Old 08-30-2006, 05:35 PM   #1
76 Silver Argosy

1975 26' Argosy 26
Fallbrook , Southern California
Send a message via Yahoo to abridges01
Wind screen sealing and veneer replacement

Hi Folks:

OK, we pick up our 'new' 1975 26' Argosy MH this weekend, and needless to say, we're pretty pumped.

There's a fair bit of work that needs to be done, though nothing terribly urgent, though the final inspection this weekend may reveal otherwise. There are some areas I know are in need of attention, and it is these which I could really benefit from you guys' experience. These areas include:

1. Wind screen leaks badly and has been badly 'gunked' in several areas, specifically at the top, should I consider replacing the gasket or is there another good, long term fix?

2. Onan 4.0BF 4KW generator has no output. Apparently it runs fine, but has no voltage output. I am new to the world of RV electrics, but quite content to pull the unit out and work on it if it is worth the effort, or are the advantage of newer (Honda seems a popular, if expensive, option) units so great I would be wasting my time?

3. Retrimming the interior: At the risk of being branded a heretic, we're not that bothered with sticking with the original wood veneer and fabric front on the lockers. Has anyone tried replacing the veneer with something a little easier on the eye such as the aluminum they use on the latest AS trailers? As you can see below, the previous owner has done a nice job with the upholstery, so we want to keep the 70's feel but replace the trim with something a little less tatty.

4. The bedroom in our unit is a twin setup and the Missus keeps telling me we need a double! I understand Argosy did make a double but I unsure how it would accommodate the generator as the genny fills the large cabinet between the twin beds (see image below), when you open the cupboard door, all you see is a wall of sheet aluminum. If I build up a sofa to the same height as the current unit, it will come to the bottom of the windows and the back board would cover part of the window, or is there some way I can reduce the height of the genny box (a new unit perhaps?) and remove the drawer on top of the cupboard as well to gain enough room to make a comfortable sofa/bed with backboard without blocking too much of the window.

This image shows a 26' rear double bedroom:

OK, I have many more weird and wacky questions, but that's enough for now. As ever, I really appreciate any help, guidance or sanity checks you can provide.

Cheers,

Andrew

Old 09-01-2006, 03:51 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Andrew, welcome to the forums! Nice looking unit. On the generator front have you got a plug type receptical? If so you can start there to see if the generator is actually putting out. Also look on the generator for circuit breakers... also check your main panel for a breaker. Do you have 120v when you plug in your shore power cord?
If the rubber of the windshield w/s are still supple they can be sealed. Drop in on your local auto glass outfit.
Let's see some more exterior photos!

Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 08:26 PM   #3
76 Silver Argosy

1975 26' Argosy 26
Thanks Glen, we're picking her (christened 'Ethyl' by previous owner) uo tomorrow and are really excited; wife's been out shopping for 70's retro bedding and accessories allweek while I've been on the road.

She's kind of unique in that a previous owner stripped and clear coated her (see below) so she looks like a genuine airstream (bound to pee off a few purists, but oh well) in all but the painted roof.

More to follow (photos and questions) after tomorrow.

Cheers,

Andrew
Old 09-01-2006, 08:50 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Andrew, I love the name! And as far as the purists go....@#$$ on 'em. My Airstream is painted. I just finished painting the roof high gloss white. Search Airstream One wears a white hat... It's great that you have a supportive wife and it sure seems like she's getting into it . I'm really wondering if the generator is not working or it's something silly like a breaker? Let's hope for the later.
I've watched a biker kick his bike for a longer time than neccesary and then have someone walk up and turn his kill switch to the run position.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Old 09-02-2006, 09:09 AM   #5
76 Silver Argosy

1975 26' Argosy 26
White hat

Thanks Glen:

That is interesting, especially given the Argosy's iron front and end roof panels and the fact that ours are peeling quite badly in places and I have yet to really test her AC. With the Argosy I'll have to take the paint line down lower as the end panels come right down to the front and rear windows.

How did you do the roof? I understand that there is no load bearing capacity so assume I'll have to rig up some scaffolding to access the very top.

Today's the day we pick her up and move her to her new home and I cannot wait!

Cheers,

Andrew
Old 09-02-2006, 12:34 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Andrew, the top job was done with a brush, with slow drying solvent added to the Interlux Brightside polyurethane. Also used an eight foot stepladder with padded top against the side. I'm almost six foot tall so could work the middle from each side without too much trouble. I'm putting off the third coat until the temps drop a bit.
You might consider painting the end caps chrome. Check out http://www.alsacorp.com/products/mir...a_prodinfo.htm
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Old 09-02-2006, 02:31 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by abridges01
How did you do the roof? I understand that there is no load bearing capacity so assume I'll have to rig up some scaffolding to access the very top.

Andrew
Andrew.

The roof will support at least 30 grown men, all at the same time, as per Airstream.

You can walk on the roof rearward of the front cap and forward of the rear cap.

The idea is that you can walk on it, just don't bounce around on it, or do the Irish Jig.

Andy
Old 09-04-2006, 09:52 AM   #8
76 Silver Argosy

1975 26' Argosy 26
Irish Jig?

Irish jig? Like I have time for dance lessons and the Argosy refurb!

Thanks Andy.

Andrew
Old 09-04-2006, 11:05 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by abridges01
Irish jig? Like I have time for dance lessons and the Argosy refurb!

Thanks Andy.

Andrew
You better get your rehab in "overdirive".

Your lovely family photo looks like they are ready to "hook em up, and head em out".

Andy