Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Argosy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-08-2011, 11:52 PM   #1

1975 26' Argosy 26
Safford , Arizona
Smile What's a 1975 Argosy 26' worth?

Hi everyone!

I'm new to forums and Argosys, so you'll have to bear with me.

My (mechanic) husband and I recently stumbled upon a 1975 Argosy 26ft 454 motorhome that needed some work. We figured it would be better than a tent and worth some elbow grease!

My husband worked on the mechanical side of things and got it in good shape again, and I poured heart and soul into the interior. It's got new curtains/blinds all around, new upholstery on the twin beds in the rear, and it's clean and functional. The previous owner had some "custom" tile work done in the kitchen area and it's got a new fridge. It also has a newer-style sofa/bed in the main living area. My husband's also been through the plumbing and stuff like that and there's no leaks or rust on the body.

Overall, she's not a beaut, but she's very serviceable. We just need a toy hauler instead, so we'd like to sell it. Only thing is, I have no idea what it's worth!

I need to take some pictures, but until then, can anyone tell me what something like this would be worth? Thanks!
ValerieW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:36 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Destrehan , Louisiana
It's all about the condition. In like new condition it would go for about $11,000. That is to say that the engine is rebuilt, tires good, interior perfect, body perfect and all original equipment is in place and perfect.
For a good solid camper in average shape with eveything working, about $4,500.
If it has dents, dings, the engine smokes, the awning is missing and a tired looking interior; figure $1200.
So, there is your price range: $1200 ~ $11,000.
I know that doesn't help much but it is all about the market. It is worth only what you can get someone to pay you for it.
Try looking at other 75 Argosy's for sale and get some comperables for insurance purposes.
dlb435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:12 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
What's a 1975 Argosy 26' worth?

Greetings ValerieW!

Welcome to the Forums!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValerieW View Post
Hi everyone!

I'm new to forums and Argosys, so you'll have to bear with me.

My (mechanic) husband and I recently stumbled upon a 1975 Argosy 26ft 454 motorhome that needed some work. We figured it would be better than a tent and worth some elbow grease!

My husband worked on the mechanical side of things and got it in good shape again, and I poured heart and soul into the interior. It's got new curtains/blinds all around, new upholstery on the twin beds in the rear, and it's clean and functional. The previous owner had some "custom" tile work done in the kitchen area and it's got a new fridge. It also has a newer-style sofa/bed in the main living area. My husband's also been through the plumbing and stuff like that and there's no leaks or rust on the body.

Overall, she's not a beaut, but she's very serviceable. We just need a toy hauler instead, so we'd like to sell it. Only thing is, I have no idea what it's worth!

I need to take some pictures, but until then, can anyone tell me what something like this would be worth? Thanks!
My first question would be, have you considered purchasing or building a dedicated box-type toy hauler? Your Argosy Motorhome could pull a modest sized toy trailer, and that would allow you to keep the dirt and smells associated with fuel-burning toys out of the coach where you are living.

Realistically, it sounds like the one remaining major project on your coach is likely the paint job. A professional paint job on a 26-foot Argosy motorhome would likely approach $7,500. Even with that as a given, if I understand you correctly, your coach has the rear-bedroom/mid-bath floorplan - - if this is the case, you have a floorplan that many desire since a rear bedroom twin can be rather easily converted to either a rear double or a rear queen bedroom configuration. With excellent mechanics and presentable interior, my guess is that the value would fall somewhere between $9,000 and $15,000, but in this market with the economy in its present condition, it is very hard to determine a value - - and you geographical location can have an impact on the value as well.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:23 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Post Falls , Idaho
I bought my '78 Argosy 28' a couple of years ago for $6000. Has 95,000 miles and is mechanically very good to excellent. Previous owner did a really nice job of redoing all plumbing, flooring, front end and more. The cabin is mostly original and clean . Exterior is original paint with normal 33 year old wear. Body is better than average. Never rebuilt 454 runs excellent and uses very little oil. Has Gear Vender which really makes for a nice driving unit. I wouldn't be afraid to drive this anywhere. To me, it's worth much more than the $6000 that I paid. If I were putting it on the market I would probably ask $8000. Most of the Argosy motorhomes that I've seen for sale in average condition seem to be priced from $4500 - $6000.
steveturk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 08:31 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
1975 26' Argosy 26
Flora , Indiana
Hi. We bought our '75 26' Argosy about 4 years ago and paid $5000. We knew the original owners and it was in very good shape but well used. It had yellowed and needed updated. We could have used it as is but chose not to. I gutted it, re-did it, and put it back with the same foot print, except changed the rear twin bed to a rear king/u-shaped couch with side storage hampers. I also built a new kitchen cabinet with corian top and sink.

