Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-21-2007, 10:44 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1982 28' Airstream 280
Lubbock , Texas
1982, 28', Excella motorhome

We have just purchased a 1982, 28', gas engine, Excella motor home and we need lots of help. This is our first motor home so we are true "newbies". The engine and basic components seem to be working fine, but we need to update the interior. The bathroom is especially in need. Can you find shower stall and sink cabinet replacements that will fit? New pull out sofa/bed? What can you do to dress up the ugly plastic molding? Any and all info will be greatly appreciated.
dweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 11:21 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Let me be the first to say welcome! You've got the perfect length AS. I've replaced only the toilet in my unit. And it never had a shower so I'm of little help in these regards. I'm certain folks will chime in though.
If you have any photos of the areas you're concerned about I'd post them for better definition of questions posed.
Your local AS dealer, Inland RV, or VAC will be of great help for your interior needs.
Good luck with your restoration. Post some photos so we can see your great find. We love pictures, and of course details, details. How many miles, etc. and the story of how you picked this unit.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 03:30 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1982 28' Airstream 280
Lubbock , Texas
Thanks so much for your reply. We have lots of pictures, so I'll work on getting them posted. This forum stuff is new to me. It is actually a very funny story how we came by this purchase. It's my husband's funny story so I think I'll see if I can get him to tell it.
On the subject of potty - what did you replace yours with?
dweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 06:30 AM   #4
IPM
1996 clipper gas 34'

Blue Springs , Missouri
I've thought about painting my rear bathroom white with urethane paint. Thought but have not done. If it ain't broke maybe don't mess with it. Use it and enjoy? I don't know of any drop in replacement units. Let us know if U find something.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:03 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1979 28' Airstream Excella 28
southwestern , Michigan
hi and welcome. glad you joined us and congratulations on your "excella" choice. we have a 1979 28' excella motorhome and we love it! when you get some pictures posted we can see what you want to do and what needs to be done and try to help you wih suggestions. i, also, have toyed with the idea of painting the interior, but i also want to keep her as original as possible, so don't know if i will or not. what layout do you have? we have the center bath model. since yours is the same length, you might want to check out the pictures we have posted of ours. just go to the member's photos page and go to "a" and click on airstreamers. will look forward to hearing of your adventures and seeing pictures. welcome, friend!
airstreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 07:15 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
DWeaver, I replaced my head with a Bravura model bought and installed at Camping World. But I would opt for a china bowl if doing it again. Don't buy one without checking for fit first. This is the only reason I'd have it installed by the dealer selling it.... to make sure it fits.
Looking forward to seeing your rig soon.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 08:00 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Hi Dweaver and welcome. I have a 79 Excella 28' and love it. Mine has the split center bath. I replaced the toilet with a china. I'll check the model and get back to you. I repainted the sink counter with por 21 and it worked fine. In the process of replacing the shower fixtures. I removed the couch (it's in great shape and available) with a new modern fold out from Eurway. Also, the marble floor has been replaced with bamboo and the rear twins changed to one huge bed. Will return as soon as I have the toilet info. joe
joewinfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 04:11 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Found my invoice from rvexit.com. I installed a Thetford Stylelite #83-1635 and it fit fine in my 79 split center bath. I'm such a dummy, the paint I used on the plastic in the bath was por 15 not por 20. joe
joewinfield is offline   Reply With Quote