Old 09-02-2012, 10:31 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1979 24' Airstream Excella 24
Monterey , California
Thanks, I am excited about this new adventure. I have never driven a MH, so I suspect the first trip will feel like the day I got my drivers license. Yeah Baby - Freedom!
As to the AAA vs GS, I have been with AAA for decades, but if they cant match the service of GS I would change. I will research this more. AAA insures all my vehicles as well as the road service, so it would take a lot to make me change right now.
I wonder what percentage of MH users have had to use road service at some point in their travels.

Old 09-02-2012, 10:51 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Honokaa , Hawaii
I think that the percentage probably climbs in direct proportion to the age of the vehicle. We bought our 1984 310 off of a Craigslist ad and what turned out to be a not-quite-correct assertion that it was roadworthy. Flew into Denver, paid for it, drove off with roadside assistance as part of our auto policy. Limped into Vegas where we needed a tow. The insurance company sent the low bidder, an undersized truck and driver who damaged the vehicle and left it undriveable even after a mechanic got the motor running again (the driver knocked a driveshaft carrier bearing out of its mount when he reassembled the shaft). Got GS before the next trip, when we immediately needed a tow again. GS sent the right people and stuff. I am more confident in the 310 now after having driven it from coast to coast, but I am keeping GS in addition to the auto policy. They know RV's.

Old 09-03-2012, 07:18 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Facts are facts...towing an AS moho on anything but a flatbed risks bonnet damage...I may have over-supervised my towing, but it's MY rig...granted, the tow guy may be contracted by several 'service' companies, but as I said...one guy, one opinion...mine is to opt for flatbed, and my reasons are fairly clear...where the hook-up is made, and this varies on the individual, can make a HUGE difference...Dan and I choose to disagree, and that's part of what this forums is about...choices...I'd still go with the flatbed...mike
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:58 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Welcome to the very small 24' MH Club

We have a 1982 24' Motorhome that we purchased in Florida and trailered it to California.....took about 3 months to get her smogged (we had to put all the smog stuff back on that Florida took off). And we have been doing a few things to her to make her cleaner.....I am going to post on my thread....thanks to Keyair's reminder.....anyway welcome and I can't wait to see the pictures. Our mechanic said it was a good thing that we had the work we did before we took her on a long voyage.....lots of new stuff.....think it is on our thread....Need to get a MH from FL to CA .....paula
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1968 28'Ambassador
2011 GMC Yukon Denali
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:25 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
I found this old picture which is not the best but you can see there is nothing anywhere near the coach sheet metal or plastic.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Breakless Day Sept 2001 037.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	240.4 KB
ID:	167394

The nylon straps, not installed yet, go over the tire to secure it to the wheel lift. Again I wouldn't advise this for a three axle rig like Mike's because of the tag axle being overloaded.

Sorry Chris to be discussing all the towing stuff as I hope you never need to tow you Airstream but in the event you do may it will help.

Cheers, Dan
Old 09-03-2012, 10:05 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Check out GS

The issue with AAA is that coverage varies by state.....it is not nationwide.....you might have super coverage in one state and not in another. Good Sam knows what to do with RV's..they aren't surprised when they arrive to find you have an RV....it is competitive....just no maps......we happen to have both....AAA for cars and GS for RV and cars....(GS covers all your vehicles for one price)..paula
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1968 28'Ambassador
2011 GMC Yukon Denali
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:11 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
There's an Interstate map book that lists most places by convenience, parking, and overnight acceptance...also includes quickie in-n-out fast-fooders, and some really decent diners...we have found it to be a great resource...Bob(Robert) has amassed an amazing list of cheap-to-freebie lists, and we have begun to slowly work our way thru them...I apologize for not blogging, as chatting is one of my releases, but things happen, memory grows shorter, and the master list for access(yep, even to my own website) is in an envelope 1154 miles away...hopefully, GypsyChris(creator of our website) will return me to active status in the near future...I have a wallet with my ID, but a memory less conditioned than the splaying wallet...don't be afraid to see me in your rear-view mirror, but if I get close, ya might want to move over and give me senior room...m

We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote