Old 02-26-2011, 09:31 AM   #183
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Longview , Washington
Send a message via MSN to audiv8q Send a message via Yahoo to audiv8q Send a message via Skype™ to audiv8q
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyair View Post
Mmmm... I dont know!
I have some high res shots on my home PC so I will look closer when I get there!

When I get it back, I will mod the hitch in a similar way to what they did in Elkhart, but I want mine to bolt on, and also add some protection against impact with the ground on ramps, which i assume is a problem with that much rear overhang.
Have I seen some long overhang RV's with a roller or casters?

Looking at the Dash, I noticed a switch marked "fans"... Did they have Electric cooling fans, or an engine fan?
I think I will add a seperate fan cooled transmission cooler too.
Soooo..... what ARE those... "dealy-bobs", was it(?)... under the front bumper?

I have seen MANY MHs with casters under the long rear overhang, and by personal experience I know why they ought to be there...:

I was - maybe 20? - and my parents had rented a 35' or 40' Class-A in NY, and we flew in from Denmark to take a trip up and down the Eastern Seaboard, and out to Elkhart to visit my Dad's brother.

We were cruising in SC, where we were going to visit an old college bud of my Dad's - so we were out in the rolling-hills-countryside - driving down a steep-ish hill - when we came upon the driveway to the bud's house.

The drive was a sharp left, and an abrupt uphill...

I am sure everyone reading this has already cringed in anticipation of where this is going - so here's the rest of the story.

I was driving at the time. I said to my Dad that I wanted to by-pass the driveway and find a place to turn around, and attack it from the opposite direction, due to the sharp, down-to-up angle shift of the lanes (because they weren't large enough to be called "roads").

My Dad said we'd be fine - just "gun" it, and go.

(sigh)

In the rear of the rented MH, there was a long (perhaps 2' to 3') triangular welded sort of metal structure, which I suspect is a home-made trailer hitch, since there was a small threaded hole at the point of the triangle furthest from the rear of the MH.

So, I made the left turn - revving up the big 454 to try (against my own personal better judgement) to power through the dip, regardless of what might scrape.

About midway through the turn, everyone started hollering when we heard a LOOUUD scraping noise from the rear - and my Dad yelled "STOP, STOP!"
Again against my better judgement I STOPPED!

Shouldn't have done that.

It took us a couple of hours in the SC heat and humidity to jack up the motorhome, put blocks under the wheels, put blocks under the jack, jack up the MH, put more blocks under the wheels, more blocks under the jack, jack up the MH, etc., etc., until the MH wass high enough to - not only clear the rear off the pavement - but indeed dig the triangle welded structure out of the asphalt where it had dug in about 2", and was "bending" up from the rear of the MH.

In order to get the metal triangle up high enough to be off the pavement, the rear of the MH was a full foot off the ground - and when we started, it was resting on the pavement.

I still think that I would have made it through the turn, if only I had kept my foot in it, rather than brake when everyone panicked...

Old 02-26-2011, 09:37 AM   #184
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
They are the front leveling jacks!
I plan to put a chin spoiler on to hide them.

Old 02-26-2011, 09:42 AM   #185
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Longview , Washington
Send a message via MSN to audiv8q Send a message via Yahoo to audiv8q Send a message via Skype™ to audiv8q
Quote:

Looking at the Dash, I noticed a switch marked "fans"... Did they have Electric cooling fans, or an engine fan?
I think I will add a seperate fan cooled transmission cooler too.
I think the one I am buying has those switches too - and I didn't try them, but I just got a 1973 Dodge "The Executive" 26' Class-A, and it has similar built-in knobs labeled "fan" - and they are for the electroc "defroster fans" that are mounted on the A-pillar, aimed at the windshield...

Very hi-tech!
Old 02-26-2011, 10:39 AM   #186
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
I did an investigation, and that fan switch powers an engine fan.
A 73 Dodge eh? Did you see my '77 Van?
Old 02-27-2011, 11:35 AM   #187
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Longview , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by 345bill View Post
Just in case this might help I'll share with you some similar problems/fixes I've had with my 1990:

6. Does yours have twin beds? Mine does and the water tank is mounted under driver side bed w/fill hose going driect to fill door. If yours is suppose to be same let me know and I'll be glad to go take some pic's for you.
The one I am buying has the Queen (or is it a full?), and the huge water tank is under the bed, toward the middle of the vehicle, as far to the rear as possible.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:45 AM   #188
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
If you have a pic, that would be great!
Old 02-27-2011, 12:30 PM   #189
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Longview , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapIrony-2 View Post
having lost a toad to a failing brake system, I'm a little more aware of what could have happened, had the tow-brace system also failed...we have the Roadmaster tow system...Falcon-2 towbar...m
uh, oh...

Seems I have some learning curve about towing the dinghy...

My current plan - as described on a couple of other threads, is one of 2 options, with 2 being far preferred:

1) Tow the Jeep TJ Wrangler on a towbar purchased at Auto Zone - with magnet tow lights attached to the Jeep rear bumper, plugged into the flat-4. An upgrade to this is to get an adapter that would make the Jeep's own tail lights / brake lights / flashers / markers work when plugged in; or

2) Convert a 31' AS trailer to become a toy-hauler, parking the Jeep on top of the axles, and making the forward compartment into a "boys-room", with three-high bunk bed, desk, dresser and closet, and moving the bathroom further forward - eliminating the kitchen and the rear bedroom.

I am learning that 2) is likely going to require some frame upgrades / re-enforcing, but that's still by far the preferred option.

But now I am reading about "rakes on the toad" and such... What's this all about? Is there a problem simply hooking the Jeep up to the rear of the 345?

I towed it like that from Chicago to Portland, OR, behind a 1986 Dodge Caravan V6, both vehicles fully loaded, traversing the Wasatch in a snowstorm with "chains required" - a harrowing experience, I must say.

Why would the Jeep need to have functional brakes if towing 4-down?
Old 02-27-2011, 01:38 PM   #190
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
You MUST upgrade the hitch on the 345... its only rated to 2000lb stock.
I think that its both a matter of safety and law that the brakes on the towed trailer or car are functional. IIRC, most states apply brakes required laws on anything towed over 2000lb... and heaven forbid you have an accident without them... you would loose your shirt, let alone the risk of hurting someone...
The Airstream brakes IF working well can stop the M/H fine by the standards of its day, but adding 5000lb unbraked to the combined weight is an accident looking for somewhere to happen, and foolhardy.
I don't think you can tow a 4x4 jeep on a dolly, but flat is fine with the Transfer case in N.... but there is a procedure to follow!
The favorite seems to be "BrakeBuddy" and similar units to apply the brakes on the Toad.

I liked the idea of getting a flatbed trailer. Used ones are available for $1500 or so, and that starts looking very attractive when you add up the cost of the equipment needed to setup and tow just one car or truck(Towbar, baseplate, and Toad brakes) for flat towing. The trailer makes sense for me... I could throw the Jeep on one week and my Mercedes Diesel the next.
Only issue is weight... a good trailer is 1800lb + whats on it, so 7000lb all up is easy. Also factor in storage, insurance and maintanence costs...
Old 02-27-2011, 01:45 PM   #191
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiv8q View Post
uh, oh...

Seems I have some learning curve about towing the dinghy...

My current plan - as described on a couple of other threads, is one of 2 options, with 2 being far preferred:

1) Tow the Jeep TJ Wrangler on a towbar purchased at Auto Zone - with magnet tow lights attached to the Jeep rear bumper, plugged into the flat-4. An upgrade to this is to get an adapter that would make the Jeep's own tail lights / brake lights / flashers / markers work when plugged in; or

2) Convert a 31' AS trailer to become a toy-hauler, parking the Jeep on top of the axles, and making the forward compartment into a "boys-room", with three-high bunk bed, desk, dresser and closet, and moving the bathroom further forward - eliminating the kitchen and the rear bedroom.

I am learning that 2) is likely going to require some frame upgrades / re-enforcing, but that's still by far the preferred option.

But now I am reading about "rakes on the toad" and such... What's this all about? Is there a problem simply hooking the Jeep up to the rear of the 345?

I towed it like that from Chicago to Portland, OR, behind a 1986 Dodge Caravan V6, both vehicles fully loaded, traversing the Wasatch in a snowstorm with "chains required" - a harrowing experience, I must say.

Why would the Jeep need to have functional brakes if towing 4-down?
Most states require brakes on anything being towed over 3000 lbs. Some require it on vehicles as low as 1500 lbs. In Washington on vehicles rquireing brakes, each wheel on the ground must have a brake.

If you do a search you can find the requirements for each state.

Cheers, Dan
Old 02-28-2011, 03:46 AM   #192
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Longview , Washington
Quote:
I did an investigation, and that fan switch powers an engine fan.
A 73 Dodge eh? Did you see my '77 Van?
Yep. Cool rig - but the '73 is a 26' Dodge "The Executive" Class-A MH.
Here's one:
Upgrades to an old motor coach - ADVrider
And mine is here:
Attached Images

Old 02-28-2011, 03:48 AM   #193
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Longview , Washington
Quote:
I'll have to go back over to the "still current" owner (We've made our first payment) and snap a pic. Everything in there seems factory.

Hey! I "stole" the pic of your rear wheel cover - that's missing off "mine" - non-existant.

I need to find a replacement - or have you make me a mold of yours so I can make a new one myself...
Old 03-10-2011, 11:32 AM   #194
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Longview , Washington
Quote:
I finally got back over to the people we're buying the 345 from and snapped some pics. I am sorry for the picture quality. I only have a crappy phone to take pics with - something that is going to change quite soon.

Anyway - here are a few pics of the 100 (or 90?) gal fresh water tank under the rear queen - and a couple of other interesting features: Seems our vanity is different from the ones I've seen in other pics - and the blender spot in the kitchen. The unit comes with ALL the original attachments!

Cheers!

Michael.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	03-15-07_1138.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	124139   Click image for larger version

Name:	03-15-07_1139.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	154.8 KB
ID:	124140  

Name:	03-15-07_1140.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	183.5 KB
ID:	124141   Click image for larger version

Name:	03-15-07_1141.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	159.6 KB
ID:	124142  

Name:	03-15-07_1142.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	180.2 KB
ID:	124143   Click image for larger version

Name:	03-15-07_1146.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	152.8 KB
ID:	124144  

Old 03-10-2011, 11:34 AM   #195
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Longview , Washington
By the way - I came across your cool 3-axle van on another forum, with some "action shots" - you were "keyspyder" methinks?
Old 03-10-2011, 12:11 PM   #196
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Thanks for the pics!
Confirms the positioning...
Should be 80 gallons to spec.
Here is the mess I have at the moment...

LOL, yes, BigB is quite the hit...
So much so, that I won this!

Action shots?
Nothing like I want to... she is on the backburner for now, but far from dead!
This is the closest to Action she has seen in my care... leaving the PO's place on a dirt road?

I have many "Aliases"!
Yes, Keyspider is one... normally on the Alfa Romeo Forums tho... as i have a couple of 74 Spiders.
KeyBlazer on the Chevy forums, KeyDodge for the Van, KeyOutback for the Subaru I am working on now, and of course KeyAir!