Old 09-16-2010, 06:30 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member
1985 32.5' Airstream 325
Lindsay , Ontario
Window seals and track replace

Has any body made a video on how to replace the window seals and the track that the windows slide in. I have to replace all of mine and I don't quite know how to start. Can the slide windows be removed to clean when the track is removed.

shepherd57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 07:13 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
There are a lot of posts on this subject. Chaplain Kent provided a lot of pictures and a good write-up. I have replaced the seals on one window so far and found that it was a lot easier than I was expecting.

Seals are available from various sources. I don't know if the Argosy motorhomes used the same bottom track guide that the Classic motorhomes use. If so those track guides are no longer available. My tracks were marginal but I think I can make due with what I have.

In a nutshell what you have to do is drill out the rivets on the aluminum trim frame that on the inside of the coach. Pry out the screens and then the windows. You might have to remove the bottom track guide and the top track guide before you can get the windows out. Once the windows are out you dig out the old window seal and then replace it with a new one using weather strip adhesive from 3M to glue the new seal in place.

I have yet to figure out how to do the little fuzzy dust strips but will get to that one of these years

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels, brake drums, windows & holding tanks left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 06:48 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member
1965 30' Sovereign
1975 26' Argosy 26
beaverton , Oregon
Just replaced mine in my 1975 argosy 26. No need to drill anything, PM me and I will give you my cell#. I can give you some good timesaving tips
1965 31ft Airstream Sovereign
1975 26ft Argosy Motorhome

Imagine the sight of them linked together!

gmehal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 08:20 PM   #4
1978 28' Argosy 28
Chicago , Illinois
Me too! Can we conference call?
angeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 10:24 AM   #5
Baltimore , Ontario
We also have a 1975 Argosy MH with seized windows. I would love to know how to at least remove the windows and clean the tracks. They seem to be intact but sticky and gummed up somehow. The windows still slide but not well.
Ellsworth Brian Toll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 09:48 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member
1977 24' Argosy 24
SW Florida , Florida
We ended up spraying our tracks with Liquid Wrench Silicone Spray; it works like a charm.
Elisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 03:44 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member
1977 20' Argosy 20
Arlington , Texas
If the windows are stuck, then the Silicon spray is a good lubricant sprayed into the fuzzy to release the Windows.

Overtime the fuzzy wears out and requires replacement and that can be done without drilling or removing anything but the sliding screen and the sliding glass. The fuzzy is called fuzzy schegle and is available from several sources. I have gotten mine from Andy's Inland RV in CA. It is purchased by the foot and they will help you figure out the length you need.

Attached is a picture of the fuzzy.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	164.0 KB
ID:	270223

The old fuzzy is pulled out and the new is pushed into the channel.

GWallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 03:51 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member
1977 20' Argosy 20
Arlington , Texas
With the screen and window removed, usually that is the proper time to replace the Vinyl lip seal around the window on the outside and the vertical vinyl lip seal in the center vertical bar. Amoung multiple sources Andy also has these available.

Attached is an exterior photo of the lip seals.

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	22
Size:	196.2 KB
ID:	270224

They also sell this by the foot and will assist in determining quantity.
Old 08-28-2016, 04:08 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member
1977 20' Argosy 20
Arlington , Texas
Attached is a photo from the inside of a 77 Argosy. For the Windows with screens there are two tracks with fuzzy. The two front side windows (driver and passenger) only have one track.

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	23
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	270225

With the screen or window free to slide in the track, close both the window and screen all of the way. Look very closely and there should be a section of the fuzzy at the top or bottom that can be removed. Removing that section then slide the screen or window into the section of the removed fuzzy. At that point the screen or window should be able to slide down into the track without the fuzzy. In that position the screen or window should be lowered down into the track just enough that the opposite side will come down out of the fuzzy and clear the metal part of the opposite track and installed fuzzy. Carefully tilt out the screen or glass to remove from the window. With the screen and window out, all of the old fuzzy can be replaced. Reverse to re-install the screen and window.

Do not force the glass if it gets stuck. With patience work out the jam and gently remove the glass.