Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-10-2010, 10:31 PM   #41
Kmpro

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Lubbock , Texas
Question 1984 310 Refurbish to former Glory

Guy 99 my wife wants to know if you had problems getting them to stay against the wall, and who made them for you? What did you do with the curved windows? She wants to get rid of the "casket look" the AS curtains have.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:56 AM   #42
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmpro View Post
Guy 99 my wife wants to know if you had problems getting them to stay against the wall, and who made them for you? What did you do with the curved windows? She wants to get rid of the "casket look" the AS curtains have.
We mounted ours to the wall in the existing valences. The amount that they stand out from the curved portion of the window isn't a problem at all.

They were made by United Shade, LLC :: Home of Elkhart, IN. They don't sell directly to the public but if you call them, they'll give you the name and number of a company who will order and ship them to you. I believe the prices are better than Campingworld or the RV Catalogs

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:02 AM   #43
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
We saw a 345 with new shades...they removed the valances and side boxes...replaced with drop-down blinds held in place with thin cables on each side, instead of the box ends...looked really sharp, and it was surprising to see how much more light was afforded...
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:36 AM   #44
Kmpro

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Lubbock , Texas
Thanks for your input ScrapIrony-2. We are up in that area part of the year in Centennial and we have been going to Fun Valley at South Fork every year since 1969! Our kids usually meet us there. Great for families.
Mike
Old 03-11-2010, 09:45 AM   #45
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapIrony-2 View Post
We saw a 345 with new shades...they removed the valances and side boxes...replaced with drop-down blinds held in place with thin cables on each side, instead of the box ends...looked really sharp, and it was surprising to see how much more light was afforded...
Our rig didn't/doesn't have side boxes - don't know if it ever had any. The thing I like most about the new shades is that they disappear into the valences.

The old wicket shades stuck down 6" when fully open, this made me feel that I had to bend to see out and created a claustrophobic feel.

I really like the new blinds.

Be sure you order "blackout" cloth on the night portion of the blind (if you want it) we didn't and ended up paying to send them back and have them redone.

Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
Old 03-11-2010, 04:08 PM   #46
Kmpro

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Lubbock , Texas
Thanks Guy 99. Where did you order them from? How much?
Mike
Old 03-11-2010, 06:03 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Quote:
Thanks Guy 99. Where did you order them from? How much?
Mike
I can't remember the name of the place we ordered them from and we are 900 miles from home so I can't look it up. If you call: United Shade, LLC :: Home, they can give you the name of a company in Elkhart who takes retail orders.

I think ~$50 per blind.

Old 03-15-2010, 07:48 AM   #48
Kmpro

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Lubbock , Texas
Angry 1984 310 Refurbish to former Glory

So much to do, so little time. I am thinking about changing the name on our rig from the Silver Queen to "The Silver Hornet". It reminds me of Inspector Clouseau's car. Seems like when one thing is repaired, I find three more things that need attention. The PO had spray painted the wheel liners rather than polish the chrome. Now I have to remove paint and rust but the chrome looks good once polished. Pics to follow.
Finally got all the clearance lamps working, then got after the driving lights. Now the Silver Hornet is properly illuminated. Headlamps must be aimed to give light on the road though.
I have got to get the driver and passenger sliding windows so they will work as intended, as well as replacing all the weatherstrips on them. Right now. I can't get the sliders to move at all. Suspicion the PO sealed the sliders with silicone to stop leaks. Makes it more fun to get them open.
Haven't had the time to get the exhaust repaired, but that's coming.
Old 03-16-2010, 02:46 PM   #49
Jamie

1984 31' Limited
1983 31' Airstream310
Oriental , North Carolina
Shades - we bought "cellular" shades from Lowe's Home Improvement - they get them cut to ordered size - made by Bali - no "night" portion - took the side things off altogether. The new shades disappear into the valences and stay where you put them; up, down, or in between. Very happy wife, and cost lots less than custom work.
Jamie
jking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 08:53 AM   #50
Kmpro

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Lubbock , Texas
Jamie, thanks for the info about the shades. We are still debating what to order for the Silver Hornet at this time. Getting Day/Nite shades seems to be the issue. We want the D/N feature and so far the only source we have found is Camping World. Still looking though.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:32 AM   #51
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Quote:
... so far the only source we have found is Camping World. Still looking though.
Have you tried these folks:United Shade, LLC :: Home

Old 03-17-2010, 10:25 PM   #52
Kmpro

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Lubbock , Texas
Smile 1984 310 Refurbish to former Glory

Well, it warmed up in Lubbock today and the outdoor stuff was on the agenda. I got a great welder to come by in his welding truck and we got the hitch up to a respectable specs so I can haul my toad. Even by 1984 standards, having a hitch that would only be good for 2000# is weak. More steel, welding rod, and a little time fixed that. The welder did a beautiful job and was very reasonable. Sealed more potential leaks with Parrbond too. Undercoated the roll out drawers (more water protection ) and the battery roll out tray.
Since it warmed up I opened the vents all around. The vent in the bathroom has the plastic handle broken so I am handling it with kid gloves. I closed the vent in the shower and that handle broke. What is the fix for these broken handles?? Looks like metal replacement would be in order. More repairs to the Silver Hornet.
The wife has new privacy curtain and new curtains for the wrap around windows in the bedroom. Not sure, but price of these curtains could be a divorce. She is really tires of AS curtains. The Roman shades still haven't been replaced, but that day is coming.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:00 PM   #53
2 Rivet Member

1984 31' Airstream310
College Station , Texas
KM Prea....

I also had a broken plastic handle to vent. Cut a piece of med gauge alum to match the L & W of the handle. Held it to the back of the handle and drilled two evenly spaced holes between plastic and new alum backing. Pop riveted the new assembly together. Works and looks OK.

PD
pdallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 11:29 PM   #54
Kmpro

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Lubbock , Texas
Thumbs up 1984 310 Refurbish to former Glory

Thanks Pat, that seems like a logical and long term fix for something weak. Did you notice that I changed the name of our rig? I may be gaining a little on all the stuff to do. Today I found a replacement rebuilt Alternator for the Silver Hornet at NAPA. Took a little looking, but we found a rebuilt that is the same configuration and puts out 96 amps rather than 105. It will put out 105 at 6000 RPM but I don't think I'll be running the BB Chevy that hard. Tomorrow morning I am going to get the exhaust seen about, and with that repaired , we will be heading to Abilene for the test run. The FO told me it was ready for the road, but I found tire pressures from 30PSI to 95PSI and the front airbags were 70 and 30. Ready to kill ya on the road would have been more like it. I probably will have trouble believing it;s the same M/H with correct inflations all around. We'll see.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:06 AM   #55
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdallas View Post
KM Prea....

I also had a broken plastic handle to vent. Cut a piece of med gauge alum to match the L & W of the handle. Held it to the back of the handle and drilled two evenly spaced holes between plastic and new alum backing. Pop riveted the new assembly together. Works and looks OK.

PD
That handle is available as a replacement part.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 09:56 PM   #56
2 Rivet Member

1984 31' Airstream310
College Station , Texas
Come on Andy! Anybody can buy a replacement part.
pdallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 10:52 PM   #57
Kmpro

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Lubbock , Texas
Smile 1984 310 Refurbish to former Glory

Well Pat we are rolling the numbers right on up there on the Silver Hornet. Today was a $1000 dollar day. I went to the muffler shop thinking I just needed an exhaust donut and a tailpipe on one side. Gotcha! New exhaust pipe, two new mufflers, and two new tailpipes later we had cured the leaks. Flowmaster mufflers for a Big Block RV are not cheap. Then off to the Alignment shop to correct tire wear problem. Stop at the propane fill to get full load on board before the snow comes tonite. After several miles of freeway driving, I thought the batteries should be at full charge. Engine battery 12.7 Volts, House batteries 10.4 Volts. Dead cell in each of the house batteries. Off to Sam's for 2 new 27 series Deep Cycle batteries. $ 156.00 ka-ching. The Silver Hornet now has a deep throaty voice, wheels standing tall, bright lights, and Plenty of propane to weather the storm.
I am bushed from running around trying to get it all done today! I think I see light at the end of the tunnel. Just hope its not a locomotive about to run over my A**.
Mike
Old 03-20-2010, 01:02 AM   #58
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdallas View Post
Come on Andy! Anybody can buy a replacement part.
Don't bet on it for older Airstreams.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 10:55 AM   #59
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Jamestown , Kentucky
Hehehe, Or machine one ????
John H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 11:19 AM   #60
Kmpro

Currently Looking...