Old 04-02-2010, 09:42 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
No comments?

Does anyone make a 10,000lb hitch for this chassis?

Old 04-02-2010, 09:51 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyair View Post
No comments?

Does anyone make a 10,000lb hitch for this chassis?

Airstream modified the chassis by extending it giving it the long rear overhang. I doubt that anyone makes a hitch that will fit out of the box. Perhaps the folks in Elkhart would fab one for you and send it to you?

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 12:05 PM   #17
Full Timers/Diesel power.

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
What are those dealy-bobs below the front bumper?
Old 04-02-2010, 01:54 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
What are those dealy-bobs below the front bumper?
Mmmm... I dont know!
I have some high res shots on my home PC so I will look closer when I get there!

When I get it back, I will mod the hitch in a similar way to what they did in Elkhart, but I want mine to bolt on, and also add some protection against impact with the ground on ramps, which i assume is a problem with that much rear overhang.
Have I seen some long overhang RV's with a roller or casters?

Looking at the Dash, I noticed a switch marked "fans"... Did they have Electric cooling fans, or an engine fan?
I think I will add a seperate fan cooled transmission cooler too.
Old 04-02-2010, 02:03 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Quote:
Mmmm... I dont know!
I have some high res shots on my home PC so I will look closer when I get there!

When I get it back, I will mod the hitch in a similar way to what they did in Elkhart, but I want mine to bolt on, and also add some protection against impact with the ground on ramps, which i assume is a problem with that much rear overhang.
Have I seen some long overhang RV's with a roller or casters?

Looking at the Dash, I noticed a switch marked "fans"... Did they have Electric cooling fans, or an engine fan?
I think I will add a seperate fan cooled transmission cooler too.
My rig has receivers in the locations Mike asked about. I assume they were added by a PO for some sort of rack.

I have rollers on the rear of mine. I recently bent them out of all usefulness while backing out of a driveway with a big dip. This will be the third set I have replaced.

Don't know about your model and year, the only fan switch on mine was added by a PO to control a fan for the oil cooler.

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 02:29 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Las Vegas , Nevada
I think I will add a seperate fan cooled transmission cooler too.[/QUOTE]

FWIW, My MH has both, engine water pump fan & twin electric in front of radiator. The added on toggle switch on mine supplies power to electric fans when ignition is turned off, if desired.
Old 04-02-2010, 06:10 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Looking at the Pics I have, they look like the front levelers...
I see springs and stuff too...
Old 04-02-2010, 06:11 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1984 31' Airstream310
College Station , Texas
She looks like she just needs a little tender loving care. Welcome aboard and good luck as you start fixing her up!

PD
Old 04-03-2010, 02:17 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Yup, she is gonna get a caring hand!
Old 04-03-2010, 12:37 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Can anyone tell me about the wiper blades on this one... they are missing, and need to get some to put on when I get there, ready for the drive home. Are they generic, or special... Can I get some from Pepboys?

Bunch of thoughts today, some of them seem kinda silly to ask!

It has a Kohler 7000, is that a good unit?
To get 110V, do you have the run the genset, or is there a 12v to 110v converter built in? If there is not a converter, I assume you could add one... I plan to add solar panels, and maybe a 4th Batt. Anyone done that?
Old 04-03-2010, 01:32 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Las Vegas , Nevada
Quote:
Can anyone tell me about the wiper blades on this one... they are missing, and need to get some to put on when I get there, ready for the drive home. Are they generic, or special... Can I get some from Pepboys?
I'd check with Camping World. They had the one's I needed and a large selection of others. None of the auto parts stores around here had any that fit, for mine.
Old 04-03-2010, 02:37 PM   #26
Kmpro

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Lubbock , Texas
Wink New 1984 Airstream 345 Advice

Keyair, I found wiper blades at Wal-Mart for mine. It's kind of tough when you don't have a sample to go by. Maybe some forum member who has a 345 can tell you what length to buy.
Kohler 7000 is OK unit. Yes it has to run to produce 110V power for you. As it its running, it also will power your converter which furnishes 12V power for your unit and also charges your house batteries. As you may have figured out , there is three systems. 110 V, 12V, & charging. You don't have 110V unless you are plugged in to 110V or running your generator. 12V system powers lights, water pump, and refrigerator, as well as water heater DSI system. Your power converter distributes this power as needed and keeps house batteries charged. I know this just a thumbnail sketch of the electrical system, so I will encourage you to read your owner's manual to learn more as well as asking questions on this forum. Much knowledge available here for the asking. My advice is learn about 12V DC electricity soon, and remember those house batteries are the heart of your new unit. Be sure they are properly cleaned, filled, and charged to keep things on an even keel.
Mike
Old 04-03-2010, 03:06 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
I am new to all this, but have a basic idea!
I will email PO, and get a read on the wiper blades.
In fact I got an email from him today, says that the owners manual is with the unit, so thats a start. I did a search, and found that there is some place that still has service manuals, so will try to get one of those.
He went to dump the tanks, and fill the propane, and found the freshwater tank has a crack in it , so he is gonna replace that before I pick it up. I asked him to get the whole system checked in case there is other issues.
I am gonna fly from Orange County to Wichita in a couple of weeks, and drive it the 1300 miles back!
It was not serviced too long ago, but I think I like the idea of a oil change as a minimum.
Old 04-03-2010, 03:16 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Oh, for fun, here is a pic of my current "RV".
Its a work in progress, but a completely different beast.....
It is 4x4(Rear rear, is a complete axle, but undriven... yet!).
It has a 5000 watt genset, AC, kitchen, but no bathroom... yet.
Based on a 1977 Dodge Van, with a Pathfinder conversion that was stretched for a Disabled guy as a "Go anywhere RV".
I put the 33" wheels and tires on it for more floatation on soft sand and more sidewall on rocky stuff.
As is "Only" 23' long, I can get places such as some parks without probs and park it on the street.