Old 09-11-2011, 06:54 PM   #393

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Your perfect AS leaks? I hope it doesn't leak in the living room!

blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 07:07 PM   #394
Rivet Master

1936 20' Clipper
1947 22' Liner
Curtis Wright
1989 37' Airstream 370
marshfield , Massachusetts
My guess is that the heavy rubber gasket that surrounds the windshield might be the source of one of your leaks. Has the windshield been replaced recently?
Try masking around it with tape, and then prying it away from the body with a plastic knife or something that won't scratch the aluminum. Separate it just enough to allow you to squeeze some sealant in behind. You might be able to do this all in one step with the tip of the caulking tube, or it could be a two man job with one following the other. The tape (use lots of it) will help contain the excess of sealant that will be pushed out after the gasket is released. I had a friend who was taking on water by the bucket, and this solved his problem completely. Good luck, and welcome aboard!

Charly.

Old 09-11-2011, 07:54 PM   #395
3 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Milton , Florida
Thanks, I'll give that a try on the windshield. I don't think the glass has been replaced, but not sure. I think it's just a dry cracked gasket. I has lots of RTV spread along the top of the windshield. I hear that the original glass gets brittle and will probably break if I have the gasket replaced, sooo I'll have to weigh the options.

I applied aluminum waterproofing tape above the leaking rear window...not permanent fix, but it should narrow the possibilities. If it stops, I know where it leaks and I can peel the tape off.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:29 PM   #396
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
My Windhield leaks too, and seems to been resealed poorly.
Whilst I have not fully understood why yet, it does seems that RTV on Aluminum is a huge NO-NO.
Maybe it would be fine between the glass and seal?
Streamquest's advice is good, and I too have done that one on an old car, and it worked.
Its in my plan of attack, when I get up into the roof strip and polish.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:49 AM   #397
Athens GA

1995 28' Excella
1989 34' Excella
1986 31' Sovereign
1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Athens , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by blmitch5
Your perfect AS leaks? I hope it doesn't leak in the living room!
Oh! I am sorry, but aren't you a trailer owner? You must have just got a Moho. What Moho did you get? Haha these are Moho's we are talking about over here. You know some day your swanky new 19' Bambi will leak too. Haha they all eventually do... oh! and BL don't worry it's not leaking in the living room. Y'all will be just fine up there for the trip in it to Key West.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:04 AM   #398
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyair View Post
My Windhield leaks too, and seems to been resealed poorly.
Whilst I have not fully understood why yet, it does seems that RTV on Aluminum is a huge NO-NO.
Maybe it would be fine between the glass and seal?
Auto parts store sells extra thin winshield leak stop for between glass and gasket, runs like water, any drips on glass are hard to see until it rains.
I had a leak showing up as a drip at the rear view mirror, only showed up after driving in rain, problem is 4 possible sources, windshield to glass, gasket to body, marker lights or roof. Found age cracks in roof to front panel and marker lights, sealed with 5200 sealant, used leak stop for glass and ride gasket away from body and injected rtv caulk. Haven't had leak since.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:19 AM   #399
Athens GA

1995 28' Excella
1989 34' Excella
1986 31' Sovereign
1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Athens , Georgia
Thanks. Sounds great. I did seal up seams and marker lights already. Just wasnt sire about gasket stuff. Now I know.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:27 AM   #400
Full Timers/Diesel power.

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
I had both windshields replaced a few years ago and they did a crummy job with the seals, I'm sure spending the winter in the desert has not helped, either. I take a very small amount of water in heavy rain at speed. What I'm going to try is clean the area between the gasket and the glass and use a Permatex clear auto glass sealer. I'm not very interested in replacing the seals.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:43 AM   #401
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
When I lived in England.... I only owned English cars... And "sometimes" it rained...
I became pretty good at tracking down leaks... and one of my favorite tools was stuff called Comma Seak and Seal.. It was a water thin sealant probably like the stuff you are talking about Dave.
It had a long flexible nozzle... you stuffed it under rubber seals and squeezed the liquid out, and it was drawn in by capillary action and then it set, and so sealed the leaks.
My windshield glasses need replacing, as I have a crack that is drilled the drivers side, and both are starting to fog around the edges between the layers. I am planning to get the crack resin filled locally, and already spoke to the guy and sent him a pic, and he assures me he can make it much less visible, and stop it cracking further for about $100, so I am planning to do that for now. Longer term, I will replace both and the seals, and lock strip.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:04 PM   #402
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Quote:
When I lived in England.... I only owned English cars... And "sometimes" it rained...
I became pretty good at tracking down leaks... and one of my favorite tools was stuff called Comma Seak and Seal.. It was a water thin sealant probably like the stuff you are talking about Dave.
It had a long flexible nozzle... you stuffed it under rubber seals and squeezed the liquid out, and it was drawn in by capillary action and then it set, and so sealed the leaks.
My windshield glasses need replacing, as I have a crack that is drilled the drivers side, and both are starting to fog around the edges between the layers. I am planning to get the crack resin filled locally, and already spoke to the guy and sent him a pic, and he assures me he can make it much less visible, and stop it cracking further for about $100, so I am planning to do that for now. Longer term, I will replace both and the seals, and lock strip.
I recently had both windshields and the gasket replaced. I watched the guys do the entire job. I asked about the seal with the new gasket and lock strip. The explanation was they seal all windshields and gaskets with polyurethane, vulcum without the texture. Most newer car windshields are glued in with no gasket. They are a structural part of the body. If a windshield pops out during a wreck the installer is liable no mater how old the installation. He also said his insurer would not cover him unless he fully glued all his windshield installations. Many installers use WD-40 or something similar to help ease in the glass in the gasket. This is a big no no as it will compromise the adhesion of the glue "polyurethane." After the glass was in he raised the edge of the gasket, stuck the tip of the polyurethane cartridge in the gap and ran it all the way around the perimeter. He did the same thing between the gasket and the glass. The front of my coach is happily very dry and leak free. I hope you guys can get yours sealed as well.

Cheers, Dan
Old 09-13-2011, 06:08 AM   #403
Gunter

2000 35' Land Yacht XL w/2 slides
Greenville , Ohio
I have to replace both of mine due to starting to fog around the bottom of the windshields. Did a regular automotive glass shop do the work and where did they get the windshields from or did you have to take it to an airstream repair facility, also what kind of costs can I expect?
Old 09-13-2011, 07:55 AM   #404
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Any good auto glass shop can get the windshields wholesale and install them. I think the gaskets come from Airstream but I won't swear to that. You are probably looking at around $2000 depending on your negotiations with the installer and how much markup he wants. I know the insurance companies don't pay full tab. It's probably best to find a good shop and just talk to them.

Good luck, Dan
Old 09-13-2011, 08:12 AM   #405
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
I got a quote from Andy last year and this was the price...
Each windshield costs $839.00

The gasket costs $ 265.00

The lock for the gasket costs $ 58.50
Old 09-13-2011, 10:30 AM   #406
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Quote:
I got a quote from Andy last year and this was the price...
Each windshield costs $839.00

The gasket costs $ 265.00

The lock for the gasket costs $ 58.50
This is true but the glass shops buy them cheaper then Andy and don' get hit with the crating fee that Andy does. I think Andy said he paid $300 crating fee even if he picked it up as it is only a mile or two from his shop. There is a supplier in Oregon that I found a web site for but can't find now. My windshield was an insurance job and I gave the installer the quote from Andy and he said not even close.

Again good luck, Dan