Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Argosy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-13-2006, 11:48 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member
Airstream Dealer

1973 27' Overlander
1977 28' Argosy 28
Boxtel , Out of USA
Stripping the Paint

Hi,
I just bought an "28 Argosy Motorhome (1977). I hate the paint on the outside though. So I'm planning to strip the paint and see if I can polish it just like my other Airstream trailers. I noticed that the top is not made of aluminum so that has to be painted. Anybody know what I can expect underneath the paint?
Rene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 12:03 PM   #2
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene
Hi,
I just bought an "28 Argosy Motorhome (1977). I hate the paint on the outside though. So I'm planning to strip the paint and see if I can polish it just like my other Airstream trailers. I noticed that the top is not made of aluminum so that has to be painted. Anybody know what I can expect underneath the paint?
Hi Rene,
The Argosies are aluminum, the end caps are galvanized steel. Perhaps you could paint it a nice silver gray color? I have seen several units painted the light metallic gray color (including Airstreams) and they looked sharp.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 12:12 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Paint it silver

If you use the SEARCH function, I think you'll find that there are threads complete with pictures of people who have painted their trailers silver - and done such a good job that until you walk up and actually touch them, you don't realize it's paint.

If you have more than one Airstream/Argosy, wouldn't it make sense to have ONE that doesn't need to be polished?

See you down the road, Paula Ford
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 12:18 PM   #4
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Rene-

There are several threads on painting Argocys, run throught the search function. If you already have AS that shine, why not have fun with the MOHO and paint it something fun, like bright yelow with flames?
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 12:34 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hello Rene -- and welcome to the Forums! I would have to concur that repainting is a good idea. Galvanized end caps cannot be polished and would not resemble polished aluminum in any event. I used the search function quickly and it was hard to find what I wanted. I have seen member BigAl's painted Airstream and it was very hard to tell the difference from two meters away (discussed on the http://www.airforums.com/forums/f311/painted-classic-20562.html thread). I recall another frequent contributor here who once posted pictures of his aluminum painted Airstream -- it couldn't be polished but looked very normal.

Be careful stripping. You want to leave the steel end cap galvanizing as undisturbed as possible. Andy at Inland RV talked me through the process -- the bare galvanized steel needs an acid preparation, then epoxy primer before your final coat. The aluminum side sheeting cannot be sandblasted or blasted with nut shell particles, soda, or plastic beads -- it will warp.

It's interesting that you have an Argosy motorhome in Europe. That would be quite a story! Come back with your questions.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 12:51 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member
Airstream Dealer

1973 27' Overlander
1977 28' Argosy 28
Boxtel , Out of USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canoe stream
Hello Rene -- and welcome to the Forums! I would have to concur that repainting is a good idea. Galvanized end caps cannot be polished and would not resemble polished aluminum in any event. I used the search function quickly and it was hard to find what I wanted. I have seen member BigAl's painted Airstream and it was very hard to tell the difference from two meters away (discussed on the http://www.airforums.com/forums/f311/painted-classic-20562.html thread). I recall another frequent contributor here who once posted pictures of his aluminum painted Airstream -- it couldn't be polished but looked very normal.

Be careful stripping. You want to leave the steel end cap galvanizing as undisturbed as possible. Andy at Inland RV talked me through the process -- the bare galvanized steel needs an acid preparation, then epoxy primer before your final coat. The aluminum side sheeting cannot be sandblasted or blasted with nut shell particles, soda, or plastic beads -- it will warp.

It's interesting that you have an Argosy motorhome in Europe. That would be quite a story! Come back with your questions.
All Airstreams in EU are quite a story. Sometimes drives you nuts. I started with an 1973 Overlander. Had to be stripped from clearcoat and polished. Since it is used as a promotional vehicle I cannot put the clearcoat on again. Everytime I pull off a sticker the clearcoat would be damaged.
Second trailer is a 1963 Sovereign. No signs of clearcoat on that one so it polishes real good.
The third I purchased last week is the Argosy. I really hate the paint. So stripping it would be the first option. I userd the search function in the meantime and found out the comments of Inland RV. Funny that that company comes up with the documentation of the MH. A good paint job is a thourough paint job. The sticker problem remains though.
I'm thinking it over
Thanks everybody for the posts
René from Holland (Airstream Holland - Alles over airstreams en airstreamers - de all you need is love caravan) Pix there too!
Old 12-13-2006, 01:01 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
There are a couple photos of a stripped & polished Argosy trailer (post 4) and a painted Airstream (post 9) here: http://www.airforums.com/forum...int-26905.html

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 02:03 PM   #8

Currently Looking...
1975 24' Argosy 24
silverton , Texas
I had my 1975 24ft. painted silver in 2000 my argosy. They scuffed up the orginal paint (it was tight) sprayed on self etching primer,silver, burgundy stripe and presto it still looks great. Fi the stickers are a worry use Imron aircraft/truck paint. Good luck. Pete
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 07:41 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Nice site Rene, good luck with your newest project. If you're still stuck on polishing you could also paint the end caps with a chrome paint. The best version of this often attempted substitue for chrome plating is Alsacorp.com as they are the best of the best in this field. On my long, long, long list of to do's is a wish to use this finish on my top side but short of my reflective white top. Painting the top a reflective white will help diminish the solar heating during the warmer months and also keep you off the roof when it comes time to polish. How about posting some before photos of your new toy? We like photos here.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 02:14 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member
Airstream Dealer

1973 27' Overlander
1977 28' Argosy 28
Boxtel , Out of USA
In january I will start with the Argosy project. This is how it looks now...after 10 years in a backyard!
René
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Afbeelding004.JPG
Views:	210
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	29756   Click image for larger version

Name:	Afbeelding005.JPG
Views:	177
Size:	137.3 KB
ID:	29757  

Old 01-05-2007, 01:29 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member
Airstream Dealer

1973 27' Overlander
1977 28' Argosy 28
Boxtel , Out of USA
Arrived today

Hi,
The Argosy arrived today. The restauration work can commence!
Old 01-19-2007, 04:22 PM   #12
tn2
DixieDove

1978 Argosy 27
1978 28' Argosy 28
Camden , Tennessee
Nice looking Argosy MH..... I just bought a 1978 model that I will pick up this Tuesday (1-22-07) Looks just like yours. We plan to restore ours a well. If you can post some inside pictures of your MH

Charles
Old 05-24-2007, 01:33 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member
Airstream Dealer

1973 27' Overlander
1977 28' Argosy 28
Boxtel , Out of USA
I've been away for a while. My MoHo is complete empty. No floor or walls. Perfect for a thourough restauration
René
Old 11-02-2009, 06:17 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
Bullhead City , Arizona
Canoe stream

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeStream View Post

Excuse me, Mr. canoe stream, could you tell me where else I could find this info? Thank You.
Old 07-31-2010, 03:41 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1981 28' Airstream 280
Santa Barbara , California
did you ever take pictures? Can you post some?
warrenivan is offline   Reply With Quote