Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2010, 09:54 PM   #81
Kmpro

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Lubbock , Texas
Thumbs up 1984 310 Refurbish to former Glory

Thanks Gunner. Did you have the booster replaced when you replaced the antenna? Thanks Guy 99, but I will be using the new batwing for local TV only since I already have the antenna for direct TV that I manually tune in. I will continue to use it until Direct TVHD is available in an carry around form. Too many trees to mount a dome on my roof.
Mike
Old 03-29-2010, 02:47 PM   #82
Gunter

1966 24' Tradewind
1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Greenville , Ohio
I purchased the Batwing with matching booster.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:49 AM   #83
Kmpro

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Lubbock , Texas

Well, the Silver Hornet is coming along nicely. My wife made a new privacy curtain for the front, then started on replacing the "casket look" curtains in the bedroom. It's all done now, and now we have the bedroom with speakers exposed and it no longer has the "casket look". She worked over ten days sewing these up while I was working on other stuff. She and Singer have done wonders inside the Silver Hornet. I'll post pics as soon as I can, but she has got to download from the camera. This is looking more like home every day.

Mike, Mary Dee & Chloe(our Lab)
Old 03-30-2010, 06:59 PM   #84
Kmpro

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Lubbock , Texas

Today's endeavor was met with success, after some hard work and a good
Dremel tool. I started out to replace those pesky little #4 X 3/8" Screws around the windows on the 310. 8 screws per window X 8 windows=64 screws
not hard to find except in Stainless steel. The OEM screws were rusted, so stainless was chosen for replacement. Three hardware stores later I found them at Lowe's. They had 30 in the correct length, so I bought the rest at 1/2" rather than 3/8. My cut-off disc on the Dremel got a good workout getting the balance to the correct length. Good news, only one screw stripped out the head because of rust. 2 minutes with the Dremel Disc and I put a straight slot in the head and was able to turn it right out. No more rusty screws on the windows. Better look on the outside. Sounds small, but the screws by themselves were almost $ 25.00. Had I been paying labor @ $ 100 per hour it would really ca-ching!!!
Old 03-31-2010, 05:41 AM   #85
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
O.K. somebody feel free to jump in and tell me I'm wrong...

You put stainless (hard metal) into your aluminum (very soft metal) window frames.

I think it is safe to say that the next time this job has to be done it will be necessary to do it with a larger diameter screw due to the galvanic corrosion that you've just set up. The softer metal with be sacrificial and though it may take more time than you'll spend with your coach I believe the dissimilar metals are not the best idea.

Also I don't think the corrosion will be even so it is likely only one or two holes will open up due to this process.

Now the real question on this process begs to be asked. Can a sacrificial anode be placed somewhere on the skin to minimize the action of the dissimilar metals and direct it to the anode(s).

Inquiring minds.......
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 07:43 AM   #86
Kmpro

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Lubbock , Texas
Question 1984 310 Refurbish to former Glory

Glen:
Didn't see that one coming. Never thought about the dissimilar metals thing. Somebody surely knows the answer. The only reason they would ever be removed would be to replace the glass, and I hope I don't need that.
None the less thanks Glen for helping me to think about it.
Mike
Old 03-31-2010, 10:33 PM   #87
Kmpro

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Lubbock , Texas

Well, the distaff side has outdone me again! While I thought I was doing some important things, she was doing beautiful stuff for the front and the bedroom. The full story can be read with pictures at www.starnewspub.com just click on "Wheels" then "RVs" Motorhoming with Mike. Darn I hate it when she does that. Wives have a lot of influence on how we put together our RVs.

Mike
Old 04-02-2010, 09:10 AM   #88
Kmpro

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Lubbock , Texas
Post 1984 310 Refurbish to former Glory

Too much going on to attend to business on the Silver Hornet. Going to Physical Therapy takes way too much time. Better than rotator cuff surgery though. Serviced Generator with new oil & filter changed air cleaner and put in new spark plugs. Now it will carry both a/cs easily. Started on putting on the wiring and plug for the toad, but ran out of time to finish. Wind here is supposed to blow in the 40 MPH range here today, so I doubt I'll be working outside underneath the Silver Hornet.
I did get the order in for a Steer Safe and a new Fantastic Vent to replace the egg-beater fan above the kitchen. After the shakedown run, I decided to install the Steer Safe for safety reasons, and to give me more control on the highway. Driving back to Denver will be less stressful with the Steer Safe.
With temps being up in the high 80's and low 90's we are thinking it won't be long till we set sail North. Besides, this is the beginning of the hail and tornado season in Lubbock, and AS's and big hail don't mix well.
Mike
Old 04-02-2010, 04:04 PM   #89
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Still have a videotape of softball-sized hail coming down just east of Lubbock...not too many trees to park under...spent 30 min under an overpass with other like-minded dodgers...
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 04:31 PM   #90
Kmpro

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Lubbock , Texas
Thumbs down 1984 310 Refurbish to former Glory

That's what I am talking about Mike. Hailstones the size of baseballs and golfballs really do a number on an AS. Our 1963 Overlander was pummeled in 1969 and the damage was unreal. I do not have a shelter for the Silver Hornet, and I don't want to get it beat up if I can help it, so we will be leaving Lubbock soon to dodge the stuff. Did you guys get any damage from the storm you waited out?
Mike
Old 04-04-2010, 07:30 PM   #91
Kmpro

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Lubbock , Texas

Well here's the third try. HAPPY EASTER EGG EVERYONE!!! yesterday was service the generator day. Changed oil & filter, Cleaned air filter and put in 2 new plugs to get ready for the season. We've already had a couple of 90 degree days here, so it's time. UPS delivered my Steer Safe so Easter Sunday afternoon will be spent installing it. Got the tow bar mounted and wired so now we are ready for the road. The only part lacking is the Fantastic Vent to replace the egg-beater fan above the kitchen. We are ready to head back where there is a scarceity of monster size hailstones and tornadoes.
Mike
Old 04-06-2010, 07:11 AM   #92
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmpro View Post
That's what I am talking about Mike. Hailstones the size of baseballs and golfballs really do a number on an AS. Our 1963 Overlander was pummeled in 1969 and the damage was unreal. I do not have a shelter for the Silver Hornet, and I don't want to get it beat up if I can help it, so we will be leaving Lubbock soon to dodge the stuff. Did you guys get any damage from the storm you waited out?
Mike
This was in the pre Al+3 days, but the Isuzu Trooper took a HUGE dent just above the windshield...that was a wake-up call better than a cup of coffee...no warning, just BAM...several folks lost windshields(and other windows) and one guy in a convertible needed an icebag for his head...
Old 04-06-2010, 01:46 PM   #93
Kmpro

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Lubbock , Texas
Smile 1984 310 Refurbish to former Glory

ScrapIrony, that sounds like the kind of storm that got our 63 International Overlander. Knocked out all the plastic domes and broke two plastic chairs we had under the 14X26 dome in the LR. That's exactly why we plan to be back in Centennial by April 18 or so, in hopes that there will be no bad storms here before we leave. Daily temps are at 90's and that helps build those big thunderstorms that hatch here. I need to have two tires put on the front of the Silver Hornet, and then we are ready to roll North.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:31 AM   #94
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Hope you have an uneventful trip and memorable camping...mike
Old 04-07-2010, 03:58 PM   #95
Kmpro

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Lubbock , Texas
Cool 1984 310 Refurbish to former Glory

Mike:
Looking forward to meeting you and other members of the 4 Corners unit at the Vintage Rally in June. We'll be coming from Centennial and will probably go to Cimarron NM after the rally. From there on to South Fork to meet our kids at Fun Valley. Open calendar after that. Yippee!!!
Mike
Old 04-07-2010, 04:29 PM   #96
Kmpro

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Lubbock , Texas

Today was the day of small things on the Silver Hornet. Repair the porch light and seal potential leaks at the light cover. Not heavy work but time consuming was drilling out pop rivets and removing cracked and broken bumper strip on the left rear quarter. Some PO had tried to repair by putting in lots of pop rivets and glueing with Liquid Nails. What a nightmare to clean up and make ready for new bumper strip. Actual installation of the new strip took only 20 minutes, but it took nearly 3 hours to clean up the mess PO made.
I did my thing on the ladder too. Combed and straightened all the condenser fins on both air conditioners. Helps looks as well as improving a/c performance. Maybe that will deter me from buying new a/c s for a while. I will rewire the unit like BKahler suggested and then we can have both a/c s on shore power. That will be nice.
Later this week, the tire folks are going to replace both steering axle tires to give us a little better rubber on the ground. My son talked me into leaving the spare on board, since we go to some off the beaten path places in CO & NM. Even though I have the road service, they might not find our location.
Sorting out tools to put on board is no easy task. Storage is much more limited so I am having to cut back. Ugh.
Mike
Old 04-08-2010, 09:37 PM   #97
Kmpro

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Lubbock , Texas
Smile 1984 310 Refurbish to former Glory

Today Physical Therapy took precedence over working on The Silver Hornet. Trying to rehab a rotator cuff injury taking waaay too much time. Don't heal as fast as I used to. More updates on www.starnewspub.com about vintage Airstreams though. Pics too.
MIke
Old 04-09-2010, 05:58 PM   #98
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Mike, if it will make you feel any better ( I don't expect it will) Julie my significant other had RC surgery the week of Thanksgiving and what was to be a mild clean up turned into a medium tear and two anchors. She is at about 90% after changing PT locations to get away from a frozen shoulder. She's a real trouper and does all the PT she's told to do. There is no short cut for the real work in fixing the RC. It is the longest recovery of all joint repairs I believe...
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 08:00 AM   #99
Kmpro

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Lubbock , Texas
Cool 1984 310 Refurbish to former Glory

RC is not my favorite excercise, but the PT seems to be helping Glen. My XYL is supposed to have surgery on hers, but she is stalling on the guy with the knife. She's hoping the PT will help her too. Thanks for the encouragement about the PT. Yesterday I decided not to stress the RC, so I got the Dremel Tool out and started grinding off pop-rivet heads to replace the Black Plastic Bumper Strip on the Silver Hornet. Pop-rivets are such a pain to get out. Nothing seems to work well, so I just grind the heads off, then cut them off at the surface and punch them out of the surface. Then I fill the hole with Parbond so no leaks occur. If someone has a better method, let me know.
Mike
Old 04-11-2010, 07:41 AM   #100
Kmpro

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Lubbock , Texas

The Silver Hornet now has new Bumper Strip all around thanks to Denise and Inland RV. One 50 foot roll replaced all the bumper strip on the Silver Hornet and left just a smidgion for good measure. Vastly improved the looks too. I am finally down to the last item on the list before hitting the road North to Colorado. Replacement of the Door and Screen gasket or seals, is the next challenge facing me. It seems like a simple task, but I have yet to to find simple when it comes to Classic Airstream Motorhomes. So far, I have been up to the challenge, but I have suffered a few aches and pains in the process. Goes with the age I suppose. Would'nt have it any other way though. Would you trade your Classic for newer and more modern? Newer and more modern can be put inside a Classic but you can't get a Classic look outside on newer and modern.
Mike