Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Argosy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-08-2012, 07:33 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Wiper arm support brackets

My 74 Argosy 20' motorhome has support brackets under each of the wiper arms. I have not yet ran the wiper motors to see what happens (kind of afraid to!) so I can't say what really happens when the arms contact the brackets.

I've looked at pictures of other Argosy motorhomes and haven't seen these before.

So my question is do any other Argosy motorhomes have these support brackets installed?

Thanks!

Brad

Click image for larger version

Name:	74-argosy-driver-wiper-support.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	173.9 KB
ID:	165223Click image for larger version

Name:	74-argosy-pass-wiper-support.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	163.3 KB
ID:	165224
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:59 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Assuming they're factory-original and not some kind of aftermarket add-on, if things work correctly, the wiper arms only make contact with the support brackets when you switch the wipers off. When the wipers are switched on, they should reverse direction before making contact.

Of course, they're old, and like many of us who are old, they may have forgotten what they're supposed to do.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:32 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Assuming they're factory-original and not some kind of aftermarket add-on, if things work correctly, the wiper arms only make contact with the support brackets when you switch the wipers off. When the wipers are switched on, they should reverse direction before making contact.
I may just have to drag a battery out to the motorhome and give it a test this weekend. I've been looking at those brackets for almost 5 years so I guess it's time to see if they really do anything

Quote:
Of course, they're old, and like many of us who are old, they may have forgotten what they're supposed to do.
I resemble that remark

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
Old 08-08-2012, 11:54 AM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
I may just have to drag a battery out to the motorhome and give it a test this weekend. I've been looking at those brackets for almost 5 years so I guess it's time to see if they really do anything.
If it has been five years, then before you start your wipers, change the wiper blades! If the blades aren't in good condition, you could end up with the wiper arms scratching your windshield. That would be a lot worse than having brackets that don't seem to do anything.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:49 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
That's a good point. I should be able to borrow the wiper blades from our 310 for the test. Now if I can just find the time this weekend...

Brad
Old 08-10-2012, 01:20 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
The drive link on the wiper motor gearbox travels in a circular path. The park position is simply where the motor stops so that the blade is at the bottom of it's travel at the base of the windshield. If the linkage was tight it would bang your supports on every sweep because the travel path never changes. In reality there is so much flex in the system that even the amount of water on the wind shield will change the sweep of the wiper arm. On intermittent during a light drizzle the friction will shorten the sweep by a couple of inches. Also when it's dry a truck going the opposite direction on a two lane road at 60 mph will actually move the blades up the windshield an inch or two.

Bottom line if you drive it in much rain I think you would want to remove the brackets.

Cheers, Dan
Smartstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 08:28 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
I think that bracket is a one-off owner modification! None of the Argosy 20' units in my archives have that support.

I have a similar issue with reflectors on my unit. I am going to remove them prior to painting to return it to the original look.
ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:38 PM   #8
MrJ
3 Rivet Member

1976 28' Argosy 28
Dallas , Texas
I don't have that on my MH.. Never seen that.. Don't see why you would need it.
MrJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:55 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Well, I've not had time to test the wipers on the Argosy. I've been spending to much time dismantling the 345. I'm hoping in about a month the 345 will be gone and I can concentrate on more important issues, like doing some 310 upgrades and Argosy checkouts.

I agree, those wiper arm support brackets shouldn't be there but whoever installed them did a nice job and they sure look like they were mass produced. I wonder what their original function in life was?

Brad