Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Argosy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-07-2013, 10:31 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1978 24' Argosy 24
Sunbury , Ohio
Where the heck is the shore water inlet?

As the risk of sounding like an idiot, I cannot find the shore water inlet on my 78 Argosy 24'. The manual sez "Underneath the left rear corner" or something like that. I've crawled under and can't see it anywhere. Am I blind, or is it hiding somewhere?
jfippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:38 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I don't know vintage....but isn't it inside the rear bumper compartment? Or do you have one?

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:44 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1978 24' Argosy 24
Sunbury , Ohio
I don't think there's a rear bumper compartment. Could it be behind the spare?
Old 08-07-2013, 10:48 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
If the plumbing has been redone by previous owners, it could be just about anywhere. I would start looking close to the water heater for any clues. If nothing is readily visible, can you access the plumbing from inside at the water heater and trace the pipe back from there?
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:58 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1978 24' Argosy 24
Sunbury , Ohio
I've replaced the water heater, and the lines to/from it appear to be original. PO replaced the water pump (under the fridge) and I've looked under there with no success. Mine's a rear bath, so the logical place would be somewhere around the rear closet on the road side, but I'll be darned if I can find it.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:06 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
On my 1977 Argosy 24' with rear bath, it is on the rear roadside corner just forward of the sewer outlet. It's on the side of the frame just ahead of the rear bumper.
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:21 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1978 24' Argosy 24
Sunbury , Ohio
Thanks. I've looked there, but I'll check again. Sure seems like an inconvenient place...:-)
Old 08-07-2013, 11:46 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Where Ventpoint said, and if not there, look in the rear right bath closet, under the bottom shelf, and usually you can see the plumbing there. Look for a copper colored dome shaped item about 6" high (the water pressure regulator) and follow the line which goes into it from the outside.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:05 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1978 24' Argosy 24
Sunbury , Ohio
Thanks ventport and idroba. I can't get to the MH until the weekend, but I'll check where you suggest.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:33 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Oh, it is a motorhome! You should say that when you post, we normally think of trailers and your listing only says a '78 Argosy 24'. That is also a trailer.

At any rate, I had one of those motorhomes, but my menory of the water system on it is rather sketchy, sold it in the early 90's. But I think I am still right, look in the back under the closet shelf and you may find what I already mentioned, the water pressure regulator. I think my water input was below it on the far back road side area, just ahead of the bumper. Again, long ago and far away in my mind.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 03:02 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
I thought you were talking about a trailer also, that is what my Argosy 24 is. So my response my not apply.
Old 08-08-2013, 05:17 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
This is in a motorhome forum, people. The IP did it right by posting here. It's not us owners' fault that Airstream chose to name the motorhomes and trailers the same way.

On my Argosy 24 (motorhome), the shore water inlet is indeed just behind the left (driver's side) rear wheels. That being said, as someone mentioned before, the plumbing may have been redone by a previous owner. I am not a big fan of the location and actually damaged my water inlet on my last camping trip due to trying to level out and being on soft ground (long story). If it is in it's original location, there should be a female hose stub sticking down outside of the body, hopefully with a cap of some sort on it. There is a chance that maybe a previous owner cut the pipe shorter. Open the below-the-beltline compartment just rear of the dual wheels and see of there's a stub in there. If all else fails, all of your incoming shore plumbing is under your refrigerator. You will find the regulator there. See where the incoming pipe to the regulator comes from. It should come directly up through the floor, which means the other end of it should be in the compartment you just looked in or outside the shell. There should also be an outlet tube going down through the floor for the over-pressure blow-off valve.
WineStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 05:34 AM   #13
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
The water inlet on my 1977 Argosy 20 motorhome is located underneath the unit just to the left of the trailer hitch. It is fairly tough to get to. It sits 6" in from the bumper and is at a 90 degree angle. It basically sits directly below the sink. There is a male plug that needs to be removed before the male side of the hose goes in.
ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:47 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by WineStream View Post
This is in a motorhome forum, people. The IP did it right by posting here. It's not us owners' fault that Airstream chose to name the motorhomes and trailers the same way.
When a post is opened from the portal it does not say anywhere that I can find, (correct me if I am wrong) what forum it was posted in. That is what causes this type of confusion. The vast majority of the posts here, and AS production throughout the years have been trailers. So it is logical to assume that a post about an Argosy 24 is a trailer, unless told otherwise. Not trying to be confrontational, but the poster would get better replies if that info was included in the original post. Once the post drops out of the portal it can only be found in the forum it was posted in, or by a search of all forums.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:18 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1998 30' Excella 1000
Halifax , Nova Scotia
When you open the post from the portal...look at the very top of the page and you will see where it resides for future reference
Gilmurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:39 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
Now I see it, way at the top. Thank you, learned something new...... again.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:31 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ventport View Post
Once the post drops out of the portal it can only be found in the forum it was posted in, or by a search of all forums.
One can also use the link in the upper toolbar for "new posts". This shows the same recent posts as the portal but also includes the forum that they are located in. Also, one can scroll back through a much longer time period than the portal.
WineStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:03 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

1978 24' Argosy 24
Sunbury , Ohio
Thank you all for your replies, and especially to Winestream for coming to my defense! I'll be more specific in the future.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:24 AM   #19
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Truth to tell, I do not note which forum comes up. I just check "new posts" and read from there. I suspect there are lots of us that do the same.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote