Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2016, 12:46 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
Mission Viejo , California
What trip interruption problems have you encountered with your vintage MoHo?

OK I already admitted I WAS too chicken to drive my good condition 77 Argosy 28 more than hundred miles from home. I'm feeling a little more confident now thanks to the many AF responses. However that Boy Scout in me wants to be prepared. In another vehicle with a 454 I had two blown head gasket leaks within a year of each other, hence my chicken heartedness.

What kind of on-the-road mechanical issues have you had with your vintage MoHo? I know I need tools, jack and stands, hoses, fan belts, fuel filter, fuel pump, Good Sam/AAA-RV (I have both!), survival gear, a toad and a baby's arm holding an apple. What else?
cdufault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 05:43 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Belts tops my list of must carry items. A few years ago on a trip from Kentucky to Atlanta I lost all 3 v-belts just after getting out of the Cumberland mountains. Not a pleasant experience. Next on the list would be hoses. For Argosies and early Classics the radiator hoses are no longer available and the generic replacements are probably not stocked at any of your typical parts houses.

Next up would be a power steering pressure hose. Again for the Argosies and early Classic's the PS hose is no longer available.

I think the important thing is to find out what items are NOT available from a typical parts house. Once you know what those parts are you should do your best to try and stock them as spares for your trips.

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 09:00 PM   #3
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Everything Brad pointed out plus one more thing......a sacrificial virgin for the Airstream Gods. I use to pack two myself, but have recently found out that one of my virgins gave it away for a "I love you so much" from the boyfriend. Still to this day his parents come around forlornly looking for their son....."Sorry, haven't seen him lately I say" The last virgin is now pissed at her sister as she now has to wear a chastity belt and allowed no contact with boys.

So I'm down to one; unless I pop for the reconstruction surgery, but the wife hates going under the knife and a 59 year old virgin probably won't appease the Gods.

Get your virgins young and don't buy them cell phones.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 09:21 PM   #4
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Pack your magic wand, cell phone, and no limit credit card. With a good tool box and a set of walking shoes, you have a chance. Pat

PS - tow strap. Moving the rig a short distance is often required.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 10:58 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1977 24' Argosy 24
North Port , Florida
Coach AC will not function in blazing heat; it keeps tripping a breaker. It is fine until approximately 90 degrees Fahrenheit with sun on it.
Elisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 04:16 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Tony,

Since your 31' needs two virgins and the odds of ever finding a second one are pretty slim, why don't you ship your remaining virgin down to me. One virgin for a 20' Argosy should be just about right......
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
Old 07-26-2016, 01:51 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
belen , New Mexico
starter died at a gas station and we sat for 8 hours till i got a new one and MY own employee who was a Bens mechanic came and had to drop the exhaust to get it out and back in! the part was like 35.00! LOL
alantbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 03:24 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Middletown , California
The one must have tool for travel in an RV is a credit card with lots of room in the credit line and low interest rate! A well stocked tool box and knowing how your RV works is a really good idea also! A sense of adventure and the ability to roll with the unexpected when combined with the first 2 requirements will ensure that you can travel anywhere.
ijustlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 03:50 PM   #9
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
Tony,

Since your 31' needs two virgins and the odds of ever finding a second one are pretty slim, why don't you ship your remaining virgin down to me. One virgin for a 20' Argosy should be just about right......
Not a problem Brad, I'll trade you for that other PITA Argosy thats just taking up space in your garage and time away from your own coach. One word of caution, she is high maintenance and knows how to fight back; a talisman of sorts against Airstream Gods.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Old 07-26-2016, 07:38 PM   #10
STstudios

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Wixom , Michigan
First year with Dali heading out to Sturgis, SD from Michigan had no issues getting there - but heading back, starter went out and was stranded until a buddy heading home bought a new started and installed. May it back safely.

Second year out - blew a tire and limped to rest area. Had a trucking company come out to look at and limped to their shop (about 5 miles away). I guess my models distracted the mechanics, because I completely lost a wheel (flew off in the middle of no-where) and ripped the aluminum behind the wheel well! Luckily it didn't take out my tanks. Turns out they put the WRONG SIZED BEARING in and had some play. It completely sheared the nut off and off came the wheel! They denied all responsibility and said my axle was bent (which was fine and I ended up buying a wheel and axle from Bkahler!) Lesson here - don't have your hot models distract the mechanics.
STstudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 09:36 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Franklin Park , Illinois
I to lost some belts recently, and I'm still trying to recover (financially and mentally)
I also had a blowout and since have bought a large bottle jack and HUGE torque wrench and socket to fit the lugs. torque wrench is a 1" drive and I also have a extension for the wrench so that it can reach into the rear dual wheels
I'm glad you've asked this question / post. looks like once I can afford it I'll have to buy a starter and some hoses
I'd like to here more about bkahler's belt story
I wish I had the confidence to just jump in the motorhome and drive till the sun sets... But I just don't😏
This weekend I'm driving from Rockford Illinois to Rock cut state park (only 8 miles)
On August 12th I'm hoping to drive it (if I feel confidant enough) from Rockford Illinois to Illinois beach state park (WBCCI northern Illinois unit's rally) 160 mile round trip...
Maybe🙄
Grosspoluter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 12:43 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream 310
Henniker , New Hampshire
You don't want to hear my trip interruption story. Nothing a buddy with a borrowed tractor and low bed trailer for the 800 mile recovery trip; plus a 502 crate motor and lots of backyard wrenching couldn't fix!
Old 07-29-2016, 06:29 PM   #13
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefair View Post
You don't want to hear my trip interruption story. Nothing a buddy with a borrowed tractor and low bed trailer for the 800 mile recovery trip; plus a 502 crate motor and lots of backyard wrenching couldn't fix!
That maybe true, but now you have the very fastest 310 on the planet.... If fact I'd hazard a quess at the fastest Airstream motorhome, period....except for the Utube guy driving around with a 502 Airstream Classic chassis; for now he has the fastest P30 chassis, until he puts the body back on.

Very glad that what happened, happened to a guy like you Chiefair, as it may have inspired many to contemplate the same conversion should the unthinkable, but inevitable happen.

Cheers
Tony

Old 07-30-2016, 05:33 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
Mission Viejo , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefair View Post
...a 502 crate motor and lots of backyard wrenching couldn't fix!
Supposedly we can get up to 800 reliable horsepower and gobs of torque out of a big block. Hmmm. Eventual engine demise suddenly not feeling terminal.
cdufault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 07:31 PM   #15
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdufault View Post
Supposedly we can get up to 800 reliable horsepower and gobs of torque out of a big block. Hmmm. Eventual engine demise suddenly not feeling terminal.
Please remember that getting hp is like a bell curve; yes, the old vintage 454 is on the low end of engine efficiency and the 502 is miles ahead of it; but getting even more hp is at some point going to require more fuel and getting 800 hp is going to demand a lot of fuel.

HP is all about compromise; how much are you willing to spend in fuel to get it.

Cheers
Tony

Old 07-31-2016, 04:31 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream 310
Henniker , New Hampshire
Thanks Tony. I don't want to lead this thread too far afield but I think my mileage has improved along with a significant improvement in horsepower. I have never figured out my mileage but it went from really bad to pretty bad. Gearing is still the big limitation preventing better fuel economy. The 502 moves it along very nicely and isn't working as hard as the 454 was. If I was worried about fuel economy I wouldn't be driving around in a 32' dinosaur.
Old 07-31-2016, 04:33 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
Not a problem Brad, I'll trade you for that other PITA Argosy thats just taking up space in your garage and time away from your own coach. One word of caution, she is high maintenance and knows how to fight back; a talisman of sorts against Airstream Gods.

Cheers
Tony
Hmm, Martin's back in England right now. If you can show up with a 22' trailer we might be able to work something out

One question, is she a good cook?
Old 07-31-2016, 04:40 PM   #18
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Quote:
Hmm, Martin's back in England right now. If you can show up with a 22' trailer we might be able to work something out

I was resisting raising to the bait....but the insurance is up to date on Peanut in case he goes missing!!!!
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 07:19 AM   #19
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:

Don't worry about Martin, Brad as the slave trade is probably still legal in the old laws in whatever "shire" he lives in; however if he comes back to the your neck of the woods looking for Peanut, just tell the local 50 he traded a peanut for the girl and demanded you fixed both up before he got back. I'm sure his insurance would love to pay out for that; after he gets out.

As for fixing up, yes that would entail cooking lessons as I've never seen her cook but remember, domestication may take the wildness out of her if she could cook her own food and reduce her effectness as a talisman against the Airstream Gods.

If you've ever watched The Game of Thrones, she would be considered a "Wildling".

What an epic thread hijack.

Cheers
Tony

Old 08-04-2016, 12:01 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
Don't worry about Martin, Brad as the slave trade is probably still legal in the old laws in whatever "shire" he lives in; however if he comes back to the your neck of the woods looking for Peanut, just tell the local 50 he traded a peanut for the girl and demanded you fixed both up before he got back. I'm sure his insurance would love to pay out for that; after he gets out.

As for fixing up, yes that would entail cooking lessons as I've never seen her cook but remember, domestication may take the wildness out of her if she could cook her own food and reduce her effectness as a talisman against the Airstream Gods.

If you've ever watched The Game of Thrones, she would be considered a "Wildling".

What an epic thread hijack.

Cheers
Tony

Hmm, she sounds like more of a project than I can deal with at this time. Worse, not being able to cook is a real deal breaker for me.....

Martin, it looks like Peanut is safe....for the time being at least