Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Argosy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-24-2016, 09:26 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1977 28' Argosy 28
Katy , Texas
Swivel Chairs for 77 Argosy MoHo

I have 2 swivel chairs, one on either side of the fold-down table in my 77 Argosy. They're not barrel/tub chairs. They're the kind that have a seat that sits on a pole that is then bolted into the floor through a small disk at the base of the pole.

I have two problems:

1. The bolts keep coming out, resulting in the chair wobbling, at best, or completely falling to one side.

2. I would like to reupholster the seats.

So, being new to this type of thing, I'm wondering what would be the best course of action:

1. Remove the seats to reupholster, lift the carpet, and somehow fix the bolting problem from underneath (I can't even imagine what this entails);

2. Remove the entire chairs and replace (in which case I'm wondering if I can retrofit a generic barrel chair to bolt to the floor, or whether I need to replace with a motorhome chair).

If anyone has had to address such an issue in their own motorhomes, I would appreciate your sharing any lessons you learned in the process, or any advice you can offer.

Thank you for considering my problem!
Stephenssg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 06:09 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1977 24' Argosy 24
North Port , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephenssg View Post
I have 2 swivel chairs, one on either side of the fold-down table in my 77 Argosy. They're not barrel/tub chairs. They're the kind that have a seat that sits on a pole that is then bolted into the floor through a small disk at the base of the pole.

I have two problems:

1. The bolts keep coming out, resulting in the chair wobbling, at best, or completely falling to one side.

2. I would like to reupholster the seats.

So, being new to this type of thing, I'm wondering what would be the best course of action:

1. Remove the seats to reupholster, lift the carpet, and somehow fix the bolting problem from underneath (I can't even imagine what this entails);

2. Remove the entire chairs and replace (in which case I'm wondering if I can retrofit a generic barrel chair to bolt to the floor, or whether I need to replace with a motorhome chair).

If anyone has had to address such an issue in their own motorhomes, I would appreciate your sharing any lessons you learned in the process, or any advice you can offer.

Thank you for considering my problem!
Definitely take them out and look at the floor. That is most important, as who knows what might lurk there.
Everything else is secondary. You can reupholster any number of ways (surefit.com) or buy folding chairs and eliminate the originals.
Elisa
Elisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 07:40 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1977 28' Argosy 28
Katy , Texas
Thank you, Elisa. Your advice has centered me on a logical course of action.

I like the idea of having folding chairs in place of these pedestal swivels, thereby freeing up much needed room. My husband is steadfast in his opinion that any and all furniture MUST be bolted down. He'll take some convincing.

I appreciate your input. Have a great day!
Sara
Old 06-02-2016, 12:52 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
Mission Viejo , California
I too have a 77 Argosy (28) MH. I have wood floors and it looks like the PO had bolted chairs through the floor, however there were no chairs there when I purchased it. My solution is two loose small wicker cushioned patio chairs each with slide out wicker cushioned ottomans that double as shorter seats. These chairs purchased from either (Target or Home Depot) are lightweight and don't slide around much even on winding roads. They can be moved easily or taken outside when necessary (making a huge open space in the living room for over-sized projects!) The chairs (and ottomans) make nice foot rests for the sofa and they fit nicely with the fold-down table to use as a desk with foot rest. I say 'let your chairs be free!'
cdufault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 07:31 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1467854935.804804.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	266147Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1467854978.954630.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	266148

My loose lightweight steel framed wicker chairs with pull out Ottomans. Home depot special under 100 bucks
Old 07-07-2016, 07:10 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1977 24' Argosy 24
North Port , Florida
Pretty and practical = perfect!
Elisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 11:07 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdufault View Post
Attachment 266147Attachment 266148

My loose lightweight steel framed wicker chairs with pull out Ottomans. Home depot special under 100 bucks
I'm curious as to what would happen in a front end collision or roll over accident?

Unfortunately I've been in front end collision that also rolled over 2-1/2 times. I shudder to think what would happen with all the loose stuff that's generally found in a motorhome while traveling!
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 08:37 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1977 28' Argosy 28
Katy , Texas
Smile Found a (temporary?) solution!

Thank you, all, for your comments and suggestions.

1. I definitely plan to check out what's going on beneath the carpet and floor.

2. I took the swivel chairs out and am storing them in my garage.

3. I bought a pair of 1971 Leg-o-Matic folding chairs with avocado green vinyl seats (apparently used in old Airstreams) to use as seating around the folding table. The wood is the same walnut finish that's used on the cabinets, etc. in the motorhome. And the avocado seats complement the pumpkin orange and harvest gold decor I've lovingly put in place to evoke that 70s vibe. I made curtains out of vintage sunflower fabric that has all three colors in it. The dinette and couch area I chose to visually separate with curtains that have the same colors in an old-world map design.

4. I am attaching photos of the chairs here. They are the pictures from the ebay ad where I bought them. I will take pictures of the chairs in the Argosy so you guys can see the completed effect.

Thanks again, everyone!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	legomatic1.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	266947   Click image for larger version

Name:	legomatic2.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	266948  

Name:	legomatic3.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	266949  
Old 07-21-2016, 02:32 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
Both situations would be dire with or without the light loose chairs. I think in a front ender the chairs would be stopped by front chair platform, the doghouse and the captain chair backs. In a rollover, these chairs are lighter than the built in stove that would likely leave its mount or the tool box and spare parts under the gaucho. I guess my answer to both would be to have a strong faith in God.