Now what is it worth? Who knows! I hope it is worth at least about half of what I have in it, that is if I would find the right buyer. I think you need to look at it not as a good investment but something you want and enjoy. We feel it is still a LOT CHEAPER than anything else we have looked at and would want to sleep in. Anything else we might buy would depreciate by as much as we put in it anyway. It was a lot of hard work but a fun project!

If you go to our profile page you can see our photos. We are about to load photos of our bath room remodel with a custom made corian counter top.

I think 1975 was the only year Argosy made a 26 foot MoHo. Is yours a rear twin center bath or rear double bed.
st.stephan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 12:00 AM   #6

1975 26' Argosy 26
Safford , Arizona
Hello again everyone.

First off, I apologize for asking the question then just bailing for months! Right after that first post we ended up selling our house all of a sudden and dealing with a move, starting a new job, two toddlers, etc, etc, etc. Not a great excuse, I know, but the only one I've got! Sorry!

Thank you all so much for your insight. I'm a total Argosy/Airstream virgin and you helped screw my head on a little straighter.

We did look into getting a box trailer and towing it behind the Argosy, but we're pretty hard-core dune campers and are in the process of building a big, long-travel sand buggy. That, along with a quad or two, and we're pretty heavy packers so we'd have to have a pretty big trailer...And we've got a growing family, so the Argosy just isn't sized right for us. Given the fact that we already have a diesel truck begging to haul a big trailer, a toyhauler is going to be the thing for us.

I'll attach a few pictures of the little lady. I keep forgetting to check what the actual mileage is. It was very low. The exterior definitely needs some love. The previous owner had backed into something and peeled a big chunk of the fiberglass loose. My husband fixed it, but it's just raw, unsanded (and unpainted) fiberglass and isn't very pretty--to put it delicately. I don't have any pics of that portion right now. I'll getcha some.

Also, the cab (I guess you'd call it) AC doesn't work. The roof AC unit works well when it's plugged in to the house, but for some reason the AC bogs the generator down when it cycles. The hubbs has run out of steam on this project and has moved his attention to the afore mentioned sand buggy. So I guess whoever buys it is going to have to figure that out. The generator does smoke when it first starts, but runs great otherwise.

That's about all I can think of right now. Hopefully a picture will say 1000 words
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0176.jpg
Views:	1072
Size:	388.5 KB
ID:	132447   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0042.JPG
Views:	353
Size:	565.0 KB
ID:	132448  

Name:	IMG_0182.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	288.4 KB
ID:	132449   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0184.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	300.3 KB
ID:	132450  

Name:	IMG_0185.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	304.8 KB
ID:	132451   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0187.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	255.0 KB
ID:	132452  

ValerieW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 08:28 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
1975 26' Argosy 26
Placerville , California
What's a 1975 Argosy 26' worth now? Gone up in price?
al
alhamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 10:17 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Are you asking about a trailer or motor home?
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 10:41 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
1975 26' Argosy 26
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
Are you asking about a trailer or motor home?
Motorhome. Looking for a 20' to 26' Airstream or (Argosy) Thanks for asking.
alhamilton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
for sale, motorhome, sell, worth