before me have also....
When you start digging into the Forum here, you will find the same names popping up... Robfike, Bkahler, Kempro, AlanSD, to name just a few.
They have blazed the trail that I am just widening, and in 18 months, you guys will be doing the same for the next set of new owners coming onboard.

If you look back at the first page of my thread, its clear how green I was!
Old 10-10-2011, 07:51 AM   #480
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
I still have no ABS lid in place, but that was fine, and allowed me to test this little D seal $4 mod.... and thats for enough seal to do both drawers 4 times over!
It did a great job...

Before I did this, you can see where the water ran down the bodyside, and is drawn into the gap... and pools on the top of the drawer lid.
It was wet, but you can see where it dried.
After, no water got in at all!

Make sure you drop the ends of the seal to allow the water to run off..
[/QUOTE]

You may want to think about running that D seal down the front edge and maybe the back also. It may work fine sitting in the storage lot but on the highway in a good rain water travels in directions other than down. Just a thought.

Cheers, Dan
Old 10-10-2011, 07:57 AM   #481
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Oh, and I figured out what I will use to repair my floor!

23/32" Flooring grade OSB from Home Depot @$13/sheet, is what I will be using. 23/32 is very, very close to 3/4", and the spec says its made with waterproofed resin glue. Info says its probably better than what Airstream used originally... and that lasted 25 years of leaks...
Old 10-10-2011, 08:24 AM   #482
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Absolutely Dan.

The rain we had last week was an eye opener for me, as I stood in the downpour, watching the water cascade down the bodyside.
I suggest you all do it too... its educational!

Here is what I learned...
The AS is unique having no real guttering, aside from the Awning rail on the Curbside, which I will come to later....

The full roof skin surface area and bodyside, grabs the water, and it clings, and sheets down the bodyside.
You see the water running down, and being sucked into the gap where the drawer meets the bodyside by gravity and capillary action.
The Curbside awning rail, just concentrates all the water into 2 areas, and its shocking!
At the front, the rail is just rearward of the front navigator window... I wondered why that side was wetter!
The water gushes off the rail, hits the Awning leg upper mounting, and blasts down, spilling over the window frame, and right down the sliding glass... The Torent is unrelenting... Overwhealming the seals, and filling the channel, which overflows inside the AS, wetting the carpet and floor.
On the rear, it does the same, but runs right onto the rear storage door frame joint filling my rear storage with a lake!

This is just when the Motorhome is standing!
Driving brings a whole other dynamic, that I will deal with next.

I have the ABS storage lid pretty much done, and will be remounting it this week I think, with a modded sealing system and different screws.
You CANNOT use Countersunk screws on this... it splits and cracks the ABS, and just allows the water in!
I will be using Pan headed screws, with a washer and sealant under each one... this will seal the screwhole doubletime, and stop the screw from squashing the seal or splitting the ABS.

I know why and how they leak now!
Old 10-10-2011, 09:12 AM   #483
Full Timers/Diesel power.

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
I did find, after I repaired my roadside drawer, it still took some water. Sealing the awning rail with Vulkem helped a lot, but not totally.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:52 AM   #484
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
See my post 315 in this thread on page 23...

This is how the water gets into the drawers...
Runs down the bodyside, and gets drawn into the gap...
Runs down the inside wall of the drawer, onto the top, and onto the sealant bead, which is overfilled from the factory, and instead of running along the gutter, and flowing off the front and back of the drawer, it runs onto the top of the drawer.
The ABS top has Cracks, and bad screw holes.. with cracks, and poor sealant, and seals... so down into the drawer it goes!

Since, I would guess most of the water gets into the drawers while the AS is stationary, I think that little D seal will work pretty good, and what gets past and water thrown up whilst driving should be handled by the lid, and seals...

I hate the idea of traveling with wet Drawers...
Old 10-10-2011, 10:56 AM   #485
Full Timers/Diesel power.

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
Let us know, all I know is I'm getting a tad of water on the right side rear at the hinge, and I've sealed the hell out of it!
Old 10-10-2011, 11:04 AM   #486
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
The lid hinge?
Old 10-10-2011, 06:11 PM   #487
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Well...
Its was warm today....
I was feeling a little "Buff"...
I stripped the Streetside a few weeks back... I am sure there was no clearcoat left!
Anyway, I went for it!
No Cyclo, just a compounder and G6 Nuvite, still plenty of swirls... but no more dull grey!

Old 10-10-2011, 06:19 PM   #488
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Wow...
Once you start.... You cant stop!

Old 10-10-2011, 07:45 PM   #489
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Steve, looks fantastic! Have you decided whether you're going to keep the paint on the lower portion? Seeing that you've stripped it off when you've pulled the drawers, maybe I just answered my own question???
Inspiring me to get out and try a few hours on mine after work this week!
Thanks, Derek
Old 10-10-2011, 08:26 PM   #490
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Still in awe, that this shine is under the crap!
Ya just gotta love it!

yes, Derek, planning to polish her right down to her boots!