Old 09-08-2016, 08:48 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1985 32' Excella
Valley Village , California
This Argosy should be rescued!

I have been traveling to Baden, Pennsylvania ( outside of Pittsburgh along the Ohio river) for years now visiting family, and this Argosy has been sitting next to a shuttered warehouse for at least over a decade. I would love to find out who owns it and take it off their hands if I did not live so many states away. You think it could be salvageable? I've always had an affinity for these and just hate to see it rotting away. I would love to see someone in the forum's get this
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Arogosy in Baden, PA 2015.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	452.4 KB
ID:	271266   Click image for larger version

Name:	Arogosy motorhome Baden, PA 2015.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	511.3 KB
ID:	271267  

Old 09-08-2016, 09:01 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Next time leave a note in a ziplock bag under the wipers.

Also get threaders of the property then contact the local town hall. They should be able to pull up property records and tell you who owns the property. That's piblic record so shouldn't be to hard to get. Then see if you can track them down.
Getting the VIN is helpful but DMVs are less likely to give that info out.

Old 09-09-2016, 05:08 AM   #3
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Anyone who has not actually bought one of these back to 'life' cannot imagine the amount of effort and cost involved. This starts with the fact that getting a shipper to initially move them is impossible (when loaded on a standard gooseneck trailer they are over the height limit to run on most highways), to mechanicals (brakes, fuel supply, steering, suspension) to the actual coach services (40 year old plastic and antiquated appliances). I would say you are looking at a minimum (even if the body and glass is good) of $10-15K plus labor, just to get it back on the road so you can use it.

Unless you have 2-3 years, and are willing to spend that money for your own enjoyment (you will never get it back), simply run away.

I bought almost the same (3 years younger), in better condition, starting, running, with the PO almost pleading with me to throw time and money at it because it was 'worth saving', and used it as a parts donor for Bella's rebuild.

In reality they aren't even 'worth' scrap value (and only even have scrap value if you need parts or are able to part out).
Old 09-09-2016, 11:13 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Martin's reply may seem somewhat blunt but it's the cold hard truth. My 74 Argosy didn't appear to bad in pictures but once you actually set eyes on it the real facts started to come out. I'm having to go through mine from top to bottom replacing or repairing just about anything and everything I lay my hands on.

I guess I sort of enjoy working on these things otherwise any sane person would have scrapped it a long time ago.

Brad
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 11:54 AM   #5
59' Globester

1959 18' "Footer"
1957 26' Overlander
san francisco , California
all i can say is Rats & rot!
twolanehwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 12:57 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
Mission Viejo , California
Hmmm... I have this exact model and absolutely love it.A hundred mile tow was about $350 from a guy found on Craigslist with a pick up truck and a flatbed fifth wheel trailer. Another time I had an old Korean war vintage dodge ambulance towed about 500 miles for 900 bucks. Again it was a guy with his pick up and flatbed trailer. I would suggest you look in the windows see how the interior looks, this may help you determine if you want to go through the effort of fixing her up. If you can get the address for the warehouse, that particular county probably has an online look up it's usually on the tax assessor site. And it may show you the owners name. Finally I disagree with this rig having no value, anyone who has tried to replace any of the glass in our airstream or Argosy motorhomes knows the value of those parts.
Old 09-09-2016, 01:09 PM   #7
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdufault View Post
Hmmm... I have this exact model and absolutely love it.A hundred mile tow was about $350 from a guy found on Craigslist with a pick up truck and a flatbed fifth wheel trailer. Another time I had an old Korean war vintage dodge ambulance towed about 500 miles for 900 bucks. Again it was a guy with his pick up and flatbed trailer. I would suggest you look in the windows see how the interior looks, this may help you determine if you want to go through the effort of fixing her up. If you can get the address for the warehouse, that particular county probably has an online look up it's usually on the tax assessor site. And it may show you the owners name. Finally I disagree with this rig having no value, anyone who has tried to replace any of the glass in our airstream or Argosy motorhomes knows the value of those parts.
I don't think I said it had no value. I said it only has value if you need the parts or were willing to part out.
Old 09-09-2016, 02:12 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
I had a 345 transported from near Tulsa OK to Richmond KY which ended up being around 800 miles. Cost was $1000 plus a $200 tip for all the extra effort the driver put in helping me get it onto his trailer.

Th Argosy in question certainly has value but that is dependent on how much time and effort the buyer is willing to put into it just to get it to his place. I'm pretty sure $1000 is definitely on the low side now so figure $1500 to $2000 to get it transported to it's new home. That is unless you've got a buddy with a nice low boy trailer and truck!

Once the Argosy has arrived at it's new home that's when the real work begins and money starts flying out of the wallet Been here, done that.

As a rough guess as to the value of the glass in the Argosy, it has 7 side sliders worth maybe $500 per window to the right person. It would take a while to sell all 7 windows but you might make $3500 from them (I wouldn't bet on that however). The two cockpit windows are probably worth similar amounts to the right person but keep in mind the cockpit slider panes are still available so the only value is the fixed panes so to me the cockpit window value is a lot less (just my opinion of course).

We all know the windshields are still available so those shouldn't be included in determining overall salvage value. I think the rear glass sections are still available although I think they are tinted instead of clear. Not sure what they would sell for.

I'm probably one of the few that has gone through the effort of dismantling for parts a 345 so I feel safe in saying that anyone who thinks they can get their money back on buying one of these and selling it for parts is going to have to really work at it.

All that being said, it would still be nice if someone would buy this Argosy, fix it up and put it back on the road
Old 09-09-2016, 02:19 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
This is an interesting Argosy. It appears to be a 74-76 model year but has bumper over riders that I've not seen on the earlier Argosies. I'm guessing this is a 76 model because the 28' was only made in 76.

Front the two pictures the outside doesn't look to bad but depending on roof leaks the interior could be a real mess.
Old 09-09-2016, 02:37 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Middletown , California
A shame to see it rotting away but probably has some pretty bad water damage by now. May have stopped running for some minor reason and the owner just hasn't got around to fixing it. Also possible the owner got sick and maybe has passed on to the great RV park in the sky so it might be hard to get the title. Sure would be great to get it on the road again though.
Old 09-10-2016, 09:28 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
I agree with Martin and Brad. These units can consume large amounts of cash. Why bother bringing this one back from the dead when there are others for a slightly higher purchase price that are in far better condition.

It is a cold hard truth/fact that at some point of dis-repair, these units are not worth saving. I don't think that an Argosy 28' has reached collectible status yet.
ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 10:00 PM   #12
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
It's the way it's squatted over the wheels makes me think the suspension has rotted away.........

As others far greater in the know than myself have stated; it's sad, but this old bird will never roam the highways and byways without an incredible amount of love (money), blood, sweat and tears.

Cheers
Tony

Now, if it was a 310 turbo diesel??? a few people would jump at it.

Its a recession when your neighbor loses his job; its a depression when you lose your own. "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote