Old 03-16-2009, 11:43 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Monterey , California
What to look out for - Argosy MoHo

I'm about to buy a 78 28' Argosy MoHo 454 Chevy - What should I be looking out for? When I go to inspect it - what should I be checking? Is there a good reliable list for me to access that will give me a list of things to check?

donlandis

Old 03-17-2009, 02:03 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post
I'm about to buy a 78 28' Argosy MoHo 454 Chevy - What should I be looking out for? When I go to inspect it - what should I be checking? Is there a good reliable list for me to access that will give me a list of things to check?

donlandis
Hi Don.

What kind of PM did the owner do?

Does he have receipts for work done?

Has he replaced the front and rear air bags?

Has he replaced all the exterior gaskets, for the windows, entrance door, access compartments, and especially the sewer vent pipe cover gaskets, that only last 2 to 3 years?

What condition are the drapes in?

When was the furnace removed for a complete service?

Does the dash and roof AC work correctly?

Does the entrance door shut properly?

Does the water system work ok, along with the water heater too?

Does the reefer get cold as well as will the freezer make ice?

Tire age and condition?

Body damage?

Condition of the windshields? Cracks, chips, discolored, etc.

Condition of the exterior paint?

If you come up with positive answers to these questions, then your on to a good deal.

A famous saying is "everything worked the last time I used them."

When was the last time? And, working and working OK, is very different from each other.

There are other things that can enter the picture, but the above list will give you a positive "YES" or "NO".

If it's no, stop off and enjoy a beer before you get back home, because you saved yourself a bunch of money, and headaches.

Now if you just don't care and want to put a ton of money into the coach, then stop off and have two beers, and hope for the best.

And if that's the case, you then would need to find a dealer, that can give you a detailed, written estimate of everything and anything they find wrong, and all the costs, in a substancial "safety inspection" that covers over 200 items.

Andy

Old 03-17-2009, 06:13 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Don,

Here is a link with info on what to look for when looking at a used motorhome.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f160...ses-18916.html

Good luck!

Brad
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 11:50 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Monterey , California
Wow. You guys are really nice. And Andy, it looks like you're the man when it comes to all things parts and services for airstreams.

So, I've got a bead on a 1978 Argosy 28' 454 gas with only 47K miles on it - and I think I can pick it up for less than $5K. Is that a good deal?

But, yes, there are quite a lot of things wrong with it and I'd like to know the general costs of things to repair to know how deep in debt I'd be.

1. New tires - all 6 - I think the spare is ok (but never covered).
2. Front and back air bags.
3. Fuel line to the generator.
4. Thermocouple for the refrig
5. Section of the hand laid oak floor is lifting - possible leak under the kitchen sink.
6. Leaky hose in the back closet.
7. Felt seals for the windows.
8. Batteries.
9. No front jacknife bed
10. No bucket seats for fine dining
11. The driver and passenger seats need to be redone.

What do you think? Worth the effort?

donlandis
Old 03-18-2009, 12:01 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Wow. You guys are really nice. And Andy, it looks like you're the man when it comes to all things parts and services for airstreams.

So, I've got a bead on a 1978 Argosy 28' 454 gas with only 47K miles on it - and I think I can pick it up for less than $5K. Is that a good deal?

But, yes, there are quite a lot of things wrong with it and I'd like to know the general costs of things to repair to know how deep in debt I'd be.

5. Section of the hand laid oak floor is lifting - possible leak under the kitchen sink.
8. Batteries.
9. No front jacknife bed

donlandis
Don.

Sounds like a fair deal.

We cannot post prices on the Forums.

I will be back in my office on the 23rd. Call if you wish.

Andy
Old 03-18-2009, 12:17 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Monterey , California
Understand and thanks Andy. How about the rest of you? Is it worth $5K? With those of you who have had similar issues, what is the general ball park for the above items?
Old 03-18-2009, 04:55 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:

8. Batteries.
9. No front jacknife bed

donlandis
As many others have mentioned on this forum in the past, you should consider the purchase price of the motorhome as a down payment only.

$1000 minimum if they are 16" and $1500 if they are 19.5" tires. Buy the best you can.

$400 assuming you do the work yourself.

You'll need to drop the fuel tank to fix this most likely unless its like my 74 Argosy in which case the hoses are located on the side of the tank. You should figure on replacing ALL rubber hoses, etc on the chassis and this includes brake hoses, power steering hoses, belts, etc.

I'd replace the fridge if its the original unit.

Most likely the leak is coming from somewhere else and will take time to find.

Figure on replacing ALL of the window seals. That's what we are doing on our 84 310.

8. Batteries.

You'll probably need/want to replace the ac-dc converter as well. Buy a good 3-stage charger and you won't have to worry about your new batteries.

9. No front jacknife bed
Not sure what this is.

Good luck!

Brad
Old 03-19-2009, 01:07 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Monterey , California
Yes, I think the camper is cheap enough that it will leave some money to do these necessary repairs.

Advice on what brand of tires?
Can you get used Fridge - or should we buy new?
Felt seals - is that something we can do ourselves and then how involved is it?
Batteries - I read a lot about batteries - which do you suggest?
Old 03-19-2009, 01:19 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Yes, I think the camper is cheap enough that it will leave some money to do these necessary repairs.

Long haul = Michelen

Short haul = the cheapest you can find.

If you planning on the long haul, replace the reefer.

If your planning on the short haul, get a used reefer.

Use local batteries if your not going to travel very far.

If your going to travel far away, trhen "national brands" are best, so that if you have a problem with one, you can easily have it taken care of.

Or, use cheap batteries, and take the chances.

Please remember though, there are many chances you can take fixing up the coach. But, the more chances, the more your likely you will be greeted with a problem, when your a long way from home.

You can do all the gaskets.

Andy
Old 03-19-2009, 10:20 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:

We tried some cheap chinese tires and ALL six of them were out of round. We then switched to Kumo tires and found them to be of very good quality. These are the 19.5 tires. Bad tires can make for a VERY BAD ride, we know this from experience.

I'd bite the bullet and buy a new Nordic fridge. The ones that we've used seem to have more room inside than similar Dometic models.

There is a sticky thread by Chaplain Kent where he documents the window seal replacement. Good reading.

Buy good ones ONLY if you have a good dc converter installed. If you don't then you'll be replacing them frequently due to over charging.

Brad
Old 10-22-2011, 08:55 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
SOUTH ANHERST , Ohio
HI ALL I AM NEW TO THE AIR STREAM FAMILY AND LOOKING AT THE

PURCHASE OF A 1976 ARGOSY MOBLE RV.

BUT NOT KNOWING MUCH ABOUT THE MOBLE ARGOSY I NEED SOME HELP.

THE ARGOSY IS A 1976 28 FT AND HAS BEEN KEEP IN SIDE AND WELL KEPT IN SIDE AND OUT JUST THE 70s LOOK.

HERE ARE MY ISSUES -FIRST THE ASKING PRICE STARTED AT $6000 BUT GOT THE SELLER DOWN TO $3500 AND NOW DOWN TO $3000 AND THE FOLLOW REASONS IS WHY THIS WAS DONE .

R/S FRONT WINDSHIELD IS DAMAGED AND NEEDS REPLACED CALL AIRSTREAM DEALER AND CAN REPLACE THE WIND SHIELD AT A COST OF OVER $1000 PLUS INSTALL.

ALSO THE TIRES SIZE 19.5 AND ALL 6 ARE BAD AND NEED REPLACED AT A COST OF $1500

THE OUT SIDE BODY LOOKS GOOD JUST NEEDS CLEANED UP AND THE AWNING IS IN GOOD SHAPE JUST NEEDS CLEANING

THE GENERATOR WORKS WELL AND IN INSIDE A/C AND HEAT FROM THE A/C WORKS WELL AS WELL , BUT I COULD NOT LOCATE THE HEATER ? NEED HELP FINDING THAT .

I COULD NOT CHECK THE WATER FUNCTIONS FEATURES BECAUSE SELL HAD BAD WATER PRESSURE.?

COULD NOT CHECK THE PROPANE SIDE ARGOSY RV HAD NO PROPANE ?

THE ARGOSY RV HAS NOT BEEN ON THE ROAD FOR 4 YEARS AND JUST STARTED ONCE IN A WHILE .

ON MY RETURN TO TALK ABOUT THE PURCHASE ONE I GOT THE SELLER DOWN TO $3000.
THE SELL HAD TO PURCHASE 2 NEW BATTRIES TO GET IT STARTED AND ONCE STARTED THE RAD HOSE BLEW ??

AND THE TIRES LOOKED WORSE THEN I THOUGHT THEY MUST BE REPLACED NO QUESTION AND NO SPARE TIRE AS WELL.

WELL GUYS I AM AT $3,000 FOR THE PURCHASE I THINK THAT IS TO HIGH

WITH ALL I HAVE TO PURCHASE AND WILL HAVE DONE TO GET IT HOME I LIVE IN THE NORTH AND THIS IS A FACTOR WITH WINTER COMING FAST.

PLEASE GIVE ME SOME DIRECTION --NEED HEPL!!!!!! DO NOT WANT A MONEY PIT . I HAVE SEEN A FEW ON THE WEB I COULD PURCHASE FOR $7000 OR SO . I DO NOT MINE DOING SOME WORK BUT AT A GOOD PURCHASE PRICE .
THANKS GEORGE
Old 10-22-2011, 10:17 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
What to look out for - Argosy MoHo

Greetings George!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gosman View Post
PURCHASE OF A 1976 ARGOSY MOBLE RV.

THE ARGOSY IS A 1976 28 FT AND HAS BEEN KEEP IN SIDE AND WELL KEPT IN SIDE AND OUT JUST THE 70s LOOK.

R/S FRONT WINDSHIELD IS DAMAGED AND NEEDS REPLACED CALL AIRSTREAM DEALER AND CAN REPLACE THE WIND SHIELD AT A COST OF OVER $1000 PLUS INSTALL.

ALSO THE TIRES SIZE 19.5 AND ALL 6 ARE BAD AND NEED REPLACED AT A COST OF $1500

THE OUT SIDE BODY LOOKS GOOD JUST NEEDS CLEANED UP AND THE AWNING IS IN GOOD SHAPE JUST NEEDS CLEANING

THE GENERATOR WORKS WELL AND IN INSIDE A/C AND HEAT FROM THE A/C WORKS WELL AS WELL , BUT I COULD NOT LOCATE THE HEATER ? NEED HELP FINDING THAT .

I COULD NOT CHECK THE WATER FUNCTIONS FEATURES BECAUSE SELL HAD BAD WATER PRESSURE.?

COULD NOT CHECK THE PROPANE SIDE ARGOSY RV HAD NO PROPANE ?

THE ARGOSY RV HAS NOT BEEN ON THE ROAD FOR 4 YEARS AND JUST STARTED ONCE IN A WHILE .

THE SELL HAD TO PURCHASE 2 NEW BATTRIES TO GET IT STARTED AND ONCE STARTED THE RAD HOSE BLEW ??

AND THE TIRES LOOKED WORSE THEN I THOUGHT THEY MUST BE REPLACED NO QUESTION AND NO SPARE TIRE AS WELL.

PLEASE GIVE ME SOME DIRECTION --NEED HEPL!!!!!! DO NOT WANT A MONEY PIT . I HAVE SEEN A FEW ON THE WEB I COULD PURCHASE FOR $7000 OR SO . I DO NOT MINE DOING SOME WORK BUT AT A GOOD PURCHASE PRICE .

I am not a motorhome owner, but have been around the collector car hobby for a number of years, and my comments are based upon my experiences with collector cars. The price that you have negotiated appears to be in the ballpark, but that doesn't mean that there aren't potential issues that haven't been uncovered by your inspection to this point.
  • If the coach hasn't been driven for four years and only started on a periodic basis, there are numerous potential pitfalls.
    • The transmission likely has had little exercise, and may not have even been run through the gears when the motor was running. At the very least, the seals may have dried out which could produce numerous problems with leaks.
    • Even if the transmission has been run through the gears to keep the seals lubricated, how long has it been since the transmissions was last serviced with new filter and clean fluid?
    • Assuming that all has been done is a periodic start of the motor, the question is of how long has it been since the last oil and filter change? More than four years of just periodic starting could spell sludge problems among other issues.
    • While rear differential problems aren't as likely, if the coach hasn't been driven for four years or more, the seals are likely dried out and may be more prone to leakage.
    • Again, lack of exercise isn't good for the hydraulic system. Unused brakes tend to have problems with brake fluid contamination and again rubber seals and components can fail from lack of use.
  • The failure of the radiator hose points to four years or more of postponed maintenance which to me would mean that you would likely need to anticipate much of the following:
    • The need for all new fan belts as well as accessory drive belts.
    • The need for all new radiator hoses as well as heater hoses.
    • The need for all new vacuum hoses.
    • The need of a comprehensive motor tune up, and quite possibly a carburetor overhaul as well . . . to remove varnish that has likely formed during four years of inactivity.
    • The need for all new fuel filters.
  • While not as likely as some of the other issues that I have mentioned, there is also a somewhat remote possibility that the radiator and cooling system may be suffering from postponed service. When modern antifreeze isn't flushed on a periodic basis its rust inhibiting formula can become compromised which can cause problems with freeze plugs, thermostats, the water pump, and can be a culprit in plugging the radiator tubes as well.
I am not trying to be the voice of doom and gloom, but from a practicality standpoint, a motor vehicle that has sat basically unused for four or more years is going to need a good dose of preventative maintenance to make up for postponed maintenance during its period of inactivity. I went through many of the issues related to inactivity when I pruchased my '75 Eldorado over a decade ago . . . the problems can all be corrected, but you need to be prepared for the potential repairs and costs involved.

My recommendation would be to have a knowledgeable mechanic check out the chassis. When the costs of the known repairs are added to any that the mechanic finds will give you a clearer picture of the true value of the unit.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin

WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote