Old 06-23-2016, 05:20 PM   #1

Dallas , Texas
1984 Airstream 310MH

Im the excited new partner in ownership of a 1984 Airstream 31 Motorhome. Its a low-mileage vehicle and we have several phases of repair and restoration to undertake before Ill be comfortable the rig is ready for its post-restoration maiden voyage. Ill describe what were working on and ask my questions at the end.

Phase 1 is to make her roadworthy - engine, suspension, brakes, etc. For the most part, this is done. Still a few wrinkles were ironing out.

Phase 2 is to be sure shes weather-tight. All of the windows are intact, although the gaskets are a mess. Almost everything rubber needs to be replaced. Ive found the part numbers for the sliding driver/passenger windows up front and the windshield. I have not found the part numbers for the gaskets/seals on every other window in the vehicle - if memory serves, there are 9 windows not including the cockpit windows. The door will also need some work.

Phase 3 is interior restoration. First well check the plumbing so we wont have any unpleasant surprises. Otherwise, for the most part, shes reasonably clean. Well replace all cushions and upholstery, including the carpet. Our thought is to leave the interior as original as possible with a few exceptions. Weve got some time for debate and discussion because we want weather-tight before we get to work. Im curious to how sensitive the AS MH is to balance as it relates to any sort of layout change.

Phase 4 is exterior polishing and touch-ups.

Phase 5 will be fixing everything else that pops up or we didnt think about - and I know there will be a lot!

Question 1: Where can I find the proper window/gasket seals for the living/kitchen/bath/bedroom areas?

Question 2: Our initial 500 mile drive in this rig alerted me to a huge number of internal rattles which tape and zip ties were able to quiet and mark for later repair. Wind and road noise was also significant and not so easily identified or remedied. Has anyone had luck getting the road and wind noise tamed and, if so, how?

Question 3: For debate/discussion purposes, how sensitive is an AS MH to layout changes and balance as it relates to overall vehicle stability?

Thank you for any assistance you may be able to offer and apologies for the length of this post!

Old 06-23-2016, 06:08 PM   #2
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Congrats on the new purchase and welcome to the infirmary.

Question #1 Vintage Airstream Supply, Inland RV and Vintage Trailer Supply will have what you need. Many parts over the past few years have been unobtanium, but now parts places are reproducing them, like windshields and weep hole covers.

Question #2 These rigs are no where near as quiet as newer coaches, but one rattle at a time. You didn't spec if you had a gasser or turbo diesel, as that make a difference. There are some great sound deadening products out there, OR a pair of sound deadening headphones.

Question #3. The sky's the limit so to speak as moho's are nowhere near as sensitive as trailers to weight, and weight distribution; however, you will find changing black or grey tanks would be very difficult in deed and certain appliances, like the fridge need that heat chute outlet on the roof, so you can't change that. Changing electrical can be difficult as well.
That being said, from someone who has gutted, revinyled all interior gables replaced all my cabinets, counter tops, flooring, plumbing and upgraded my electrical service, anything is possible if you have the desire and money.

Cheers
Tony

Its a recession when your neighbor loses his job; its a depression when you lose your own. "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 08:11 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 34' Classic S/O
2006 39' Land Yacht 396 XL
north blenheim , New York
Did you get a power probe yet ??? Regards, Bob
Old 06-23-2016, 08:19 PM   #4
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
Congrats on the new purchase and welcome to the infirmary.

Question #1 Vintage Airstream Supply, Inland RV and Vintage Trailer Supply will have what you need. Many parts over the past few years have been unobtanium, but now parts places are reproducing them, like windshields and weep hole covers.
An honorable mention to Out-of-Doors Mart as well; finding they have more of the smaller detail parts than anyone else recently.

As for moving/changing the layout....Airstream didn't do a great job in the first place - lots of room for improvement!
Old 06-23-2016, 08:35 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1985 32.5' Airstream 325
Lindsay , Ontario
Bob did you have any luck with the lenses and the airel
Old 06-23-2016, 11:10 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
New tires made a world of difference on ride and road noise on mine.
Old 06-24-2016, 05:55 AM   #7
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kota View Post
New tires made a world of difference on ride and road noise on mine.
Very good point Dave!

Just to add; buy a good name brand like Toyo or Hankook and inflate to 70 PSI. People do run higher inflations but it does affect ride.

Cheers
Tony

Its a recession when your neighbor loses his job; its a depression when you lose your own. "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 09:20 AM   #8

Dallas , Texas
Infirmary is a great analogy! I did expect an adventure when getting into it, so I'm sure I'll get what I deserve. The most interesting journey may be just getting this thing to the point we're ready to go on a long haul with it!

I've been able to find some parts on all of the websites mentioned although some are hit or miss when it comes to availability. As a neophyte, the instructional and locational images on odrmv.com are particularly helpful regarding the windows.

It is a gas engine - the Chevy 454. Engine noise is not terrible although if I can quiet some of the other noises down, it may be more noticeable. Tires are new Hankooks and seem good - I'll check the pressure to ensure it's around 70 for a better ride. I have looked at the Dynamat products for sound deadening products but haven't settled on what exactly to use.

While there is some appeal in maintaining the original interior layout, nothing is off the table. This one is the middle bath set-up and there has been some discussion regarding combining the shower/toilet (right now shower is on one side, toilet the other) to free up some space. Don't know how that would go, but it's one of our ideas. We've discussed replacing the carpet with vinyl/hardwood and using 'area rugs' to soften things a little.

I've replaced the suspension all the way around - still working on finding airbags. How essential are the airbags if the suspension is in good shape?

And what is a power probe, Bob?
Old 06-26-2016, 12:02 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Honokaa , Hawaii
If your rear springs are original, you need rear air bags. They only left the front of the springs bolted to the frame. The back is cut off and bouncing on the frame without air bags.

We got ours without front air bags. Some of the front end components had been upgraded, and in the process it looks like they ditched the air bags and installed heavier coils.
Old 06-26-2016, 12:20 PM   #10
Airstream Driver

1997 30' Excella
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas View Post
Infirmary is a great analogy! I did expect an adventure when getting into it, so I'm sure I'll get what I deserve. The most interesting journey may be just getting this thing to the point we're ready to go on a long haul with it!..
Once you get it running and turn the steering wheel the Austin way, you are always welcome to stop in and compare notes with me. I currently own a 83 310 and a 97 Airstream trailer, so i am always working on something.
If its not raining too hard, i also have full hookups on the other side of my house.
AIR #13
PeterH-Airstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 12:58 PM   #11

Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waipio Rim View Post
If your rear springs are original, you need rear air bags. They only left the front of the springs bolted to the frame. The back is cut off and bouncing on the frame without air bags.
Well thats certainly good to know - the bags on this one are rotted and shot (both front and rear).

I drove from deep woods Louisiana to North Texas on my inaugural trip. Fortunately I only broke down 6 times in the first 200 miles of the 500 mile drive. It was only about 80 degrees so the mid trip AC/generator failure was only semi-miserable and I was proud of myself because I'm certain I sweated out five pounds.

Also, I determined the ride was approximately as comfortable as sitting on a driving brick. I kept dreaming those airbags would actually mend themselves.

Because I was with my girlfriend and her three daughters on this trip, the wind noise from the front served as white noise to drown out the drama from the back.

And to think I actually look forward to a trip to Austin in this rig!
Old 06-26-2016, 01:06 PM   #12
Airstream Driver

1997 30' Excella
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
in the meantime, here is some good reading for you:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f311...ce-136024.html

AIR #13
PeterH-Airstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote