Old 01-18-2010, 02:29 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1981 24' Airstream 240
96703 , California
1983 310 Rear Chassis P-32 springs and hangers

I have a 1983 310 an the rear end suspension blew apart. I am going to delete the air ride system and go to a heavy duty long spring suspension. Does anyone have any parts that would work, specifically the spring hangers and heavy duty springs? Or is there another system that is better?

thanks

Be the change you wish to see
scotdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 03:17 PM   #2
Commercial Member

2014 23' FB International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Airslide
Hmm. This is an interesting thread. I am curious about the replys.

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 07:46 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Any good spring shop should be able to supply the springs and shackles. The spring hangers might be a little more difficult. I would guess they are obsolete but maybe not. A hanger from a later chassis may work.

My question is why? New air bags are readily available and so is the valve if needed. Air ride systems are pretty straight forward and very dependable. Most of the over the road trucks run air ride. If it didn't work the trucking industry wouldn't use it.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:30 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1981 24' Airstream 240
96703 , California
Well, the main suspension tube that the bags sat on broke and I need to replace the whole rear cross member and bags, and the valve has not worked correctly due I think to the fact that the rear is sagging so bad that it exceeded the actuating arms ability to operate. To replace the cross bar and put in new bags (at $140 each) is with some new bushings on the assembly runs about $1800 and that does not address the fact that the rear sagged, which I believe is a spring issue. So I asked about putting in a regular heavy duty rear spring suspension (which parts are available) and it was going to run about the same price and I would have a heavy duty spring suspension. The fact that the springs were altered to accommodate the air bags I believe was the cause of the spring failure and eventually the air bag failure. I just want to ride level!

Thanks

Old 01-19-2010, 05:00 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Without pictures this is only a guess but from your description I would say your air system has been inoperative for many miles. The fact that the rear end was "sagging" indicates that there was insufficient or no air in the bags. This allowed the lower cross member to bang against the upper cross member with every bump that you drove over. There are parallel plates dropping from the upper cross member and matching plates pointing up from the lower cross member. They are connected by a horizontal dog bone shaped bar that keeps the system aligned under the coach. With no air in the bags these alignment pieces beat against each other until something breaks.

The valve may have failed or was simply out of adjustment. More likely the valve wasn't getting air which caused the rear to sag. Was the compressor running and more important was the check valve plugged. This can and does happen. The tank needs to be drained frequently so that moisture does not accumulate and cause rust inside the tank. This accumulation is what plugs the check valve.

The fuse for the compressor is in an impossible location under the dash. Many including myself have rewired the compressor with heavier wiring from the battery through a relay to the compressor. This takes the heavy load off the switch and fuse up front and provides a better electrical supply to the compressor.

You mention "heavy duty" leaf springs. The springs for your coach are designed to carry the gross weight that the axle is designed to carry. The air system is designed to carry that same weight. If you install a heavier duty spring to carry the same load all you will do is get a harsher ride. That will shake you and everything including the coach apart.

Air ride systems are pretty simple and once they are set up and working correctly they are very dependable and ride much nicer than leaf springs. That is why all the larger coaches and the trucking industry uses them.

Good luck.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:30 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1981 24' Airstream 240
96703 , California
compressor?

did the 1983 come with a compressor and if so where is it? I was told that the air tank which was for the self leveling system needed refilled periodically, but a compressor would be much better, is there one on board? I bought the coach knowing nothing about the air bags, and drove across country without it thus banging the heck out of the cross bar I am sure. Once I had the bags filled the rear came up some, but not as much as the front which I had replaced the springs and air bags, a much better ride up front for sure. The shop in Sacramento is going to replace the rear bag with a different Firestone bag, because when the bar blew out the bottoms of the bags blew out and we don't have the parts anymore, they told me Firestone won't sell the parts separately even thought the bags are still good. Is there somewhere else to find those? Where would the compressor be?

Thanks for all the help, I will steer away from the stiffer ride, because she has already taken enough of a beating.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:16 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Sierra Vista , United States
We have a compressor on our 81 280. Believe it is new and replaced the orignal but the rest of the system was already setup for it. The original air suspension can certainly use improvement but I would not junk it.
-Ken
Old 01-19-2010, 10:33 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
On my 84 310 the compressor is located in the streetside rear compartment. Where the shore power cord reel is located.

Brad (Bkhaler) has a PDF of the manual for his 310. There is a link to it in this post: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f311...tml#post784388.

I'm not sure that the 83 was the same but it is a place to start.

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 01:27 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
If you found the tank in the rear street side compartment, at least it is on my coach, the compressor should be right behind it. There should be an air gauge and switch on the dash to the lower Right side of the steering column. The outfit that built the system is American Carrier Systems located in Fresno, CA. Phone is (800) 344-2174. I talked to them last year and they had all the stuff for your air suspension.

I replaced my compressor with a new continuous duty Viair unit. I am in shock at how fast it fills the system compared to the old compressor. Viair is located in San Diego I think. Their phone is (949)585-0011. The compressor is a model 330C-IG p/n 33050-12V.

Good luck
Old 01-19-2010, 02:13 PM   #10
Full Timers/Diesel power.

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
The air suspension was junk, the compressor was under-powered, the 40-60 switch was stupid. We had a company that deals with Fire Dept.rigs re-build the entire system. Cost lottsa, but I got air. Never would I consider getting rid of the bag system; just needs to be brought up to modern standards.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3189.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	94362  
Old 01-19-2010, 02:27 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1981 24' Airstream 240
96703 , California
I don't think I have a compressor on board, but there was something in the electric chord compartment and I will check that out, thanks for the info. The tank is under the vehicle in the center. I will check with the american carrier system

any luck on the original air bags parts or if they are available?

Old 01-19-2010, 02:34 PM   #12

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
You should have a compressor under the roadside rear bed. Air bags are no problem to get, pricey, though.
That's a P-30 chassis you have.
Old 01-19-2010, 04:25 PM   #13
Commercial Member

2014 23' FB International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Airslide
Funny. Two different threads talking about the same stuff today. Two weeks ago I never even looked at a thread pertaining to a Moho.. now Im livin it... LOL

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 04:48 PM   #14

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airslide View Post
Funny. Two different threads talking about the same stuff today. Two weeks ago I never even looked at a thread pertaining to a Moho.. now Im livin it... LOL

Vinnie
Ho ho, by the time this thread (and the other) is over, you'll know more about air bags than anyone in their right mind should know.