Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-07-2011, 12:46 PM   #381
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
I found this part on Inland RV's site, but the Aluminum cap looks a little different... Is this ok?
http://www.inlandrv.com/catalog/imag...entpipecvr.jpg
Old 09-07-2011, 04:40 PM   #382
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Wha' happened to the front bumper? It looks cockeyed.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 04:57 PM   #383
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Its level, but tipped back... the bolts are loose.
I will fix it when I get into the front end issues.
The ABS spoiler pieces are cracked and broken, and I really want to build a chin spoiler to hide the Leveler legs, and was also thinking about adding a cooling intake on the sides with ducting to the front brakes.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:21 PM   #384
3 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Key West , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyair View Post
Its level, but tipped back... the bolts are loose.
I will fix it when I get into the front end issues.
The ABS spoiler pieces are cracked and broken, and I really want to build a chin spoiler to hide the Leveler legs, and was also thinking about adding a cooling intake on the sides with ducting to the front brakes.
Will you post some pics of your front leveler legs? My new motor requires me to move one of mine and i would like to see where yours were put by the factory.?
AirRowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 07:19 PM   #385
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Here you go!
These are the best pics I can find sitting here...

Old 09-07-2011, 07:48 PM   #386
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirRowan View Post
Will you post some pics of your front leveler legs? My new motor requires me to move one of mine and i would like to see where yours were put by the factory.?
Hi AirRowan, I'll try and get pix of my front levelers on here tomorrow (too dark out there now) I do believe mine are in a totally different place as well. Better to have a couple of options???
Thanks, Derek
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 06:59 AM   #387
3 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Key West , Florida
Thanks crazeevw AKA Derek I have problems with a exhaust pipe running by where the Leveler was. I may just move it back 2 feet or the other option is moving both to the front bumper. I did not think the front bumper was strong enough for such loads the way the frame thins out by more then 4"s. The steering idler arms are up there so I worry that it could affect the alignment etc. That being said Keyair's are up there and thy look factory so it must be fine.
AirRowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 01:01 PM   #388
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Found another, maybe more helpful pic for you AirRowan...
I personally don't like where the levelers are, on my 345... they stick out the front too much and are gonna be difficult to hide.
Not sure if this was/is factory, but there looks to be a 3x6 U section across the front of the chassis longditudinals, and then the jacks are mounted on 4x4 stubs welded to that...
You can also see the Bumper bolts that are loose, and where the bumper has rolled back on the upper a bit, causing the bumper to be crooked.
Hope this pic helps, and as my back is on the mend, i am up and about, all but a little stiff, so I can take some more pics or measurements if you need them..

Old 09-09-2011, 10:14 PM   #389
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Ok, so my back is still healing...
But wait, laying down is good for it right?
Mmm, well what can I do to my Airstream laying down?

And the future from down here is looking bright!
Old 09-09-2011, 10:26 PM   #390
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Also a couple of pics of where I continued stripping the Black paint and Clearcoat last week...

And also a little surprise I found in the rearmost corner of the bedroom, In a box, I had not spotted!
Nutone Accessories Galore!

Old 09-10-2011, 10:47 PM   #391
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
I am still filling and repairing the cracks and splits in the ABS Drawer top.
Thunderstorm hit us this morning, and I knew my Drawer would be waterlogged...I was pleased to see that the water was skating around inside like the interior wax waxed!

I have to figure out how it is getting into the Rear Kerbside locker tho...

A solid hour of drilling and bolting and Finally the Genset is Sliding in and out on its slides!
Best part is that the only thing I will need to lengthen to allow it to pull out is the fuel line, and I need to replace that anyway due to age cracking.

In my search for info on the 7CM21-RV Genset I have, I spotted that the Airfilter was put on wrong, so I corrected that so the filter intake is toward the outside wall.
While I was doing that I spotted this Vacuum pipe on the side of the Carb that is cut, and should be connected somewhere...
Old 09-11-2011, 06:31 PM   #392
Athens GA

1995 28' Excella
1989 34' Excella
1986 31' Sovereign
1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Athens , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by navyspook
Another Newbie who just picked up an '87 345 last Friday, trying to beat Tropical Storm Lee...it was interesting and not really the best day to learn to drive a wingless C-130. Had lots of rain and wind (did any of you know that Airstreams have occasionally leaked) but I did miss the worst of the storm.

PO had told me about the 2 leaks, not necessarily the velocity of them. Top of windshield and top of left rear curved window. It was kinda like driving one my old Healey 3000's...wiping water with one hand and steering with the other.

Thank you all for the opinions, facts, humor, and DYI pics (especially AirRowan). Tremendously helpful, but I ignored most it and bought it anyway. I feel the opposite of Woody Allen who said, "I wouldn't want to be a member of any club who would have me for a member". I may have bought it just to be a member, but the official reason is "Temporary Insanity".

I do have real question that I haven't able to find a thread about. Can I paint the with White Elastromeric roofing coating to keep it cooler and eliminate future leaks. It's probably here somewhere, but I can't find it...Thanks again
Welcome! Mine leaks in same places. I still can't find where it's coming from. Thankfully I keep it under cover. Had it out in rain last week and yep! Still leaks.
Old 09-11-2011, 06:54 PM   #393

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Your perfect AS leaks? I hope it doesn't leak in the living room!
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 07:07 PM   #394
Rivet Master

1936 20' Clipper
1947 22' Liner
Curtis Wright
1989 37' Airstream 370
marshfield , Massachusetts
My guess is that the heavy rubber gasket that surrounds the windshield might be the source of one of your leaks. Has the windshield been replaced recently?
Try masking around it with tape, and then prying it away from the body with a plastic knife or something that won't scratch the aluminum. Separate it just enough to allow you to squeeze some sealant in behind. You might be able to do this all in one step with the tip of the caulking tube, or it could be a two man job with one following the other. The tape (use lots of it) will help contain the excess of sealant that will be pushed out after the gasket is released. I had a friend who was taking on water by the bucket, and this solved his problem completely. Good luck, and welcome aboard!

Charly.
streamquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 07:54 PM   #395
3 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Milton , Florida
Thanks, I'll give that a try on the windshield. I don't think the glass has been replaced, but not sure. I think it's just a dry cracked gasket. I has lots of RTV spread along the top of the windshield. I hear that the original glass gets brittle and will probably break if I have the gasket replaced, sooo I'll have to weigh the options.

I applied aluminum waterproofing tape above the leaking rear window...not permanent fix, but it should narrow the possibilities. If it stops, I know where it leaks and I can peel the tape off.
navyspook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 09:29 PM   #396
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
My Windhield leaks too, and seems to been resealed poorly.
Whilst I have not fully understood why yet, it does seems that RTV on Aluminum is a huge NO-NO.
Maybe it would be fine between the glass and seal?
Streamquest's advice is good, and I too have done that one on an old car, and it worked.
Its in my plan of attack, when I get up into the roof strip and polish.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:49 AM   #397
Athens GA

1995 28' Excella
1989 34' Excella
1986 31' Sovereign
1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Athens , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by blmitch5
Your perfect AS leaks? I hope it doesn't leak in the living room!
Oh! I am sorry, but aren't you a trailer owner? You must have just got a Moho. What Moho did you get? Haha these are Moho's we are talking about over here. You know some day your swanky new 19' Bambi will leak too. Haha they all eventually do... oh! and BL don't worry it's not leaking in the living room. Y'all will be just fine up there for the trip in it to Key West.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:04 AM   #398
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyair View Post
My Windhield leaks too, and seems to been resealed poorly.
Whilst I have not fully understood why yet, it does seems that RTV on Aluminum is a huge NO-NO.
Maybe it would be fine between the glass and seal?
Auto parts store sells extra thin winshield leak stop for between glass and gasket, runs like water, any drips on glass are hard to see until it rains.
I had a leak showing up as a drip at the rear view mirror, only showed up after driving in rain, problem is 4 possible sources, windshield to glass, gasket to body, marker lights or roof. Found age cracks in roof to front panel and marker lights, sealed with 5200 sealant, used leak stop for glass and ride gasket away from body and injected rtv caulk. Haven't had leak since.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 10:19 AM   #399
Athens GA

1995 28' Excella
1989 34' Excella
1986 31' Sovereign
1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Athens , Georgia
Thanks. Sounds great. I did seal up seams and marker lights already. Just wasnt sire about gasket stuff. Now I know.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:27 AM   #400
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
I had both windshields replaced a few years ago and they did a crummy job with the seals, I'm sure spending the winter in the desert has not helped, either. I take a very small amount of water in heavy rain at speed. What I'm going to try is clean the area between the gasket and the glass and use a Permatex clear auto glass sealer. I'm not very interested in replacing the seals.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote