Old 12-06-2018, 06:03 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Victor , New York
Traveling with children

So the wife and I will be traveling with kids this summer and we will have to use a baby seat for the youngest. Our Argosy has the two captains chairs up front, a couch behind the driver (with seat belts) and a table with 2 chairs behind the passenger. The back of the Argosy does have a u-shaped couch that could also be used.

For those of you who have had this issue, what have you done to ensure safety?

mprokop87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 11:42 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Matt,

That was something Danec020 was struggling with after he bought his 20' Argosy. I'm not sure what he did to resolve the problem. You might give him a shout to see if he found an answer.

Brad

bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 11:53 AM   #3
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
I would see if you could some how strap the baby seat, facing backwards on the sofa, up against the driver's seat.
You will most likely have to fabricate a platform that could be welded to a 4x4" L channel that be bolted down to the front vertical ledge of the cockpit. Think about some way to easily disconnect the platform so that you can use that section of the couch when camping.
The only other choice to be truly acceptable to the DOT people, and maybe a few police departments, would be for your wife to follow you in a vehicle better suited to mount baby seats.
Cheers
Sidekick Tony

ďItís a recession when your neighbor loses his job; itís a depression when you lose your own.Ē "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 12:33 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
You don’t say how old your children are.

We went across the country a couple of times, with 2-4 smallish grandchildren, and if I recall correctly, the safety requirements for children in car seats in vehicles doesn’t apply to RV’s.

That’s what my husband said.

Of course, you want them secured when you’re driving, regardless.

We used the seat belts, and once a car seat for one of them, strapping it in tightly on a rear couch. We were never traveling with an infant.

Given that they must be tied down, my only suggestion for traveling with children is to keep your days relatively short, stop frequently for running around time, pack a bag of small surprise toys and kid friendly snacks.

Have fun!

Maggie
Old 12-07-2018, 12:47 PM   #5
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Add some mounts for a (rear facing) child seat on the doghouse?
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 06:14 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Victor , New York
Thanks for the suggestions, all good ones. The one child we're worried about will be an infant. I have to pull my couch out in the next few weeks so I may try to fabricate a mount for it. We really like the dog house and ledge idea but we'd have to worry about the actual dogs running up there.

I've got some time because we aren't traveling till later June or early July.
Old 12-08-2018, 06:44 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Then youíll want an adult near that baby for safety so you can see and hear him/her over the drive noise, which will be louder and more diverse than in a conventional car.

About 40 years ago, I drove halfway across the country with a 4 year old and an infant.

I stopped to feed, diaper change, potty myself and the child, have a snack, stretch legs, etc., then drove til the next feeding, rinse and repeat.

Itís somewhat slow going, but really important to frequently get the little one out of being tightly buckled into a car seat.

You will still have a great time, youíre just doing in an RV what you would be doing at home.

Maggie
Old 12-08-2018, 01:21 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Victor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Then youíll want an adult near that baby for safety so you can see and hear him/her over the drive noise, which will be louder and more diverse than in a conventional car.

About 40 years ago, I drove halfway across the country with a 4 year old and an infant.

I stopped to feed, diaper change, potty myself and the child, have a snack, stretch legs, etc., then drove til the next feeding, rinse and repeat.

Itís somewhat slow going, but really important to frequently get the little one out of being tightly buckled into a car seat.

You will still have a great time, youíre just doing in an RV what you would be doing at home.

Maggie
Maggie,
For an old Argosy, mine is pretty quiet. I went through the floors and added extra insulation to help with noise because my previous Argosy was very loud. My wife will be right there with me so she can turn right around. Our trip won't be very far, just a few hours because we don't want to stay too far away. I can't imagine going half way across the country!
Old 12-08-2018, 05:01 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
2015 22' FB Sport
Kansas City , Missouri
I think the most important thing is to figure out a way to have whatever you use be rear-facing and secure.

Where will the other occupants ride during travel-- what spaces are left for the infant seat?

Also how do you envision this working years 2,3,4 when you will likely need a front facing car seat and possibly a booster type seat that is front-facing?

Is the couch front-facing, or does it run along the length of the RV?

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote