Old 02-17-2010, 06:24 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Mike,

Sounds like you're making progress. I'm guessing its a little warmer where you are that where we are . Our 310 & the Argosy both still have ice and snow on them so its going to be a while before I have the opportunity to work on either.

I know what you mean about someone fixin it compared to actually repairing it. Both of ours have had those issues, the Argosy more so than the 310. Probably cause its 10 years older.

Brad

bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 09:59 PM   #16
Kmpro

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Lubbock , Texas
Wink 1984 310 Refurbish to former Glory

Brad:
I had some more warm weather today and made some real headway. Rear airbag system checked out, tightened some fittings and viola! leaks fixed. Still got a prob with water inside the storage drawer under the refer. Refer is not on, and icemaker is off too. Still I have water in the storage drawer on the curbside. Any suggestions? Got all the batteries serviced, cables and posts cleaned coated with dielectric grease and all grounds cleaned and tightened. Pulled the doghouse and inspected engine compartment. Yep Mr. Fixit had been there too. Some messes to clean up there. Tomorrow I will tighten all the belts and top off PS fluid. On the horizon is LOF for the engine with new 2 quart filter from Baldwin. Change AT fluid and filter and change Differential Oil. Most important flush complete Brake system and install new DOT3 brake fluid. Install Brake Gard. Finally, change antifreeze coolant. All this and I haven't started on appearance yet. Gonna get me a part-time job at nite holding up 7-11 stores to have enough bucks to keep the Silver Queen going.

Mike

Old 02-18-2010, 06:31 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmpro View Post
Brad:
I had some more warm weather today and made some real headway. Rear airbag system checked out, tightened some fittings and viola! leaks fixed. Still got a prob with water inside the storage drawer under the refer. Refer is not on, and icemaker is off too. Still I have water in the storage drawer on the curbside. Any suggestions?
I'm assuming you haven't had any rain lately so it sounds like the only options are water pipes. Is water hooked to your coach right now? If so you might disconnect for a while and make sure the water goes away. If it does at least you know the cause. To my knowledge there is only one water line going to that side of the coach and its for the ice maker. Sounds like you're going to have to track it down and see whats wrong with it.

Quote:
Tomorrow I will tighten all the belts and top off PS fluid.
Just a suggestion, I started packing along spare power steering hoses. The motorhome version is not always available at the local auto parts store. They are not expensive and take up very little space so the piece of mind is worth it to me. I'm fairly certain if I absolutely had to I could probably replace it along side the road although I wouldn't really wan to.

Quote:
Install Brake Gard.
What is Brake Gard?
Old 02-18-2010, 09:23 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Quote:
Most important flush complete Brake system and install new DOT3 brake fluid. Install Brake Gard. ...

Mike
Mike, I wonder if you want to consider DOT4 brake fluid. My understanding is that DOT4 has a higher boiling point than DOT3 but unlike DOT5 does not require that you replace all rubber parts.

Like Brad, I'd love to know about 'Brake Gard'.

Guy

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 09:26 AM   #19
Kmpro

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Lubbock , Texas
Thumbs up 1984 310 Refurbish to former Glory

Brad:
I became familiar with Brake Gard several years ago with a 33 foot Southwind on an extended P-30 chassis. BG claim is to cut down stopping distance from 60 MPH stop without BG, 305 feet. With BG 195 feet if memory serves me right. I installed one on and I couldn't believe the difference. Less pedal pressure, better stopping, more like ABS brakes. At the time, ABS brakes were unheard of. In any case, much better brakes on a P-30 than I had ever experienced. Later on installed BG on a Ford chassis with even more dramatic results. Used the Brake Gard on cars and MO/Hos with hydraulic brakes since. Even improved the brakes on my Honda Accord. Never leave home without it.
No water in or on coach pipes since no heat so far. That's what has me puzzled.

Mike
Old 02-18-2010, 10:18 PM   #20
Kmpro

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Lubbock , Texas
Question 1984 310 Refurbish to former Glory

Update on the day today. Still looking for the leak that fills curbside storage drawer with water. No water in M/H so it' s not in the on board water. Could see no evidence of where it came from, so I removed the drawer and decided to take off the vinyl trim to check it out. Looks suspicious, but still looking.
Frige and furnace came in on the motor freight, so I deferred to putting in the furnace instead of working on the water leak. Takes forever to get the furnace put back in when you don't have the tools you are used too. I'll keep on hacking away till I get it done. Didn't get the belts tightened due to parts chasing bulbs and sealant etc. Time consuming is what you call parts chasing in the real world. Hope for a better day tomorrow.

Mike
Old 02-19-2010, 07:42 PM   #21
Kmpro

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Lubbock , Texas
Smile 1984 310 Refurbish to former Glory

Today' s update.
Furnace installed and tested. 4000 BTUs makes a heckava difference. 34000 BTU furnace is same size as 30000 but will toast your buns in the Silver Queen. Removed old Refrigerator and installed new 2820 Dometic which is two inches shorter than the RM 1303 as originally equipped. Not the end of the world. What a great deal! We have heat and can store food.
Tomorrow we check out the water system and drains, plus tighten belts on the engine and check engine systems. Next week, I am going to the exhaust shop to get all the leaks plugged. Then maybe we get to do something on appearance issues.

Mike
Old 02-22-2010, 11:12 AM   #22
Kmpro

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Lubbock , Texas
Thumbs up 1984 310 Refurbish to former Glory

Mystery solved! Water leak into drawer comes from poorly winterized shower control. So far, we've struck water in two places. Leak from shower last nite, and apparently I did not tighten the toilet fresh water connection enough either. The wet/dry vac is getting a work out needless to say. With city water on every thing that can leak has wet the carpet. I hate the feel of water squishing between my toes in various places. Water leaks are a bummer!

Anybody know of a good source for CO/LPG leak detectors? Trying to practice safety first. Looking for a combination unit if available.

Lots of work taking vent screens down and cleaning them. The 25 years of no TLC os not easy to catch up in a couple of weeks.

Mike
Old 02-22-2010, 06:49 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Mystery solved! Water leak into drawer comes from poorly winterized shower control. So far, we've struck water in two places. Leak from shower last nite, and apparently I did not tighten the toilet fresh water connection enough either. The wet/dry vac is getting a work out needless to say. With city water on every thing that can leak has wet the carpet. I hate the feel of water squishing between my toes in various places. Water leaks are a bummer!

Anybody know of a good source for CO/LPG leak detectors? Trying to practice safety first. Looking for a combination unit if available.

Lots of work taking vent screens down and cleaning them. The 25 years of no TLC os not easy to catch up in a couple of weeks.

Mike
Great! At least you know the source. Do you have weather stripping on the lids?

I used some high density black 1/2" x 1/2" foam rubber when I sealed mine a few years ago. The passenger side stays nice and dry all the time. However when I opened the drivers side yesterday I found everything inside covered with condensation. I'm not sure just how it got in there yet. I'm also not sure if the drivers side has the drain/vent holes in it like the passenger side does. guess I've got some work to do .

Brad
Old 02-22-2010, 10:38 PM   #24
Kmpro

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Lubbock , Texas
Talking 1984 310 Refurbish to former Glory

Turns out the leak was not the shower after all. More repairs done by FO Mr. Fixit. Water line cross threaded on Ice Maker was the culprit. Pulled up the carpet to dry it and cut out water soaked carpet pad. Will replace the pad with new to dry it all out. Snowing like a big dog here tonite, so I won't be doing any outside work tomorrow. Plenty to work on inside anyway. Ordered the CO/LPG Leak Detector from Inland RV.
Brad, I ordered the screens and vent gaskets from Inland to seal up the roof plus seals and weatherstrips to seal the Driver and Passenger windows. Man, have I got a lot work to do on the Silver Queen or what?

Mike
Old 02-24-2010, 11:05 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Turns out the leak was not the shower after all. More repairs done by FO Mr. Fixit. Water line cross threaded on Ice Maker was the culprit.
Have you tried using your ice maker yet? Have any problems getting the cross threading fixed?

When we first got ours I tried ours and nothing happened. As yet I still haven't had time to look into what the problem is. We really do want to get it working....someday .

[quoteBrad, I ordered the screens and vent gaskets from Inland to seal up the roof plus seals and weatherstrips to seal the Driver and Passenger windows. Man, have I got a lot work to do on the Silver Queen or what? [/QUOTE]

I've got all the components also. Again its one of those, when I have time time deals. I planned on doing them this winter but to many other things happening to have that happen. Maybe this spring .

Keep us posted on your window progress and take LOTS of pictures for us!

Brad
Old 02-25-2010, 12:26 AM   #26
Kmpro

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Lubbock , Texas
Talking 1984 310 Refurbish to former Glory

The last couple of days reminds me of a Keystone Kops movie. The water leak in the bath turned out to be tha Qest shutoff valve on the toilet rather than my connection. So I pulled the toilet to dry carpet etc. Bad move. Mildew under carpet. Valve apparently leaked before and FO did not dry up the mess. So, I pulled up the carpet in the bath, hall, and kitchen to check for mold and mildew. I should have left well enough alone. Same condition in hall and in front of sink area. 50/50 Clorox to kill the mold, then encapsulate it with more chemicals. My wife decided to change from carpet to plank flooring in bath, hall and in kitchen. Just what I need. Oh well, just a few added hours to the refurb.

Changed the module in the Hot water heater and now we have hot water! Progress seems pretty slow. Tested water system again and this time no leaks! Woohoo! Replaced fresh water pump with new ShurFlo and we now have a self-contained 310 again. Life is getting better.

Mike
Old 02-26-2010, 12:17 AM   #27
Kmpro

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Lubbock , Texas
Arrow 1984 310 Refurbish to former Glory

Two steps forward, three back! Carpet in bath, hall, and kitchen too much mildew for me. So today I went to Lowe's for plank flooring in those areas. Laying flooring in a bath is plenty tough due to the small space. My stainless steel and titanium knees don't like this being down on knees. Plank floor is easy to clean and keep, so my wife says it's worth the effort. Funny. this seems to be more my effort than hers.

More water leaks from Qest fittings. What a bummer! Gad I hate water leaks. New module in the water heater worked one time then went South. You'd think for $ 159 it would heat water more than once. I'm not sure solid state technology is such a bargain. Then I remember trying to light the water heater in our 1963 Overlander in a high wind, and maybe DSI is worth it.

Tomorrow the driver's seat goes to the Trim Shop to replace buttons that have lost covers. Shower drain is on the agenda for tomorrow too. Broken trap puts grey water on the ground, and I'm sure the neighbor in a park would object. In addition to all the above I have to finish the installation of the floor. Keeping Busy.

Mike
Old 02-26-2010, 09:33 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
For anyone doing a floating floor for the first time I would suggest starting forward and working back. This will let you get used to fitting all the pieces together and trimming where required. Save the hard part until you've accomplished the learning curve and your finished product will be much better.
Having just done this I would also suggest a coping saw or at worst a hack saw to do the close trim work.as some of the cuts will never see a shoe mold to hide your sins.
As to clean up I can say that a broom beats a vacuum any day. It's worth the hard work.

Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote