Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-22-2015, 02:28 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream 310
Grants Pass , Oregon
1982 310 Questions with Pictures

Hello Airstreamers!

I am a newbie among your ranks, having recently purchased this beauty from a forum member. My husband and I drove it across country from Tennessee to Southern Oregon last month. Wow! What an adventure.

I have attached pictures of things I have questions on with the hope that your hard won knowledge can help keep me from tearing my hair out in frustration

Thank you for taking the time to look and I hope I can get some answers here! There will no doubt be tons more questions from me.

Sincerely,
KJ

Anyone know where I can get another front grill and headlight surround for the passenger side? Airstream Supply shows one on their website but in reality...they don't have it.

What is this thing supposed to be? It has snaps inside, but is otherwise empty. I made it into a pretty cork board with new materials, but have no idea of its original purpose. Can someone enlighten me?

This is the rear A/C unit. The "filter" looks to be something like you'd put in the side of a swamp cooler and it is full of fluff and fuzz and dust. Where might I find a replacement and is there something better than what is already in there?

How do I get these light covers off?

How do I remove the window screens for repair and cleaning?

Any tips on repairing these cracks? They are everywhere!

The rear egress window has water between the panes and I would love to replace it or repair it. Thoughts and/or sources for a new one?

kjcurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 02:55 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Congrats on your new coach!

The compartment below the cork board, next to the door, is a "glove" box. That's what I use it for. Cut a couple pieces of fabric and attend snaps for the two sides. If no one beats me to it, I will make a pattern of mine the next time I visit the MH (might be awhile).

The filters in the rood A/C can be removed, cleaned and reused. You can easily find replacements as well.

How do you get the light covers off? Very carefully so you don't break them! I've had all of mine off to clean out the bugs. Do it on a warm day, turn the lights on to warm up the plastic. I start by squeezing both sides inward at the center of the lens. Squeeze and pull down at the center. Once you have a bit of the center out, start working one side from the center to the end. The ends are the hardest to get out, but with the center pulled out, once you get to the end you should be able to twist and squeeze (very carefully) to get the end out.
Old 10-22-2015, 03:43 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Airstream Supply is the only place Ive seen advertising the headlight surround. Is yours cracked or missing? I would do my best to save and repair if at all possible, salvage parts are hard to find.

Dean gave you the skinny on the interior light lens. They WILL come out but its an adventure. I ended up changing mine all together with LED puck lights and made some panels.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1445549741.061744.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	250845

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1445549775.258123.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	250846

The "glove box" is kinda strange, it can carry a large Atlas or.........maybe your favorite print.

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1445550089.581491.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	250847.

Congrats on your new rig. We have the same make n model though mine is the diesel. Have fun!!!!!

Mike

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 04:29 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
I think Andy at Inland RV says that you can slightly bend the screen frame enough to remove it from its channel to do screen repairs. I have not tried it, scares me that I may ruin the frame by over bending and creasing it. Ive got one screen in the rear side window that is completely missing so one of these days I guess Ill give that method a shot. Maybe two sets of hands would help, dunno yet. Then again, YOU could try it and let us all know how it went!

mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 04:51 PM   #5
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayco View Post
I think Andy at Inland RV says that you can slightly bend the screen frame enough to remove it from its channel to do screen repairs. I have not tried it, scares me that I may ruin the frame by over bending and creasing it. Ive got one screen in the rear side window that is completely missing so one of these days I guess Ill give that method a shot. Maybe two sets of hands would help, dunno yet. Then again, YOU could try it and let us all know how it went!

A safer way is to remove the stationary window on the outside and the remove the 2 grey plastic sliders by finding the little screws. A detailed description is here:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f311...ce-136024.html
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 04:55 PM   #6
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
and welcome aboard and congratulations on your 310 and your successful journey back home. I believe i know the forum member you purchased this well loved 310 from and we will miss him and his contributions a lot.
AIR #13
Old 10-22-2015, 05:13 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream 310
Grants Pass , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy View Post
Congrats on your new coach!

The compartment below the cork board, next to the door, is a "glove" box. That's what I use it for. Cut a couple pieces of fabric and attend snaps for the two sides. If no one beats me to it, I will make a pattern of mine the next time I visit the MH (might be awhile).

The filters in the rood A/C can be removed, cleaned and reused. You can easily find replacements as well.

How do you get the light covers off? Very carefully so you don't break them! I've had all of mine off to clean out the bugs. Do it on a warm day, turn the lights on to warm up the plastic. I start by squeezing both sides inward at the center of the lens. Squeeze and pull down at the center. Once you have a bit of the center out, start working one side from the center to the end. The ends are the hardest to get out, but with the center pulled out, once you get to the end you should be able to twist and squeeze (very carefully) to get the end out.

Just the plastic part on the light? Not the metal frame it is in? I will pull off the A/C cover tonight and see if I can clean and salvage the filter in there. Thanks!
Old 10-22-2015, 05:23 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream 310
Grants Pass , Oregon
Maco: I read the post where you changed out your lights. Very nice.

PeterH: I will look into that link. The thing is, I've got some of that fuzzy stuff between the window gasket and the screen/window that has come un-glued and when ever I open the window the fuzzy stuff comes with. I poke it back in there with a bread knife but I'd really like to replace it and I'm pretty sure I need to be able to remove the screen for that. Thank you!

I am sure you all knew cesalie1: it was his detailed posts from three years of ownership that made me confident enough to buy "Penny" 3/4 of the way across the country and drive her home. He was a huge help on the road, with me calling and texting, asking all sorts of questions from: "is it supposed to run hot, what are the RPM's supposed to be, what is that strange beeping sound and is it normal for: this, that and the other thing!" Such a nice guy and extremely patient while explaining things

Thank you for all of your thoughtful and thorough answers.
KJ
Old 10-22-2015, 05:51 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Correct! Just squeeze the plastic lens. The metal trim stays in place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcurtis View Post
Just the plastic part on the light? Not the metal frame it is in? I will pull off the A/C cover tonight and see if I can clean and salvage the filter in there. Thanks!
Old 10-22-2015, 06:25 PM   #10
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Besides finding a new one ($$$), there are 3 options I know:
1. Live with it
2. Take the window frame complete apart, then separate the two glass panels and reassembling them without breaking any of the glass.
3. Break the inner glass and clean up the silicon mess and apply some high quality window film to make up for the loss of the double pane

I would be very interested in hearing other options
AIR #13
Old 10-22-2015, 07:50 PM   #11
Rivet Loser

La Ronge , Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH-Airstreamer View Post
Besides finding a new one ($$$), there are 3 options I know:
1. Live with it
2. Take the window frame complete apart, then separate the two glass panels and reassembling them without breaking any of the glass.
3. Break the inner glass and clean up the silicon mess and apply some high quality window film to make up for the loss of the double pane

I would be very interested in hearing other options
Just speculating here, not having ever looked at one of these units:

Could you open the window and then drill sideways between the two panes? If so, drill a hole on each side of the window, then apply an air line (with dried compressor air) and blow through for an hour or so. Then seal up the holes. Of course, if some silica could be poured into the gap for keeping the glass clear long term that would be great.

The cracks in the front grille and inside on the plastic look very repairable.... not worth spending big bucks on replacing. For the front grille, I would think that either fiberglass or epoxy or JB Weld behind, with a thin rod across each gap from behind in order to maintain the structure, then Bondo and paint on the front. For the plastic cracks, again probably fiberglass behind if you can remove the plastic, then epoxy and touch-up paint in front. You would have to have something structural like fiberglass or metal mesh in Bondo, or just strips cut from a tough plastic, to bridge each crack from behind. Color mixing kits for plastic repair are available from several sources.
Old 10-22-2015, 08:15 PM   #12
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punch View Post
Just speculating here, not having ever looked at one of these units:

Could you open the window and then drill sideways between the two panes? If so, drill a hole on each side of the window, then apply an air line (with dried compressor air) and blow through for an hour or so. Then seal up the holes. Of course, if some silica could be poured into the gap for keeping the glass clear long term that would be great.
Good thinking, but the problem is other small leaks that would let more moisture in.
I wrote "remove the silicon mess" in my post, but meant to say SILICA, because thats what Airstream put on the edges between the glass panels to do exactly what you suggested. But its not working.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	silica.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	250860  
AIR #13
Old 10-22-2015, 08:41 PM   #13
Rivet Loser

La Ronge , Saskatchewan
Quote:
Good thinking, but the problem is other small leaks that would let more moisture in.
I wrote "remove the silicon mess" in my post, but meant to say SILICA, because thats what Airstream put on the edges between the glass panels to do exactly what you suggested. But its not working.
OK, that makes things clearer. But since the leaks have to be at edges, then with the new caulks that are available I would think that a person could (as a final step) make the whole unit waterproof.

Probably a large amount of patience and various shapes of fine grinder on a Dremel tool will be necessary to clean up the corroded areas that are permitting the leaking before proceeding to the drying and sealing.

I must say that these little jobs are enjoyable to me, and you can really get into the whole Zen and the Art of Airstream Maintenance with a little project like that.
Old 10-22-2015, 08:47 PM   #14
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
OK, that makes things clearer. But since the leaks have to be at edges, then with the new caulks that are available I would think that a person could (as a final step) make the whole unit waterproof.

Probably a large amount of patience and various shapes of fine grinder on a Dremel tool will be necessary to clean up the corroded areas that are permitting the leaking before proceeding to the drying and sealing.

I must say that these little jobs are enjoyable to me, and you can really get into the whole Zen and the Art of Airstream Maintenance with a little project like that.
Sealing a double pane window like that would be the final step.
First you have clean the surfaces of the panes on the inside. Condensation left tracks, marks and cloudiness that only can be cleaned if you disassemble the unit.
AIR #13
Old 10-22-2015, 09:01 PM   #15
Rivet Loser

La Ronge , Saskatchewan
Quote:
Sealing a double pane window like that would be the final step.
First you have clean the surfaces of the panes on the inside. Condensation left tracks, marks and cloudiness that only can be cleaned if you disassemble the unit.
It probably comes down to our different climatic experiences! You are in a hot climate where condensation can turn nasty quickly, and I am in a cold climate where condensation is usually no more than a little moisture.

The picture of KJ's window makes it look like a mild case with just a little and maybe quite recent condensation, and not the sort of major long term disfigurement that you are talking about Peter. I can see what you mean if there are tracks, maybe even algae and bacterial slime, in the air gap: then for sure there would be no alternative to dismantling. Maybe KJ could comment on how bad the condensation is.
Old 10-22-2015, 11:36 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream 310
Grants Pass , Oregon
Quote:
It probably comes down to our different climatic experiences! You are in a hot climate where condensation can turn nasty quickly, and I am in a cold climate where condensation is usually no more than a little moisture.

The picture of KJ's window makes it look like a mild case with just a little and maybe quite recent condensation, and not the sort of major long term disfigurement that you are talking about Peter. I can see what you mean if there are tracks, maybe even algae and bacterial slime, in the air gap: then for sure there would be no alternative to dismantling. Maybe KJ could comment on how bad the condensation is.
Silica crystals! I was wondering what those were...garnets or rubies maybe? Ha Ha

Actually 3 windows have failed: bathroom, entry door and the big one in the back. I can live with the two small ones as I'm not in the habit of looking out of those, but the effect of the panoramic stateroom is rather diminished with that big foggy wet spot in the middle!

This coach came from "steamy hot" Tennessee and is now in "all 4 seasons" southern Oregon. I dread the thought of algae growing in there! The fog is pretty much confined to the very center of the window, with condensation drips ever present tracking though the fine film of dust or what ever is between those panes of glass. The whole thing just looks dirty.

I was thinking I could go down to the local auto glass shop and have a new tempered glass window made and fitted.

In the event we do decide to just put out the cash and purchase another...how would I go about doing that?

OFF TOPIC: How do I grab only pieces of a message to quote, instead of the whole thing? Thanks!
Old 10-23-2015, 05:47 AM   #17
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Silica crystals! I was wondering what those were...garnets or rubies maybe? Ha Ha

Actually 3 windows have failed: bathroom, entry door and the big one in the back. I can live with the two small ones as I'm not in the habit of looking out of those, but the effect of the panoramic stateroom is rather diminished with that big foggy wet spot in the middle!

This coach came from "steamy hot" Tennessee and is now in "all 4 seasons" southern Oregon. I dread the thought of algae growing in there! The fog is pretty much confined to the very center of the window, with condensation drips ever present tracking though the fine film of dust or what ever is between those panes of glass. The whole thing just looks dirty.

I was thinking I could go down to the local auto glass shop and have a new tempered glass window made and fitted.

In the event we do decide to just put out the cash and purchase another...how would I go about doing that?

OFF TOPIC: How do I grab only pieces of a message to quote, instead of the whole thing? Thanks!
Actually they are Garnets and Rubies, I was just trying to keep Punch away from us with his drill and dremel tool.
I am not sure if that frame would support a normal tempered glass, Lexan appears to be the choice of replacement.
There are in length articles about the issue, since Airstream was so foolish to put film inside of these double pane windows in the 70's
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f454...ilm-37422.html
AIR #13
Old 10-23-2015, 05:54 AM   #18
Rivet Loser

La Ronge , Saskatchewan
Quote:

Then it sounds as if Peter is right (he's annoying that way) and you'll have to separate the panes. I would take it to a professional, who might have a simple solution. Of course, if a guy could figure out how they were assembled in the first place, then he might be able to reverse the process.......... I love my Dremel.
Old 10-23-2015, 10:36 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
calgary , alberta
Hi to all! The great white north is having a beautiful fall ! Colors unbelievable, No snow at all not even freezing! I bought 1985 310 for parts I have the grill and both light bezels in good shape also windows rear and the door window I think is sold/ How are you Keyair? Jonathan
jhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 03:54 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream 310
Grants Pass , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhenry View Post
Hi to all! The great white north is having a beautiful fall ! Colors unbelievable, No snow at all not even freezing! I bought 1985 310 for parts I have the grill and both light bezels in good shape also windows rear and the door window I think is sold/ How are you Keyair? Jonathan
We are definitely interested in the grill and light bezels. Have you got someone interested in the bathroom window? I washed windows inside and out today, and the bathroom window is by far the worst one. Could you PM me with prices and such? Then...how do we get them from Alberta, Canada to Southern Oregon?

Thanks,
KJ